PDA

View Full Version : Basque Country & Ebro Valley (Spain)

magbrin
19-08-2010, 20:51
Our plan (timing dependant on arrival of first grandbaby) is to visit the Basque country - France and Spain - in the autumn, and then follow the Ebro valley to the East Coast of Spain.

I would appreciate any relevent information on places to visit, routes to take, places to stay (aires, France Passion, wild and the odd site now and again to have a shower, in case the solar shower doesn't perform too well at that time of year!! ), walk, paddle (dinghy), even swim. An anything NOT to do!

Likely timing is late October/early November. I am told that this can be a good time in the Basque Country, with clear days and excellent light. However I am also aware that it can be wet. If it is - we'll move on

Look forward to hearing your experiences of the area.
Magbrin

grath
19-08-2010, 21:09
Our plan (timing dependant on arrival of first grandbaby) is to visit the Basque country - France and Spain - in the autumn, and then follow the Ebro valley to the East Coast of Spain.

I would appreciate any relevent information on places to visit, routes to take, places to stay (aires, France Passion, wild and the odd site now and again to have a shower, in case the solar shower doesn't perform too well at that time of year!! ), walk, paddle (dinghy), even swim. An anything NOT to do!

Likely timing is late October/early November. I am told that this can be a good time in the Basque Country, with clear days and excellent light. However I am also aware that it can be wet. If it is - we'll move on

Magbrin

Hi Magbrin.
It can also be bloody cold so take some warm clothing.
You will be able to get a shower at most of the restaurants where the trucks stop and if you eat there which will be reasonably cheap, you may not have to pay for the shower.
Have a great time

Dezi
20-08-2010, 08:04
Magbrin[/QUOTE][QUOTE=magbrin;110471]Our plan (timing dependant on arrival of first grandbaby) is to visit the Basque country - France and Spain - in the autumn, and then follow the Ebro valley to the East Coast of Spain.

Hi, We were in the area during March last year. Parked up on the pass at col de pourtalet overnight. minus- 9.o & heavy sleet. However if you go from St jean-pied- de-Port in France along the D933 (old pilgrim route) to Roncesvalles & Pamplona N-135 then plenty of free parking. Hostels provided for the pilgrims will always allow you to shower for a couple of Euros or simply a donation.

The tourist office in Roncesvalles even gave us a free C.D. of the Basque Country.

Dezi

magbrin
21-08-2010, 21:12
Thanks to you both.
Remember we live in the North of Scotland, so anything on the French Spanish border in October/November is not going to be too bad - we are not expecting summer temperatures - although some sun would be good:D

barryd
22-08-2010, 11:09
We did the entire length of the Pyrenees from Med to Atlantic in April/May. Weather was perfect. Warm and sunny but still snow in the Ski resports (people were sunbathing on the mountain tops. Basque country whilst interesting was not the highlight of the trip for us. If your going to go all that way I would take in Biarritz for a busy classy(ish) seaside resort. Lordes and for us the highlight of the entire trip Cirque Gavarnie and Cauterets in the middle of the French Pyrenees. Simply stunning and not too far from Basque Country. Not sure what the weather will be like in the Autumn but it was fab in the spring

Superb Aires at Cauterets and Gavarnie.

cheers
BD

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS