PDA

View Full Version : Haweswater - Cumbria

Steve & Carol
30-01-2007, 11:47
Hi!
At the end of next month, we are planning a trip the Haweswater, from memory, there is a decent sized car park (at the end of the reservior), but neither of us can remember if there any "No Overnight Camping" signs up. Hopefully there won't be, because, it will make an ideal "stopover", lovely scenery and solitude.
If anyone can advise on this, if not we are going up there to try anyway, and will post the results.

Graham Hadfield
30-01-2007, 15:53
There are contact details for the Haweswater Estate on the United Utilities web site Here. (http://www.unitedutilities.com/?OBH=445&ID=720)

Graham

stevek
30-01-2007, 18:56
Steve & Carol.I,ve stayed there before and I frequently leave my car there when backpacking.There are no signs prohibiting overnight stops.If the car park is full there is a large lay by about 100 yards short of the car park.

Steve & Carol
01-02-2007, 17:57
Thanks very much for that, just had a look, looks interesting and likely to be ok. Sounds like we might be lucky to see an eagle poss. We did see one there, a few years ago, but had heard of one getting killed. If we are lucky, will let you know.

Steve & Carol
01-02-2007, 17:59
Yeah! I think I know the lay-by that you mean, but we will be arriving quite late in the day (straight from work), so hopefully should be ok. Thanks again. Will post the results when we've got back.

mirams
24-08-2007, 12:54
I stayed there in June, no signs saying you shouldn't and a couple more vans there by the morning. Fantastic view and a nice drive in along the reservoir.

jayshell
04-01-2008, 17:09
HI there i was there on the 1st of Jan 2008.
there are no signs saying that you can not park.
it is a fantastic spot with a better lake at the top near the high street.

we also stayed on Wastwater but were moved at about 8 am by a national trust warden who informed us that there is no overnight camping at any of the cumbria lakes.
(just tell him you are night fishing)

:D

Graham Hadfield
04-01-2008, 17:31
we also stayed on Wastwater but were moved at about 8 am by a national trust warden who informed us that there is no overnight camping at any of the cumbria lakes.
(just tell him you are night fishing)

:D

Is it really appropriate to make such an excuse?

The NT go to the trouble of providing detailed parking information on theiw web site for each property where parking is available. The information includes details of height restrictions and narrow roads, which is obviously of assistance when we are driving large vehicles.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to write to the NT (or whoever owns the car park) pointing out benefits which might accrue from allowing reasonable overnight stays (e.g. 1 night in 7)?

If too many people abuse the facilities which are provided we could end up with a total ban on motorhomes in certain car parks - which has happened in some local authority areas already.

A good example is Fylde Council. After receiving a number of complaints about people overnighting illegally the council banned motorhomes from its car parks totally. However, after considered approaches from a number of people they started to allow motorhomes to park during the daytime once more - with the proviso that they will bring in a ban again if the system is abused.

Graham

Belgian
06-01-2008, 20:04
Completely agree with you Graham.
In France,Germany and Italy officials are getting the picture. With us, Benelux and UK not yet.
If local authorities only knew that an average MH supports the locals with 35>85/day (shopping, restaurant,pub,petrol...)(German study in 2003).
But too much we are assocated with hippies, associals, gipsies... name it. In truth most MH-ers are well set people, in their 50-ties, retired. (a MH is worth at least 30.000 ) we are not beggars or criminals. Only loving the spirit of free moving and staying. In France small comunities are well aware that a MH-er staying overnight somewhere is a add-on of social control.
Problem is: changing the mind overhere and overthere !
Maybe we are Don Quichottes, but at the last we'll prevail.
Bombard them, so they cannot longer ignore

Graham Hadfield
06-01-2008, 22:05
Bombard them, so they cannot longer ignore

Unfortunately I think it will be a damp squib rather than a bombardment. Too many people are willing to whinge rather than putting the effort into constructive lobbying.

Graham

wally hope
24-06-2008, 21:40
well,i can say free wild camping is not free.my owner spent over 1000 pounds on me for brakes last year,but i loved them for doing it,lol,but seriously..we spend time to find places out the way so not to disturb people,and when we are disturbed it would be nice to treated the same as we treat strangers,,,,hello,,,,,,how ya doing?where ya going? is that not a nice way to great people.the nt are not maintaining roads,they build tat shops out side stone henge.we do take litter home,get washed,and enjoy being outside,,,,whats the problem,,,,ps,,if going to the lakes,go to wast water,drive round .dont go over the pass,its a place thats magical.....,xxx happy travels

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS