PDA

View Full Version : Keswick overnighting

trish
02-10-2010, 20:06
Thinking about overnighting at Keswick rugby club car park. Will be arriving about 1am. Has anyone used this car park or has any info about wilding there.

ALLERDALECHEF
04-10-2010, 09:31
i dont know about overnighting at the rugby club , but a good place just a mile out of town is Portinscale bridge . Just been resurfaced , and there is a good footpath into town.

Canalsman
04-10-2010, 18:19
i dont know about overnighting at the rugby club , but a good place just a mile out of town is Portinscale bridge . Just been resurfaced , and there is a good footpath into town.

You will find Portinscale here 54.60461, -3.15580 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/24nquhz)

trish
05-10-2010, 20:28
Thanks very much for the info, thats really handy for us as we do love the area. Will definitely use it for our next trip.

churchie
07-10-2010, 15:28
We have stayed here in the past at weekends the local youths use the path so it is better to park nearer the main road end. This will avoid the little darlings banging on the side of your van as the walk back from Keswick to cross the footbridge.

Starblazer09
17-10-2010, 19:34
The club has an overflow car park down in the car corner of the club. Payment is 3.40 for 12 hours. Free parking between 7pm and 9am. So arrive Friday after 7pm and the weekend will cost you just 3.50. Unless you stay after 9am on Sunday in which case an additional 3.50. Still 7:00 against 40:00 in the campsite next door can't be bad.

wints
22-10-2010, 18:58
We've stayed at both locations many times. At the rugby club I went into the bar to ask permission to stay in the car park, they said no probs, would you like to contribute to the club funds. I donated a 1 coin.
Never had any probs with youths passing at the Portinscale bridge.
Another spot is on the road outside the C&CC site, but out of season only. Just look at the signs on the adjacent lamposts which indicate the season dates.

Allen

suej
22-10-2010, 20:35
We've parked overnight in the pay and display carpark near the theatre in Keswick and had no hassle. Mind you that was over a year ago and I don't know if they've since put 'no overnight parking' signs up, but there wasn't when we were there.
Sue:)

caspar
22-10-2010, 20:48
Sounds like one to add to the database Chris. Don't know the area or I'd look up the co-ordinates for you!

ALLERDALECHEF
22-10-2010, 20:52
We've parked overnight in the pay and display carpark near the theatre in Keswick and had no hassle. Mind you that was over a year ago and I don't know if they've since put 'no overnight parking' signs up, but there wasn't when we were there.
Sue

I will check it out tommorrow !

chef

Canalsman
22-10-2010, 22:04
Sounds like one to add to the database Chris. Don't know the area or I'd look up the co-ordinates for you!

All of them are already in ... :D

ALLERDALECHEF
23-10-2010, 10:28
Sue

I will check it out tommorrow !

chef

Checked it out today and can confirm there are no NO OVERNIGHT signs at the lakeside car park and nothing on the machines , however it does say refer to Allerdale borough council off street parking order for the full regulations.

I went to check another one nearby also operated by Allerdale borough council and happened to see an attendant checking tickets , i asked him if it was ok to stay overnight in a vehicle ..he was totally disinterested but said 'no it isnt legal'
i asked him what would happen if he saw someone

''dunno it has never been an issue' was his reply
can you ticket them?, i asked
'no , was the reply , only the legal department could take action.
I got the distinct impression that he wasnt bothered and perhaps as long as you dont have the awning out, deck chairs and barbie fired up you would probably be ok, but at your own risk be it !!

groyne
08-11-2011, 09:58
Stayed in the Lakeside carpark on Saturday night, very quiet no problems. Parking is 7 all day (8am - 7pm Monday to Sunday) 5 for 4 hours etc. Toilets onsite, but they where shut before 5pm, didn't check them before we left on Sunday morning.

Yogihughes
26-02-2012, 18:56
Parked up overnight at the Portinscale Road last night.
Had a very quiet night after a meal in town at Oddfellow's Inn.
One other MH there (58 plate Carado).
Also one small VW van I think it was, at the bridge end of the road.
Lots of cars early on Sunday morning, many hikers/walkers toing and froing.

P McClure
27-02-2012, 04:53
We stayed in the public car park, (five minute walk into Keswick) which is next to the rugby club last Friday night. Arrived 3.00 in the afternoon, paid 3.40 to last until 7.00 at night. Free parking from 7.00 until 9.00 the next morning.

The rugby club was closed so no late night noise from people leaving. Just us and another motor home parked a few yards away. Very nice. Only second night away in a motor home and yet to stay on a site.

Peter

Yogihughes
27-02-2012, 07:25
Yes we drove by the Rugby club twice on Saturday afternoon, looked really busy so didn't ask to park.
Had a real quiet time at Portinscale road though and a good Sunday morning stroll through a couple of local villages.

whitevanwoman
27-02-2012, 21:45
Years ago I stayed overnight on the lane leading past the Keswick Stone circle, I haven't been there for years but from memory it was quiet, until about 9am when tourists started arriving.

POI Admin
07-07-2015, 22:55
I had hoped to stay at Portinscale tonight, but at present United Utilities are working there and the road is CLOSED.

It appears to be only a temporary stoppage.

Instead I'm at Castlerigg Stone Circle which makes a very acceptable alternative :D

alcam
08-07-2015, 08:01
We've stayed at both locations many times. At the rugby club I went into the bar to ask permission to stay in the car park, they said no probs, would you like to contribute to the club funds. I donated a 1 coin.
Another spot is on the road outside the C&CC site, but out of season only. Just look at the signs on the adjacent lamposts which indicate the season dates.

Allen

How very generous

Obanboy666
08-07-2015, 11:30
Have any members overnighted recently at CU Keswick next to the lake ?
Often parked up there for the day in the car but never in the motorhome. Looking on Google Earth the parking bays are for cars with designated coach bays. Would my 21' coach built be ok ?

Annsman
08-07-2015, 12:16

Allen

Surely you are joking when you said you only donated a quid? You could lose that down the seats of your van and not bother looking!
Don't be surprised if next time you go they have stopped vans using it because some people took the piss.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS