PDA

View Full Version : Overnighting in Dunkirk

DPH
08-07-2010, 22:57
Hi there,

We have just booked a ferry arriving in Dunkirk at 2am, does anyone know where the most sensible place to sleep is nearby to the port?

Thank you.:)

vwalan
08-07-2010, 23:28
not been there for awhile but there was loads parking by the port and i think its guarded. there was loads all over the place near there or in the town or by gravelines.

rebbyvid
09-07-2010, 06:09
You can park in Dunkirk but nearest from port would be Gravelines ,signposted as you come out ,turn to your right its about a mile away.
Rob

busby
09-07-2010, 08:16
Park in the car park outsde main booking office,,just as you depart terminal turn sharp left at roundabout,this will bring you into carpark. Slept there many times..:;);)

Byronic
09-07-2010, 08:17
Car park to ferry terminal booking office,can be a bit noisy but does have toilets.

Belgian
09-07-2010, 09:03
Have a look at
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france/8611-french-channel-coast.html

Nosha
09-07-2010, 21:00
I would move away from the port (for peace & quiet) and find an Aires in a village. Where are you heading? And I'll have a look on my sat nav.

Martinsouthwales
26-07-2010, 21:34
The official Aire at Gravelines N50 59 18 67, E2 07 21 51 is great. I last stayed there in April this year, arrivng on the 5 am ferry on our way to Netherlands. By 5.20 I was tucked up in bed. TomTom took me there and I found at least three empty spaces in the aire proper - thats the red gravel area opposite the river/canal. There is space opposite on the bank but not sure if you can park there legally although I've seen many do so. There is also a big empty carpark a stones throw away which would probably be ok in emergency, particularly if you were leaving early. This is a great Aire although no services apart from rubbish bins. If you look at Google earth the area I mention as red gravel is just a rough patch (google is out of date!) with the words Rue Du Port on it. The fort is just behind the aire - you can walk around it whilst keeping a close eye on your motorhome - not that you need to I think.Seems a safe area with Lidl just a short walk away - always a bonus :-) Have a great holiday.

snookcycling
01-06-2013, 18:23
old thread I know, but thought I would add:

I have parked overnight in the very centre of Dunkers a couple of times, the big main carpark on Quai des Hollandais opposite the big old sailing ship is a good one, really close to some nice restaurants and bars. Also outside the Seamans Mission is ok, with some reasonably priced bevvy and pool tables inside!

Frances
26-09-2013, 16:02
Update for info: I tried the Quais des Hollandaise car park in September 2013. It is pay and display and has a "no motorhome" sign.

POI Admin
26-09-2013, 16:21
Update for info: I tried the Quais des Hollandaise car park in September 2013. It is pay and display and has a "no motorhome" sign.

Thanks for the update - I've removed this from the POIs :D

windysurfer
26-09-2013, 17:18
There is another Aires in Gravelines here 51.001409,2.108624 which is free

rebbyvid
26-09-2013, 19:23
I used it a couple of weeks ago and it is in the French Poi's (which i didnt check out and had a job finding it) Turn left at Intermarche and keep going and you will come to the Quay dedicated parking bays for 8 vans .Its on Grande Fort-Philippe,I also have a couple of French Aire de services loaded on my Tom Tom which take me to Petit Fort-Philippe where there is another car park listed (not very well used).The services by the way are at the back of the police station on Rue de la Gendarmerie.

Frances
27-09-2013, 09:00
We stayed at Gravelines for 2 days (co-ordinates on Page one got us there perfectly). It wasn't a free aire. The cost was 6 euro from April to September and 3 euro the rest of the year. If you want free there were places at Grand Fort Phillipe and in the near vicinity, but Gravelines is just so convenient for the town. Its only a couple of mins walk to a Lidl store. This is a nice, town. We walked out to Petite Fort Phillipe and round the town walls. The services are about 1 mile from the marina (next to the Gendarmarie building) but well sign posted. Toilet emptying is free and water costs 1 euro. The area is worth a little exploration (walking or cycling), its not just an overnight stop for Dunkirk.

El Veterano
27-09-2013, 09:18
[QUOTE=This is a great Aire although no services apart from rubbish bins.

[/QUOTE]

Just to add that there are full services for this aire just up the road. Turn left as you come out of the aire and it should be signposted.
See I got beaten to this reply.
But one other point maybe to watch out for - stick to the designated camper parking bays. Any other areas along the waters edge there are for fishermen and they get right (rightly) pissed off if there's a dirty great camper parked in their spot!

mrbigglesworth
27-09-2013, 10:48
We use the carpark at the ferry terminal - easiest, cheapest and best. Never had a problem and always a good nights sleep.

Mr B.

UFO
05-10-2013, 10:07
The night before last we stopped at a MH parking area to the east of Dunkirk, around 15 spaces, no services and right on the beach. N51.05350, E002.41517

novice1968
05-10-2013, 10:16
A 2am in the morning I would not like to waste anymore sleep time 5 min drive to ticket office car park is my choice. Stayed there many times no problem, alway had a good night sleep

POI Admin
05-10-2013, 13:18
The night before last we stopped at a MH parking area to the east of Dunkirk, around 15 spaces, no services and right on the beach. N51.05350, E002.41517

You'll find this in the POIs as AF Dunkerque - Malo-Les-Bains:

http://tinyurl.com/n8jshdc

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS