PDA

View Full Version : South Downs

AndyC
14-09-2010, 18:46
We are heading to the South Downs area sometime in October, anyone have suggestions for wilding spots and motorhome friendly pubs?

Anyone know the current situation regarding overnighting at Devils Dyke and Firle Beacon?

AndyC

kamil
18-10-2010, 19:15
Hi, Firle Beacon is Ok, Devils Dyke as well. Great spot is parking place near Mill Hill near Shoreham, much better then Devils Dyke.

caspar
18-10-2010, 21:16
The South Downs covers a big area. I used to live in them near Portsmouth / Chichester ish. Which bit are you intending visiting? Can probably help if it's near my old stompong ground, but otherwise sadly not.

AndyC
18-10-2010, 21:57
Hi, Firle Beacon is Ok, Devils Dyke as well. Great spot is parking place near Mill Hill near Shoreham, much better then Devils Dyke.
Thanks for that - Mill Hill looks good :)

AndyC

AndyC
18-10-2010, 22:18
The South Downs covers a big area. I used to live in them near Portsmouth / Chichester ish. Which bit are you intending visiting? Can probably help if it's near my old stompong ground, but otherwise sadly not.

Sort of plan is to amble east from Chichester and see what happens :)

AndyC

caspar
18-10-2010, 22:50
You'll be heading away from the bit I know then! Sorry! I'm sure you'll find some lovely places though, it's a fantastic area.

widu13
19-10-2010, 18:19
Both Mill Hill and Devils Dyke are often used as dogging spots :o

AndyC
19-10-2010, 21:22
Both Mill Hill and Devils Dyke are often used as dogging spots :o
I'll keep the curtains closed then :)

AndyC

kamil
24-10-2010, 21:36
We go camping every weekend in Sussex, so I know so many good placess where to stay overnight. Just ask.

You can check our pics here helcakamil | seznam alb ? rajce.net (http://www.helcakamil.rajce.net)

Pixie Girl
09-05-2011, 16:22
Hi Kamil

I was very interested to read your post as we have just bought a van with the intention of enjoying wild spontaneous camping! I was wondering if I could pick your brains and ask if you have any recommended places to camp? Ideally forest/woodland or open space not too near a main road as we have a dog. Also somewhere we won't be asked to move on!! We live in Saltdean, Brighton, and I see you're in Brighton too so hopefully you will be able to help. Anywhere in East Sussex would be great to start with as we're just beginners!

Any advice you could offer would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

Zoe

Brighton Tim
09-05-2011, 21:45
I always used to park up at Preston Park, in Brighton but since they installed meters there too, the only place left is Stanmer park, as long as you follow the 'arrive late, leave early' ethos.

Still not found anywhere better than Arundel by the castle - long country road with toilets open from 8, shops for supplies and walks on your doorstep and no residents to annoy and the Rabbit pub half a mile away! Heard about this site from fellow wild camper there!

Like Zoe, would love to hear of more free places in Brighton.

Tim xx

Pixie Girl
10-05-2011, 14:51
Hi Brighton Tim...

I like your idea of Stanmer Park - that's even closer, although we'd quite like to plot up for longer than just nightfall.... do you think we'd get moved on if we arrived any earlier and stayed later?

Also, Arundel sounds like fun. I've looked up Mill Lane (and the pub of course)... What's it like up there....? Is there anywhere to park up that's a bit away from the road? (we have a dog you see..) Have you ever been moved on from there? And do you think it would be ok to have a small fire or BBQ?

Sorry so many questions but we're new to this and can't wait to get started!

Any advice (as well as other spots) would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Zoe
x

Apache Two
10-05-2011, 21:10
First Hi Tim this is apache two i belive you were parked behind me in arundel.

Hi Zoe
mill road has a carpark which you need to phone the number on the board and you are able to overnight next to the river. IF not parking in the road along side the castle should be ok for the dog. Road noise stops about 23.30 hrs.
will be back down there end of this month great walks and nice pubs.

Pixie Girl
11-05-2011, 18:01
Ah now that sounds perfect!!

Is it an official campsite or is it wild? And you say about phoning the number on the board... is this so somebody can let us in/take money etc? We will be turning up say mid afternoon... If we turn up around then will we get where we wanna be?

So excited now!!!

x

novice1968
12-05-2011, 16:04
Ah now that sounds perfect!!

Is it an official campsite or is it wild? And you say about phoning the number on the board... is this so somebody can let us in/take money etc? We will be turning up say mid afternoon... If we turn up around then will we get where we wanna be?

So excited now!!!

x

hi
overnighted last month at mill road where entrance to car park is located (not a campsite)
mill road I felt is much better place to park for the night right by the castle There is a pub right at the end of mill road which serves decent food. If you look at google map, you will have a good idea of how the area looks like and can make up your mind where to stay,
take care

Pixie Girl
13-05-2011, 13:15
Aw cheers for that. I'll put it on my list of places to visit in the next few weeks.

Cheers for your help! Gonna try Exceat/Friston Forest tomorrow night as it's close to home and will hopefully be ideal for our van's maiden voyage during our ownership! Then the world is our oyster!

Thanks everybody for your help!
x

Pixie Girl
31-05-2011, 14:06
I know it's a bit of a long shot but does anybody have any info on the telephone number for the car park? I assume it's the car park heading out of Arundel up Mill Road as opposed to the one right next to the castle, but I wanted to phone ahead if possible. I can't seem to get any answer from the Tourist Info number...

Vandweller1958
25-08-2011, 21:22
:(Bad news - NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs put up on Firle Beacon. Firle Estate policing site am and pm and taking vehicle reg numbers.

Canalsman
25-08-2011, 23:53
:(Bad news - NO OVERNIGHT PARKING signs put up on Firle Beacon. Firle Estate policing site am and pm and taking vehicle reg numbers.

And what do they plan to do with the registration numbers?

jonwhitley
31-08-2011, 16:48
Hello!!

First post after getting full membership, so be kind!

I've had my van a month or so and my partner and I are looking to start doing out first bit of wilding. We're thinking of heading over to the South Downs this weekend and were wondering if anyone had been to the spot near Devil's Dyke on Sadlescombe Road?

It's on the POI database... it seems a little more remote than the Devil's Dyke car park... and perhaps a little less dogging by the sounds of it. :s

Any thoughts appreciated!

jon

Rogerde
04-06-2012, 09:05
Greetings from Belgium. Haven't been here for some time.
I plan a trip to the South Downs for some walking and paragliding.

I read for the first time about ..... dogging .... and didn't believe my eyes when I googled for this word.

Does this mean that couples are looking for spectators when they perform their .... number ????

Well ... let them do it. I guess civilization is advancing further and further ...

But I am interested in how far this can disturb your sleep ?
Do they intentionally park close to your van ?? I couldn't believe that, but then I didn't believe the meaning of dogging neither.
And if they come close do they like load music ? I suppose the moaning should not awake me ...
And is there a lot of clapping the doors and starting engine etc ...

Just don't know what to expect ...
Maybe I can earn some pounds by installing myself on a chair close to the front window ... even willing to clean the window screen (with rubber gloves) if they pay enough. So that when I earned enough I can move to the North Pole ... far away from ... civilzation

Thanks on forehand for all advice

jonwhitley
06-06-2012, 17:53
That really made me laugh!

We did end up using that little car park just down the road from Devil's Dyke, and I must admit - there's a little funny business going on! Had quite a steady stream of traffic coming into the car park til the early hours - they seemed to come in, see us, and decide we weren't in the club, so to speak.

Very weird, but entirely harmless. Just didn't get a great night's sleep!

Jon

herbenny
06-06-2012, 18:03
That really made me laugh!

We did end up using that little car park just down the road from Devil's Dyke, and I must admit - there's a little funny business going on! Had quite a steady stream of traffic coming into the car park til the early hours - they seemed to come in, see us, and decide we weren't in the club, so to speak.

Very weird, but entirely harmless. Just didn't get a great night's sleep!

Jon

We live in the Sussex area and see lots of things like this going on ..........being naive as I am, I asked my hubby 'what was the man doing all suited and booted going into the woods' in the middle of the day ????..... I honestly didnt know:lol-053:

n brown
06-06-2012, 18:15
when i was about 17 me and a couple of mates were spending nights in an old car behind jack straws castle on hampstead heath.we couldn't work out first 2 or 3 nights why we were being hassled by the cops 3 or 4 times a night-until we started to realise that we only ever saw men arriving,and every single one of them wore a white polo neck,never wore a polo neck since. but i don't think they'll ever stop al fresco bonking and i hope they never do.

MORGANTHEMOON
06-06-2012, 18:30
when i was about 17 me and a couple of mates were spending nights in an old car behind jack straws castle on hampstead heath.we couldn't work out first 2 or 3 nights why we were being hassled by the cops 3 or 4 times a night-until we started to realise that we only ever saw men arriving,and every single one of them wore a white polo neck,never wore a polo neck since. but i don't think they'll ever stop al fresco bonking and i hope they never do.

What are you trying to tell us nbrown?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS