PDA

View Full Version : Looking for nice overnight stops near Oban

Punica
18-05-2010, 18:42
Hi,

I've just booked my ferry crossing (Calais- Dover) for our very first motorhome trip!
We're going to Scotland and will be roughly touring around Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Oban - Arran - Ayrshire.

Looking for overnight stops or info on where to get water and dispose of waste. Do you need to book into camp sites for this or are there other possibilities?

Total novice at this, so any tips are more than welcome!

baloothebear
19-05-2010, 06:42
Looking for overnight stops or info on where to get water and dispose of waste. Do you need to book into camp sites for this or are there other possibilities?

Commercial sites will very often let you tip "waste" for either a fee or a contribution to a Charity. I know that the Camping & Caravan Club allow this and charge, according to their website, 6.50 This is for C&CC members only though. The Caravan Club may have a similar policy.

Some people crack open the grey water and let that go as they drive down the road

"Black" water? It depends on what type of tank you have for storing the product. If it is the removable type, then look for a Public WC and get there when there is no-one about: If it is the fixed bulk tank type, then I have found that sometimes a Coach company will allow you to tip for a small fee.

tony
20-05-2010, 17:49
Commercial sites will very often let you tip "waste" for either a fee or a contribution to a Charity. I know that the Camping & Caravan Club allow this and charge, according to their website, 6.50 This is for C&CC members only though. The Caravan Club may have a similar policy.

Some people crack open the grey water and let that go as they drive down the road

"Black" water? It depends on what type of tank you have for storing the product. If it is the removable type, then look for a Public WC and get there when there is no-one about: If it is the fixed bulk tank type, then I have found that sometimes a Coach company will allow you to tip for a small fee.

please dont empty any tank on the road or in a public place.
dont spoil it for the rest of us who cares.
tony

Captain
20-05-2010, 18:00
I agree Tony.

"Some people crack open the grey water and let that go as they drive down the road":mad:

They may do this but it would be considered anti-social by the majority of people.

tony
20-05-2010, 18:17
here in waterford the local council are talking about by laws to stop wild camping.
it seems a motorhome owner was seen leaving waste water off near a playground.
it only takes 1 bad apple to spoil it for us all.
tony

Punica
22-05-2010, 05:55
Hi,

Just dumping the waste somewhere was even that hadn't even crossed my mind yet!
I did hear however that in France there are villages where you can use the public facilities to fill up on fresh water and get rid of the waste.

So just looking to see if anything like this is possible in Scotland or whether it's safer to book an overnight stay at a campsite (I'd rather not, but it's an option).

Punica
22-05-2010, 05:59
Just dumping the waste didn't even cross my mind.
That's why I was looking on some info on what is possible. I'd rather not spend the night at a camp site but that would be an option if needed to use their facilities.

I'll try and get some more information on which camp sites will let you use their facilities without staying overnight.

GregM
22-05-2010, 08:47
I agree Tony.

"Some people crack open the grey water and let that go as they drive down the road":mad:

They may do this but it would be considered anti-social by the majority of people.

But why? I've seen this done and personally can't see anything wrong with it, I've seen somewhere (one of the clubs) that suggests emptying grey water in hedges at local meets etc where there are no grey waste facilities. Whats the difference?

I do NOT suggest doing this with BLACK waste though, they may well be anti social.:eek::eek:

champstar
23-05-2010, 16:44
Sometimes the C&CC will at rallies allow the dumping of grey water into hedgerows etc but you should not do it if you are near a water course. Certainly not where you are pitched as sometimes fragments of food etc go into the grey tank and it can get smelly and in summer attract flies and vermin.
Also it does look unsitely to be driving along with water coming from a pipe...so motorists will think it is toilet waste.

tony
23-05-2010, 18:12
But why? I've seen this done and personally can't see anything wrong with it, I've seen somewhere (one of the clubs) that suggests emptying grey water in hedges at local meets etc where there are no grey waste facilities. Whats the difference?

I do NOT suggest doing this with BLACK waste though, they may well be anti social.:eek::eek:

would you like someone to dump their waste grey or black outside your front door ?
some campsites will let you empty for a small charge & there are plenty of public toilets, just look.
if you cant find any bring it home with you as we so often do.
some people think once they are away from towns out in the country they can do as they please.
if i saw someone doing it i would not hesitate reporting them.
tony

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS