PDA

View Full Version : Girvan Area

mikeflys
28-06-2010, 15:39
Heading South from Girvan, you pass through Lendalfoot on the A77.
200 mtrs before Bennane Caravan Park is a lay by on the shore side.
Between this lay by, which has made use of the old road, and the shore is a section of the "old" old road, which is gated at the North end, but not at the South. Drive in (bit of a kerb to go over when they put in the new lay by ) and there is an area of level concrete where a static caravan used to be sited. Great views, 5 mtrs from shore, lots of driftwood.Some traffic noise but not too bad. Never had problems with midges at all here. Good sunsets, twitchers delight, and occasional seal being nosy.

Canalsman
28-06-2010, 17:13
Looking on Streetview, both ends have a closed gate.

Have you been there recently?

mikeflys
11-08-2010, 18:57
Looking on Streetview, both ends have a closed gate.

Have you been there recently?

Yes, I have been now for three overnights since original posting.
There used to be a gate at the south end, but is now fallen to bits, discarded and overgrown.
No problems from anyone in 4 visits, but not much driftwood left for now, sorry folks!
Noticed also, 1/2" mile north is a Memorial site to the Varyag ? Not sure if I got the name right, but see campers/ caravans/ tent things most weekends, and no signs of restriction posted. New to all of this, but off North last week in August, only planned stop for now is Altnaharra area. Any suggestions between Fort William and Ullapool would be welcome.

mikeflys
16-06-2011, 21:41
Due to financial restrictions, I have now been to this site over 20 times, because it is only 40 miles from home. Views are great, area seems to have its own mini climate which tends to be pretty good, and never had any hassle.
About 1/2 mile north is the Varyag Memorial site. I see camper vans and indeed tents almost every weekend. Having checked this site out, it has decent beach to walk on, great views to Ailsa Craig and Arran etc. lots of tarred parking and some grass areas that are well suited. Don't see any restrictions. Sadly quite a bit of litter despite bins being provided.

toxicturtle
12-07-2011, 07:30
How much room is there please, enough for a couple o vans?

toxicturtle
16-07-2011, 17:45
2 vans went there last night and despite the odd rainshower, a great time was had by big n wee kids alike. woke up to a squadron o cormorants and a great big seal who after lettng us watch him for 15 minutes, disappeared as soon as the camera came out! just wondering if it would be good form to take a strimmer with us next time to trim back the brambles on the wee path and remove the old dead ones, backs o my legs are still bleeding!

davymk2
24-07-2011, 19:46
Just back from a weekend camping at the Varyag Memorial site great place to camp loads of room for camper vans and a big comerical waste bin to be used as well. Had fantastic sunsets over the alisa craig and arran.

davymk2
25-07-2011, 09:45
Theres also another place just off the A77 just before you come into CairnRyan as you go down the hill past a dog kennels which is for sale you will see the coastline and the road swings to the left. There is a filter lane to turn right take this you will then come out at a bunglalow and a small industral unit there, Hard standing available for coachbuilts. However go a bit further along and go over an old bridge you'll be on a dirt track from there turn left onto another track it will bring you out on a grassed area right next ot the water. A few tents and VW T25 there on Saturday. I wouldnt take a coachbuilt van along there though due to the tree branches panel vans ect would be OK

Canalsman
25-07-2011, 10:44
Theres also another place just off the A77 just before you come into CairnRyan as you go down the hill past a dog kennels which is for sale you will see the coastline and the road swings to the left. There is a filter lane to turn right take this you will then come out at a bunglalow and a small industral unit there, Hard standing available for coachbuilts. However go a bit further along and go over an old bridge you'll be on a dirt track from there turn left onto another track it will bring you out on a grassed area right next ot the water. A few tents and VW T25 there on Saturday. I wouldnt take a coachbuilt van along there though due to the tree branches panel vans ect would be OK

Can't locate this place :(

Are your directions for when you approach Cairnryan from the north or from the south?

Cheers ...

Chris

davymk2
25-07-2011, 11:05
Coming from south from Ballentrae into Cairn Ryan,

55.009348,-5049355 (think that'll work) if not PM me an email addy and I'll send you the google map showing location

Canalsman
25-07-2011, 11:31
Thanks for the info - I've added it to the POI database :)

Regards

Chris

philleiper
11-11-2011, 18:41
Just used the Varyag site, very good. Bit of traffic noise from main road. thanks for the tip.
Phil

christine
04-10-2012, 09:49
Just back from Ayrshire. The layby with the gates is still ok, although lorries were using it when we passed.

Varyag memorial site is still fine, also. Spent a night here,on our own, peaceful enough after the ferries stopped running, is my guess. Before that, plenty of traffic noise. Watched the seals on a nearby island from here.

mikeflys
23-09-2014, 11:11
Heading South from Girvan, you pass through Lendalfoot on the A77.
200 mtrs before Bennane Caravan Park is a lay by on the shore side.
Between this lay by, which has made use of the old road, and the shore is a section of the "old" old road, which is gated at the North end, but not at the South. Drive in (bit of a kerb to go over when they put in the new lay by ) and there is an area of level concrete where a static caravan used to be sited. Great views, 5 mtrs from shore, lots of driftwood.Some traffic noise but not too bad. Never had problems with midges at all here. Good sunsets, twitchers delight, and occasional seal being nosy.

This area has now been bought by a new landowner and has been closed off at both ends.

POI Admin
23-09-2014, 13:18
This area has now been bought by a new landowner and has been closed off at both ends.

Thanks for the update - I've removed it from the Wild Camp POIs ...

Croftland1
23-09-2014, 17:07
We turned up here earlier this year with the intention of staying over. The volume of litter was shocking, so I did a major cleanup. I can't bear to look out at a mess, but equally I wouldn't want any suspicion that we had caused or added to it. During this cleanup I collected a large number of disposable gloves and then discovered an array of fuel syphoning eqipment and containers hidden in the gorse.
If this wasn't enough, a transit towing a caravan then pulled up. The caravan was unhitched and sited in the layby and the driver then released about six very drunk people from the back of the van. Music and extremely drunken behaviour followed, so we left, bound for a quiet forest car park.
We would be very cautious about staying on that coastline in future, despite the glorious views.

hillwalker
02-01-2015, 12:09
the last time I was there was last summer ,, I pulled in and parked up , and across from me was a transit van a caravan ,, I wasn't to keen on the idea of staying next to them ,, then they made my mind up for me , I seen them messing about at the bins across from were they were camped they put bottles and cans on the top of the bins , so I said to my son what's a happenen here, so I sat and watched what they were doing , next minutue I thought I heard a air rifle getting fired and I was right they were firing the gun right across the carpark ,,, and the place was really busy with family's and dog walkers ... so I had no hesitation leaving and I made a very sharp exit .... u cant be too carefull when you are wild camping ...

The laird
09-01-2015, 20:08
Should've reported them

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS