PDA

View Full Version : Planning a few days in France in August

bru77y
22-07-2010, 17:38
Hi Guys and Girls,

Recently joined the forum and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through the posts.

Made good use of info with an overnight stop at Vennford Res on Dartmoor a few weeks back.

I want to take my son to France in my as yet unconverted VW T4 van. I'm wondering if I will have any issues overnighting at Aires in a plain van?

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Many thanks.

Mark

Mudders
22-07-2010, 20:24
I don't think you'll have any trouble, as long as you stick to the rules, and if necessary pay the fee. Most aires are free and there's no one around anyway.
Have a good trip
Kathy

Hobbsy
22-07-2010, 20:42
I have just drone a 2 week tour of France (in my t4)! I don't think you will have any trouble mate, I would dodge leharve aire near the port and I would deffo reccomend the aire at hon fluer and le mont saint michel
There are others I stayed at 2!
Let us know where you plan on going and I could give you a bit more info if you like

vwalan
22-07-2010, 22:04
hi could be very busy at that time of year .but dont worry in france you can park just about anywhere in a camper. find a village go to the church most have big carpark and clean toilets . careful on saturdays . could get blocked in . sometimes we park in the police station car park if the aires are full they dont care.

bru77y
23-07-2010, 06:44
Thanks for that. I was more concerned about whether the fact I'll be in a plain van, and not a camper, will be an issue. Hasn't even got side windows. Definitely a stealth camper at the moment!

vwalan
23-07-2010, 09:01
if you are passing your local dvla office pop in ask for document p15revs how to import a vehicle into great britain.on page 30 they give a definition of what a m,caravan must contain to be classed as a m,caravan. windows do not play a part in it. having discussed this personally with dft and dvla they admit we dont need windows. i like a van with a high top and just put long narrow windows in the roof sides gives light but still looks like a van. bit of carboard at night up against the window looks like a box .cheers alan.

wayfarer
26-07-2010, 13:51
Thanks for that. I was more concerned about whether the fact I'll be in a plain van, and not a camper, will be an issue. Hasn't even got side windows. Definitely a stealth camper at the moment!

That shouldn't be a problem as I have seen plenty of plain vans with a mattress and a folding table and chairs at several Aires this June in France, nobody seems to mind.

defitzi
26-07-2010, 17:40
unlikely just make sure matteress is comfy also remember tie down put portapotty!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS