PDA

View Full Version : Whtby way

march27
06-09-2010, 14:36
Planning to head up that way weekending 9th October for a few days. Quite a few places mentioned on here already but many of them are quite old now. Anyone got any updates on places to stay in and around Whitby? Top of Blue Bank is a must for one night before heading down :eek: towards the coast.
Travelling up from Derbyshire, was wondering if theres anywhere around Pickering too for a stop off either going out or coming back. Thanks for any info.

suej
07-09-2010, 19:08
Travelling up from Derbyshire, was wondering if theres anywhere around Pickering too for a stop off either going out or coming back. Thanks for any info.

There are 3 large laybys set back from the road on the A169 between Malton and Pickering. The Hole of Horcum on the A169 between Pickering and Whitby has a carpark.. good spot for walking too. There's an antique shop on Southgate Pickering which is a motorhome stopover.. charges an extortionate 10 for 24hrs but has water and emptying point for kazi, I'm told. there are a few other places around, just ask if I can help you further.

Sue :)

Lidders
12-04-2011, 03:58
Stayed in the leisure centre car park north side, last week 5 for 24 hours
There was also a van round the corner in the Whale bone car park.

LIDDERS

nightstop
07-07-2011, 18:47
the stopover behind Pickering Antique Centre is right in the town within walking distance of North Yorkshire Moors Railway, shops, pubs and restaurants. Cheap when you can leave the motorhome all the next day to enjoy the town.

Dr B
15-07-2011, 09:19
Hi all, my first post on here :)

Anyone know if Whitby Abbey car park is still okay to camp in?
Few years ago I used to stop there (this is the "new" car park). You have to pay for overnight parking but it does not say no camping or no overnight stopping, and there used to be a few tents and a caravan or two every night.

Old_Arthur
15-07-2011, 09:59
welcome enjoy the site :wave:

p.s. how do you get the van up all them steps:rolleyes2::lol-053:

Dr B
15-07-2011, 10:27
Thanks Arthur!

Well, last time I went was in a 1974 VW Type 2 which was pretty good up hills (although not the steps :D).
The Talbot is a bit underpowered though. I'm dreading Blue Bank!

Old_Arthur
15-07-2011, 10:58
Thanks Arthur!

Well, last time I went was in a 1974 VW Type 2 which was pretty good up hills (although not the steps :D).
The Talbot is a bit underpowered though. I'm dreading Blue Bank!

that tests em just make sure you hit it in right gear and change down to keep your revs up get a long queue behind you to breath in all the black smoke :cry::lol-061::lol-061: i find the other hill worst just past fylingdale the one with the hairpin half way up,flat out in third on wrong side of road praying :drive::bow:

cazwood
15-07-2011, 20:52
Lythe bank is also fun on the way out of Sandsend - thought I was going to have to get out to push!

Old_Arthur
16-07-2011, 11:35
Lythe bank is also fun on the way out of Sandsend - thought I was going to have to get out to push!

only ever come down that one thank god never gone north that way

donkey too
16-07-2011, 11:59
only ever come down that one thank god never gone north that way

:D Remember when I had the old Bedford we had to reverse all the way up praying that a copper wouldn't come along. we had a load of people watching as the followed us, and they gave us a cheer at the top.
Now of coarse the Bongo will take anything in its stride with all four feet tugging.:wacko:

Lidders
23-07-2011, 11:27
The abbey now has no camping / sleeping signs up and lots of them! Well it did in May!

LIDDERS

elainekirk
26-03-2012, 21:39
We stopped on the poi labelled - LR Malton 1 - last night. And had a lovely quiet night like the 2 it is a layby set back from the road. When we arrived there was a hymer already parked up and when chatting ( and drinking their tea ) this morning I assumed they were forum members but nope they weren't', though they are now intending to join !!

Burtie
27-03-2012, 08:41
We left Scarborough front on year to head up to the
car park on blue bank we took what we toought was a short cut
through a village I'm sure it was little beck as we were looking on the map
I'm sure it brings you out just below the car park on blue bank
anyway on our travels through this village we came to the
steepest road I have ever seen around that part of Yorkshire
we only managed to make it halfway up then I could not move
I had to reverse all the way back down to the bottom then walk
back up and reverse my dads mh down so be cautious if you come across
this road

kenjones
27-03-2012, 10:36
We left Scarborough front on year to head up to the
car park on blue bank we took what we toought was a short cut
through a village I'm sure it was little beck as we were looking on the map
I'm sure it brings you out just below the car park on blue bank
anyway on our travels through this village we came to the
steepest road I have ever seen around that part of Yorkshire
we only managed to make it halfway up then I could not move
I had to reverse all the way back down to the bottom then walk
back up and reverse my dads mh down so be cautious if you come across
this road

You are correct. This road does come out on Blue Bank about half way between the 30mph sign and the top.
I have done it by car but it is a 1:3 gradient with narrow winding roads so not ideal for campers.
Were you following sat-nav directions?

Burtie
27-03-2012, 15:15
no we just looked on the map to see where it takes us to
and as we were heading back up to blue bank thought we would try it
this was in my highwayman and it only had a 2.0 litre engine
we ended up going all the way back round

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS