PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Lligwy Bay

caspar
13-09-2010, 13:32
Just a quick word of warning. Stayed here quite a few times over recent weeks and have discovered a scam going on where a man purporting to be the owner comes round to collect your 10 for staying. He turns out to be nothing to do with the owner and once paid disappears with your money leaving you potentially to be charged again. Ask for evidence of ID if in doubt!

baloothebear
13-09-2010, 17:41
Many thanks for the Heads Up

misty
13-09-2010, 19:17
Moch Mon !!!!!

MATS
01-06-2011, 17:05
I do not think Lligwy is now a good spot. Arrived Sunday 29 May and full of vans (9+), generators going - ahhhhhh. Cap it off owner of car park came round demanding 10 - but was he the owner - I think he was as it was 9:30am following morning and shop was open!! We moved on anyway (said we only arrived 8am) and ended up at Cemlyn Beach by Cemaes - bit further but worth every mile and view is superior with only 1 or 2 vans maybe. Although signs suggest no camping we had no problems. Seems though that Anglesey is getting to be a miss for wild camping - probably too many of us!

Canalsman
15-07-2011, 18:16
Just been to Lligwy and I can confirm the 10 charge :(

Didn't stop!

Much better to be brave and park at Llanddona for a much prettier and more peaceful place. Same facilities too - toilets, water, cafe :)

See separate thread (search for Llanddona) for full details.

caspar
15-07-2011, 22:21
But only if your motorhome will do very very steep hills! lol

caspar
16-07-2011, 12:09
Signs do not suggest No Camping. NEW SIGNS very clearly state no camping. If you read my posts I was forced to move on a few weeks back. The farmer is recording everyone's number plates and passing them to both police and National Trust - I have personally seen the list. The land is jointly owned (unusually) by LA and NT.

Honestly you were very lucky.

There are plenty of spots on Anglesey, but some of the prime ones are being spoiled by overuse.

I do not think Lligwy is now a good spot. Arrived Sunday 29 May and full of vans (9+), generators going - ahhhhhh. Cap it off owner of car park came round demanding 10 - but was he the owner - I think he was as it was 9:30am following morning and shop was open!! We moved on anyway (said we only arrived 8am) and ended up at Cemlyn Beach by Cemaes - bit further but worth every mile and view is superior with only 1 or 2 vans maybe. Although signs suggest no camping we had no problems. Seems though that Anglesey is getting to be a miss for wild camping - probably too many of us!

MATS
29-09-2011, 17:24
No problems last weekend - maybe the farmer was on Holiday?

Tony Lee
29-09-2011, 17:35
Guess if people are ignoring 'No Camping" signs, things are going to get even stricter.

fofeg101
29-09-2011, 19:50
I'm becoming increasingly self concious about wildcamping, I feel I'm being excluded from society like rapists, smokers and paedophiles.

Lligwy Beachbum
25-11-2011, 22:18
Hey guys, i'm Cheryl and I run the cafe and car-parks at Lligwy. Sorry to hear anyone got scammed, not good. We love to see you wild campers here... yes we do charge 10.00 overnight, yes we do get busy on lovely hot weekends - a lot of people have very good taste. One thing I don't think you know is what a struggle we've had with the authorities to allow wild camping to continue in any form at lligwy. We've been defending your rights. Wild camping has always been allowed at lligwy and long may it continue, but if the attitude of a few is to ignore signs and get disgruntled, then the majority may find it becomes harder and harder to find places to stay.

mustardseed
25-11-2011, 22:55
Hey guys, i'm Cheryl and I run the cafe and car-parks at Lligwy. Sorry to hear anyone got scammed, not good. We love to see you wild campers here... yes we do charge 10.00 overnight, yes we do get busy on lovely hot weekends - a lot of people have very good taste. One thing I don't think you know is what a struggle we've had with the authorities to allow wild camping to continue in any form at lligwy. We've been defending your rights. Wild camping has always been allowed at lligwy and long may it continue, but if the attitude of a few is to ignore signs and get disgruntled, then the majority may find it becomes harder and harder to find places to stay.

I've just looked this up and I'm wondering what exactly I would get for my 10 pounds if I came to stay? Apparently in the winter not even the use of a toilet! I'm struggling to follow your logic re the car parks getting busy on hot weekends: I'm sure they do, but can't believe they get more busy at night than they do in the daytime, when you only charge 2.50 to park all day.
I'm someone who is personally very happy to pay (reasonable) charges for parking, or reasonable additional charges for camping with access to any other facilities, but this charge seems quite disproportionate (car parks in Powys charge 5.00 overnight for a caravan, nothing in addition to the normal car park fees (which are often free during night hours) for campervans/ motorhomes, provide very nice staffed toilets with hot water during the day for 20p, and free toilets at night). The only places I would expect to pay a tenner simply for overnight parking are places like Central London, or Cornwall during the Eclipse!

Personally I also get pretty fed up (and this relates to campsites as well, although frankly I feel that your car park is effectively a campsite with very few facilities, rather than a place for "wild camping"), having only a small campervan that fits in a normal car parking space, travelling on my own virtually all of the time, and generating a tiny amount of waste as I recycle everything possible, of being expected to pay the same as a party of six or so who may have a huge tent or caravan, plus a huge car, and possibly gazebos or the like. They would, of course, where any of those facilities were provided, use six times as much electricity, water, waste disposal and rubbish disposal as one person on their own, and those with high tech outfits would use more electricity since they usually have more gadgets to consume the stuff with.

Bigpeetee
26-11-2011, 09:09

Cheryl, I'm sure you are lovely, but I agree with Mustardseed about the level of charging.

I too use the carparks in Powys for a nominal on zero charge.

I fail to see the difference between parking overnight or during the day. Surely if a nominal charge is made the facility will be used by more, reducing the opportunity for vandals to get up to mischief etc. If the toilet facilities are provided for 2.50 for a daytime stop, as far as I know, the cost of water doesn't increase overnight.

I'm glad that you've at least confronted the authorities with regard to Wild Camping, they don't on the whole understand the needs of the motorhomer or even that the needs of a motorhome is different to that of a caravan.

John H
26-11-2011, 09:25

Hi Cheryl - I like your attitude but I have to say that I agree with the others about pricing. Just to give you a couple of examples to put it in context:
1. I was recently in Mevagissey, where the overnight charge for motorhomes on the car park is 5
2. I am currently on a CL (small campsite) just outside Colchester (lovely city, by the way) and the charge is 8 including electric hook up - and there's a hot shower too!

As for your struggle with the authorities, have you asked them to define what they mean by wildcamping? In Spain, where I spend a lot of time, there has been a very successful campaign to distinguish between camping and parking (irrespective of whether you fall asleep in that parked vehicle). In the UK there is no law preventing you falling asleep in a vehicle but local authorities can pass by-laws (difficult to enforce because of national advice about tiredness and unsafe driving). Has your local authority passed such a by-law? If so, have they been asked what they would do if someone said he was too tired to safely drive on?

Bigpeetee
26-11-2011, 09:36
Does Wild Camping become an "Established Use" in planning terms?

John H
26-11-2011, 10:32
Does Wild Camping become an "Established Use" in planning terms?

An interesting argument but it might not help if we are claiming that we are parked, not camped. Parking in that area (which I do not personally know) seems to be long-established and it might be better to simply say that there is no difference between parking during the day for a few hours and parking during the hours of darkness for a few hours. I know we are a "wildcamping" site but the moment you start talking to the authorities in terms of camping it makes them feel more comfortable because they can point to rules against that - "parking" is more uncomfortable for them.

Tony Lee
26-11-2011, 10:43
Interesting concept - WILDCamping in a paid campsite.

How is that possible???????

John H
26-11-2011, 10:51
Interesting concept - WILDCamping in a paid campsite.

How is that possible???????

I think we're talking about a car park not a campsite - but it is a good point. If there is an official rate for parking overnight is that wilding? Not sure where it gets us but it could turn into a good debating point :D

Bigpeetee
26-11-2011, 11:46
Change the name to Wild Parking or Overnight Parking???

grath
26-11-2011, 12:01
Change the name to Wild Parking or Overnight Parking???

Hi Bigpeetee, is our favourite spot where your avatar photo was takes still OK to wild:confused:
Might be going soon if it is:dance:

Canalsman
26-11-2011, 13:51

I feel that 10 to stop overnight in a car park is way too much.

I visited during the summer during the day, and enjoyed some time spent on the beach, and felt that my parking fee was well spent.

I didn't use the toilet - a fellow motorhome owner said it was unpleasant in the extreme - and I don't in any case need toilet facilities when I have a clean and warm loo on board.

I moved on, and parked in a suitably remote and beautiful spot free of charge ... my preferred option.

I wish you well in adjusting the views of the local authority, but please consider a more reasonable overnight fee.

Bigpeetee
26-11-2011, 13:58
Hi Bigpeetee, is our favourite spot where your avatar photo was takes still OK to wild:confused:
Might be going soon if it is:dance:

Was earlier in the yr

grath
26-11-2011, 14:04
Was earlier in the yr

Thanks mate:wave::have fun:

just jane
26-11-2011, 14:39
An interesting argument but it might not help if we are claiming that we are parked, not camped. Parking in that area (which I do not personally know) seems to be long-established and it might be better to simply say that there is no difference between parking during the day for a few hours and parking during the hours of darkness for a few hours. I know we are a "wildcamping" site but the moment you start talking to the authorities in terms of camping it makes them feel more comfortable because they can point to rules against that - "parking" is more uncomfortable for them.

I think we're talking about a car park not a campsite - but it is a good point. If there is an official rate for parking overnight is that wilding? Not sure where it gets us but it could turn into a good debating point :D

The thing is we are not just talking about overnight parking, I have stayed at Lligwy once in the small carpark(the one without toilets)and was charged 10. There was a family of 5 staying in a caravan with a dog which was tied to the tow hitch all night and barked at every noise. Over at the other carpark when I walked across in the morning I was amazed to see about five vans and at least two groups of 3 or 4 cars with tents wind breaks and bbqs all set up in dunes at the edges of the carpark looking like they were staying all week.

I would not stay again because we were disturbed by boy racers who came and did doughnuts on the gravel late into the evening and then other teens using the beach to drink and bbq till very late.

I have family who live nearby and have heard of the battle they have had with the locals and council and am not really surprised because what I saw was not overnight parking and probably did take money from local campsites as well as disturb residents.

Pollik
26-11-2011, 15:14
For 10, I would expect facilities to be provided...water and waste disposal, at the very least, probably electric hookup also.

I won't pay 10.00 for car park, not in the foreseeable future.

This thread does highlight the different perpectives of wilding though. The difference between parking and camping does not seem to be realised in the UK. Approximately, if it is not possible to say with certainty that a motorhome is occupied (perhaps they are in a hotel for the night, or staying with friends), then it is parked. If you cannot tell the difference between occupied and unoccupied, then frankly the difference doesn't matter, at least in any rational argument.

However, in the UK we have no strong tradition of motorhomes and so some MHers will camp, rather than park...it was mentioned earlier in this thread...and that is arguably different from wilding.

So, for me, if (as has been stated), all day parking is 2.50, then 10.00 for all night parking is frankly taking the ... urine. If the owner(s) think that 10 pn is a good business model, then good luck to them...and I will go to France, where they recognise that motorhomers can inject into a local community and welcome them, rather than treating them either as idiots or pariahs. In September, we spent a week at an aire in Brittany, lakeside, clean toilets (cleaned daily), water, waste disposal, electric hookup...no charge. For my part, I did my shopping in the village and ate in its restaurants.

Vive la difference.

grath
26-11-2011, 16:39
For myself, I certainly would NOT be paying 10 to park overnight in any car park, no matter how good or where it was.
I would consider half of that amount if the view was worthy it, otherwise I would use a CL or CS with possibly some facilities.
However, we mainly camp in Euro mainland, wilding and using the Aire system where as mentioned above we are happy to contribute to the local economy. 15 weeks over there this year and very little on pay aire's
We also contribute to local economies in the UK when we feel that we are welcome to overnight free.
When I see that we are not welcome, I then DO NOT spend any money there,

caspar
26-11-2011, 17:33
Hi Cheryl,

Good to see you on here. I was with you a couple of weekends ago when you popped up to collect the fees from the three of us there. I was hoping you might open the shop so I could get a cup of hot chocolate or something, but you came and went. I know you have to make a living! I did feel a little exploited that at this time of year you pay the same as high season, and yet had no facilities at all. The toilets really are a shambles and have been for years. I remember them being built and that was a long time ago. I wonder what would happen if Environmental Health were to inspect them regularly?

I realise you can charge 10 as it is cheap compared to Rick, or the Hunts at Tyddyn Isaf, but some facilities would be good.

I'm aware of the ongoing battle with Llangefni, and I'm aware you can take the view if you don't want to pay the fee, don't stay here. However, there is little or no visible control, a total lack of facilities and even the beach is not half as nice as it was years ago with the mud problem. Maybe a gesture of seasonal pricing, updating the toilet facilities, showers (a good money earner), even portaloos in the other car park would help. What about an outside drinking water tap?

You have never been anything but lovely, but the business model is not a good one. I speak as someone who has been coming to Lligwy all year round for 50 odd years.

To give you an idea - the site up at Bodafon with lovely views over the bay and only 5 minutes dry away, has showers, toilets, a park, electric hook ups, good help and staff dealing with any problems - they charge 12 per night.

Those of us who know the area well enough can find wild camping spots within 10 minutes walking distance or less. You will be asking why I stayed then? Honest answer - I didn't think you'd still be charging. Given that you are, you should at least be opening the shop and making all summer facilities available.

Airecraft
27-11-2011, 15:45
...what I saw was not overnight parking and probably did take money from local campsites as well as disturb residents.

Disturbing residents is not acceptable and can be dealt with without a blanket ban on overnight parking but "taking money from local campsites"???

Are you taking from local newsagents if you listen to the news on the radio? Campsites are businesses which need to compete across their sector with hotels as well as with people who have invested up-front in self-contained vehicles which do not require the facilities campsites offer.
I've never heard a similar rationale applied to other visitors to an area: local authorities lay on picnic tables for people to eat their own food in public parks but I don't see restaurant owners campaigning against this - if they did they would be ridiculed and the only only reason I can see for campsite owners getting away with their protestations against overnight parking is that, as landowners, they are grossly over-represented on decision-making bodies.

just jane
27-11-2011, 15:50
Disturbing residents is not acceptable and can be dealt with without a blanket ban on overnight parking but "taking money from local campsites"???

Are you taking from local newsagents if you listen to the news on the radio? Campsites are businesses which need to compete across their sector with hotels as well as with people who have invested up-front in self-contained vehicles which do not require the facilities campsites offer.
I've never heard a similar rationale applied to other visitors to an area: local authorities lay on picnic tables for people to eat their own food in public parks but I don't see restaurant owners campaigning against this - if they did they would be ridiculed and the only only reason I can see for campsite owners getting away with their protestations against overnight parking is that, as landowners, they are grossly over-represented on decision-making bodies.

What I meant was the groups of tents which should perhaps have been on campsites and I think were not with motorhomes, they even had windbreaks and bbqs set up(looked like theyd been there a while).

mustardseed
27-11-2011, 18:38
What I meant was the groups of tents which should perhaps have been on campsites and I think were not with motorhomes, they even had windbreaks and bbqs set up(looked like theyd been there a while).

Personally I think this is a false distinction. If we support the right to wild camp we should support the right of those using tents just as much as those with motorhomes to do so, PROVIDING of course that neither constitute a nuisance to local residents, leave rubbish or do any of the other nasty things we as a forum oppose as we promote responsible and considerate wild camping. After all, many of those who are brave enough to sleep under canvas are being much easier on the planet than those of us with petrol/ diesel guzzlers ;-)

just jane
27-11-2011, 19:22
Personally I think this is a false distinction. If we support the right to wild camp we should support the right of those using tents just as much as those with motorhomes to do so, PROVIDING of course that neither constitute a nuisance to local residents, leave rubbish or do any of the other nasty things we as a forum oppose as we promote responsible and considerate wild camping. After all, many of those who are brave enough to sleep under canvas are being much easier on the planet than those of us with petrol/ diesel guzzlers ;-)

I agree with you, I wrote what I did because John H was trying to suggest using the parking/camping argument in discussions with the local authority which Lligwy Beachbum referred,(what I saw was definitely camping).

John H
28-11-2011, 15:01
I agree with you, I wrote what I did because John H was trying to suggest using the parking/camping argument in discussions with the local authority which Lligwy Beachbum referred,(what I saw was definitely camping).

As others have said, if people are abusing hospitality through noise, litter etc then there are other laws that can be used against them, without banning overnight parking. I raised the parking vs camping point because I believe, as motorhomers, our greatest chance of success in the overnighting debate is to go down this road - as they have successfully done in Spain. This does not mean I am against wildcamping in tents etc - far from it - but they have other pressure groups working for them and have met with success in Scotland. I think these are separate debates.

As for your earlier point about taking money away from campsites, I think a glance at some recent threads will demonstrate that there is little chance of a motorhomer who is turned off a wildcamp pulling into a local campsite! Further, if the charge is 10 without facilities, I would already be on a CL costing 7 or 8 including electric hook up and other services! So, in short, the charge (which is what most seem to be objecting to) has neither robbed local campsites of income, nor has it (from the story you tell) deterred people who are, shall we say, less than desirable neighbours.

just jane
28-11-2011, 15:53
As others have said, if people are abusing hospitality through noise, litter etc then there are other laws that can be used against them, without banning overnight parking. I raised the parking vs camping point because I believe, as motorhomers, our greatest chance of success in the overnighting debate is to go down this road - as they have successfully done in Spain. This does not mean I am against wildcamping in tents etc - far from it - but they have other pressure groups working for them and have met with success in Scotland. I think these are separate debates.

As for your earlier point about taking money away from campsites, I think a glance at some recent threads will demonstrate that there is little chance of a motorhomer who is turned off a wildcamp pulling into a local campsite! Further, if the charge is 10 without facilities, I would already be on a CL costing 7 or 8 including electric hook up and other services! So, in short, the charge (which is what most seem to be objecting to) has neither robbed local campsites of income, nor has it (from the story you tell) deterred people who are, shall we say, less than desirable neighbours.

I meant that Lligwy beach cannot use the parking/camping argument because they have allowed tents to camp there, and local campsites can then say that money has been taken away from their business. I think the battle they have had with the local authority is over allowing camping which as you say is a different issue.

I care not because as I said I have used the place once because it was convenient for me as I needed to visit elderly relatives nearby early the next day. I dont need to glance at any recent threads because Ive already read them and agree with them and you.

John H
28-11-2011, 16:09
I meant that Lligwy beach cannot use the parking/camping argument because they have allowed tents to camp there, and local campsites can then say that money has been taken away from their business. I think the battle they have had with the local authority is over allowing camping which as you say is a different issue.

I care not because as I said I have used the place once because it was convenient for me as I needed to visit elderly relatives nearby early the next day. I dont need to glance at any recent threads because Ive already read them and agree with them and you.

Sorry - misunderstood your point. Doesn't look good for us then.

cooljules
29-11-2011, 21:01

no way could i afford 10 quid a night, even if i could, i doubt i would. i prefer cheap or free parking places, and that 10quid would go on local business. i use a free (to me as i have a blue badge) but its only a couple of quid for everyone else, so each morning or whenever the nearest cafe gets trade from me, and who ever is else with me. in the evening a pub and even a chippy. so i might spend 15quid a night relaxing, if i had to pay 10quid up front.............well would never even consiodor stopping in the first place.

some places have loos open until 10, or 8pm in the winter, thats nice and are still free or only a couple of quid. but 10quid a night just to plonk my 4 weeks on a bit of gravel, i would rather ask a landlord can i park in his carpart as i will be in his pub drinking........

Eve
08-01-2012, 14:00
In Spain/Portugal the Authorities/Police usually define camping as having Awning,chairs, bbq leveling blocks etc out on display and may move you on the other hand if you are just park your van with nothing on display then most times they do not interfere and leave you in piece

kenspain
08-01-2012, 14:55
In Spain/Portugal the Authorities/Police usually define camping as having Awning,chairs, bbq leveling blocks etc out on display and may move you on the other hand if you are just park your van with nothing on display then most times they do not interfere and leave you in piece

I think this year in the summer you could find that could all change there has been a lot of talk and meetings with local Police and councils about how many Motor homes are parking up free and you could just get a call in the night to see if your sleeping in it. Now in some of the places we go signs have been put up that no sleeping allowed we found this out at 3,30 am today day when 4 vans got a call, Many campsites have been complaining about the money they are losing because of this, luckily at the moment this is only happening on the coast,

Mastodon
08-01-2012, 20:33
Allegedly a guy worked for 20 years in the carpark outside a zoo; 6 a car, 12 a coach- one day he didn't turn up and the zoo folks rang the council: "Car park attendant???? there isn't one - that car park is free..."

caspar
08-01-2012, 22:41
I think this year in the summer you could find that could all change there has been a lot of talk and meetings with local Police and councils about how many Motor homes are parking up free and you could just get a call in the night to see if your sleeping in it. Now in some of the places we go signs have been put up that no sleeping allowed we found this out at 3,30 am today day when 4 vans got a call, Many campsites have been complaining about the money they are losing because of this, luckily at the moment this is only happening on the coast,

Very difficult for them to prove this sleeping argument as has been pointed out many times before. If you answer, you're clearly not sleeping - if you don't answer you may not even be in the motorhome. Pyjamas and a night cap may be a giveaway!

Re Lligwy, camping in a motorhome is very clearly defined. There is a distinct difference between being parked and camping. I don't know what grounds Lligwy would have if you purchase an "All Day" ticket (presumably ending at midnight), but had no option to purchase a ticket from Midnight - 9am. When is night deemed to have started? I think the signs state after xpm free. I would have thought to enforce it they would need definitive times, but I think anyone being bloody minded could easily circumnavigate the charges to some extent.

At the end of the day, as with anything, I guess people vote with their feet (or wheels), and if people are prepared to stay there and be ripped off, that is their perogative. If others feel charges are excessive, don't stay there.

It is a great shame that such lovely people as the ones who run it can't see that certainly out of season they would almost certainly make far more money reducing the charge substantially, and in season make more by roviding better facilities.

deanjo
19-01-2012, 19:34

Did those who are brave enough to sleep under canvas get to their holiday destination by walking or using a push bike,or did they get there in a gas guzzling car or an even more gas guzzling plane? just a thought!

caspar
08-06-2012, 06:55
Didn't stay there myself, but was talking to some wild campers who did last weekend, and although the shop was closed, they still came and collected the money for overnighting.

As I know the people, I may try and raise this issue with them next time I'm there. I know they have their own ongoing issues, but providing some facilities may actually help their case. It is no longer a free spot anyway, so might as well try to persuade them to put facilities there for those that do pay.

StaffyGaz
09-07-2012, 18:41
We ad a similar thing at Cable Bay although it wasn't a tenner. After we had parked up (only for the day) an ice-cream van arrived and the driver put out parking signs on the entrance. The hard faced chap was charging unsuspecting ice-cream buyers a quid for parking and pulled anyone else passing on arrival.
We mentioned this to some traders from Anglsey at Pwhelli sea festival and they said as far as they were aware nobody owns those carparks other than the council.
Probably a word with the council if things like vehicle reg numbers are available.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS