PDA

View Full Version : Lay by stop overs

grath
29-01-2007, 08:26
If traveling south on the A1, there are a couple of set back lay by's on the A1 within a few miles south of the A14.
The best one is the 2nd one & just after the first roundabout after the A14.
It is on a left hand bend & comes up on you very quick, so please be ready to turn in.
;)
The first one is clearly visable & within 5 mins of the A14.
It is on a slight right hand bend & slight up hill, going over a road bridge.

Edited
I think I might have done it again! This is in Bedfordshire, although only half an hour from Stevenage!!OOPS

billy1000
28-02-2007, 14:32
Think you got it a bit too far south mate. The layby's are in Cambridgeshire as the Cambridge/Bedford borders start just south of Eaton Socon. First one just past Alconbury and second one just past Buckden? Are they the ones you mean?

28-02-2007, 17:18
Think you got it a bit too far south mate. The layby's are in Cambridgeshire as the Cambridge/Bedford borders start just south of Eaton Socon. First one just past Alconbury and second one just past Buckden? Are they the ones you mean?
No, my friend.
The lay by's are exactly where I said & I use them frequently.;)
I realize that they are not in Hertfordshire:o & I thought that I mentioned that.
They are south of the A14 & north of Sandy. I presume that they are in Bedfordshire:D

billy1000
28-02-2007, 17:23
No, my friend.
The lay by's are exactly where I said & I use them frequently.;)
I realize that they are not in Hertfordshire:o & I thought that I mentioned that.
They are south of the A14 & north of Sandy. I presume that they are in Bedfordshire:D

It was when you said they were within 5 minutes of the A14 that made me think you meant the ones I said about. Do you know which ones I mean? The only decent one I can think of North of Sandy and before the A14 are the Black Cat and the one just before (about a half mile) the A14

28-02-2007, 17:30
It was when you said they were within 5 minutes of the A14 that made me think you meant the ones I said about. Do you know which ones I mean? The only decent one I can think of North of Sandy and before the A14 are the Black Cat and the one just before (about a half mile) the A14
Just had a look on Autoroute as I don't know the names of the villages.
The first one is before B:D uckden and the second one must be after.
However if you go by my original directions you will find them ok.
I presume that the one that u mention just south of Alconbury is north of the A 14 & therefore is not one of the one's mentioned by me!

billy1000
28-02-2007, 17:35
The only ones (presuming you are heading north) that I can think of that are decent ones that sit back off the road are the Black cat which is about four miles before Buckden and the one just before the A14 split. I think there are a couple before you get to the Black cat, one by Tempsford where there is a cafe and a car sales lot and a bit further up where there is one where a cafe on stilts called Grizzlies is?

28-02-2007, 17:40
The only ones (presuming you are heading north) that I can think of that are decent ones that sit back off the road are the Black cat which is about four miles before Buckden and the one just before the A14 split. I think there are a couple before you get to the Black cat, one by Tempsford where there is a cafe and a car sales lot and a bit further up where there is one where a cafe on stilts called Grizzlies is?
Billy, In my first post I did say heading south and that is what I am refering to.
Ur layby's are different one's if you are heading north.
The one that I said was the best one has a small lake alongside it (over the hedge)
I know the one's that you refer to, but to be honest I never bother with village names.

billy1000
28-02-2007, 17:44
Billy, In my first post I did say heading south and that is what I am refering to.
Ur layby's are different one's if you are heading north.
The one that I said was the best one has a small lake alongside it (over the hedge)
I know the one's that you refer to, but to be honest I never bother with village names.

Sorry mate, didn't read your first post properly by the looks of it. Think the first one is by Southoe but can't for the life of me think where the second one is and I lived in that area most of my life off and on.

28-02-2007, 17:48
Hi Billy, That 2nd lay by is the one that I use most of the time.
It is on a left hand bend, set back with a few trees (bushes)between it & the road, although at this time of the year the trees do not shelter the layby:eek:

billy1000
28-02-2007, 17:52
If you look across the road from the layby there are what look like a row of council houses and if you walk down the road between them, get to the bottom of the road, turn left and there is a nice little village pub on the right. It is only about five minutes walk from the layby. Think it's called the three horshoes or something like that. Only one in the village anyway.

28-02-2007, 17:53
Not rude but must go as food on table:cool:

billy1000
28-02-2007, 17:58

OK. Be safe.:)

virgil
28-02-2007, 18:04

Tastes better on plates M8!

28-02-2007, 18:25
If you look across the road from the layby there are what look like a row of council houses and if you walk down the road between them, get to the bottom of the road, turn left and there is a nice little village pub on the right. It is only about five minutes walk from the layby. Think it's called the three horshoes or something like that. Only one in the village anyway.
Hi Billy, I can't place the houses, but there again I have never been looking as I normally apply the handbrake, and have a quick kip. Then wake up & go.
That is of course with a truck.;)
I would never except in an emergency overnight in a lay by with the m/h.:eek: Much nicer, quieter & safer places to stop.:cool:

Trevor
28-02-2007, 20:35
I normally apply the handbrake, and have a quick kip. Then wake up & go.
I would never except in an emergency overnight in a lay by with the m/h.:eek: Much nicer, quieter & safer places to stop.:cool:
I agree with that, there has been a few times when i have been driving
back up north and been realy tired so I pull in to the first layby usually on the A1 thats ok for an hour or two untill the heavy duty motors rock you out of bed :eek: ,dont think i could last a whole night in a layby.;)

billy1000
28-02-2007, 21:34
I guess it's what you get used too Trevor. I spent so many years overnighting in a lorry in a layby, usually with a fridge on the trailer that once asleep it would take an eartquake to wake me up. Funny thing was that once I came off fridges I found it hard to sleep without the noise from the fridge.

Trevor
01-03-2007, 08:57
I guess it's what you get used too Trevor. I spent so many years overnighting in a lorry in a layby, usually with a fridge on the trailer that once asleep it would take an eartquake to wake me up. Funny thing was that once I came off fridges I found it hard to sleep without the noise from the fridge.
Yep you are right Billy, do you get tired next to the fridges when shopping.Bet your milk never went off in those days.;)

billy1000
01-03-2007, 09:31
Yep you are right Billy, do you get tired next to the fridges when shopping.Bet your milk never went off in those days.;)

Don't get tired in shop mate. Don't do shopping.:)

Trevor
01-03-2007, 10:26
:)
Don't get tired in shop mate. Don't do shopping
Just wondering Billy what part of the country are you in now.:)

billy1000
01-03-2007, 12:58
Between Bury St Edmunds and Cambridge. Just on way to ex wifes house to pick my lad up for his football training. He trains with the Academy at Norwich City.

virgil
01-03-2007, 13:00
He trains with the Academy at Norwich City.

:D Poor lad :D

billy1000
01-03-2007, 13:04
:D Poor lad :D

Not for a 13 year old. He done 53 goals in 31 games last season.

Trevor
01-03-2007, 13:36
Not for a 13 year old. He done 53 goals in 31 games last season.
He may be a future star who knows.;)

billy1000
01-03-2007, 20:08
He may be a future star who knows.;)

As long as he enjoys it mate that's the main thing. Never know though do you?

02-03-2007, 05:15
I agree with that, there has been a few times when i have been driving
back up north and been realy tired so I pull in to the first layby usually on the A1 thats ok for an hour or two untill the heavy duty motors rock you out of bed :eek: ,dont think i could last a whole night in a layby.;)
Yes Trevor, I can't see the point in overnighting in a lay by.We are not driving big trucks that need the layby's due to their size. And although I didn't night out much in the UK with a truck, I do realize how difficult it is to find a suitable rest area.
Only yesterday in a lay by that I use frequently, signs were in the process of erection stating no overnighting for trucks.:eek: Who would do that job now?? Joe public against U, the government against U. Sad!.:eek:
Just drive into a village & get off the main trunk roads. Much quieter & safer. :cool: But everyone to their own.

GARY ENGLISH
02-03-2007, 08:28
Just out of intrest has any trucker had a ticket , for overnight parking.This all seems a bit of a nightmare ,if you are only allowed to drive so long what are you so post to do ,when all these parking restrictions.People seem to be moaning about enerything ,rip of britain cant they get any thing right. Sorrry felt like a moan ,just heard about the road charges they are on about now.

cas
02-03-2007, 08:37
I think a trucker would have a good defence as if they have a taco they have to stop after a certain time,

billy1000
02-03-2007, 09:08
I stopped in a layby on the A14 near Ipswich years ago and was woken up at 3am by the police telling me that unless I put my lights on they would nick me. Anything over 3.5 tonnes has to show a marker light if parked on a road but wasn't aware that it also meant a layby.

Trevor
02-03-2007, 09:37
Just out of interest has any trucker had a ticket , for overnight parking.This all seems a bit of a nightmare ,if you are only allowed to drive so long what are you so post to do ,when all these parking restrictions.
I would think that the powers that be would tell truckers that is what truck stops are for.
I have sent for a list of the UK truck stops FREE from the movement department of transport I am waiting for it to arrive through the post, as I have been informed that some of these truck stops are camper van motohome friendly and will allow stays for a fee, truck stops do normally have showers toilets and cheaper meals than motorway cafe's plus some also have pubs.
I think they will be a lot safer than a layby, but if you are driving the next day early dont have a skinfull of ale for obvious reasons.
All you that drive trucks or used to will probably know a bit more than I do on this subject so give us some feedback please. Cheers.:confused:

billy1000
05-03-2007, 16:34
Never had a ticket myself but I used to stay in a labye for my nights out. Point is that the law states you must only drive a maximum of 10 hours per day on only two occasions per week so if I were to be coming up to the 10 hour limit I would pull over at the safest spot available and if the Police moved me on they are required by law to sign my tachograph. By doing this they are allowing me to exceed the daily driving hours. Most times now I stay in a labye with my m/h as it is longer than some of the rigid vehicles that overnight there so need more room than they do.

grath
05-03-2007, 16:47
I would think that the powers that be would tell truckers that is what truck stops are for.
I have sent for a list of the UK truck stops FREE from the movement department of transport I am waiting for it to arrive through the post, as I have been informed that some of these truck stops are camper van motohome friendly and will allow stays for a fee, truck stops do normally have showers toilets and cheaper meals than motorway cafe's plus some also have pubs.
I think they will be a lot safer than a layby, but if you are driving the next day early dont have a skinfull of ale for obvious reasons.
All you that drive trucks or used to will probably know a bit more than I do on this subject so give us some feedback please. Cheers.:confused:
If all trucks went on to truck stops, they would be oversubscribed a few hundred times at least.:eek: Truck stops are also pretty noisy :eek: as trucks come & go at all times & when fridges r on automatic, they switch on/off as temperature drops.
Some have good food & some do not.
Showers are available!
Regarding price, yes a little lower than M way café's.
The best truck stops are on the European mainland!, but better still a French routier!

Trevor
05-03-2007, 19:53
If all trucks went on to truck stops, they would be oversubscribed a few hundred times at least.:eek: Truck stops are also pretty noisy :eek: as trucks come & go at all times & when fridges r on automatic, they switch on/off as temperature drops.
Some have good food & some do not.
Showers are available!
Regarding price, yes a little lower than M way café's.
The best truck stops are on the European mainland!, but better still a French routier!
Cheers for that, point taken about the noise, :(

billy1000
05-03-2007, 20:23
Cheers for that, point taken about the noise, :(

Not only that, truckstops are not like the old roadside cafes of years gone by. Nowadays they charge an arm and a leg especially if you use the BP Truckstops.

grath
05-03-2007, 21:44
Not only that, truckstops are not like the old roadside cafes of years gone by. Nowadays they charge an arm and a leg especially if you use the BP Truckstops.
The BP truck stops in France are just as bad.:eek: I used them when they were newish but Routiers are much better quality & lower prices. :cool: In most other countries U can park & eat anywhere for a sensible price;)

David & Ann
06-03-2007, 03:20
Driving from London to Cornwall, we stopped at Honiton on the A30 at a "Little Chef" for a cuppa and a cigarette. A few minutes later an employee comes out and demanded £1 for parking. He explained it was only free for customers. I apoligised, got in the MH ready to drive off. Ann threw him 7 pence for the 4 minutes we were there. I had to laugh when Ann told the guy as we were driving off, that he owed here 4/10's of a pence which she would pick up on our return journey, knowing that he would not have the exact change. I asked Ann, how did she come to that figure. She said, £1 for 60 minutes. we were there for 4 minutes = 1.66p a minute. I had to throw away 1/2 a roll up, seeing it cost nearly £11 for 50g. :D

rupert
06-03-2007, 08:35
Hi David & Ann, I like ur style:D but I can also see where they were coming from!
I presume that it was a car park for patrons of that establishment only.
The problem is that where do they draw the line? If they let all & sundry park, there would soon,not be room for genuine customers.:eek:
It is on a main holiday route & I would imagine that they get a little fed up of cars, caravans & dare I say motorhomes parking & not buying anything & probably some cheeky blighter's (not motorhomers) would even go inside & use the toilets.:eek:
I would imagine that the Duty Manager made the decision that you were not a prospective customer & therefore no loss to his customer relations.
Customer relations is a very fine balance of things.
Just like when we return items to a store because they do not fit or we have changed our mind.
They accept them to help their customer relations, as they are only obliged to accept faulty goods.
This is called "Goodwill"
I can understand that U probably will now have a downer on these establishments, but try to understand their point of view.:confused:
Please note that this is not criticism , just thoughts!:D

Firefox
25-08-2009, 11:57
Can see the point about customer relations, but big businesses have got to be pretty careful over petty details. Everyone is going to be their potential customer at sometime.

For example, I was eating a meal in McDonalds and had laptop plugged into a wall. Manager came over and told me to remove plug (as it was a "health and safety issue" :rolleyes: and they were "not a cybercafe" (even though they provided free wifi ! )). I've never had any problem plugging in a laptop at any other eatery. Hence said chain will be relieved of my custom for evermore.

channa
25-08-2009, 20:20
A couple of laybyes suitable further north on the A1.

Firstly southbound just north of Doncaster Robin Hoods well. It is set back off the road but as others have alluded to it is predominatly a truck stop so ear plugs are perhaps required.

Laybye number two is Northbound on the A1, Take the road for Wentbridge and there are two laybyes to choose both very quiet. The village itself which is 800 metre walk has a pub called the Blue Bell. Nice food and interesting furniture all mouseman of Kilburn.

Channa

lescombes
24-09-2009, 07:17
The first layby mentioned going south from the A14 is just before the village of Buckden and the second layby mentioned is on the Southoe bends at Southoe and the layby backs onto Little Paxton gravel pits....if you stop at Southoe, take extra care if you cross the A1 to go into to the Southoe village.
You used to be able to stop at Grafham Water reservoir but Anglian Water and our traveler friends have put paid to that........ 2m height barriers AND all but one car park is locked overnight too.....
I must try Brampton Woods....this has a small car park (big enough for 3 coachbuilt vans) and is adjacent to the woods and behind a hedged boundary.......

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS