PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Tiree

mardee
23-08-2010, 16:52
Booklets are being handed out by Calmac on the ferry to Tiree stating that wildcamping is not allowed on the island.
The information in the leaflet is also on Isle of Tiree Community Web Site - Home Page (http://www.isleoftiree.com).
There are designated sites provided at 10 per night and most seem to have no facilities and water has to be taken on at the pier.
It also says they have no facility for emptying chemical toilets.
I wanted to make others aware of this as they have welcolmed wild camping of motorhomes for a long time
Margaret

davids duetto
24-08-2010, 06:43
looks like holiday makers in motorhomes not wanted.

marc
31-01-2011, 03:37
this is becouse alot of people that went there didnt stay on the paths and made their own tracks all over the machair. so this has spoiled it all for the rest of us who do take care and respect where we go. am sure we will see alot more of this through out the west coast of scotland.

Guernsey Donkey
01-02-2011, 14:49
Take a look at this site - looks ok to me for the price.

Camp - Wild Diamond (http://www.wilddiamond.co.uk/category/camp/)

magbrin
02-02-2011, 13:41
Booklets are being handed out by Calmac on the ferry to Tiree stating that wildcamping is not allowed on the island.
The information in the leaflet is also on Isle of Tiree Community Web Site - Home Page (http://www.isleoftiree.com).
There are designated sites provided at 10 per night and most seem to have no facilities and water has to be taken on at the pier.
It also says they have no facility for emptying chemical toilets.
I wanted to make others aware of this as they have welcolmed wild camping of motorhomes for a long time
Margaret

It's sad ............. and I fear it is spreading:(:(
At the moment though, there are still plenty of places in the Highlands and Islands you can stay, free of charge many of them on Canalsmans wild POIs:D

marc
03-02-2011, 04:49
hey donkey. i stayed down in alderney for a while loved the channel islands but missed the freedom of scotland. how u finding lewis. my family have a holiday house on tiree so am sorted for camping up there and my dad has family from lewis so sorted up that way 2. the only advise i can say is if you are up on the isles and dont want to camp in a camp site. ask around or ask a farmer they can only say no.

shorts
22-04-2011, 10:30
it was not just making tracks over the machiar that spoiled it, when I lived on Tiree among a lot of the complaints were the dumping of rubbish, people bringing all their own food so not using local shops hotels and restaurants. The duke of argyll basically stated he was not having that on "his" island.
Its not just campers but even locals felt half the time they were not wanted there.

Delboy
22-04-2011, 11:24
Well there was a programme on travellers in Scotland on the iplayer, which I posted on this site, and they visited Tiree! And it didn't look as though they used a recognised site! Because it's part of their culture!

mardee
24-07-2012, 17:33
We visited Tiree on a day trip using bicycles. It was noticeable that there were very few Motorhomes on the ferry or on the island.
This was in spite of it being a few days before the Tiree Music Festival. We passed several of the designated 10 a night sites and they were empty.
They now have a place for emptying of toilet cassettes at the public toilets.
Margaret and David

4maddogs
01-08-2012, 20:53
I spent 4 days on Tiree a week or so ago.

The campsite is pretty good, especially if you stay more than one night as there is a discount. It is friendly and easygoing with optional hookup, a hardstanding area and some facilities including free WiFi. They are not allowed a chemical disposal point, but there is a point near the pier. It os by the public loos and is a walk away from the tap so you have to to and fro a bit.

The tenner a night croft sites are variable. You are not expected to share with livestock, but I did and it was a filthy and unprepared site. I fed this back to the access officer. Other sites were OK, but no facilities so a bit steep for 10 (for one person in my case) as it was a day before the festival when I left, I did notice some vans were wildcamping....I don't know how they got away with it. Although you have to book over the phone for the ferry thay do not ask for proof of booking of sites so I suppose it is easier to fiddle at busy times.

Beautiful place, but the restrictions are unfortunate.

noody
04-09-2012, 17:54
I've been planning a trip to Tiree for some time though have been concerned about the stories. Just looking at the Tiree website (for which i'll give you a link) and lifted this from it.

A chemical disposal point - and a designated wheelie bin for
refuse- are situated by the public toilets in Scarinish. A tap for
fresh water is also located here.

Here is the link to the site.

Isle of Tiree Community Web Site - History & Heritage - The Sea (http://www.isleoftiree.com/history-nat-heritage.html)

I find it unbelievable that the rural-development people can get involved and ignore the need for sanitation solutions. I rarely go wild camping because I don't want to associate with people who dig holes in the ground to dump their potty-contents. Sometimes not even digging a hole. Whatever you choose to call it, it isn't really wild and you have to find a suitable place to dispose of your foul waste and other waste.

I'm going to phone the rural development people up so I can find out what the feelings are about motorhomes.

Boing
05-09-2012, 16:45
I take it you didn't follow the link through to the camp site?

Camp - Wild Diamond (http://www.wilddiamond.co.uk/category/camp/)

noody
05-09-2012, 17:05
Ahhh-yes.

I did this afternoon, thank-you. It's coming together, though slowly.

So there is water at the camp site, and toilets. But no where is mentioned to empty sanitation yet they have toilets. I carry a spare cassette so i'm usually covered and for such a small island traveling to an approved point for disposal isn't a problem.

What worries me is, is there a poor attitude to motorhome visitors on Tiree as a result of previous motorhome visitors either not being managed or behaving in an un-aproved manner which amounts to the same thing.

noody
14-05-2013, 13:27
No-one has added to this thread since last year so presumably nothing new to add, 10 a night is actually 20 a night for two people in a van or motorhome. It's expensive though their season is very short.

Anyone been since last year ?

I didn't make it last year because I needed to change my wheel bearing at the 11th hour. This year i'm going, in fact i'm going this month.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS