PDA

View Full Version : Aberystyth

grath
26-09-2010, 15:17
I have just returned from a few days wilding at Aberystwyth where I met the local council official Manager in charge of the Highways Department and I had what I thought may be quite a constructive chat with him regarding opening up an Aire type parking facility.
As some of you may know, Aberystwyth is quite Motorhome friendly and allows FOC overnight parking for Motorhomes along the promenade:cool:
There is a car park at the harbour end of the prom and within this car park are about half a dozen over size parking bays:cool:
This car park has a sign prohibiting overnight sleeping in any vehicle and any cooking, although you could park you Motorhome if you were not inside.
I suggested to the Highways Manager that these bays could become used for overnight Motorhome parking for a small charge. Safer than along the prom where boy racers can whiz by only a few inches from your pride and joy, and in a super location. The Highways Manager seemed quite interested and we chatted about how both the council would gain a little income and we Motorhomers would have a designated safe overnight parking area:cool:
He told me that I was the first Motorhomer that he had any direct conversation with and he did mention that he has seen posts on our forum.
I pointed out the benefits of our spending power in local shops, restaurants, etc and he was quite aware of this and appeared quite positive. I reiterated, that in these financial services cut back times any increase of income or new visitors to the town would be beneficial :confused:
Later that day, I also chatted to the Guy who was responsible for the day to day money collection from the machines, who also was the Guy on the ground and he told me that only the day before, he had recommended the very same thing, :cool: however he did say that one of his colleague's was against the idea.:(
Regarding the present FOC parking on the prom. I was also informed that sometime in the future a 4 hour time limit will most probably be coming into force, however I don't know how well that would be received by the local B & B and student population and also the shop workers that park there all day:confused: But if this is the case, we do really need this new overnight parking facility.
I also had a quick look at the parking on the other side of the harbour and there is a sign saying NO Caravans, but if you look at the definition of a Motorhome, it could be a motorcaravan, and it depends on the interpretation. Similar to housing estate restrictions. Food for thought:confused:
I just though I would pass on this information.

edit.
To the Highways Manager, if you read this post, thank you for your time and please give this some serious consideration. More visitors = more revenue for the local establishments. We motorhomers go to and spend where we are welcome.

caspar
26-09-2010, 17:32
Sounds like a really productive chat. Thank you both for taking the time on our behalf. It would be really good to see a more enlightened lead from Aberwystwyth as they are already motorhome friendly and someone needs to take the lead.

As regards the signs about caravans, as I understand it (and I'm VERY new to reading these regulations in any detail) the Traffic Signs Regulations and Directions 2002 state a motorhome has to be treated under category M1 -ie- a motor car with a special body. This technically means that unless it is stated in byelaws, there should be no discrimination between a motorhome and any other type of car.

I'll be interested to see if I'm shot down in flames over this one, but if I am, please could those doing it refer me to the relevant law and where I can find it as I'm aware I'm on a steep learning curve.

I'm sure the way forward is not arguing with councils over technicalities of European Law though, but working constructively together to try to bring about reform.

I was frustrated recently when after some very positive e-mails with a senior council member in England they simply turned round and siad, "we have no intentiontion of considering changing our current policy." It is this sort of bigotted response that causes ill feeling between "us" and "them" when it should just be us working together!

vwalan
26-09-2010, 17:53
good post casper i could have written that myself. . a caravan is definately not to be mixed with a m,home totally different rules for them. keep reading the info ,i like the wording it gets better every post ,ha ha . dont quite think this is mentioned in the magna carta issues though. keep up the good work , and you too grath thats the way . little by little keep moving forward .
cheers alan.

grath
26-09-2010, 18:14
Hi Casper.
There was a recent article in either MMM or Practical Motorhome where it stated that parking restrictions for caravans also include Motorcaravans.
It said something that the legal definition of a caravan is something like a mobile living accommodation and it makes no difference if it has an engine or not. This does not say that the magazine is correct as they do make mistakes;)
I believe that a covenant on a house which states no caravans will include motorhomes.:(
Sorry, I don't like it, but I think it is correct. Unfair as we pay road tax:mad:
Maybe someone with legal expertise can clarify.:confused:

AndyC
26-09-2010, 18:51
Hi Casper.
There was a recent article in either MMM or Practical Motorhome where it stated that parking restrictions for caravans also include Motorcaravans.
It said something that the legal definition of a caravan is something like a mobile living accommodation and it makes no difference if it has an engine or not. This does not say that the magazine is correct as they do make mistakes;)
I believe that a covenant on a house which states no caravans will include motorhomes.:(
Sorry, I don't like it, but I think it is correct. Unfair as we pay road tax:mad:
Maybe someone with legal expertise can clarify.:confused:
Whether 'caravans' are treated the same as motor caravans' will depend on the TRO (Traffic Regulation Orders - which are the regulations used by local authorities to regulate parking). It will usually be determined by the definition of 'caravan' within the TRO itself. It will often be along the lines of 'as defined in The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960' and that's the root cause of many of the difficulties because the term 'caravan' is defined in that Act in such a way as to include motor caravans.

I have to say that a lot of the TRO's that I've looked at don't mention caravans at all, the usual 'catch-all' to prevent motorhomes staying overnight is a ban on sleeping, cooking, eating, camping, etc. or else a restriction on vehicles over a certain ULW or GVW.

Incidentally Grath, did you get the name of the Highways Dept Manager? It sounds like it could be a lead worth following up.

AndyC

vwalan
26-09-2010, 19:01
its quite clear that a motor home is category mi . and is a variation of cat m thats a car . they canot class them different . it is a car. be it light or heavy. a local by law must be passed and you must have notification of the order in order to obey it. a caravan is not cat m or mi it is a caravan . not even a living van. and its rules are guided by totally different rules and laws. cheers alan.

grath
26-09-2010, 19:25
No, sorry I did not get his name:( I kicked myself a few minutes afterwards as I know that I should have as it could be useful.:(
The Guy on the ground did confirm that I had spoken to the Highways Manager, if that helps.

Trippytinker
27-09-2010, 12:42
I live in Ceredigion and unfortunately, along with Carmarthenshire they are slapping parking restrictions and charges everywhere. Most Ceredigion towns are 'Twinned' with towns in Brittany, Aber' is twinned with St - Brieuc which provides a splendid Aires so letters to the council & the Welsh Tourist board pointing out the towns shortcomings wouldn't go amiss

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS