PDA

View Full Version : A route for trip to France in September.

Martinsouthwales
26-07-2010, 21:05
Would anyone have any suggestions for a leisurely tour through France over three weeks in September? I am going armed with "All the Aires" and also a site guide for emergencies but it's the actual route/area that I can't decide on. I have a penchant for water - either sea or rivers but that's as far as I've got. I don't want to make it too arduous and will probably want to stay a few days here and there as my wife isn't that well and I don't want to wear her out with too many driving hours. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Martin.

wayfarer
27-07-2010, 14:55
Which part of France do you arrive at. If you like water then a trip down the west coast is well worth while, probably the greatest concentration of aires in France and many of them on or near beaches. Another one would be to follow the Loire river inland and then south towards its source, we have done this over 2 yrs and it is lovely, plenty of aires and campsites along the route.

Hobbsy
27-07-2010, 17:21
i planned my route from callais tobrittany via some chosen aires in the "all the aires book"
i would recomend hon fluer and then le mont stmichel (check spelling) these were awsome places!

Martinsouthwales
27-07-2010, 21:15
Which part of France do you arrive at. If you like water then a trip down the west coast is well worth while, probably the greatest concentration of aires in France and many of them on or near beaches. Another one would be to follow the Loire river inland and then south towards its source, we have done this over 2 yrs and it is lovely, plenty of aires and campsites along the route.

Thanks. I arrive at Calais. Either of these sounds good to me. I will get the maps and books out and muse for a while. Thanks for your input.

Martin.

Martinsouthwales
27-07-2010, 21:21
i planned my route from callais tobrittany via some chosen aires in the "all the aires book"
i would recomend hon fluer and then le mont stmichel (check spelling) these were awsome places!

Thanks for your suggestions. I've never seen Honfleur but have always had a fancy for it so that will definitely be an option to consider. As you say, Le Mont St. Michel is an awesome place. I've been there a couple of times but never with a motorhome Hmmmm decision, decisions. It must be good to wake in the morning to the view of that mystical isle I must say.. Why didn't I get a motorhome sooner?

Martin

vwalan
27-07-2010, 22:29
hi, best not plan. just enjoy the trip .go where you go when you go. best trips are not made with plans, too many places and things to look at. in sept there will be loads of spaces in the aires and even in the small villages you can find parking. sometimes stopping for fuel takes all day as local people say hello and invite you to see something of interest. you will wish you had three months not three weeks. cheers have a good trip.

Nosha
28-07-2010, 17:25
As per Wayfairer although it's a long drive from Calais, a trip from Brest down the West coast is superb!!!

cipro
28-07-2010, 19:20
Would anyone have any suggestions for a leisurely tour through France over three weeks in September? I am going armed with "All the Aires" and also a site guide for emergencies but it's the actual route/area that I can't decide on. I have a penchant for water - either sea or rivers but that's as far as I've got. I don't want to make it too arduous and will probably want to stay a few days here and there as my wife isn't that well and I don't want to wear her out with too many driving hours. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Martin.

We are going september too and we will be doing the war beaches stuff
then st micheal mount and this will be our first trip in the west side:D

so you could try the champagne area then go to mont blanc which is mountaines its brill do a france search for pics

cipro
28-07-2010, 19:26
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/4145-france-pics-2008-a.html?highlight=france

try this link for pics alpe du huez and monaco:D couple years back

trixym06
28-07-2010, 19:45
Hello,

We are also going to France in September with our Motorhome. At the Loire or at any River you should find good Aires. If you like surfing or just spending time at the beach with a bit of culture, the west coast is great.

Good luck,
a Motorhomer from Ireland:

vwalan
28-07-2010, 19:58
off the ferry turn right. keep the sea on the right if there is a road between you and the sea you are on the wrong road. dont need sat nav or anything .when you are half way through your time turn round keep the sea on the left. .it does look different going the other way and you see things you missed first time . try it loads aires on that stretch. bet you have the best trip you have ever had .dont drive over 40 mile an hour and look around all the time . cheers alan.

Martinsouthwales
10-08-2010, 14:50
Thank you for this link. I shall be studying that in a moment. I think whatever route I take I will take VWALAN's advice and not plan too hard. Best laid plans of mice and men are sure to go awry anyway so I think he is right. :-)

Ross K
10-08-2010, 14:59
Martin, another vote for Honfleur and Etretat, lovely coastal villages with stunning cliffs, well worth a visit. It's the area the impressionists used to all hang out and paint back in the day.

benneworth
10-08-2010, 15:05
Have a look at Lac du Der - Bienvenue sur le site officiel du Lac du Der (http://www.lacduder.com) Largest man made lake in Europe. Great facilities and 2 or 3 'aires' with space for at lease 50+ motorhomes. On the way you pass through the Champagne region, so pick up a bottle or two and chill out here for a few days.

Neckender
10-08-2010, 17:33
We are also going in September just getting off the ferry at Calais and turning right, first stop Honfluer then who knows.

John.

Nicholson
05-09-2010, 16:23
What’s the opinion of the web site motorhomingfrance.co.uk (http://www.motorhomingfrance.co.uk/)
And is it worth joining?

Nolly
05-09-2010, 20:47
Have a look at Lac du Der - Bienvenue sur le site officiel du Lac du Der (http://www.lacduder.com) Largest man made lake in Europe. Great facilities and 2 or 3 'aires' with space for at lease 50+ motorhomes. On the way you pass through the Champagne region, so pick up a bottle or two and chill out here for a few days.

Hi Benneworth. Every year we said that we do this route home and this year we did. Should have done it sooner. Also took in the lakes around Troy lots of places to stop so we'll certainly go via there again next year en route to the UK.:)
You've had plenty of good advise on routes to take MartinSouthWales & I personally think that you have made the right decision, so I'll wish you "Bonne route". Nolly. :):)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS