PDA

View Full Version : Swanage

AndyC
12-05-2010, 15:32
I have been informed that this location now has no overnight parking signs

Just had a phone conversation with Swanage Town Council, they told me that motorhomes may stay overnight in the Main Beach Car Park, Victoria Avenue. This has also been confirmed by email.

Overnight parking is in the coach bays and costs 5.50 from 6pm to 9am, outside these times the normal car bays must be used. Only one night is allowed with no return within 7 days.

There is an 'overnight sleeping prohibited' sign but this does not apply to motorhomes, apparently the council can't afford to get it changed at the moment!

AndyC

busydaffodil
12-05-2010, 15:58
Hi, would be useful to have the contact details...cos having it in writing would help alot.

grath
12-05-2010, 15:58
Thanks Andy, I doubt that I will be using but you never know:)

AndyC
12-05-2010, 16:23
Hi, would be useful to have the contact details...cos having it in writing would help alot.
They don't seem to respond to emails, I originally found the info on www.virtual-swanage.co.uk (http://www.virtual-swanage.co.uk/localarea/page.aspx?p=carparks) but, as that doesn't seem to have any official status, I phoned the council on the number given on their website which is 01929 423636. They confirmed the details verbally and, at my request, by email as well.

AndyC

Nosha
12-05-2010, 18:19
That's good news, 'cos it's getting harder and harder around Poole. The lay-bys nr Corfe are so popular in the summer that you have to be there by lunchtime or you can't get in!!

JohnsCrossMotorHomes
16-05-2010, 12:54
You can always use the Thistle Hotel Car Park on Poole Quay, DONT PAY THE HOTEL, pay the car park attendant in the morning.

Just park up, after 4pm the attendants not there so see him in the morning.

Peter

Captain
20-06-2010, 18:42
Small signs have now been added to the meters saying motorhomes can stay the night for 5.50 - 1 night in 7.

AndyC
28-02-2011, 16:26
Sadly Swanage has now banned overnight stays. The reason is explained in this email from the council:

We did allow campervans in Main Beach car park for an overnight stay.
This allowed people the option of staying an extra night, for example,
on a Saturday night if they had to vacate the campsite on Saturday
morning etc. Unfortunately as very often happens, a minority of people
were abusing this facility and using the car park as a campsite. We
received complaints that people were using the public conveniences to
empty their chemical toilets. The toilets (which very often, had just
been cleaned) had to be redone due to spillages.

Complaints were also made that the stream had been used for the same
purpose and very often trees etc were used to hang washing on! At the
Transport Committee Meeting held on 30th November 2010 the following
recommendation was taken:

It was RECOMMENDED TO: Withdraw the opportunity for overnight parking of
campervans in Main Beach and North Beach car parks as a result of
mis-use of the Council's facilities.

Therefore, there are no car parks available for this purpose. There are
a couple of lay-by's in Swanage that motorhomes do use, very often for a
night before they can get into a campsite. These are found at the north
end of Swanage in the vicinity of Ulwell Cottage Caravan Park and
Northbrook Road.

Once again a few have spoilt it for the majority.

AndyC

moy
28-02-2011, 17:02
its seems that we have lost out again because of a few inconsiderate morons, last year it was dawlish and teignmouth, where next?

Canalsman
28-02-2011, 17:31
Perhaps this is too simplistic an approach ... Why not fine the people who are acting in such an anti-social fashion, rather than penalising those who obey the rules?

It's completely cock-eyed and just encourages the flouting of authority.

It make me ANGRY!

AndyC
28-02-2011, 17:41
Perhaps this is too simplistic an approach ... Why not fine the people who are acting in such an anti-social fashion, rather than penalising those who obey the rules?

It's completely cock-eyed and just encourages the flouting of authority.

It make me ANGRY!

It makes me angry too, but my anger is directed at those inconsiderate motorhome users who have, probably permanently, turned this council against the idea of any sort of provision for overnight stays.

Of course it's a simplistic approach by the council, but it's the cheapest option for them at a time when local authorities are looking for any possible way to save money.

AndyC

Canalsman
28-02-2011, 17:48
It makes me angry too, but my anger is directed at those inconsiderate motorhome users who have, probably permanently, turned this council against the idea of any sort of provision for overnight stays.

Of course it's a simplistic approach by the council, but it's the cheapest option for them at a time when local authorities are looking for any possible way to save money.

AndyC

That's the point - if no-one takes any action against those in our society who are inconsiderate, they'll just carry on doing as they wish to the detriment of others.

If they're prohibited from one area, such as we have here, they'll move on elsewhere and do it again.

Someone has to act.

It's the easy option to just move the problem on. But surely if the 'Big Society' idea has any worth, there's a collective responsibility to stop anti-social behaviour. And it may cost the council tax payer some money.

maureenandtom
28-02-2011, 18:30
I hate this petulant whinging about a few spoiling it for the majority. It smacks to me of snivelling teenagers pouting that It's not fair. What do you think you're going to get snivelling like that? Who is there to fear your disapproval? Your disapproval will have no effect on the anti-social yobs (for that's what they are) doing their washing in streams, leaving toilets filthy and so on.

What do these councils do when there is anti-social behaviour elsewhere? Do they whinge about a few spoiling for the rest or do they provide some sort of protection? Cameras to monitor car parks and other places at risk? Routine or perhaps occasional police patrols? There are plenty of people patrolling to monitor car parking and charging; use them to monitor this sort of anti-sociall behaviour. This is daytime stuff, yes? Nobody goes down to a stream to do their washing at midnight. Somebody doing this is doing it in daylight and can be seen and stopped. They WERE seen. Why weren't they stopped?

Do you know, in more than twenty years of motor-caravanning I have rarely seen this sort of behaviour from motor-caravanners, have you? Yes, behaviour that you could call camping. Table and chairs out. Relaxing under an awning. Generally spreading themselves out. Behaviour that makes me uncomfortable. But leaving filth on public toilet floors? Doing their laundry in streams? I've not seen it. Not in England.

I have a suspicion these grounds for banning the rest of us are a bit flimsy and are used by the council to exercise control. The don't say how many complaints or over what period; just that complaints have been received. If there is a problem, and I have doubts that there is a genuine problem, it can be resolved by providing a chemical waste disposal point and a tourist information sign showing where the nearest self-service laundrette is.

Got any better solutions? Whinging won't do any good.

John H
28-02-2011, 18:54
I hate this petulant whinging about a few spoiling it for the majority. It smacks to me of snivelling teenagers pouting that “It's not fair.” What do you think you're going to get snivelling like that? Who is there to fear your disapproval? Your disapproval will have no effect on the anti-social yobs (for that's what they are) doing their washing in streams, leaving toilets filthy and so on.

I have a suspicion these grounds for banning the rest of us are a bit flimsy and are used by the council to exercise control. The don't say how many complaints or over what period; just that complaints have been received. If there is a problem, and I have doubts that there is a genuine problem, it can be resolved by providing a chemical waste disposal point and a tourist information sign showing where the nearest self-service laundrette is.

You say that you don't like the whinging about the few spoiling it for the majority and then you go on to say that councils are banning the majority because of the few. I am not sure what your point is.

John H
28-02-2011, 19:00
But surely if the 'Big Society' idea has any worth, there's a collective responsibility to stop anti-social behaviour. And it may cost the council tax payer some money.

And therin lies the problem - the "Big Society" is all about saving money by getting as much as possible done on a voluntary basis but the reality is that to do anything positive will cost money. It is one of the biggest cons ever perpetrated by any government.

Neckender
28-02-2011, 21:12
We were parked up at Cleveleys near blackpool 2 years ago, Parked up in front of us was an old motorhome with a young rough family in it, anyway we went for a walk early the next morning and when we got back the old motorhome had gone, but this family left on the pavement take away trays empty beer cans and used nappies. No need for it as there are plenty of bins and toilets near by, it makes you think what they live like at home, these are the type of people that spoil it for the rest of us.

John.

dvdholt5
28-02-2011, 23:44
Hello guys, i am actually new to the forum so firstly a big hi from me.

i'm with Maureen and Tom on this one

The Councils will use these examples to make the changes they want. Lets face it the amount of times it happens are pretty rare so its a good way of re-directing the blame onto us guys by associating us with the problem. I have rough camped using a tent for many years and never had a problem, even met the landowners at day break and when they see that you mean no harm and are respectfull and tidy they usually pretty cool if you get on your way or even help them in some way. As a nation people here are pretty untrustworthy so once they know you aren't going to pinch their wifes knickers of they washing line they usually warm to you. ;)

We should by right be able to park anywhere within reason i.e not near someones bathroom window when they taking a bath.. Its simple common sense... The councils incentive is i think money driven by the fines or inpounding that your camper will suffer if the dreaded signs are up.

France however is great, i have been there 20+ times and love the place. Free camping to a degree and great great food. Scotland good also. The people there wouldn't let the authorities get away with what they do here. :o

It seems to me that the majority of the people on this site and rough campers in general and just want to park up, eat some top food, a few beers and enjoy the view. I cant see what's wrong with that?

If it wasn't for the scruffy few who leave the toilets/facilities messy i am sure they would manufacture another reason to stop campers in those places. I think the Authorities fear that as a camper you are self sufficient and therefore do not spend money in the places that you travel. So they've got to charge you in some way be it a fine/campsite or whatever.

Love the site by the way

Just bought my first VW T4 camper fully converted.. woohoo.. tents in the bin, for now anyway ;)

Dave

John Thompson
01-03-2011, 12:13
We should by right be able to park anywhere within reason
Dave

Hi Dave. The right to park/camp anywhere was removed in 1960 because of the same problems that are still being reported ie. Damage to the countryside and Hygiene.

AndyC
01-03-2011, 19:48
If it wasn't for the scruffy few who leave the toilets/facilities messy i am sure they would manufacture another reason to stop campers in those places. I think the Authorities fear that as a camper you are self sufficient and therefore do not spend money in the places that you travel. So they've got to charge you in some way be it a fine/campsite or whatever.
The situation at Swanage was quite the reverse. The council recognised that there was a need for motorhomes to park up overnight close to the town centre, so far from banning them they accommodated them. An inconsiderate few caused problems so the concession was removed.

AndyC

moy
02-03-2011, 21:07
unfortunately, we have seen some of the things going on, not the dumping of waste, but littering, overstaying, not paying for their parking, "cause nobody come round and checks", not really helpig the majority of us to do the things that we like to do without doing any harm

Admin
03-08-2011, 23:48
I have been informed that this location now has no overnight parking

fofeg101
04-08-2011, 05:05
We're new to this Wildcamping lark but I'm making up some rules of my own to avoid aggro.

1) Don't camp near dwellings.
2) Never stay in the same place two nights running.
3) Arrive at your overnighting place late and leave early.
4) Try not to park up in the day at the same place your going to sleep.
5) Don't even leave footprints, etc..
6) In popular places, if you want to park on say the sea front by day your almost bound to have to pay to park, providing there's no height barriers of course.

This would apply to popular areas such as Swanage. We complain that councils don't like motorcaravaners, motorists in general think they don't like motor cars full stop. How many town centres have been ruined by excessive car parking charges, there's lots around where I live which have been turned into Ghost Towns. We recently pulled up in King's Lynn, an NCP Car Park only charging 3.30 for 12 hours parking, and no height barriers. Consequently, we spent some time in the town sight seeing and spent around 60 in the towns businesses....my missus and her credit card.

donkey too
04-08-2011, 11:00
Wilkinsons Car Park which is actualy owned and administered by Thetford Council is a well used overnight park. So I would just like to say thanks for nothing to the Motor homers who parked there last evening and packed all their rubbish up in black bags, then left it on the riverside walkway for the dogs to rumage through this morning causing an awful mess. :sad:
I have given your reg number to the council for them to do with as they wish.

fofeg101
04-08-2011, 12:47
Wilkinsons Car Park which is actualy owned and administered by Thetford Council is a well used overnight park. So I would just like to say thanks for nothing to the Motor homers who parked there last evening and packed all their rubbish up in black bags, then left it on the riverside walkway for the dogs to rumage through this morning causing an awful mess. :sad:
I have given your reg number to the council for them to do with as they wish.
We've been back here for two days, never went near Thetford, so it wasn't us.

Dadredge
14-05-2012, 22:14
Lovely spot right by the beach at Swanage and free. We were stating elsewhere and drove to Swanage early one morning on our Scooter so they had obviously stayed overnight. No restrictions during winter but I cannot recall actual dates. My only thought was we'll be here next time!

Edit: just checked google street map. No parking restrictions 1st oct to 14th may!

Millie
15-05-2012, 07:22
We love it on Swanage seafront - glad it's still available, thanks for the info.

Bushtrekker
19-05-2012, 07:14
http://www.swanage.gov.uk/userfiles/file/Minutes/Transport%2025th%20May%202011.pdf

thegoodlookingbloke
01-06-2012, 17:53
Let us be very clear on the councils stand on motorhomes, They dont want us there at all. :mad2:

They prefer everyone to be in a hotel or guest house.
When they say they have had complaints about motorhomers abusing facilities, they really mean : This is a concocted excuse that we can use. You cant prove otherwise. We are the almighty Swanage council so dont argue with us. We are God.....

Lets face it they will come up with new excuses whenever it suits them. :idea-007:

But lets hope there are enough crafty motorhomers :drive: who can find a good spot to stay in and to 'stand up and be counted' instead of giving up and scurrying into a campsite. :sad:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS