PDA

View Full Version : Ogmore-by-the-Sea

brian's mum
26-08-2010, 17:25
Spent a blustery night here, gorgeous spot, nice access to the beach, however there are big 'YOU WILL GET FINED' signs up. We took our chances and were fine. It is a car park though with pay and display starting at 8.30, so up and off early. You are also overlooked by a lot of houses, so not a secretive as some of the spots we had found in other places. Beautiful nevertheless.

caspar
26-08-2010, 19:19
Yep, Ogmore is a lovely place - very near where we live. A little word of warning to others - you were lucky! They do regularly patrol and fine people. Glad you got away with it. There are other spots nearby which are legal. The main one is Newton Beach car park (just across the river from where you were) on Beach Road just outside Porthcawl in Newton itself. Should be added to next version of database as I've given it to Canalsman!

jogguk
26-08-2010, 21:56
....... The main one is Newton Beach car park (just across the river from where you were) on Beach Road just outside Porthcawl in Newton itself. Should be added to next version of database as I've given it to Canalsman!

I haven't been to this bit of the welsh coast for sometime but what about Nash Point or Lantwit Major beach carparks? Do they have the dreaded signs?

They are a lot more secluded than Ogmore.

john

Canalsman
26-08-2010, 22:33
Yep, Ogmore is a lovely place - very near where we live. A little word of warning to others - you were lucky! They do regularly patrol and fine people. Glad you got away with it. There are other spots nearby which are legal. The main one is Newton Beach car park (just across the river from where you were) on Beach Road just outside Porthcawl in Newton itself. Should be added to next version of database as I've given it to Canalsman!

The Beach Road spot is already in the POI database ...

A new version of the database with more than 200 extra places will be available very shortly :)

caspar
27-08-2010, 09:49
I haven't been to this bit of the welsh coast for sometime but what about Nash Point or Lantwit Major beach carparks? Do they have the dreaded signs?

They are a lot more secluded than Ogmore.

john

Unsure about these two. I know the locals at Llantwit Major can be very quick to complain, but will check both out when we go home early September. Thanks for the suggestions!

MattLG
03-10-2011, 08:15
I went to the Beach Road car park this weekend and there was a big sign informing you that this land is private property. Other signs also say that overnight parking is not permitted.

Overnight camping where there are signs saying not to is fair enough, you take your chances. but if this really is private land, then I think it's a bit out of order.

Can anyone clarify this? I can't believe this site would condone parking on private property without permission.

MattLG

donkey too
03-10-2011, 08:31
I have used 51.473845, -3.623471 quite often over the last twenty years:wave:, it is on the right just before Ogmore beach and just after the bridge to the water treatment works. Never hyad any problems and can't recall any signs. It is six months or so sinse I was last there tho' It is a well used free car park during the daytime. If this is now off limits I would be glad of any new up to date info from someone who lives near there.:wave:

donkey too
03-10-2011, 08:37

I thought there were probs with Newton Beach now. Can you check and clarify Caspar?
I also used a lane oppo the old entrance to the Stormy Down air base some years ago. Used to do some courting down there.:blah: Is that still there as well? The lane was the old road to Pyle before they put the M4 in. 51.514939, -3.667374

mandrake
03-10-2011, 09:12
car park at ogmore by sea ,is realy a no no .the other car park just after the water works is another you stand a chance of getting shifted from . opposit that car park is a road ,climes up the hill to i beleve notton .100 yds up there is a levelish area on the right .we used that many a time . .if you want a decent night stop there is the science park a lay by there we used quite a lot if you want you can overnight in the leasure center car park in bridgend for a night , thats another spot we have used a few times . can get a bit noisy as the fire station is opposit if they get a shout . as for lantwit that car park is used but i have never stayed ,but i know some that do . now then porth cawl if you go there there a lots of vans park during the day have a talk to them they know all the spots in that area ,you cannot park on the road .we call it the wall ,but there is a road behind the cony beach amusements ,its a private car park but that allows overnight .that can get a bit full of vans . rest bay car park i have heared gets used but can get the boy racers .there are many pull offs round the stormy old air field .on the road from bridgend to ward pyle there is a lay by on the right set back from the road .that can get a few iffis in ,but i have noticed a transit camper uses it regular lateley .

kangooroo
03-10-2011, 09:53
I haven't been to this bit of the welsh coast for sometime but what about Nash Point or Lantwit Major beach carparks?
john

I would strongly advise avoiding Nash Point. I had problems there a couple of years ago and, having found myself trapped by thugs, learned a valuable wilding lesson - never choose a wilding spot with only one access route which can be blocked. I had to call the police and they acknowledged it was now a trouble spot.

mandrake
03-10-2011, 13:39
never stayed at nash point as it has a bad name with the locals with vans so i was told .

Canalsman
03-10-2011, 23:19
I went to the Beach Road car park this weekend and there was a big sign informing you that this land is private property. Other signs also say that overnight parking is not permitted.

Overnight camping where there are signs saying not to is fair enough, you take your chances. but if this really is private land, then I think it's a bit out of order.

Can anyone clarify this? I can't believe this site would condone parking on private property without permission.

MattLG

We certainly do not condone parking on private land without permission, or encourage it where there are signs explicitly prohibiting overnight parking.

The Beach Road car park listing is based on information from more than a year ago. Please confirm that it is Beach Road in Porthcawl seen here 51.47924, -3.67590 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/y5yfqey) and I will remove it.

Many thanks

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS