PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ireland help needed

Teene
28-05-2010, 20:12
We're going to be touring Southeren Ireland for the first time ever in two weeks time. We're going over for three weeks so very excited. Although we will be stopping on some campsites we'd like to do lots of wild camping to see the real rugged country so our question is.....

Is there a book or map we can buy from anyone that will point out lots of these places to stay?

I've trawled this site and written down as much as pos but it would be good to have a book/map with everything shown.

Any other tips for first timers would be welcome.

Teene

markdebby
28-05-2010, 20:50
Teene, The North is lovely too and plenty of wild spots

Mr B
28-05-2010, 21:50
Hi Teene,
When we were there we found that alot of the lay byes and such have hight barriers on them, I think it is to stop the gipsies thaking them over. Great place to see all the same.
Regards,
Chris

mountainsandheather
29-05-2010, 08:08
We're going to be touring Southeren Ireland for the first time ever in two weeks time. We're going over for three weeks so very excited. Although we will be stopping on some campsites we'd like to do lots of wild camping to see the real rugged country so our question is.....

Is there a book or map we can buy from anyone that will point out lots of these places to stay?

I've trawled this site and written down as much as pos but it would be good to have a book/map with everything shown.

Any other tips for first timers would be welcome.

Teene

Hi Teene, hope you'll have a great time. As far as I know there is nothing for wildcamping spots available, but there is a little publication for the campsites from Board Failte that is way more thorough than most guide books available. You could email them for it, I think it's just called "camping and caravanning" 2010, it doesn't have a hard spine, just a little colour booklet. I bought mine in Eason's (chain of booksellers), so when you get into the country watch out for one , and ask about it.
For wildcamping I can just advise you to ask there :
Motorhomes & Campervans - boards.ie (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=884)
The boardsters are friendly :)

It is true that a lot of spots/parking areas have been blocked (height barriers, etc...) because of the "travellers" (that's what the gypsies are called here). I live near beautiful mountains, and all the laybys have had lines of big boulders or banks of soil put in place the last few years as we used to get 40 to 50 traveller campervans/caravans settling there in the summer, and a lot of litter and caravans burnt and left there...

But there are still lots of beautiful lay-bys every where, accessible to campers. For the areas that have good quality coverage in google earth/maps, you could actually spot some laybys from the air, and check them out for barriers when you get there. Look out for forestry entrances, they are often level and well kept with rock or coarse gravel (and very wide and accessible to larger vehicles of course).

I'm at the border of Co Waterford and Tipperary (South East) if you are planning on going that way.

Note : people in Ireland are very friendly, but also pretty nosy. Farmers in more isolated areas are always (understandably) on the look-out for strange cars etc... so chances are if you park somewhere a bit out of the way, you will find the farmer will turn up shortly after and potter around his field nearby. If you start a conversation and let them know where you're from etc... you will discover the real friendliness of the Irish and possibly learn about more lovely places to visit :)

jetty
31-05-2010, 20:58
Just read that you looking for wildcamping spots. I have another option for you. There is a fella in Limerick in Ireland who has a website up and running called safe nights ireland. Basically he is getting cheap (10 euro per night) places for a camper to stay for a night. It only costs 10 euro to join and obtain a card. You can then look at the list of places throughout ireland to pull in safely for 10 euro. This is a great idea and seems to be going very well. If you need any more information just reply to me on this site.

Regards Jetty

sharkwatch
17-06-2010, 06:17
I will be going to Ireland for 4 to 5 weeks. any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Cheap sites and safe camping wild places.

thanks

Old_Arthur
25-06-2010, 09:14
I will be going to Ireland for 4 to 5 weeks. any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Cheap sites and safe camping wild places.

thanks
just had 2wks in the south, camp site dodgin all the way down the west coast and south coast, PM me for some good sites,water and thunder box emptying all for FREE :rolleyes::eek: food and diesel only cost
p.s. take as much food with you as you can carry it's a fortune over there

Teene
02-02-2011, 16:25
Thank you for all your useful and interesting replies, as you can tell we've been and come back but as we are DEFINITELY going again because it's so very beautiful I will be using all the information given. I envy all you lucky people who live in such a beautiful country. WE WILL BE BACK :)

scotty
02-02-2011, 17:06
we have covered all the southern parts of ireland last year and were all wilding and free,easy to get water as we covered all the coast line.There are always plenty of irish motorhomers about and all are happy to help you,there was a map i printed off of the net from a irish couple that we used as was really helpful....hope you really enjoy as much as we did :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS