PDA

View Full Version : Our trip to Peak District

wildwannabes
04-09-2010, 10:08
Just wanted to say thanks for the POI's for our SatNav. They worked out perfectly!

We stayed at Monsal Head (behind the pub), Mam Tor (Castleton), Curbar and Matlock. It was really nice to have the knowledge about car parks before setting off and took the worry out of traveling with not very much pre-planning.

We also used the POI's to find nice places to stop for picnics, such as Cromford.

This trip has to be one of the cheapest holidays we have ever had! Brilliant.

If anyone is thinking of going to Bakewell, you MUST try a Bakewell Pudding! OMG they are AMAZING!

Just FYI - The Duke William in Matlock was a nice campsite but they charge 4 per person per night.

I will try an attach some photos..wish me luck!

PS...we are no longer Wild Camping Wannabes....We ARE wild campers!! Yay!

robert b
04-09-2010, 15:44
we went to millers dale in feb and walked up to monsal head scenery is fantastic we walked along the old monsal head line.

march27
06-09-2010, 13:53
We were up there yesterday and there was a clear No camping sign at the front of the carpark. Has anyone been stopped camping there? Was going to use this place for quick one nighters over the autumn months as we love the area.

wildwannabes
08-09-2010, 21:13
We mut have missed that sign unless its new...which car park are you referring to?
We ceratainly didnt get moved on, we payed for overnighting in Monsal Head and also at Mam Tor and we had the place to ourselves.

It may explain why we had such a 'cool' reception from some walkers in the morning!:eek:

caspar
13-09-2010, 13:18
There's two car parks, one you can stay in and one you can't! Stay in the one behind the Monsal Head Hotel!

Canalsman
13-09-2010, 22:01
There's two car parks, one you can stay in and one you can't! Stay in the one behind the Monsal Head Hotel!

Looking at Streetview, there's a big NO CAMPING sign at the entrance to the car park behind the Hotel ...

caspar
14-09-2010, 09:16
Looking at Streetview, there's a big NO CAMPING sign at the entrance to the car park behind the Hotel ...

Whatever the sign says, unless its gone up in the past 8 days there was an overnight charge specified on the parking meter. I have a contact in the Staffordshire Moorlands and High Peak District Councils so will find out a definitive answer and post the outcome - may take a few days, but at least we'll know then. Also I know the owner of the hotel so I can phone and ask his views!

Most visitors use the "viewpoint" car park for want of a better term where the ice cream van is and which looks right down the dale. Longer term stayers (those doing really big walks, mountain bikers etc.... tend to use the one behind the hotel.

I'll post when I get a reply from the relevant council - the Peak District is funny as many of its car parks fall under Staffordshire Moorlands.

Hope this helps!

Canalsman
14-09-2010, 18:15
Whatever the sign says, unless its gone up in the past 8 days there was an overnight charge specified on the parking meter. I have a contact in the Staffordshire Moorlands and High Peak District Councils so will find out a definitive answer and post the outcome - may take a few days, but at least we'll know then. Also I know the owner of the hotel so I can phone and ask his views!

Most visitors use the "viewpoint" car park for want of a better term where the ice cream van is and which looks right down the dale. Longer term stayers (those doing really big walks, mountain bikers etc.... tend to use the one behind the hotel.

I'll post when I get a reply from the relevant council - the Peak District is funny as many of its car parks fall under Staffordshire Moorlands.

Hope this helps!

Yes indeed - a definitive answer would be good.

caspar
15-09-2010, 08:46
Yes indeed - a definitive answer would be good.

Right! I've phoned Derbyshire Dales District Council this morning who control both the car parks at Monsal Head. If anyone wants to check this information for themselves phone 01629 761100 and ask for either Ginette Newton or Ben.

It is slightly confusing in that you are allowed to park your motorhome in the car park behind the hotel overnight BUT you are not allowed to stay in it, hence the No Camping sign.

Effectively this means an old and well used wild camping spot is no longer available. I was assured over the phone that they are enforcing this at least 3 times a week!

They went on to say the same applies to the other car park there as well.

What a shame!

Hope this helps resolve the issue - there's still loads of places to stay free near there that I know from living there a long time ago and visiting family there on a regular basis. If anyone on here is local, perhaps you'd be kind enough to list a few places for us with co-ordinates so Canalsman can add them to the database.

AndyC
15-09-2010, 09:22
It's very common to have TROs (Traffic Regulation Orders) which include a ban on camping, sleeping, cooking, eating, etc... in car parks.

The matter of enforcement is a different matter, I have recently be trying, without success so far, to find out whether regulations which are not displayed on car park signs are actually enforceable.

The ban on sleeping is in fact a very difficult one to enforce, I believe the onus would be on the local authority to prove that you were actually asleep at the time.

AndyC

caspar
15-09-2010, 12:28
It's very common to have TROs (Traffic Regulation Orders) which include a ban on camping, sleeping, cooking, eating, etc... in car parks.

The matter of enforcement is a different matter, I have recently be trying, without success so far, to find out whether regulations which are not displayed on car park signs are actually enforceable.

The ban on sleeping is in fact a very difficult one to enforce, I believe the onus would be on the local authority to prove that you were actually asleep at the time.

AndyC

That's a REALLY interesting point Andy. I'll be very interested to see where you get with that one. After all, the law of this country is quite clearly innocent until proven guilty. Curtains being shut is not proof that the people inside are asleep, nor is knocking on the door as you may not be in the motorhome. A very interesting point of law - please post and let us know what happens.

grath
15-09-2010, 12:43
What's the point in going there if you can't sit inside relaxing, eating & drinking as you would like.:confused:
No point at all if you have to hide away:eek:

AndyC
15-09-2010, 16:06
This is getting a bit OT for the Derbyshire section, I'll repost my TRO message in the General Chat section.

AndyC

Canalsman
15-09-2010, 21:39
Thanks for finding out, Caspar ...

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS