PDA

View Full Version : proper wild camping in somerset

manicmerc
31-08-2010, 14:24
I have a very good knowledge of some superb free camping for motorhomes in somerset, here are a couple off the beaten track.

1. From langport, take the bridgewater road to Othery, at a village called Aller, turn left dirctly in front of the Pound Inn, follow this road, then single track for one and a half miles, staying on original road, do not be tempted to turn off. On the left just before a bridge, you will find a lovely gravel car park, where you can stay for as long as you like, very peacful, very quiet, only the odd car goes by and only a couple of locals walking dogs, also ideal spot for some fishing, in the river next to it, or the drain across the road.

2. ham hill country park.

From the A303 west or east bound, 1st exit after cartgate roundabout, or 1st exit before, signposted Stoke-sub-hamdon, follow road into stoke as far as you can go, turn left at t-junction, then 50 yards turn 1st right, follow untill you reach the top of a very steep hill, past the pull in on the right, then a further 100 yards a big gravel car park on the right, stunning views over the southern parts of somerset, views across to the mendip hills, and the quantock hills and the blackdown hills.

you can park up free of charge for a maximum of three nights, the park wardens will ask you to leave if you abuse this. toilets are found in the car park next to the wardens office over the road, and water can be had from the tap outside the wardens office

I will post some more next time i visit the site

caspar
31-08-2010, 17:46
POI's for above are:
1. 51.069008, -2.884411

2. Either 50.945421, -2.743728 or slightly further down road (30 metres or so)
50.944728, -2.741320

shannon
05-04-2011, 18:57
Thanks to manicmerc for this info am going down that way this weekend fancy the ham hill country park will give it a whirl and let you all know thanks again Shannon

peanut
30-04-2011, 23:51
two excellent suggestions. Ham Hill is just down the road to us and is a large hill top quarry and site of an old Roman Fort. Great place to walk dogs and large area to explore . Used to be quite a good food pub there too.

The Aller site is also excellent. Coincidentally we found a good one yesterday at Burrowbridge a few miles away from Aller

carolinemoon
31-05-2011, 08:45
I've just found this site,,,it's brilliant! I see this was posted last year, is it still ok to camp overnight at Ham Hill?, I'm thinking of giving it a go this weekend. Any other info about it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a very good knowledge of some superb free camping for motorhomes in somerset, here are a couple off the beaten track.

1. From langport, take the bridgewater road to Othery, at a village called Aller, turn left dirctly in front of the Pound Inn, follow this road, then single track for one and a half miles, staying on original road, do not be tempted to turn off. On the left just before a bridge, you will find a lovely gravel car park, where you can stay for as long as you like, very peacful, very quiet, only the odd car goes by and only a couple of locals walking dogs, also ideal spot for some fishing, in the river next to it, or the drain across the road.

2. ham hill country park.

From the A303 west or east bound, 1st exit after cartgate roundabout, or 1st exit before, signposted Stoke-sub-hamdon, follow road into stoke as far as you can go, turn left at t-junction, then 50 yards turn 1st right, follow untill you reach the top of a very steep hill, past the pull in on the right, then a further 100 yards a big gravel car park on the right, stunning views over the southern parts of somerset, views across to the mendip hills, and the quantock hills and the blackdown hills.

you can park up free of charge for a maximum of three nights, the park wardens will ask you to leave if you abuse this. toilets are found in the car park next to the wardens office over the road, and water can be had from the tap outside the wardens office

I will post some more next time i visit the site

peanut
31-05-2011, 09:06
Hi and welcome.
Ham Hill is just down the road to us and is a smashing place to camp. The views from the car park areas are amazing and there is a food pub and a small visitor centre with basic facilities too.
You could contact the rangers office on site and ask them but its such a large area with multiple secluded car parking areas I doubt anyone would find you anyway.I think the official view might be no overnight camping but I understand that they 'turn a blind eye' providing you don't stay more than a couple of nights and don't make a mess, leave rubbish and keep dogs under control etc
Have a great stay.
Ham Hill Country Park - Country/Royal Park in Stoke sub Hamdon, South Somerset - Visit Somerset (http://www.visitsomerset.co.uk/site/things-to-do/visitor-attractions/ham-hill-country-park-p133483)

carolinemoon
31-05-2011, 09:22
Thanks for that. I can't wait to give it a try. We're only in Bridgwater so it's not too far (hubby doesn't get home from work til lunch time on Sat & have to be back Sunday evening), I'm pretty sure we've passed the sign for it when we're on our way to West Bexington (it's just off the dual carriage way) Let's hope that like minded people like us (responsible wild campers) continue to use the area, and it not be ruined by those that make noise, leave rubbish etc! Thanks again, and roll on Saturday!

carolinemoon
05-06-2011, 18:41
Thank you for the recommendation....just had a fantastic weekend at Ham Hill, the views where we parked up were beautiful, the area was silent (apart from the birds!) and the pub sells a good pint of Thatchers! PERFECT

lightship
10-10-2011, 19:59
Just an update on Aller Drove - good tip, thanks - Had a super one night park up in my wee Trafic last week in mild October weather. Dog walkers and farmer feeding cattle in the morning, but otherwise all quiet. Lovely tranquil spot. Swans gliding and cattle munching. Almost bleak aspect across the levels/moors - but I like that :)

carolinemoon
31-10-2011, 11:07
Thank you for the recommendation....just had a fantastic weekend at Ham Hill, the views where we parked up were beautiful, the area was silent (apart from the birds!) and the pub sells a good pint of Thatchers! PERFECT

billi
09-01-2012, 13:08
we want to go to somerset,but we dont know where to go.is aller drove and ham hill still ok to use.wud be nice if 1 of them was near a pub,as i want to try some local cider.thanks-billi

carolinemoon
09-01-2012, 15:37
As far as I know it's still fine to park up at Ham Hill. We last went in the summer but are planning on going back. There is a pub up there too, The Prince of Wales I think...they do a lovely pint of Thatchers Gold cider...also Old Rosie if you like the "proper" stuff! Enjoy :tongue:

http://www.visitsomerset.co.uk/things-to-do/visitor-attractions/ham-hill-country-park-p133483

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS