PDA

View Full Version : Brecon Beacons & mid Wales.

Nolly
04-09-2010, 18:13
Hi, here are a selection of pics showing some of the spots we stayed at on our visit to Wales.
We spent over three weeks touring this beautiful countryside and not once using a campsite.

Keepers pond. Great views and reasonably quiet at night. Its refreshing to see how a redundant industrial area can be rejuvenated into a popular touristic retreat.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2460.jpg

A beautiful evening with a view of the highest peak in south wales, BBQ (cobb) sizzling away and Jan is just fetching the cook a cold beer. "Perfik"

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2604.jpg

Next day and walking off that BBQ. You can just see the mh parked up below. No I didn't reach the top but what a view.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2615.jpg

Car park in the village of Ystradfellt. Ideal stopover for visiting the waterfalls.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2500.jpg

Picnic area alongside one of the reservoirs on the A470
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2532.jpg

Elan Valley. What views! We spent the night near the dam on the Craig-Coch reservoir.
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2670.jpg
We were treated to this glorious sunset, view from the dam.
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2673.jpg

Usk Reservoir one of the only times we had the pleasure of company. Obviously a popular spot.
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2641.jpg

Another night where we could'nt resist the views, this time from the Claerwen reservoir dam.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2699.jpg
[I] At the Clywedog reservoir. Sadly this was the last night of our memerable holiday in Wales. .

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2728-1.jpg

AdriaTwin
04-09-2010, 18:24
Thanks for inspiring us - do you have any coordinates for the locations or are they all on Canalsmans database ?

Nolly
04-09-2010, 20:43
Thanks for inspiring us - do you have any coordinates for the locations or are they all on Canalsmans database ?

Hi, lots of places we stopped at are on the database, ( thanks for that canalsman). Some spots we took a chance, the photo's that I have posted all have locations with them such as the Usk reservoir and I'm thinking that Canalsman will check them out and decide if to include them in the database.
The Elan Valley estate I believe may be a little sensitive when it comes to wild camping. We asked about and risked it, with no problems and I'm sure the odd motorhome could have the same result. I am now looking at all the other places we stopped and felt comfortable with which are not on the database so as they can be included if Canalsman agrees.

Regards Nolly.

Canalsman
04-09-2010, 23:02
Thanks Nolly :)

I have added Craig Goch, Ystradfellte and Usk Reservoir into the POI database.

I have been unable to identify the A140 location - I think the road number is wrong, and there's insufficient information to help me work out where it is ...

The other places are already in the database ...

Regards

Chris

coolasluck
04-09-2010, 23:09
Thanks Nolly,we are off to the beacons in october weather permitting, so thanks for the inspiring photos:)
Just come back from East Anglia,just too much to do in a week,now i need a holiday to get over the trip:D

Nolly
05-09-2010, 11:49
Thanks Nolly :)

I have added Craig Goch, Ystradfellte and Usk Reservoir into the POI database.

I have been unable to identify the A140 location - I think the road number is wrong, and there's insufficient information to help me work out where it is ...

The other places are already in the database ...

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris.
Sorry about that:o It's the A470 by the Llwyn-on reservoir which I believe is already in the database:confused: I've made the changes to save any confusion

Here are a couple more pics, this time around Pontsticill

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2557.jpg

View of Pontsticill reservoir from car park.

Now how did he say this works?
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab116/polly19692009/DSCF2556-1.jpg

Canalsman
05-09-2010, 16:35
Nolly

I have added 7 new spots around the Llwyn-on and Pontsticill reservoirs.

Many thanks.

Chris

Nolly
05-09-2010, 20:19
Thanks Nolly,we are off to the beacons in october weather permitting, so thanks for the inspiring photos:)
Just come back from East Anglia,just too much to do in a week,now i need a holiday to get over the trip:D

Hi Coolasluck.
We did it the other way about, finishing up in East Anglia (Norfolk).
If you enjoy the Becons as much as we did you will have a great time.:) Know I keep going on about it but apart from the stunning scenery we found the Welsh people so friendly and helpful.:):)
Let us know how you get on.

Regards Nolly.

lisa01633
06-09-2010, 08:06
lovely pics nolly .. we have just come back from brecon some pics to refresh your memory if you stayed at the promonade car park:D

lisa and jamie

vwalan
06-09-2010, 08:39
great pics . there are definately some really nice places to visit and park in uk. shame we dont have winter weather like southern spain .there would be no need to get away then. i find wales very friendly and lots places to park . a great place .cheers alan.

Nolly
06-09-2010, 10:00
Nice pics Lisa & Jamie,:) brings back memories.:) Anyone else like to contribute & lets give Wales the promotion it deserves.
I'll go along with that Vwalan Great place,:) Warm & friendly people.:)

Will try and log on while we are away in the Jura, off to try a spot of fishing for a few days.:cool:

Regards Nolly.

suewells
19-09-2010, 22:40
Just got back from trip to Wales, stayed at Clywedog Reservior and Usk Reservior, only had one other van there we stayed but the views from the Clywedog Reservior are beautiful

AndyC
20-09-2010, 08:32
Things have obviously got better as far as stopping overnight in the Elan Valley goes. Last time we stayed, about 5 years ago, we were told in no uncertain terms by one of the Rangers that overnighting was not allowed anywhere on the Elan Estate. We had stayed in the car park below Claerwen Reservoir.

However the next day we were a bit cheeky and asked in the Visitor Centre if we could stay in their car park, just as they were closing up. They said that, as the Rangers had gone by then, no-one would mind, so we did :)

AndyC

AndyC
20-09-2010, 08:43
lovely pics nolly .. we have just come back from brecon some pics to refresh your memory if you stayed at the promonade car park:D

We've stayed there too, great spot! In the summer, if you go on past that car park for a few hundred yards, there is another part of the Promenade car park which has a large grass parking area. Much nicer than the tarmac car park. The grass parking area is only accessible between Easter and September and may be closed in wet weather I understand.

AndyC

caspar
20-09-2010, 09:03
Nolly

I have added 7 new spots around the Llwyn-on and Pontsticill reservoirs.

Many thanks.

Chris

Hi Chris,

These pictures are why I suggested to you a couple of months ago that you add the whole A470 from where the A40 crosses it at Brecon up to the A483 (?) which it turns in to to go up to Caernarfon, including that portion of the A483. There are literally hundreds of just these spots.

You replied saying you feel people can find their own laybys to stay in, but with places like these along the route surely it's worth a mention with a note saying just drive it - you'll find a beautiful spot.

As I said in the original e-mail I know its a massive chunk of road (literally covering South Wales right through to North Wales), but there are just so many places of beauty along the road as shown in these pictures that it seems a shame to me not to have it mentioned.

As always, it's entirely up to you, it's your database which you kindly spend hours on, but I'm just chipping in my opinion again - I'd love to see the road added to the database!

Cheers,

David

caspar
20-09-2010, 09:06
great pics . there are definately some really nice places to visit and park in uk. shame we dont have winter weather like southern spain .there would be no need to get away then. i find wales very friendly and lots places to park . a great place .cheers alan.

Hi aan,
Thanks for the call last night - it kept me up into the early hours!

As regards your post I wild camped in Snowdonia in snow in early June this year. The Beacons and Snowdonia can be guaranteed a good covering every year!

caspar
20-09-2010, 09:08
Things have obviously got better as far as stopping overnight in the Elan Valley goes. Last time we stayed, about 5 years ago, we were told in no uncertain terms by one of the Rangers that overnighting was not allowed anywhere on the Elan Estate. We had stayed in the car park below Claerwen Reservoir.

However the next day we were a bit cheeky and asked in the Visitor Centre if we could stay in their car park, just as they were closing up. They said that, as the Rangers had gone by then, no-one would mind, so we did :)

AndyC

Hi Andy,
It's a case in the Elan Valley of taking your chances. It's clearly marked that you shouldn't stay there, but in reality a lot of people do. All I would say, and I'm sure you're the last person this needs saying to, is be discrete, take away only memories and leave only footprints!

Canalsman
20-09-2010, 22:18
Hi Chris,

These pictures are why I suggested to you a couple of months ago that you add the whole A470 from where the A40 crosses it at Brecon up to the A483 (?) which it turns in to to go up to Caernarfon, including that portion of the A483. There are literally hundreds of just these spots.

You replied saying you feel people can find their own laybys to stay in, but with places like these along the route surely it's worth a mention with a note saying just drive it - you'll find a beautiful spot.

As I said in the original e-mail I know its a massive chunk of road (literally covering South Wales right through to North Wales), but there are just so many places of beauty along the road as shown in these pictures that it seems a shame to me not to have it mentioned.

As always, it's entirely up to you, it's your database which you kindly spend hours on, but I'm just chipping in my opinion again - I'd love to see the road added to the database!

Cheers,

David

Hi David

Undoubtedly it's a very scenic road with lots of scope for stopping overnight.

The Wildcamping Map & POI data really revolves around the 'POI' bit - 'point of interest'.

A road isn't a 'point' and the way that the information is recorded is on a point basis ...

Perhaps there are a number of people who know that route well that can pick out the best spots to stop. I will gladly add those into the database.

Regards

Chris

caspar
21-09-2010, 09:07
[QUOTE=Canalsman;113194]Hi David

Undoubtedly it's a very scenic road with lots of scope for stopping overnight.

The Wildcamping Map & POI data really revolves around the 'POI' bit - 'point of interest'.

A road isn't a 'point' and the way that the information is recorded is on a point basis ...

Perhaps there are a number of people who know that route well that can pick out the best spots to stop. I will gladly add those into the database.

Regards

I see where you're coming from, but if that's the case, what's the point in having the OR status for a road where there's lots of wild camping spots?

Don't want to make an issue of it - as you know I'm an avid supporter of your database and VERY grateful for the work you do.

Canalsman
21-09-2010, 19:10
I see where you're coming from, but if that's the case, what's the point in having the OR status for a road where there's lots of wild camping spots?

Don't want to make an issue of it - as you know I'm an avid supporter of your database and VERY grateful for the work you do.

Yes - it does say that in the readme file - but it shouldn't ...

That was written early on, and the short lengths of road that were designated thus have been replaced with specific POIs along those roads.

caspar
21-09-2010, 19:41
Yes - it does say that in the readme file - but it shouldn't ...

That was written early on, and the short lengths of road that were designated thus have been replaced with specific POIs along those roads.

Right! That's why I was confused. As you know I'm still newish to this site.

Keep up the good work - I've a load more coming your way soon!

Cheers,

David

Canalsman
21-09-2010, 21:31
... keep up the good work - I've a load more coming your way soon!

Cheers,

David

Thanks! Got to keep me gainfully occupied ;)

martyn
25-01-2012, 13:15
Best overnight in Brecon is the promenade, just follow the signs for it. It's right next to the river, toilets and very quiet (1 in 7 allowed, ticket machine not working at moment, so free parking for all !). Nice 5 min walk into town centre and please you just have to call into the 3 horse shoes pub situated just over the bridge on the way out of the town centre. Run by john, the oldest pub in Brecon and is a trully charming experience. Ask to read the visitors book. food is good and I hope you enjoy conversation because john does.
enjoy.
martyn

MORGANTHEMOON
25-01-2012, 14:12
Best overnight in Brecon is the promenade, just follow the signs for it. It's right next to the river, toilets and very quiet (1 in 7 allowed, ticket machine not working at moment, so free parking for all !). Nice 5 min walk into town centre and please you just have to call into the 3 horse shoes pub situated just over the bridge on the way out of the town centre. Run by john, the oldest pub in Brecon and is a trully charming experience. Ask to read the visitors book. food is good and I hope you enjoy conversation because john does.
enjoy.
martyn

As Martyn says you can stay 1 night in 7 but there are several car parks in Brecon that allow motorhomes so you can move to another if you want to stay longer. One of these car parks is near to the Brecon theatre. We booked to see Jethro and stayed the night after it was excellent.

If you want to move on Crickhowell also allows motorhomes in the car park to the left after you pass the tourist information. This is a great little village. I would recommend the Bear pub you may see the odd VIP there also the Bridgend pub has one of the best beer garden in Wales overlooking the weir and the old bridge. You could stay there for hours on a nice day. You could then continue to Abergavenny again allows motorhomes to overnight in the large car park near the rugby club. Large parking spots towards the rear of the car park.

Mothman
25-01-2012, 16:52
1st class photos there well done indeed, i love wales some fantastic spots around there,,, very inspiring,, roll on the spring,,

Mothman,,,,

landyrubbertramp
25-01-2012, 17:49
looks wonderful, great pics too ive never been but i def will now. :drive:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS