PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Council run sites

maingate
19-07-2010, 15:17
Hi all,

I have started planning our trip up the East coast of Scotland. When I leafed through my C&CC sites directory I noticed that several County Councils run their own campsites. I never knew this, as it does not seem to happen in England.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these sites? Are they any good? Are they cheap or expensive?

We are planning on wilding but I always like to have a backup plan. We may need a night on sites for disposal purposes. I intend to google earth some of them as they appear to be in nice coastal locations.

The trip will start just as the kids go back to school. I love kids but could`nt eat a whole one.:D

Any help would be appreciated.

kangooroo
19-07-2010, 18:50
I've never seen or used one but I was told about them while in Scotland. Apparently there's one on the northern coast described as 'basic but clean' with sanitary fittings which wouldn't look out of place in the 1930's. Fellow campers were joking about it but agreed the sites served a purpose and were cheap (5 pitch?) but no hook-up.

Sorry I can't be more specific...

Brandyman
19-07-2010, 19:22
Hi all,

I have started planning our trip up the East coast of Scotland. When I leafed through my C&CC sites directory I noticed that several County Councils run their own campsites. I never knew this, as it does not seem to happen in England.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these sites? Are they any good? Are they cheap or expensive?

We are planning on wilding but I always like to have a backup plan. We may need a night on sites for disposal purposes. I intend to google earth some of them as they appear to be in nice coastal locations.

The trip will start just as the kids go back to school. I love kids but could`nt eat a whole one.:D

I have been wild camping east coast for four weeks only going into site to do
washing presently in Cullen under via duct next to golf coarse sitting on gravel no problems here toilets not far away at harbour.
When in Stonehaven we camped at car park down at harbour toilets here with shower need radar key car park very busy in day time at around nine at night it is near empty.
Peterhead at camp site don't turn in go veer right towards marina park up for night only dog walkers at night. .
Hope this helps Camp sites are around 9 50 pension (would not recommend Stonehaven has been problems with traveler's) more information if needed brandyman

magbrin
19-07-2010, 19:34
Isn't the Stromness site on Orkney a council site? Haven't been there for years or with a van but when I was there with a tent it was very good :) The council site in Inverness looks good, and I know someone who has been reviewing sites for a magazine recently and she indicated that the Aberdeenshire council sites are good. Again, sorry not to be any more specific:(

arthur49
19-07-2010, 19:36
Hi all,

Check out Aberdeenshire Council website here
Aberdeenshire Council - Caravan Parks (http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/caravanparks/index.asp).

We've stayed at several. Good value at about 9/night including hook up if you are 60 or over. Inverbervie is community owned and right down at the sea - we love it. Aden Country Park site at Mintlaw very good. Not stayed at Stonehaven but we too have heard tales of 'troublesome' residents. The north coast from Fraserburgh westwards is great with some nice fishing villages etc

I am biased a little as I was born and brought up in the north east!

Arthur

Slowhand
21-08-2010, 13:23
The site at Inverbervie is nice but has a resident load of travellers and there kids run wild all day,it is a pity because this would be a lovely spot otherwise with very good sea angling from the pebble beach.

maingate
21-08-2010, 14:19
Hi Slowhand,

Funnily enough, I have just finished off printing out the site details for the 7 coastal parks.

Thanks for the tip about Inverbervie, I had already been told about Stonehaven having a similar problem.They are just for backup as we plan to wild it.

The sites at Portsoy and Rosehearty seem to be very nicely situated so we might have a nosey out of curiosity. The prices for anyone over 60 are very good, considering the location and facilities. It would be a lot more expensive if they were sited in Cornwall.:rolleyes:

High season with hookup is 18. Over 60 years old (concession) is 10.50.
That is for Peterhead which is the most expensive, the others are cheaper.
They are only open March to later October but I suppose it is very quiet out of season.

dunk
21-08-2010, 14:44
hi there
over the years we have been on a few council sites and all were clean.
the one in fraserburgh has a great view. (my home town ;)
Peterhead where i now live also has a nice site.

dunk

p,s there are a lot of places to park up to around here :p

John Thompson
21-08-2010, 15:18
Hi all,

Hi Maingate.

Yes councils can run their own sites or set them up and lease them to an operator.

You have two that started that way near you.

Gatesheah MBC set up the site at Rowlands Gill. Consett UDC set up the site at Allensford also Stanley UDC set up the one at Harperly Hall Hotel (former Stanley Zoo site) (but that is now closed) That pub was known as the "Rate Payer's Arms" by locals.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960

Confers powers to local authorities to provide sites where caravans may be brought, whether for holidays or other temporary purposes or for use as permanent residences, and to manage the sites or lease them to some other person.

A local authority shall have power to do anything appearing to them desirable in connection with the provision of such sites, and in particular -
(a) to acquire land which is in use as a caravan site, or which has been laid out as a caravan site, or
(b) to provide for the use of those occupying caravan sites any services or facilities for their health or convenience.

I believe the above councils used this part of the act to set the sites up to avoid having to put in proper sites for travellers as they could claim to have sites but still kept the travellers out.

John

maingate
21-08-2010, 15:46
Hi Dunk,

I have a lot of wilding spots to investigate on our way up the East Coast. Some are on the POI database but are lot are not. They look possible according to google earth but when I try streetview, my computer just freezes. I have tried hitting it with my hammer but it does`nt work.:p

Hi John,

That is an interesting bit of information you have given. I remember that the caravan site at Birtley was an excellent site many years ago but went downhill when a lot of dole scroungers moved in. A lot of local people used to use the bar at weekends. It had a great clubhouse but I believe they lost the drinks licence because of trouble.

Slowhand
21-08-2010, 18:15
Portsoy.

If sea fishing from the shore is your thing then Portsoy is a great choice. Plenty lug to dig in the harbour and plenty red codling and conger going about. The old open air swimming pool is good for plaice as well.

Eric.

Davesport
21-08-2010, 18:47
Hi Maingate.

Do a Google for "Dalchalm" There's an excellent small site there before you get to the C&CC site. It's about half a mile north of Brora on the right hand side. Google streets brora - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brora&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.175733,56.90918&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brora,+Sutherland,+United+Kingdom&ll=58.033531,-3.845387&spn=0,0.055575&z=15&layer=c&cbll=58.029678,-3.849884&panoid=GFoR5xOjiJpHAKAjI7FaAg&cbp=12,130.04,,0,5)

After you turn off from the A9 follow the ropad across the rail bridge & the site is 1st on the left. Tenner a night with showers & bogs. The showers take 20 P's but before you put any money in have a look at the meter as there's usually about an hours worth of credit on there anyway. A couple of hundred yards along the same road is the C&CC site :eek: All crammed in like sardines paying an arm & a leg. Each to his own ;)

Have a good time. D.

maingate
21-08-2010, 20:34
Thanks Davesport, I have marked it up on my road atlas. There is more ink than print on it now.:)

One problem I am having, which is slightly off topic.:eek: is that I am having trouble finding any garages that sell Autogas. It is fine as far North as Inverness but I cannot find any garages online after that.

Does anybody know different please.:)

keithhep
21-08-2010, 20:57
Thanks Davesport, I have marked it up on my road atlas. There is more ink than print on it now.:)

One problem I am having, which is slightly off topic.:eek: is that I am having trouble finding any garages that sell Autogas. It is fine as far North as Inverness but I cannot find any garages online after that.

Just been along from Inverness to Fraserburgh and filled up in a Shell garage in the main road through Elgin. Also told of one at Nairn. Shell garage at Fraserburgh near Tesco also does it.

Should be many along that coast as the fishing ports have LPG powered Fork Lift trucks.

Keith

arthur49
25-08-2010, 13:24
Just returned from 3 weeks in Aberdeenshire - this is what we experienced

Haughton House, Alford - Nice site pleasant staff. Cold water in showers which appeared to be overstretched when busy - too busy for us. Noisy one night. Unruly group of 3 generations shouting, swearing till 3.30am one night. Maybe we were just unlucky.........................?

Turriff - Pleasant. Short walk to town centre

Portsoy - Excellent. Right on the sea. Only 2 hardstandings. We were on grass (on a slope!) but managed to get off OK despite it being very wet.

Findochty (pronounced Finechty!) - private site about 16/night in high season but a fantastic location right on the shore. Good pub about 3 minutes away. The highlight of our trip ...........

Banff - Busy but pleasant again right on the shore

Aden Country Park Mintlaw - we love it. Very busy at weekends. Take your bikes and cycle along the old railway, east as far as Peterhead. West to Maud/Auchnagatt and north to Fraserburgh. We do bits of it only!!

Rosehearty - didn't stay but it was empty when we passed and looks pleasant. No EHU if you need to charge your batteries

Apart from Findochty we were paying between 9 and 10.50/night.

Sad to hear about Inverbervie as last time we were there (April) we were on our own and warden said she kept 'unrulies' off!!!

Arthur:cool:

arthur49
25-08-2010, 13:36

Hi Maingate
Have you tried the following link? There are Autogas stations north of Inverness, albeit not many
Find an LPG Autogas filling station (http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/map/index.php?zone=highland)
Arthur:cool:

Donsider
25-08-2010, 14:18
Look up the Scottish Caravaners website and look at Aberdeenshire Council sites.
Over 60s get a good rate 8.... 10.50 per night with electric.
There are about eight in the North East.Enjoy your trip.

Donsider.

dunk
25-08-2010, 19:27
we spent a night at Findochty last month & watched the dolphins as the passed in the morning:):)
lovely site;)

dunk

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS