PDA

View Full Version : Crail

jann
20-05-2010, 21:06
from village follow signs to golf course, pass old airfield on right(car boot on Sunday).
Turn right at sign to carting track,then sign to Picnic area( not very well signed).good spot overlooking the sea

ellieloy
12-11-2010, 21:51
We so wanted to stop off here after reading about the villages in Scottish Field, after losing signs which pointed to picnic spots, parking etc, (and getting into some really tight spots that I thought we would never get out of with our MH) we gave up. Hugely disappointed as we went well out of our way to take in this area.
Maybe OK if you are in a small vehicle. but we have a 22footer and frankly it was a nightmare

Canalsman
12-11-2010, 23:22
We so wanted to stop off here after reading about the villages in Scottish Field, after losing signs which pointed to picnic spots, parking etc, (and getting into some really tight spots that I thought we would never get out of with our MH) we gave up. Hugely disappointed as we went well out of our way to take in this area.
Maybe OK if you are in a small vehicle. but we have a 22footer and frankly it was a nightmare

A good option, which will help guide you to spots such as these, is to sign up as a full member. Then you can download the Wild Camping Map & POI files.

The data includes a Google Earth file, so you can view locations online (and this includes Google Streetview links), and POI (point of interest) files for most types of satnav to improve your chances of getting there safely.

There are almost 2,000 spots recorded so far for England, Wales and Scotland - including those around Crail of course.

The next update will have a lot more :D

Regards

Chris

jann
14-11-2010, 12:46
The road to the carting track is single track for a while.There is plenty of space by the sea.

If we ever have doubts aboutaccess, we walk there first,

bevdrew
16-11-2010, 09:05
No problem finding or getting into this large area overlooking the sea with our 6-berth with overcab. Have seen bigger vehicles at Kart track on race days. Google Street View does not go quite far enough. but have shown road in below.

crail - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=crail&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.031771,28.256836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Crail,+Anstruther,+Fife,+United+Kingdom&ll=56.271395,-2.596958&spn=0.005516,0.013797&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=56.271346,-2.597354&panoid=h7km0YQIijz8PopIxkwuwA&cbp=12,126.02,,1,11.21)

One word of caution though, there is usually a gypsy encampment hidden away in the trees at the back and the sea view carpark is also used by young lovers of an evening, so we only use this spot for dolphin watching/picnics during the day as wouldn't sleep too well with all the "extra" nocturnal activity.

Bev

Canalsman
16-11-2010, 18:18
Very nearby there's a grassy area that looks promising Crail, Anstruther - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/2eajc4x)

jann
17-11-2010, 20:23
We stopped overnight this spring, no problems from the local encampment

Gabbie
15-04-2012, 21:18
:bow::hammer: overnight stop for large motorhome at side of loch in Scotland

shortcircuit
15-04-2012, 22:02

To be blunt if you found this road a nightmare then you should not be driving on our roads.

Canalsman, if you want to park on a 45 degree slope then you are a better man than me. The other green areas about are arable land. Not a good idea to use Google earth.

This is quite a large area and although there may be travelling people camping they are no different from us and not a problem.

Totally off topic but the date stamp of these postings is 2010 ????????

Edit Having reflected on the post the original posting could be 2 years old. My appologies.

Canalsman
15-04-2012, 23:23
Canalsman, if you want to park on a 45 degree slope then you are a better man than me.

Que?

shortcircuit
16-04-2012, 07:17
Sorry I did not follow your link. That area has been used by wild campers however the building you see is a sewage pump house so can be a bit whiffy. The area to the other side of the fence is a 45degree slope

Canalsman
16-04-2012, 13:08
Thanks for that - I was a bit puzzled :)

christine
17-08-2013, 14:41
That track also leads to the gypsies who were well and truly camped there last week.Complete with vicious looking dogs.

christine
17-08-2013, 14:44
Oh and Ellieloy, I agree about trying to visit these beautiful villages such as Anstruther, Pittenweem, St. Monans. You end up getting lost following parking signs and having to do some tricky manouvres to exit! A good hint is to visit early in the morning when there aren't so many folks about!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS