PDA

View Full Version : electric blanket

yorkie
17-02-2007, 14:50
After many cold nights in our old vw with no heating we have perchaced an electric blanket,using an inverter and a 110amp leisure battery we were warm all night long on our first wild camp in brancaster.
has anyone else thought of this or are we the first?

virgil
17-02-2007, 14:58
Yo Yorkie... Has it been that cold it's took you from when you joined in Oct '05 to now to post your first thread?;)

Seriously though... Welcome!

I cannot recall seeing another thread about 240v blankets but I seem to remember an earlier thread about 12v ones! Yours may have the advantage in that you can use it at home when it's not being used in the MH! :D

yorkie
17-02-2007, 15:06
sorry we are a bit shy, i promise to try harder in the future!

virgil
17-02-2007, 15:16
In our old Toyota camper we had a small (read 8" x 5") fan heater, that plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter socket, and we would make a "tunnel" with the bedclothes and pointed the fan heater into one end of the tunnel, it took the chill off getting into bed!

I have found in the past that a bottle of red wine helps as well ;)

grath
17-02-2007, 16:33
Would not 2 bottles of red be better?;)
Regarding the elec blanket. will it not flatten ur battery if using the inverter for long periods:eek: or is an elec blanket low power?:cool:

yorkie
17-02-2007, 16:51
our blanket is only 80 watts, (less than a lightbulb) so it runs all night no problem for our battery!

grath
17-02-2007, 16:55
our blanket is only 80 watts, (less than a lightbulb) so it runs all night no problem for our battery!
Sounds good to me:cool:

ian81
17-02-2007, 20:20
If you look on ebay there are some 12v 50W blankets we have one and would recommend

mickymoor
17-02-2007, 21:53
hi yorkie
where in brancaster did you wild ?

grath
18-02-2007, 07:03
If you look on ebay there are some 12v 50W blankets we have one and would recommend
Hi jan81,
Thanks for info, however I don't want to buy one as I prefer to get into a cold bed!:eek:
I was just surprised that they only draw minimum power.:confused:
Maybe your info will be of good use to other members
Thanks again
regards graham

virgil
18-02-2007, 08:08

Just looked on ebay and they look good value, if a touch small... Is yours that approx, 1.2m x 1m size Ian81?

yorkie
18-02-2007, 15:05
no our blanket is just a normal double bed size.

yorkie
18-02-2007, 15:07
our wild camp was right outside the ship pub(good food, big log fire,good local beer!

ian81
18-02-2007, 17:23
Just looked on ebay and they look good value, if a touch small... Is yours that approx, 1.2m x 1m size Ian81?
Yes -it is a bit small but if you are friendly with your partner no problems!!

virgil
18-02-2007, 17:30
Yes -it is a bit small but if you are friendly with your partner no problems!!

I'm friends with my missus at the moment as we had our club dinner/dance last night and I volunteered to drive so she could imbibe some of the local red grape juice! :D

How long do they take to warm up?

rupert
18-02-2007, 18:34
I'm friends with my missus at the moment as we had our club dinner/dance last night and I volunteered to drive so she could imbibe some of the local red grape juice! :D

How long do they take to warm up?
Not as quich as my hug:p

teckguy
19-02-2007, 09:58
We have been using one for the last three years as we like to use the van as much as possible even in winter. A good tip is to use an electronic timer to switch it on then you can happily have a pint or two knowing your bed will be nice and warm to get in to.

virgil
19-02-2007, 10:31
And just as important is the timer will turn it off after you've had a pint or two and forgotten to do it yourself! :D

aylasmotorhome
04-03-2007, 18:55
hi, i have noticed that towsure, are selling a 12v blanket ont their website. We are new to this lark, only bought motorhome yesterday, but can well imagine the need for a heated blanket, sooo cold lastnight, lesley

virgil
04-03-2007, 18:58
hi, i have noticed that towsure, are selling a 12v blanket ont their website. We are new to this lark, only bought motorhome yesterday, but can well imagine the need for a heated blanket, sooo cold lastnight, lesley

Welcome Lesley!

I'm still waiting for my Towsure catalogue..... Ho hum...

billy1000
05-03-2007, 15:45
Surely with a decent heating system you don't have to worry with an electric blanket? I know with some of the older M/H's they are very thin walls and that can let the heat out but in mine it is like a sauna at times.

05-03-2007, 20:21
Surely with a decent heating system you don't have to worry with an electric blanket? I know with some of the older M/H's they are very thin walls and that can let the heat out but in mine it is like a sauna at times.
i agree with that billy,i took my 9 year old niece away just before xmas & the family were like "oh it will be cold","oh take extra blankets","how are you gonna keep warm" you know how people panic,well we were as warm as toast sitting watching tv in our t-shirts,she even said "phew sam turn the heating down its boiling in here" ha ha so the family need not have worried at all....i would like a 12v plug in blanket though cause i like it hot when traveling but hubby likes it cool,so i could wrap up in the blanket as were going along...:D

virgil
05-03-2007, 20:23
cause i like it hot when traveling

PARDON Samm!?:D;)

billy1000
05-03-2007, 20:25
i agree with that billy,i took my 9 year old niece away just before xmas & the family were like "oh it will be cold","oh take extra blankets","how are you gonna keep warm" you know how people panic,well we were as warm as toast sitting watching tv in our t-shirts,she even said "phew sam turn the heating down its boiling in here" ha ha so the family need not have worried at all....i would like a 12v plug in blanket though cause i like it hot when traveling but hubby likes it cool,so i could wrap up in the blanket as were going along...:D

I put it on in mine and it is better than a house for warmth and in the bedroom there is hot air ducts that send heat out from under the fixed beds so it is really warm in there. I usually have to have the thermostat turned down so it is only a quarter on otherwise the heat gets unbearable.

05-03-2007, 20:34
PARDON Samm!?:D;)
ha ha ha ha oh virgil you never let the side down bless you x x x :D :D :D

05-03-2007, 20:36
in the bedroom there is hot air ducts that send heat out from under the fixed beds so it is really warm in there..
mine doesnt need warming up,my beds always hot when im in it ha ha ha :rolleyes: :D :D :D

mandrake
21-10-2007, 22:41
After many cold nights in our old vw with no heating we have perchaced an electric blanket,using an inverter and a 110amp leisure battery we were warm all night long on our first wild camp in brancaster.
has anyone else thought of this or are we the first? thats well worth looking into even tho we have heating in this van unlike our other one

jenspen
26-10-2007, 15:29
Hiya
We camp quite a lot in cold weather especially up here in Scotland and find that a couple of hot water bottles and two dogs keeps us nice and warm.:) Jen

snowgoose
06-11-2007, 23:18
My old van has no heating in, but have a couple of hot water bottles to warm it tho being as the bed is along one side I sit on it as my main seat & this warms it up,also the Haggis Hunter claims it if I'm not there so no problem.Except this time had a frosty night in Wigtown so threw an old army blanket on top of the sleeping bag i have as an extra, next mornining,man was I sweating was really soaked,then found out the B****Y bottle had leaked out of the stopper. :eek:.
snowgoose.

Nosha
26-11-2007, 18:58
Not that old chesnut... the stopper leaked (lol)

lenny
26-11-2007, 20:18
In our old Toyota camper we had a small (read 8" x 5") fan heater, that plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter socket, and we would make a "tunnel" with the bedclothes and pointed the fan heater into one end of the tunnel, it took the chill off getting into bed!

I have found in the past that a bottle of red wine helps as well ;)

:p Hee Hee, I liked the last line, it made me chuckle,the wife looked over the top of her glasses and gave me a funny look.:rolleyes:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS