PDA

View Full Version : Another Aberystwyth stopover

blinkinflip
20-08-2010, 21:26
If the prom is full a good alternative is Tan y Bwllch beach, just the other side of the harbour entrance:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.405398&lon=-4.089524&z=16&r=0&src=msa
There's a couple of nice walks from here, one along the river and one up Pen Dinas if you're feeling energetic!

grath
20-08-2010, 21:42
If the prom is full a good alternative is Tan y Bwllch beach, just the other side of the harbour entrance:

Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash (http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.405398&lon=-4.089524&z=16&r=0&src=msa)
There's a couple of nice walks from here, one along the river and one up Pen Dinas if you're feeling energetic!

Hi blinkinflip.
I thought there was a sign over there either weight limit or no camping cars or no over night?
Can you confirm there is not?:confused:

Canalsman
20-08-2010, 23:34
Streetview shows a sign saying 'Beach closed to caravans'.

Motorhomes OK then ????

blinkinflip
21-08-2010, 01:20
I haven't had any problems there, no signs saying 'no camping' etc. apart from the 'closed to caravans' one. Last time I stopped over there were four other motorhomes, late at night a police car pulled up next to me - they had a quick fag break then drove off!

:o I hadn't noticed anything about a weight limit (sensitive issue...) so I'll check that out in the morning and get back to you!

grath
21-08-2010, 08:00
Thanks Guy's, I thought I had seen something otherwise as I do overnight in Aberystwith (on the prom) and I would have given it a go.
I have seen vans there during the day, but never noticed them at night.
If it is ok I will give it a go as it seems a quiet spot.

chopper
21-08-2010, 11:29
hi we spent 4 days and nights on there
very quiet and locals walking there dogs are very friendly
nice walk into town along the mariner front
and laundrett just over the bridge
love it there and always other vans there

21-08-2010, 12:06
Thanks Chopper, its really strange as we do stop on the front a couple of times every year and never seen vans on that bit over night.
We will give it a go then.
I suppose that the sign saying No Caravans could be called playing with words as we drive Motor Caravans:D
Probably a case of not permitted but tolerated:D:confused:

chopper
21-08-2010, 12:19
yeah we stay there lots of times through out the year 4 times this year so far good place to relax
just be carefull next to the edge of car park
no barriers and a big drop
theres the wine bar just over the bridge if your walking down past the harbour
or if you walk the road you drove in on theres a little convenience store and a pub next door about 5 or 10 min walk

21-08-2010, 12:27
yeah we stay there lots of times through out the year 4 times this year so far good place to relax
just be carefull next to the edge of car park
no barriers and a big drop
theres the wine bar just over the bridge if your walking down past the harbour
or if you walk the road you drove in on theres a little convenience store and a pub next door about 5 or 10 min walk

Thanks Chopper, I know the area as we have walked to it from the prom a couple of times, either through the boatyard and along the front or down the road past the houses.
I had read the sign but could not remember what it said

Basil
22-08-2010, 14:16
I was there last week and it was ok....

grath
28-09-2010, 09:35
Last week over the bridge, the sign!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4635.jpg

Harbour & prom in the background
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4634.jpg

link below
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wales/11442-aberystyth.html

brotherjoe
12-10-2010, 07:40
Stayed here 2 weeks ago along with one other van that was already parked up.

Was amazed to be walking to be walking out on the concrete walkway when 3 dolphins came swimming past about 20yds away :)

MichaelU
25-02-2011, 18:16
Just spent 2 most pleasurable nights there.

Locals very friendly, but they ignore the 'clean up after your dog' signs tut tut.

No caravans signage is because the slope off the bridge access is awkward and couplings would ground so take your motorhome not your caravan :)

Cleaned up after the scruffs who dumped their empty pizza box out of their car window some 4 metres from the 2 empty bins; always litter pick on arrival (makes where you are staying nice) and departure (does it for those who follow). In lieu of site fees :cool:

It is a lovely base from which to walk along the coast or in to Aberystwyth.

Will return.

doesmyedin
18-07-2013, 16:35
just left there, ideal, but one old man who lives opposite had a moan at one of the campers saying it shouldnt be allowed, who kindly told him where to go.

Smaug
18-07-2013, 17:09
just left there, ideal, but one old man who lives opposite had a moan at one of the campers saying it shouldnt be allowed, who kindly told him where to go.

I hope they weren't rude to him as that exacerbates the problem.

It is usually better to ask what they object to & offer a cup of tea & a biccy as you explain their fears away. Abusing unhappy people just confirms their worst fears & frightens them even more. We need to make our own case whenever we can, no-one else will run a PR campaign for us.

fofeg101
18-07-2013, 17:50
We stayed on the Prom a couple of years ago, sitting on a bench outside our van I watched a Red Kite cruising up and down the beach below, but I'm not sure how long over-nighting there will continue to be allowed, it does seem to a location to good to be true.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS