PDA

View Full Version : UK to USA

Danny Boy
16-07-2010, 22:40
Hi guys

We have decided to put our plans on travelling to India back until 2012 as we now have a plan of action to travel across the United States for 8 months heading off in March 2011.

Can anyone give guidance on what the best way is to get our Hymer into the States? So far from looking around on the web their is very little information that I have so far found with regards to anyone who has actually done it, legal implications, what companies offer the best rates for shipping a motorhome and what other implications may arise.

If anyone on here has done it or knows about information that will help us get the ball rolling I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Dan :)

vwalan
16-07-2010, 22:50
to be honest you might find it easier to buy something there. it was possible a few years ago to go from holland as deck cargo .and travel with the van. think its still possible . a friend took his 66 setra bus a few years ago . either way lots of hassle .if you buy there you need an address to reg etyc . i,m in the middle of trying to organise a few m,bike mates to do a route 66 on monkey bikes its getting harder by the minute .as some vehicles or bikes arent allowed in to california. we are hoping for one of the american importers to sponsor us as advertising forthem as a way round.
anyway it should be possible for you but i think best buy there .
cheers alan

mick_p
17-07-2010, 08:52
Dan,

How do you intend to stay in the US for 8 months when the maximum is 6 months * with a 6 month visa that you have to apply for and attend an interview at the American Embassy and is expensive to obtain.

* The 6 month visa can be extended a further 6 months by submitting a form I-539. One form covers a couple but will cost $300.

The other visa is the 3month or 90 days visa waiver which is the one normally used by those who holiday for two weeks going to Florida to visit Disney.

We stayed 2 years in North America by leaving the US (1st visa) and entering Canada for 6 months then re-entering the US (2nd visa) and finally applying on form I-539 for 6 month extension which was our 3rd visa.

Hope this helps?

Mick

Danny Boy
17-07-2010, 11:18
Thanks Mick

We was thinking of the 6 month visa and then looking at getting an extension.

The main issue is finding a way to get the van over to the States.
Still can't find a way as of yet.

I hear what you say @vwalan about buying one when we arrive but would much prefer to take our beautiful (but rather old) Hymer :)

OldAgeTravellers
17-07-2010, 11:47
Hi,
If you search for "Cute little RV" you will fond a CD available about a guy that shipped his Hymer to the States and the trials and tribulations of doing it and what he would do different if he did it again. But I think it was pre 9/11 so there may be some implications or he may have updated it.
Steve

MartianTom
30-09-2011, 18:34
Thanks Mick

We was thinking of the 6 month visa and then looking at getting an extension.

The main issue is finding a way to get the van over to the States.
Still can't find a way as of yet.

I hear what you say @vwalan about buying one when we arrive but would much prefer to take our beautiful (but rather old) Hymer :)

How's things going, Danny Boy? Any luck yet? I want to do the same trip, but I'm not getting rid of my van - and I certainly couldn't afford to buy another one unless I did that.

Maybe hiring is the alternative - though I don't think that would be cheap over an extended period of time.

Tony Lee
30-09-2011, 18:46
The RORO service used by most expedition vehicle owners in Europe to get their vehicle and themselves from Hamburg to South America goes via a USA port so that might be a possibility

Airecraft
30-09-2011, 20:50
If it's any help, we have just been quoted about 4000 return Bristol - Halifax for a 6m van as RO-RO including customs paperwork. This
put an end to our aspirations to use our van for 4 months -we're going to hire.

International Car Shipping. Car transport. GREAT RATES shipping cars overseas. Car delivery. Auto shippers USA auto transport UK Spain France Germany Italy. Boat and Yacht shipping moving (http://www.autoshippers.co.uk)

MartianTom
30-09-2011, 22:09
If it's any help, we have just been quoted about 4000 return Bristol - Halifax for a 6m van as RO-RO including customs paperwork. This
put an end to our aspirations to use our van for 4 months -we're going to hire.

International Car Shipping. Car transport. GREAT RATES shipping cars overseas. Car delivery. Auto shippers USA auto transport UK Spain France Germany Italy. Boat and Yacht shipping moving (http://www.autoshippers.co.uk)

Thanks for that info. My van's only a 16-footer, but I don't suppose that'll make much difference. 4000! Blimey, that's about 1.40 per mile! Almost as dear as running a motorhome! :D

novice1968
01-10-2011, 15:25
hi try this EnglishShipping09 (http://www.seabridge-tours.de/html/englishshipping09.html)
not sure how up to date but hopfully give you an idea to the cost

MartianTom
01-10-2011, 15:46
hi try this EnglishShipping09 (http://www.seabridge-tours.de/html/englishshipping09.html)

Thanks for that. By their calculations, mine would cost 1200, plus port fees and fuel surcharge one way. They go from many ports in Europe, the shortest being Liverpool to Halifax, NS (8 days). Interesting....

Tony Lee
01-10-2011, 16:19
-we're going to hire.

4 months - that's 120 days.

Cost of shipping $5000

works out at $40 a day.

Can't see you getting any sort of a motorhome for anything less than 3 times that even for that long term

lebesset
01-10-2011, 18:30
I just flew over and bought one ten years old .

one year and 24,000miles later I sold it again

depreciation and repairs ....2,000

insurance bought on line ...sales taxes vary state by state , we found somewhere where we didn't pay any !

garwatts
02-10-2011, 12:14
Any chance of a bit more detail please? Don't suppose you have a blog?
Cheers

dc6947
02-10-2011, 12:31
Just wanted to put out a word of caution re the visa thing. The 6 month visa is not a simple process by any means and not a guaranteed thing. A huge percentage of applicants for the 6 month visa get turned down. I have personal experience of this when i got turned down in October 2010, the visa office actually said to me that it is extremely hard to get a 6 month visa if you are otherwise eligible for the visa waiver (90 days). I took a huge itinerary along with me, proof of my home, ties to UK, proof of bank funds (pretty large amount at that) etc. and still got denied.

An extension to a 6 month visa is also a bit of an ordeal and not easy - not only that but when you travel to the USA originally you must not show any intention of staying beyond the permitted 6 months, if you don't show them a return ticket going home for within that 6 months you will be denied entry - so if you do manage to get the 6 month visa make sure to book the ticket for 6 months and show them you plan to return and then change your plans once you are there (!)

Good news is if you are of retirement age it is more likely you will be granted the 6 month visa.

All the above is based on experience and consultations i had with immigration lawyers and also hanging around the britishexpat forum for a couple of years ;). I'd suggest applying for the 6 month visa as soon as possible to see if you can actually get it or not. If you get turned down there is a chance you may also be turned down for the ESTA (visa waiver 90 days), although a lot of people still get accepted for it (we did, and travel on the ESTA now still but have to limit ourselves to 90 day trips).

MartianTom
06-10-2011, 22:26

I've sent my vehicle dimensions to this company for a quote and am waiting to hear. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Mine is a relatively small motorhome - 16' long, 9' 8" high, 7' 4" wide.

UPDATE: Got my answer immediately! The company charges 43 Euros per cubic metre. My motorhome is 31.97 cubic metres. The one-way cost of transporting it from Liverpool to Halifax NS - including port, inspection and forwarding charges - is currently 2559.74 Euros. At today's rate, that's just over 2200 - PLUS brokerage charges at Liverpool, which they couldn't quote me for.

Add on the return journey, a 90-day trip would cost somewhere in the region of 50 a day!

Hm... may have to rethink this...

nomadtim
05-07-2015, 12:01
Try Seabridge.com they seem to have it sown up they ship Motorhomes all over the world.
Hope this helps

Clunegapyears
29-12-2015, 19:03
Hi
Thinking of shipping our 'van out to the USA .. 6 months in USA and then into Canada and hopefully back into USA. Have read a to about Seabridge, GPL bottles etc.
But has anyone done it recently? Is anyone in the middle of planning it?
My concerns are:

insurance for the van - we have Chicago family we can use as residence. Best bought out there, I guess
insurance for us - medical and accident / personal belongings
visas moving from USA to Canada, Alaska and back again
maintenance and repairs for a Fiat Ducato engine and Bessacarr habitation

Happy to share the workload with someone who planning at the moment.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS