PDA

View Full Version : Wild spots A890 & A87

magbrin
11-06-2010, 07:28
In my usual fashion:D There are a number of possible spots - large laybys, old quarry sites etc between Achmore (where Plockton road leaves A890) and Auchtertyre where A890 joins A87. No no overnight signs that I saw, and some sites further off the road than others. Think I counted about 6 - 8 in total.

Then from Sheil Bridge (A87) to turn off to Invergarry, after Loch Cluanie, there are LOTS of bits of old road - too numberous to count:p and again some along Loch Garry and towards Invergarry. Note: the travellers that were in one of the laybys a couple of weeks ago, had gone and although we did not stop they had left little or no sign behind them. Again - no no overnight signs, except I think in one near the village.

colin123
24-08-2010, 11:49
Ah, my local overnights have a mention! Well spotted magbrin. Here's some further details.
If approaching from the A87 (road to skye bridge) there are two excellent overnights just up the A890 which is signed as the Wester Ross tourist route heading for Lochcarron and Gairloch. The first is about half a mile up the hill on the right and has a blue P sign. It has a large area of hardstanding and has fabulous spectacular views across Loch Alsh to the five sisters mountains and to Skye. Although a little exposed to the wind, quite a popular overnight and desevedly so. About a further mile and a quarter up the hill on the right is another flat hardstanding with a blue P sign. This is nicely sheltered from the north by rocky outcrop and has good views over the lochan used for the hydro below. This was recently used as a storage area for water pipe works which have now finished. Generally quiet. Although the A890 is a through route, it doesn't get busy. Please don't park on the access tracks to the water works, hydro,or forest access tracks or you may be woken up at an early hour...they are used...
For those wanting water on Skye, there is a tap outside the public toilets on the main road through Broadford further along the A87.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS