Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

Ok Mark, I still reckon if you cross over to the wrong side of the road and hit an oncoming vehicle you are at fault, regardless of what word is in use. But the wording I used came from the government website. But no more from me.
I will avoid head on collisions whilst on the wrong side of the road, just in case your wrong :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Best to avoid head on collisions on both sides of a road, regardless of who has priority :p :ROFLMAO:

Seemingly the original 20MPH zones were only triggering offences in zones that were already 20mph prior to the blanket change last year but only if the vehicle was travelling over 26 Mph so 30% over the limit, I think only 9 people were prostituted to date!

Now they are tightening up and it's 24 Mph in all of them so they may catch another one or two!

I can't say i've noticed many people obeying 2, 24 or 26 MPH at least not the tailgaters that hurtle up behind me whenever I enter one of these wretched zones.
But thats really no difference to what happens when obeying the 30 or 40 mph zones there's a lot of incompetent tailgaters out there

Ok Mark, I still reckon if you cross over to the wrong side of the road and hit an oncoming vehicle you are at fault, regardless of what word is in use. But the wording I used came from the government website. But no more from me.
I will avoid head on collisions whilst on the wrong side of the road, just in case your wrong :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I wish it was that easy Bill.

Not far from me there is a chicane just before a bend so if you go round the chicane you are entering a bend on the wrong side of the road. It has been like this for years and there have been numerous accidents there but the council won't move the chicane.

You couldn't make it up!

I wish it was that easy Bill.

Not far from me there is a chicane just before a bend so if you go round the chicane you are entering a bend on the wrong side of the road. It has been like this for years and there have been numerous accidents there but the council won't move the chicane.

You couldn't make it up!
Sounds like it’s in the wrong place Rob. Any we have up here that I have seen are situated on straight sections of road, exactly where some drivers tend to speed, and where you can see oncoming vehicles, not before a bend.

Sounds like it’s in the wrong place Rob. Any we have up here that I have seen are situated on straight sections of road, exactly where some drivers tend to speed, and where you can see oncoming vehicles, not before a bend.

It most definitely is in the wrong place Bill. Why can't the council see this?

He said that there would be changes to the existing default 20mph speed limit in built-up areas with the "voice of citizens at the heart of all we do".
Lets see if they allow people to vote for the speed limit to be raised in their own road.

Such a storm in a teacup!
All councils can already change the speed limits if the need/want to (and many have done so). The new law just sped up the process of bringing in 20mph limits in urban areas.
For example, in Cardiff, when the new law came in last year only 24 streets in the city changed their speed limits. They had already spent 8 years introducing 20mph!
The Leader of Cardiff Council was on Y Byd yn ei Le on S4C talking about this. Below is an English Language article from ITV about his appearance on the programme, if anyone is interested.....

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2024...a-dozen-20mph-roads-could-be-reviewed-in-city

“Half a dozen” 20mph roads in Cardiff could revert to their original speed limit, according to the Leader of Cardiff Council.
Speaking to Catrin Haf Jones on S4C’s Y Byd yn ei Le, Labour Councillor Huw Thomas said: "I can say that certainly in Cardiff’s case, there will be a review. This is a policy we’ve been introducing in Cardiff over a number of years.
"When the law came into place in September, only 24 streets in the city changed their speed limits.”
When asked whether any of these streets will change from a 20mph limit, Huw Thomas responded: “Half a dozen, possibly.”
When asked what lead him to that number, Mr Thomas said it was a “sniff test.”
“I think it’s right we look and listen. But generally, the speed limits will stay as they are.”
The 20mph limit in urban and residential areas came into force across Wales in September 2023, and has been met with opposition in the Senedd from the Welsh Conservatives. A petition calling on the Welsh Government to remove the law has received nearly 500,000 signatures.
Transport Secretary Ken Skates said in response to a debate tabled by the Conservatives in the Senedd on Wednesday that there will be a review into 20mph zones to ensure that they’re “targeted” in areas “where children and the elderly are at risk.”
“I think the change of emphasis shows how Vaughan Gething and Ken Skates want to be a government that listens, and that’s to be welcomed,” said Mr Thomas.
“I think the opposition has made a lot of fuss over this policy. But very simply, what the law does is enable local councils to have 20mph in place as a minimum.
Here in Cardiff, over the last eight years of introducing 20mph in ward after ward after ward, it was a very long process to achieve that - and the new law says ‘That’s the minimum, if you want to increase the speed, you can do that’, and you have to go through a long process to increase the speed.
That is what’s to be welcomed in what Ken Skates is suggesting now, that councils will have that power."
Newly appointed Transport Secretary Ken Skates will make his first ministerial statement on the Welsh Government's transport policies in the Senedd this coming Tuesday.
You can watch Y Byd yn ei Le on S4C, S4C Clic and BBC iPlayer. Y Byd yn ei Le is produced for S4C by ITV Cymru Wales.

Such a storm in a teacup!
All councils can already change the speed limits if the need/want to (and many have done so). The new law just sped up the process of bringing in 20mph limits in urban areas.
For example, in Cardiff, when the new law came in last year only 24 streets in the city changed their speed limits. They had already spent 8 years introducing 20mph!
The Leader of Cardiff Council was on Y Byd yn ei Le on S4C talking about this. Below is an English Language article from ITV about his appearance on the programme, if anyone is interested.....

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2024...a-dozen-20mph-roads-could-be-reviewed-in-city

“Half a dozen” 20mph roads in Cardiff could revert to their original speed limit, according to the Leader of Cardiff Council.
Speaking to Catrin Haf Jones on S4C’s Y Byd yn ei Le, Labour Councillor Huw Thomas said: "I can say that certainly in Cardiff’s case, there will be a review. This is a policy we’ve been introducing in Cardiff over a number of years.
"When the law came into place in September, only 24 streets in the city changed their speed limits.”
When asked whether any of these streets will change from a 20mph limit, Huw Thomas responded: “Half a dozen, possibly.”
When asked what lead him to that number, Mr Thomas said it was a “sniff test.”
“I think it’s right we look and listen. But generally, the speed limits will stay as they are.”
The 20mph limit in urban and residential areas came into force across Wales in September 2023, and has been met with opposition in the Senedd from the Welsh Conservatives. A petition calling on the Welsh Government to remove the law has received nearly 500,000 signatures.
Transport Secretary Ken Skates said in response to a debate tabled by the Conservatives in the Senedd on Wednesday that there will be a review into 20mph zones to ensure that they’re “targeted” in areas “where children and the elderly are at risk.”
“I think the change of emphasis shows how Vaughan Gething and Ken Skates want to be a government that listens, and that’s to be welcomed,” said Mr Thomas.
“I think the opposition has made a lot of fuss over this policy. But very simply, what the law does is enable local councils to have 20mph in place as a minimum.
Here in Cardiff, over the last eight years of introducing 20mph in ward after ward after ward, it was a very long process to achieve that - and the new law says ‘That’s the minimum, if you want to increase the speed, you can do that’, and you have to go through a long process to increase the speed.
That is what’s to be welcomed in what Ken Skates is suggesting now, that councils will have that power."
Newly appointed Transport Secretary Ken Skates will make his first ministerial statement on the Welsh Government's transport policies in the Senedd this coming Tuesday.
You can watch Y Byd yn ei Le on S4C, S4C Clic and BBC iPlayer. Y Byd yn ei Le is produced for S4C by ITV Cymru Wales.
The power should never have been taken away from councils in the first place. That’s exactly what was wrong in my honest opinion, and to say that these speed limits should be targeted is exactly what exacerbated the issue, and led to over 500,000 signatures against this law. Of course speed limits should be targeted, and not set carte blanche across a whole nation. I hope this gives the Scottish government food for thought on this issue, but knowing this lot I would not hold my breath.

Last edited:
One thing that really gets my goat are sleeping policemen in areas were driving at the speed limit would damage your vehicle owing to potholes. And there should be a standard model for sleeping policemen, some are far too severe. There is a street in Paisley where folk could not get a taxi, as most taxis refused to drive over the sleeping policemen in their street. I knew someone who lived there and even at 10 mph they were scary. Also I have seen sleeping policemen with no paintwork, as they have not been maintained properly. Come to think of it, I just hate sleeping policemen.
I first encountered them in Algeria in the late ‘70s. Each one had an impressive display of dissembled rusty exhaust systems.

The power should never have been taken away from councils in the first place. That’s exactly what was wrong in my honest opinion, and to say that these speed limits should be targeted is exactly what exacerbated the issue, and led to over 500,000 signatures against this law. Of course speed limits should be targeted, and not set carte blanche across a whole nation. I hope this gives the Scottish government food for thought on this issue, but knowing this lot I would not hold my breath.
Unfortunately, it's due to the failure of a large number of people to understand the legislation as enacted. The media hyperbole has not helped, stoking some sort of culture war when it's simply not necessary.

Speed limits throughout the UK are covered by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Any council can change a speed limit using a TRO under section 84. The new law in Wales merely sped up the process for the many councils which wanted to bring in 20 limits in urban areas.

Ken Skates will make his statement on Tuesday, hopefully making it sound like the ongoing reviews and changes are a "new" thing, and fingers crossed the very vocal minority will settle down a bit. The wording of the petition is hilarious! But the location map for the 469,571 signatories is quite interesting. Click the links if you want to have a look.

Wales Statutory Instruments 2022 No. 800 (W. 177) is very clear that county councils retain their power under section 82(2) of the RTRA for any restricted road as described in section 81. Any road subject to a speed limit imposed by section 84(1)(a) of the Act is not a restricted road, so the speed limit imposed by the S.84(1)(a) order would continue to apply. The general speed limit for restricted roads reduced from 30 miles per hour to 20 miles per hour in Wales. No other provisions of the Act were amended.

Move along...... Nothing to see here...... Overhaul!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The 2009 Guidance is out of date. It is being updated LINK. In January 2024 the WG said "A local speed limit can be set to meet local needs and considerations. This includes areas where it is desirable to drive at a different speed to the national speed limit."
Ken Skates trying to do his best "Politics PR" yesterday, bless him!

Pointless having these limits without enforcement
I watched a pathetic immature adult in a black golf go so fast over the bridge at Llanwrst a few days ago he actually seemed airborne for a moment, we barely managed to avoid being mown down

Back