PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Lay-bys in Cornwall

John Thompson
28-08-2010, 21:10
Parking in Lay-bys in Cornwall

BBC News - Free camper van parking in Cornwall reviewed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/10535003.stm)

Its people like this guy that spoilt it for the rest of us.

John

Bernard Jones
28-08-2010, 22:41
Just at the end of that lay by there is a cornwall council car park, but like the rest of them it has a notice prohibiting overnight sleeping - even though it is always empty at night. The problem is that there are so few places left in Cornwall where overnight sleeping is still allowed that the few places left are bound to become overloaded. It has become a vicious circle. The more places that ban overnight sleeping, the more it overloads the other places, so they ban overnight sleeping too.
(Not that I would want to park overnight in that layby with 60+mph traffic passing right alongside and completely exposed to the full force of the wind.)

John Thompson
29-08-2010, 08:17
Just at the end of that lay by there is a cornwall council car park, but like the rest of them it has a notice prohibiting overnight sleeping - even though it is always empty at night. The problem is that there are so few places left in Cornwall where overnight sleeping is still allowed that the few places left are bound to become overloaded. It has become a vicious circle. The more places that ban overnight sleeping, the more it overloads the other places, so they ban overnight sleeping too.
(Not that I would want to park overnight in that layby with 60+mph traffic passing right alongside and completely exposed to the full force of the wind.)

Its not the overnighter that is the problem it is those who treat the place as a free campsite.

Cornwall councillor Sue Nicholas said:

it's not a problem if it's just for one night, if they've travelled and need a rest."

resident Claude Smith said

"I counted 16 camper vans here on Sunday, when there's a camper van site just over there crying out for people to go and park."
I wonder why this is? Could it be the price being charged?

This guy is spoiling it for the rest of us.

Ted Vallis, 82, from Bristol said he parks for a fortnight every year along the sea wall.

He said: "I've been here for a fortnight, and I've got the sea front, and can see straight down into the water."

Mr Vallis said he would continue to take advantage of the free parking until it became illegal.

Then there is the abuse of the Car Parks at Dawlish Warren and Teighnmouth that has caused the council to withdraw the facilities they offered there. Again people were flouting the 2 night permitted stay or not sticking with the rules.

No wonder Wild Camping is getting a reputation for being a load of freeloaders.

John

vwalan
29-08-2010, 09:45
its not really a problem to stop one night in most places in cornwall . newquay is about the only place you will get grief. they knock you up regularly. but if you have a night here and another onev there it is ok. its only the ones like in the article that stay for ever .put out tables chairs washing day after day. there is a better layby up the road from marazion thats better suited to stopping over night . it is now used like a campsite with caravans and tents put up. its a shame as discreet stop overs get spoilt. but dont be put off cornwall is still a land of free . but taking the piss is fround upon. just move a few miles inland at nihght you will be made welcome. the signs are to frighten . most have no value. one night move on . you were tired unsafe to drive . but slowly move on. works for me. cheers alan.i live here as well so see both sides.

Tbear
29-08-2010, 10:23
We are not freeloaders as I normally stay on sites and spend money locally when we stop but after driving for a couple of hundred miles I sometimes need sleep. It is not always easy to find a site open with space in the evening. To drive when overly tired is just as dangerous as drink driving. Arrogant Idiots like this put us in an imposable position.

Bernard Jones
03-09-2010, 11:23
No wonder Wild Camping is getting a reputation for being a load of freeloaders.

John

Its not freeloading when you pay your road tax which gives you the same right to use a public lay by as eveyone else. Its not freeloading when you are prepared to pay over and above your road tax to use a car park, but the council bans overnight sleeping in the car park, weight size restrictions etc etc (like to see them prove someone was asleep :rolleyes:)

So the only place I can legally park my van on the street. Not a problem for me then. It just causes the local Victor Meldrew neighbourhood watch character to think the unknown parked van is out on a burglary and call out the police :D

More parking regulations are the problem, not the solution. Let camper vans park where they like (within reason) then they will be so thinly spread out as to be no problem to anybody. The more car parks that restrict them, the more they will overload places where there are no restrictions.

Typically the streets clogged with vehicles because parking is free, and the car parks empty because of all the charges and restrictions.

librarylife
03-09-2010, 18:10
I have driven all over europe in a ridiculous converted library bus and never had as much hassle as i have in england.

It seems that on the continent it is much more accepted that this is something people do and is moreover appreciated as it brings revenue into out of the way places that might not get tourism any other way. Once in La Rochelle (right in the middle of the city i was stopped by the police and much to my delight not told i could not park there but instead guided to a marina where i was told it was fine to stay for up to a week and then encouraged to enjoy the city!

I am British I love this country but for the life of me i can't understand why we take such a negative approach to people getting out and about to enjoy the life outdoors. Yes some people are anti social and will be a nuisance but it is rare and this behavior pervades all types of holiday making free or not. i prefer to think that most people indulging in this kind of self sufficient holiday are the types that appreciate the countryside and are actually looking for a bit of peace and quite

I have a suspicion that its more about making money out of people (by herding them onto campsites, that are often badly provisioned compared to the continental ones) than it is about real measurable problems.

Cornwall is one of the best examples of an over restricted area. In the holiday season it is ridiculously expensive to go anywhere in this beautiful county ( I was once asked for 10 per person to stay one night in my own van supplying my own electricity and with my own washing facilities, had the price been reasonable i would have paid.) I live in cornwall its a lovely place but come holiday time i would rather get in my van and head for somewhere that its possible to enjoy beauty without feeling like your being pick pocketed every where you go.

If you make it easy and accessible for people to travel they will and when they do they will spend money. simples

Head to Galicia and see for your self.

grath
03-09-2010, 18:14
I agree.
You mention Galicia, fantastic place, been there a few times and it is the real Spain:cool: with few Brits:cool::)

The trouble with Britain is that we can't do this we can't do that, we are too political correct for our own good,:o and don't even think of health and safety. :(Kids can't even play conkers in school playgrounds.:o Talk about Nanny state,:o ever wonder the Europeans laugh at us:o

librarylife
03-09-2010, 18:35
Its the truth G.

Its as if we are programmed to think that if people are allowed a little bit of freedom it will all go wrong. Its ironic that by over controlling we actually create the problem. a negative approach will cause a negative reaction.

My advice is stay positive, ignore the signs, be polite and if you are asked to move explain that you will only be there for a night then offer them a cuppa.

Seriously though in reality you cannot force someone to move immediatly It takes a lot of money to evict someone and your gonna be gone in the morning anyway. I would say however that if there are already too many people in a park up i will move on and find somewhere else.

its not a problem unless we make it one.

(Ps for some reason you get much less bother if you stick a surfboard on your roof. its as if its alright if your there for a reason but god save us if people just want to relax.)

grath
03-09-2010, 18:56
I have never ever been asked to move on and I hope that I never am.
It is all about thinking where you are going to park and showing consideration to the local community:)

Tbear
04-09-2010, 07:23
I have never ever been asked to move on and I hope that I never am.
It is all about thinking where you are going to park and showing consideration to the local community:)
Graph,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. In Peterborough we have had lots of problems with large groups of "travelers" turning up and camping on playing fields and children's play areas, leaving all sorts of mess behind. Now if anyone spots a van they think its an advance party for the next invasion. Unfortunately its difficult to tell the good from the bad until its too late and people only remember the bad. Therefore we are all presumed bad.

campervanannie
01-02-2014, 11:48
After 25+ years of wild camping we found that if you are quiet and discrete and don't put out tables chairs etc your OK but if you do get a jobsworth bobby who comes a calling I apologise for the inconvenience we are causing him and tell him my other half is the driver and has a very bad migraine he has taken the tablets and we will move as soon as we are able. worked on the two occasions that we have had to tell a little pork pie

donkey too
01-02-2014, 11:57
Its not freeloading when you pay your road tax which gives you the same right to use a public lay by as eveyone else. Its not freeloading when you are prepared to pay over and above your road tax to use a car park, but the council bans overnight sleeping in the car park, weight size restrictions etc etc (like to see them prove someone was asleep :rolleyes:)

So the only place I can legally park my van on the street. Not a problem for me then. It just causes the local Victor Meldrew neighbourhood watch character to think the unknown parked van is out on a burglary and call out the police :D

More parking regulations are the problem, not the solution. Let camper vans park where they like (within reason) then they will be so thinly spread out as to be no problem to anybody. The more car parks that restrict them, the more they will overload places where there are no restrictions.

Typically the streets clogged with vehicles because parking is free, and the car parks empty because of all the charges and restrictions.

I know where you are coming from here but I must tell you that your road tax does NOT cover most laybys. They are not part of the road. they are in fact private property owned by the local county council. well where I live and served as a councillor for years, it is anyway.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS