Damp Opinion's on Hab Check needed :)

Penny13

Hi guys/girls could you share your opinion on buying this Swift Bolero with this habitation check done last year. We have been told they lifted the Lino and dried it out until readings were 14/16 ?
Paddison - AX12KPO - Damp 19-07-23.jpeg
Paddison - AX12KPO - Damp 19-07-23.jpeg
Paddison - AX12KPO - Sales Service 19-07-23.jpeg

A 20% reading is not that high, and I suspect the Lino prevented ventilation of the floor. The fact that the readings dropped soon after is good. But what concerns me is when this was done in July when you would have thought the van would be giving lower readings than in winter. I have no personal experience of Swift but many on here don’t rate them for this and other reasons. They do appear to have a poor reputation for dampness.
Are you buying from a dealership giving a warranty, or is there any residual water ingress warranty from Swift left.
Also what readings is the floor giving now, this could have been a spillage and only temporary.
I have a golden rule when making such a purchase, if you have any doubts don’t. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
How did the floor get wet enough to need to lift the vinyl and let it dry out?

Swift have probably sold more motorhomes here than any other brand I suspect so they must be doing something right. The reason we probably see more problems with them is there are so many of them! Any coach built van can suffer from Damp.

I would maybe get an independent hab check. If its had a problem how was it fixed?

Swift have probably sold more motorhomes here than any other brand I suspect so they must be doing something right. The reason we probably see more problems with them is there are so many of them! Any coach built van can suffer from Damp.

I would maybe get an independent hab check. If its had a problem how was it fixed?
My thoughts entirely Barry.
The only ones we hear of are the ones with issues.
I know someone who has owned three with only minor niggles.

The Bolero we had was trouble from the day we collected it. One of the problems I had was a door frame that was glued to the paneling. The paneling was ply with a paper finish to make it look like wood. The first thing I noticed was the door not staying shut. Then the paper started coming off the ply. Finished up taking it all apart and screwing it altogether. After two years I took the Dealer to Small Claims Court to get some of the money back I had spent and something for the time spent fixing it. They eventually paid me £2000 as a gesture of goodwill. The Dealer was totally useless. Book in with 5 or 6 faults to fix. Take a day off work to take it in and collect it only to find out they either had the wrong part or they only had time to look at one of the problems. If you are into DIY it will keep you busy. As others said why was it so wet and miraculously now it's not. Sounds like it leaks. Loads of others out there that don't leak like a sieve unfortunately non have the habitation door on the left nor do they have the UK Spec.

If in doubt don’t buy. You will always be wondering after some wet weather is the floor we

I wouldn’t touch it personally, for a simple reason.

It was damp, they dried it out (without knowing or fixing the cause) then measured it and said “hey it’s now drier”. Well it will be.

If in doubt, look for another one.

Hi guys/girls could you share your opinion on buying this Swift Bolero with this habitation check done last year. We have been told they lifted the Lino and dried it out until readings were 14/16 ? View attachment 129375View attachment 129376View attachment 129377
Damp floor? Could it be a leak from the water system? Are pipes traceable? Prob not. Our tank filler pipe split and so when filling the van with a hose we were filling the van! But our driveway is pretty steep so all the water went out the back doors pdq, and as it was 30°c + at the time dried out fast so no long term smells or issues.

Back