PDA

View Full Version : TURKEY,its ancient history and shores.

barnybg
28-06-2010, 14:49
Hi there,anyone spent some time in Turkey,i just nipped over to see TROY from my base here in Bulgaria and ended up following the coast travelling 450 miles,just over 650 round trip,there's many many camp sites along this coast,from tip top to your basic fenced area with provided tents,or just pitch yourself and it seems like mostly anywhere !
I wildcamped as usual (i dont like campsites etc) and found many a tidy,perfect spot alongside the beaches or quays,as said i also visited many an ancient site,some dating back 5000 years and incredible fascinating places,the locals are great,except for one town where the ferry is,avery dubious bunch of youths there that followed me about,till i clocked on,and hastily went back to the motorhome which was parked behind the hidh steel fence,waiting for the ferry,well the one i wished to catch,up to me,its so laid back,have to add though that many of the beaches in that area,the dardenelles at the Marmaris were shingle or pebble,one or two were sand,but then packed with Turks,some swimming fully clothed,well it is Muslim !
Seen a convoy of Italian campers,several others from Romania,Germany,oh and one Brit but on the OUT ferrry while i was on the IN ferry :)
Ask away if you need info etc.

wildtime
09-07-2010, 22:09
Nos Da Barnybg & fellow Wilders

I harbour an ambition (that the wife would think is mad) to take a long and fairly open-ended tour from our home on the Isle of Anglesey to southeaast Turkey and en-route to call on friends In southwest Germany, Zadar (Croatia) a nephew on the southwest suburbs of Istanbul - all in our Auto-Trail Apache 634. I suppose this could be classed as an expedition. As you rightly said Turkey is knee-deep in historical sites from St. Paul as well as many millenia prior to him.

Before I permit myself to explore this idea further I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone as far as leaving Europe and entering Asia and travelling along Turkey's Aegean and Mediterranean coasts. I would hope to also travel inland to major historical sites in Turkey as well as hugging the coast.

If the ambition is not barking-mad does anyone have suggestions on the best time of year - especially without habitation air-con and how safe is Turkey for wilding? The rest of the route - except for perhaps Bulgaria and maybe Serbia - is fairly well known to me - having driven most of it by car over last 4 decades.

As I realise that this ambition may not appeal to many others perhaps initially respondants should confine themselves to the bare facts of when to travel and their own experiences and warnings. Perhaps, later if someone is willing to go into more detail I could arrange to exchange info directly?

One final thought: is this perhaps an idea for a group of like-minded Wilders to organise a convoy - perhaps for the part from Serbia onwards to and through Turkey?

James

grath
09-07-2010, 22:14
We did it over 21 years ago with a car and tent.
We slept in the car many nights and never had any problems.
We went to Istanbul and then into Asia to the Black Sea and straight down the middle to Antalya and then followed the coast rd back to Gallipoli.
Go for it and don't worry, the Turks are very hospitable, but you must get away from the tourist traps:)

SeeYa
10-07-2010, 08:50
Turkey is definitely in my bucket and, in particular, Capadoccia with it's wild landscape and homes cut out of the rock in central Turkey.

Not sure when this will be but, having jut bought my first camper, it may be a while before I venture sanything like that far.

Also, while my breadown cover apparently covers Turkey, my insurance is limited to western Europe. I've been told that you can buy insurance at the border but that seems a bit odd to me - any ideas?

Pete

Roger
10-07-2010, 19:00
Also, while my breadown cover apparently covers Turkey, my insurance is limited to western Europe. I've been told that you can buy insurance at the border but that seems a bit odd to me - any ideas?

Pete

Border insurance is very common once out of the Green Card Zone (do a lookup on which countries - I though it included Turkey) - no big deal banks sell it in nearby border towns or even at the checkpoints. Often it will be only third party injury insurance and nothing for the vehicle, or whatever the legal minimum insurance is for the country you are entering. Further afield in Africa/Asia its little more than another transit tax but the bit of paper keeps the bribes to police down to a minimum.

barnybg
12-07-2010, 08:34
James,Did you not read my opening post ? you must have,as you realized i was Welsh,but have a 'base' and live in Bulgaria.
I found no problems at all 'wilding ' in Turkey,except for that one ferry town called Canakkale ,where the large youths were a little dubious and 'street wise' types,looking for an easy snatch/mugging.
A very beautiful,interesting country with a difference,especially to ' Europe' although European and modern in the towns/cities,as said the history and sites are amazing,alot of ' research' can be done before the ' expedition ' and as long as you have the time and the money,would be a fantastic journey,even Syria and Egypt being posssible,if not interested in Iran ???? (LOL)
If following the coast you have the sea breeze,so i'm not sure about needing air-con,there again late July/August IS going to be hot if your not used to it (40c) as its been that temperature here in Bulgaria ! luckily its dropped to 31c,if thinking of doing this i can advise of routes over,as i have driven to Bulgaria several times,even towing a 6 wheel trailor with digger etc on !Serbia is ok,if not bringing loads of stuff or goods,a camper should go straight through,if you haven't the green card for Serbia,like most countries can be purchased at the border crosssing,as well as the tax for the windscreen depending on countries,Serbia's insurance cost approx 115 euro,thats why many take the other route via Romania which is right next to the Serbia border,another route otherwise is Germany,Swiss pass into Italy along coast down to ferry to Greece(igoumanitsa) acroos past Thessaloniki and along that stunning 'Wilding' coast to Bulgaria or Turkey.
A convoy would be great fun,as many other countries do that,like i said there was one with Italians in Turkey,and if the route was suggested or plotted and you could all keep in contact by phone etc,then it could be quite free too,to stop or catch up with the rest !please stop in to my house near the Svilengrad (Bulgaria)Greek/Turkish borders,room for 4 or 5 M/H's or theres Brit run campsites not far away and all over BG,then if needed in Greece and Turkey.........but why, WILDING is better.
Ask away on here or by pm,if you need any advice.chow ...

wildtime
20-07-2010, 10:22
Hi Barnybg

Many thanks for the information - which is invaluable and no doubt I will ask you for more guidance - based on your real-life experience - in both traversing "eastern" Europe as well as visiting Turkey (Asian side). To avoid cluttering-up this site I will use PM to arrange info exchanges.

James

PS: Just returned from a 300m round trip to have some outstanding warranty work done on our Auto-Trail Apache 634 - hence the delay in replying.

wildtime
20-07-2010, 10:40
Hello Barnybg

Thanks again for the info which is a good start.

Unfortunately you are not eligible to receive PMs - so I suggest we communicate via e-mail.

My e-mail address is: seaside.home@yahoo.co.uk

Please e-mail me so we can open comms that route. I have some questions to ask - especially about any specifics to do with taking a 3.5ton 7m long motorhome through certain countries (window disc?) such as road tax charges (like Switzerland) and how to get around them - as I am a pensioner and like you my occupation is feeding myself and the wife - as well as endeavouring to do as many of the things I couldn't whilst a slave to work - including travel.

James

SeeYa
20-07-2010, 11:45
Not wishing to earwig on any really private communications, Wildtime, but I would really be interested in knowing more about the trip to(wards) Turkey and would hate to see this thread diappear from general view especially when there are such very interesting things to discuss.

For my part and while I'd love to spend some more time in Istanbul, my little dream is to visit Cappadocia and maybe take a balloon flight over the strange landscape, visit the dwellings carved out of that same landscape and otherwise ....

... just drink it all in!

barnybg
23-07-2010, 19:12
Hi there,sorry as not to reply sooner and wishing to keep Turkey as a go-see-er,it would be good to comment or ask questions here,this will be of help to later explorers,also prompt questions/pics etc.
My late reply ? I have been down to the coast of Kavala,Greece(again):) which is another country i shall post on.........not to confuse things ok.
Turkey,part of the Persian empire,gateway to the east,Constantenople(Istanbul)a Roman concubine,also Greek,incredible history,this area around the Med has enormous myths and legends,massive trading with many countries going back 4000 years or more.

TishF650
24-07-2010, 09:34
Hi,

We're planning on being in Turkey in Nov/Dec on the way to Cyprus and were roughly thinking about going down through the middle (Ankara, Konya and briefly Adana) then retuning via the south and west coast, crossing from Canakkale.

Any general advice appreciated especially on the central bit at that time of year.

I'll try and pm you Barney nearer the time for more detailed info if that's ok.

Chris

TishF650
24-07-2010, 09:41
Sorry just realised it's Barny not Barney my apologies.

Chris

barnybg
24-07-2010, 11:47
By which route in November/December ? Check out weather in areas/countries as depending where,for instance Bulgaria in December could be under a metre of snow ??!!(usually snows Dec 20 th onwards)so to Romania,not sure of coast of Greece about then,could be ok.
As for Turkey and the central part/route,i'm as green as you,i'm afraid,it seems not many Brit 'wilders' have travelled there,it seems more for German/Italians,the mountain areas are definately going to be cold and snowy in Turkey,so again check with google or the like.
My idea was to sort of follow the coast down in late December,heading as far as i could or as safe as i could to a better climate for the 90 days visa,(the visa rule has also changed to 90 days in 180 )be aware that Turkey is quite expensive nowadays,and no LPG to be found,as with Greece being the same for no LPG and petrol 1.50to 1.70 euro a ltr,Bulgaria being well under half that and LPG sold everywhere,cheaply.
Turkey is still not a definate for Winter for me as yet,but first on the list,also looking into Lower Greece,i think Tunisia is out as to the cost of several ferries and milage.
Is there a glimmer of a convoy of sorts to lower Turkey/Cypress,a light hearted,come and go,meet up and stop,go your own way and meet up again,sort of crowd ?Anyone ?or is three months or more just too much ?

TishF650
24-07-2010, 16:17
Hi Barny,

Plan is to be in Cyprus by mid Dec latest. We leave the UK again start of Sept and are going via Germany, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria.

We want to get through the middle of Turkey before the snows come and are hoping that won't be before start of Dec. But you never know!

We'd hoped that retuning to Greece via the coastal route there would be less chance of snow that way.

Thanks for the info on LPG in Turkey I thought that might be the case after our experience in Greece this year. Although to be fair we did manage to fill up the tanks once or twice, we just needed to look a bit harder than elsewhere. Didn't know about the cost of diesel though, that's going to be expensive 'cos it's a long way to Cyprus!

We were in southern Greece for quite a bit of last winter and loved it, weather mostly good and plenty of opportunities for wildcamping. The authorities don't seem to really bother out of season.

Chris

peejay
24-07-2010, 18:43
Snipped....be aware that Turkey is quite expensive nowadays,and no LPG to be found,as with Greece being the same for no LPG and petrol 1.50to 1.70 euro a ltr,Bulgaria being well under half that and LPG sold everywhere,cheaply.

Sorry Barny but thats not correct, LPG is widely available in Turkey.

Pete

Tony Lee
25-07-2010, 00:51
Sorry Barny but thats not correct, LPG is widely available in Turkey.

Pete

Yes, but in what form - autogas from bowsers to fill fixed tanks, standard exchange cylinders, or is it like Morocco - non standard cylinders needing an adaptor.

barnybg
25-07-2010, 11:09
Peejay (Pete) I would love you to help me and others out,by stating where or what petrol stations stock LPG at the pumps ? I recently travelled 800 miles,meandering around Troy and the Dardenelles(Turkey),venturing toward Izmir and that general area,and purposely went out of my way,looking for LPG as its much cheaper and as my M/H is equiped for LPG motoring,then would have saved me a fortune !!!
Or did you misread the posts and thought we meant cooking gas in bottles ???Please add to your post rather than a more or less one liner,saying otherwise.
What was the cost per ltr? when was you there ?This is no way a mock at your answer but a genuine 'need to know' for future jaunts that are coming up.
The same applies to Greece.no LPG at the pumps,or can someone ' enlighten me ' again,having searched from Bulgarian borders to ,near enough Thessaloniki.
p.s ,maybe pics to follow.

peejay
25-07-2010, 19:49
Hi Barny, Tony;

Firstly apologies for the quick one liner :rolleyes:

I have done a fair bit of research about LPG in Turkey as we planned to visit this year.
I have consulted with several trusted motorhomers who regularly visit Turkey and they all concur that there are no problems obtaining LPG, in fact some go as far as to say that nearly every garage has an LPG outlet, so not sure why you had problems obtaining it Barny.

Turkey has over 2 million LPG users and there are over 6,500 Autogas stations in the country, note the 6th paragraph in this link.....

Gas Turkey 2010 (http://www.gulfoilandgas.com/WEBPRO1/Events/Event_Details.asp?id=900)

Non confrimed advice is that the clawgun adaptor is the most regularly used, but I always carry the clawgun and the Acme (screw on) adaptors which should cover most eventualities.

Otogaz is the generic name for Autogas in Turkey, if you search the internet it should throw up plenty of info.

Xorg, or the 'Silk route' site, the motorhome travel website for the more adventurous motorhomer lists Turkey as 'Perhaps the LPG capital of the world', and the fact that LPG is freely available....

http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/word/lpgeurope.doc

A quick search also brought up this list of Otogaz stations in Turkey...

OTOGAZ TÜRK?YE (http://www.otogaz-turkiye.com/turkiye-geneli-otogaz-servislerinin-listesi.html)

Not sure if this is up to date but around 88p ltr was the latest price i've seen, not cheap.

We never did get to Turkey this year due to time restraints but plan to visit next year when at last we have longer to explore due to early retirement. We will go quite happy with the advice and research I have just mentioned that there should be no problems finding LPG for our Gaslow bottles.

You're right about Greece though, we have visited quite a few times in the motorhome and haven't seen one yet, the only reliable reports I've had is for one in Athens and another in Patras that does refills. I can give you the coords if you want them. We've always had enough to last us for our usual 4 - 5 week visit though and top up in Italy before we get to Greece.

Best Regards..

Pete

barnybg
26-07-2010, 07:15
Thanks Pete,will look further into petrol/gas stations,selling LPG at the pump,maybe if i have chance will search for these stations stating LPG,maybe at Erdine ? as a comparison etc.
As i said,i went into many ' stations ' asking for autogaz and pointing at my filler gas cap,the info you have gave ,i hope will be a great help to any travellers thinking of coming this way,instead of the normal route of France/Spain...

peejay
26-07-2010, 10:56
No probs Barny;

I've found those two coords for lpg in Greece I was on about if you ever need some there....

Athens
N37.99304 E23.69742
Just off the E75 north west of the city centre and just up the road from Camping Athens.

Patras
N38.1039 E21.6351
Petrogaz outlet near Kato Alissos in a village called Agios Stefanos, a few kms SW of Patras.

Hope that helps.

Pete

TishF650
27-07-2010, 09:41
We found a few places for LPG in Greece this year.

They are mostly around Athens but there are a few others dotted about as well. Unfortunately I don't have the coordinates but one is a Petrol station a few Kms north of Preveza and the other was a back street gas seller (not a petrol station) on the main road from the south going into Larisa. There's another just off the Triploli ring road, but we didn't need to fill up there.

If I can remember any more details I'll post them, but don't hold your breath!

Chris

vwalan
27-07-2010, 09:49
hi, why not get yourselves an lpg pump .i can fill just about any bottle from another bottle . i have a krug lpg pump .there are some versions on ebay for about 170 quid. mine is years old bought it off a yank travelling here in uk . must say i dont carry it in the truck now as i dont use lpg as road fuel but did and it was extremely handy.

wildtime
28-07-2010, 21:33
By which route in November/December ? Check out weather in areas/countries as depending where,for instance Bulgaria in December could be under a metre of snow ??!!(usually snows Dec 20 th onwards)so to Romania,not sure of coast of Greece about then,could be ok.
As for Turkey and the central part/route,i'm as green as you,i'm afraid,it seems not many Brit 'wilders' have travelled there,it seems more for German/Italians,the mountain areas are definately going to be cold and snowy in Turkey,so again check with google or the like.
My idea was to sort of follow the coast down in late December,heading as far as i could or as safe as i could to a better climate for the 90 days visa,(the visa rule has also changed to 90 days in 180 )be aware that Turkey is quite expensive nowadays,and no LPG to be found,as with Greece being the same for no LPG and petrol 1.50to 1.70 euro a ltr,Bulgaria being well under half that and LPG sold everywhere,cheaply.
Turkey is still not a definate for Winter for me as yet,but first on the list,also looking into Lower Greece,i think Tunisia is out as to the cost of several ferries and milage.
Is there a glimmer of a convoy of sorts to lower Turkey/Cypress,a light hearted,come and go,meet up and stop,go your own way and meet up again,sort of crowd ?Anyone ?or is three months or more just too much ?

Hi Tish & Barny

I have been researching a possible long overland trip to southern Turkey, like Barny, to over-winter on the Med coast and visit the many historical sites there and also inland (weather/snow dependent). I guess that my plans (which the missus has yet to hear about - so are still at the dream stage) are likely to have to wait until 2011 Autumn through 2012 Spring for the return. I would hope to spend 5 to 6 months in all with the max permitted (90 days?) in Turkey proper. Don't know if Barny's previous wheeze about taking the ferry to Greek Island still applies - to reset the 90 day limit on the VISA?

I have followed the progress of a family who set off for Australia overland in their Landrover Defender last April and who traversed Turkey extensively in June from North to South and back through the East to Black Sea for a ferry to Ukraine. Anne responded to my query about price of Diesel which she said was very expensive by advising it cost Euro1.50/ltr. This is just a little more expensive than our normal prices here in UK - but as it contrasted with the reported very low prices in places like Iran (although they aren't going there) at something like a few cents per litre - they felt it was a shock for them.

Tish, I would welcome info on your proposed route and also how you plan to reach Cyprus (especially if you plan to go to the Greek part of Cyprus) and what problems and restrictions apply. I have a Greek Cypriot friend who lives in Lefkosia/Nicosia whom I haven't seen since 1993 and an extension to Cyprus, provided one can get to the Greek part without problems, would be a welcome addition to my proposed expedition (dream).

The other matter for me to consider is how I can provide enough LPG for our cooking, fridge and heating (we use Calor) for such a long run. I am not keen on changing to Gaslow - as I have heard of many users who couldn't refill that system abroad - which is precisely why one would dream of changing. Does anyone know if there are "unauthorised" refilling places in southeast Europe and Turkey for the likes of Calor cylinders. I know years ago you could have any Propane cylinder refilled in Austria, France and so on - by farmers decanting from their tanks or larger cylinders - all for a fraction of the cost of the alternatives.

That takes me to the idea of a convoy - just like the Italians and Germans do. Perhaps, not so large that it generates too much notice or attention. But a few together - say 2 or 3 so that we share knowledge and provide extra security and some companionship.

I will keep watching this site for responses and reactions and hopefully some answers.

James

barnybg
29-07-2010, 05:15
James ,the visa issue which i did say i was thinking of 'popping out' and returning into Turkey,has gone out the window since this NEW law has been brought in by the Turks,as stated you are allowed 90 days in 180,with the new visa regs,and will be tooted up,however after 180 days a further 90 days can be had.
As for gas bottles for cooking,i never worry about small things like that as for £20 you can just buy another bottle for that country or part of the continent ?cheaper than a meal for two out :)and most garages anyway have multi - tools fillers,although in Bulgaria,they have stopped in most petrol stations refilling bottles they have changed to the bottle exchange idea,not sure about Turkey/Greece and if they are the same bottles.

vwalan
29-07-2010, 17:44
james if you go on ebay and try lpg bottle fillers you will find one from nelson lancs . its my name sake that sells them . i have used one of his and told many friends about them. i used an old acme thread and adapted to what ever needed . i,v been filling bottles in foreign countries for years ,and here. have never been stopped and very often find they will want to copy what ever system we were using for use on other brit bottles in the future. i think its a 20mm clip om is about the only bottle i havent got adaptors for. you can tip from one bottle to the other. calor do it in emergency if they cant get a truck to you and you have run out of gas in your tank at home. you will find that some gas burns dirtyier than others .it seems they use more pentane in their gas mixes. pentane works better in hot countries and is cheaper. i say always have room for a local bottle anyway. in maroc a bottle full will setyou back about a tenner. and about 3 quid to refil. no facility to fill at pumps as far as i know .they charge more to fill a foreign bottle than you get one of theirs for. most use the old uk butanr left hand thread. so get some regs here . google bes. they had some on offer the other day 6quid for 2 get one free.

barnybg
28-11-2011, 18:21
Ok,What happened to all the interested campers/travellers ?
I haven't had time to go back into Turkey as yet,done a few stints in Greece though (found LPG at the pumps in 'some' garages ) in Xanthi only,because of the many Bulgarians using the newly opened border crossing Xanthi- Zlatograd.
Moved house to a different area of Bulgaria and been busy renovating.
So did anyone go,did i pass anyone on thier travels,are you still planning that trip ?

The pic is at the ferry port that leaves west for east,its a memorial to all the soldiers killed on both sides (british commonwealth/Turkey ) at the Dardenells

peternor
28-11-2011, 19:55
Yurkey is a great place to go to - people very friendly and scenery fantastic but distances are greater than you might think. I would recommend going in April/May when its warm but thereis still snow on the mountains. Cappadocia is fantastic and then a loop down to the coast at Antalya and then clockwise round the coast - Kas etc. A word of warning - do not go wild or stop anywhere near a military base - they are very touchy!

grath
28-11-2011, 20:05
Yurkey is a great place to go to - people very friendly and scenery fantastic but distances are greater than you might think. I would recommend going in April/May when its warm but thereis still snow on the mountains. Cappadocia is fantastic and then a loop down to the coast at Antalya and then clockwise round the coast - Kas etc. A word of warning - do not go wild or stop anywhere near a military base - they are very touchy!
Yes fantastic place. We did it about 22 years ago. Drove down the coast of old Yugo, then skirted Albania and went via Thesalonica and Kavala to Istanbul. Then along part of the south coast of the black sea to Sili and Fenner and then down to Antalya, west along the med and up to the ferry across to Galipioli, where we did see the gun carvings on the hillside.
Sorry about some of the spellings but we had one hell of a super time.
This was with a car and tent

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS