PDA

View Full Version : Ullswater

John H
14-06-2010, 13:14
There are several opportunities for wilding along the A592 between Watermillock and Glenridding in the lay-bys along the road, many of which have superb views over Ullswater and none of which have restrictions on overnighting. The disadvantage is that they are right by the side of the road. If you want to be more tucked away from public view, there is a very nice pull-off (on the right, heading south) about a mile south of the village of Patterdale – by a small stream. There is a small car park just beyond it but it has a “no overnight parking” notice. The sheltered pull-off lay-by has
no such restrictions (there were two vans there the night we stopped).

Captain
14-06-2010, 14:02
Hi John,

Thanks for all the info', sounds like you have had a good roam around Cumbria and Scotland! We're off upto the lakes later in the year so these will come in handy.

Regards Captain.

John H
14-06-2010, 14:48
Yup - two months roaming and most of it great fun, apart from being in West Cumbria when the now-infamous taxi-driver went berserk with a couple of guns!

barryd
14-06-2010, 18:17
I know its been mentioned a few times now but your welcome to park in the Pooley Bridge Inn car park and the sun inn at the top end of Ullswater. The pooley Bridge inn is the better one as its bigger and you can get well tucked away. There van even says on the Livery Campervans welcome. You dont have to buy a meal but assuming your parking in a pub car park I guess you will want a drink or 5. Great mid week when its quieter.

Geordie camper
20-03-2011, 08:48
I know its been mentioned a few times now but your welcome to park in the Pooley Bridge Inn car park and the sun inn at the top end of Ullswater. The pooley Bridge inn is the better one as its bigger and you can get well tucked away. There van even says on the Livery Campervans welcome. You dont have to buy a meal but assuming your parking in a pub car park I guess you will want a drink or 5. Great mid week when its quieter.

Hi all,

I'm a new member following a recent motorhome purchase - so far found this site to be really useful!

Just thought i'd drop a quick note to say I stayed in the Pooley Bridge Inn car park on friday night - the pub looks to be under new management and I was told by the woman behind the bar that motorhomes would be charged to stay in the car park during high season - I got the impression that they might have said "no" had I not already had 2 pints by the time the person in charge was consulted on the matter.

When she said we we would normally have to pay I just thought "well you'll be losing alot of business to The Sun Inn over the road"...

I hope this info helps some of you!

barryd
20-03-2011, 10:31
Hi all,

I'm a new member following a recent motorhome purchase - so far found this site to be really useful!

Just thought i'd drop a quick note to say I stayed in the Pooley Bridge Inn car park on friday night - the pub looks to be under new management and I was told by the woman behind the bar that motorhomes would be charged to stay in the car park during high season - I got the impression that they might have said "no" had I not already had 2 pints by the time the person in charge was consulted on the matter.

When she said we we would normally have to pay I just thought "well you'll be losing alot of business to The Sun Inn over the road"...

I hope this info helps some of you!

Ah thats a shame. The previous owner even had "Camper vans welcome" on his livery on the pub van.

The Sun Inn car park isnt as big unfortunately.

In January we parked at Glenridding right by the lake in the Steamer Car park for a couple of nights. I imagine it would be frowned upon in high season but I didnt see any no overnighting signs.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS