PDA

View Full Version : First Time Drive To East Poland via Germany (Berlin)

anothername78
17-05-2010, 19:38
Hi,

We are taking a trip to East Poland via Berlin during the summer and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on places to stop and relax on the way.

We are taking the ferry over to France on the evening then plan on driving to Berlin, hopefully arriving in the morning/lunchtime. I have read that we would need a emmissions permit which I have seen you can get online in advance? I would be grateful if you had any information on stops on the way, places in Berlin to stop and rest for the day or anything you think would be helpful for the trip.

Many thanks!

Captain
18-05-2010, 21:13
Hi anothername78 and welcome to the site.

There is a thread on here reference the emmissions sticker, I think it is about 5 Euros but if I remember rightly, the general concesus was that not many people bother as it is almost unenforcable (but check this as it is down to your own conscience).

If your arriving in France in the evening and want to be in Berlin by the morning/lunchtime you will be driving straight through. The service stations in Germany are very good compared to the UK, clean, good food and reasonably priced.

If I were you I would park up at the Olympic Stadium on Olympischer Platz (Google Earth "Berlin Olympic Stadion") and use the U (oo) bahn (barn) situated about 200M away to get around town. I think a day ticket (tag carte) is about 4 Euro.

I would stay for at least 3 days, there is so much to see and do. The beer is great too, but expect a third of the glass to be head!:D

anothername78
03-06-2010, 10:46
Hi Captain,

Thanks for the advice.

Yes we will be travelling non stop so the use of the services to change drivers will be useful. Regarding chemical disposal, are there specific stops that this can be done at along the motorway?

Also do you have to pay at the olympic stadium? We plan on stopping there for only a day then onwards to East Poland.

Any mores tips welcome!

Delteff
06-06-2010, 07:59
Remember that Cash is King in Berlin. It is almost impossible to buy a pint without cash. They do not often accept creditcards.
Berlin is a great town to visit.
Enjoy your trip
/Delteff, Sweden ;)

Jolly Wally
06-06-2010, 23:35
Hi,

We are taking a trip to East Poland via Berlin during the summer and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on places to stop and relax on the way.

We are taking the ferry over to France on the evening then plan on driving to Berlin, hopefully arriving in the morning/lunchtime. I have read that we would need a emmissions permit which I have seen you can get online in advance? I would be grateful if you had any information on stops on the way, places in Berlin to stop and rest for the day or anything you think would be helpful for the trip.

Many thanks!

Hi doing same seting off tomorow you have to have a sticker only for central Belin.Yes free camping areas all around oylimpic stadium but lake harval not far away is also good.I used to live there in army,travel by s-ban or u - ban under ground or street Railway very cheap also very bike friendly,may be see you there.

Steve

anothername78
07-06-2010, 14:29
Hi doing same seting off tomorow you have to have a sticker only for central Belin.Yes free camping areas all around oylimpic stadium but lake harval not far away is also good.I used to live there in army,travel by s-ban or u - ban under ground or street Railway very cheap also very bike friendly,may be see you there.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice. Be interested to hear about your journey when you get back.

Thanks

Mastodon
07-06-2010, 21:49
There's a stellplatz right in the middle of Berlin, but you'll need a sticker to get there

anothername78
08-06-2010, 09:21
There's a stellplatz right in the middle of Berlin, but you'll need a sticker to get there

Could you tell me where it is please?

Delteff
09-06-2010, 17:13
The Aire you are looking for is probably Stellpaltz Berlin Mitte. here is the link in Berlin.
Internationale Reisemobilstation Berlin Mitte (http://www.reisemobilstationberlin-mitte.de/index.php?lang=en)
Have a nice trip
/Delteff, Sweden

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS