PDA

View Full Version : Caerlaverock: New No Overnighting Signs

bodgerndog
06-06-2010, 11:01
Another one bites the dust :mad:

Sadly the lovely little parking place down past Glencaple, at the SNH car park, was hit by a band of a dozen gypsy vans a few weeks ago and now the dreaded 'No Overnight Parking' signs have gone up.:(

This is a big loss as for many years it's been used by many of us and was especially great for dining in the blaze of a brilliant sunset. Bummer!

m30
31-08-2010, 20:18
We stayed on this car park last Friday night without any problem at all.

We saw the sign as we pulled in, and decided to risk it. We stayed up until about 11pm figuring a warden would probably be round before then. I heard another vehicle pull up at around midnight, and when I looked out it was a German motorhome.

The sign on the fence has had the nuts removed and simply pulls off the fence, almost as if someone has removed it, stayed overnight, then put the sign back on in the morning.

Stu

tommywelly
09-10-2010, 10:29
We stopped there 2 weeks ago, we had no problems

jann
11-04-2011, 15:57
Height barriers installed, smaller vans would be OK(sorry I didn't note the height)

bodgerndog
04-01-2012, 17:32
I think it's 6'6"...or whatever that is in new money. Certainly no high top will get under it. It's a scunner because the vast majority of people who have enjoyed this spot over many years left no trace at all. There are one or two roadside laybys on the road to Glencaple which motorhomers have used occasionally over the summer but they're not nearly as appealling. :(

Also saw that Glencaple Pier area is currently being redeveloped - new shop and tearoom planned - so that's another overnight spot unavailable for now.

gerryhughes
11-02-2012, 01:58
There is a sign up in the village of Glencaple across the road from the hotel on the old pier saying that motorhomes are welcome to stay overnight free of charge but are also welcome to make a donation. This is an ideal spot and if using it it would be good to use the shop or hotel as this way they will always welcome mh's.

If more info is needed jsut ask as i only stay along the road from it

keithhep
11-02-2012, 19:20
In the same area is the WWT (Wlidfowl & Wetlands Trust) site that allows MH to park over night, but maybe not for the pure wild campers as a fee of 5 is charged.
They have toilets and it should quiet at night, except for the birds. :-)
54.976774, -3.484086
Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/m3tek)

bodgerndog
09-03-2013, 12:28
There is a sign up in the village of Glencaple across the road from the hotel on the old pier saying that motorhomes are welcome to stay overnight free of charge but are also welcome to make a donation. This is an ideal spot and if using it it would be good to use the shop or hotel as this way they will always welcome mh's.

If more info is needed jsut ask as i only stay along the road from it

Thanks Gerry. It's a friendly place to overnight. There's a new shop and cafe on the pier now - very swish and well worth patronising. I checked the height of the barrier down at the point yesterday and it's actually 6'10".

kimbowbill
10-03-2013, 11:13
when i turn up to a place i usually pick up any litter, and usually in the morning there is a load more, so i pick that up, most MH's do this activity. It will only be a matter of time where little parking spots that are used by the general public will become full of rubbish, its a real shame that councils can't see this side of responsible moterhomers.

Vanterrier
29-07-2013, 10:43
Heres a spot I stopped at for lunch and would be a good overnight...

55.010381, -3.574452

the streetview is a bit old and un-inviting looking but the site has been developed due to a memorial to some Scottish Piper bloke who drowned there in 1899 ('ish). It didnt feel too close to the nearby cottages and was still a grassy surface but usable. I would have taken a photo if I had known how poor the streetview image was.

K ;)

bodgerndog
29-07-2013, 12:06
Heres a spot I stopped at for lunch and would be a good overnight...

55.010381, -3.574452

the streetview is a bit old and un-inviting looking but the site has been developed due to a memorial to some Scottish Piper bloke who drowned there in 1899 ('ish). It didnt feel too close to the nearby cottages and was still a grassy surface but usable. I would have taken a photo if I had known how poor the streetview image was.

K ;)

Be careful where you park along this stretch because there is an ancient right of haaf netting (http://www.futuremuseum.co.uk/collections/arts-crafts/arts/photography/dr-werner-kissling/six-pictures-of-salmon-nets-on-the-solway,-glencaple,-river-nith.aspx) and the haaf netters have their favourite parking places where they will often stay all night, depending on the tides. You're safe at weekends, though, as they're not permitted to fish then. The nets are bulky and quite heavy, so you can guess that they like to park as close as possible to their own stretch.

Vanterrier
29-07-2013, 12:16
Aha ! that explains the nets on sturdy frames I saw nearby at the foot of a telegraph pole... I had no idea of this particular tradition/method...

good caveat.

K ;)

POI Admin
29-07-2013, 12:48
Think it's best not to add this to the POIs ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS