PDA

View Full Version : Calais to Benidorm

tommywelly
19-10-2010, 10:10
Can anyone suggest a Toll free route from Calais to Benidorm with stopovers, we are travelling in a Bongo and intend taking 3 days for the journey Wife,Pooch and me in February.
Tommywelly

Nosha
19-10-2010, 18:36
Have a play using the Michelin guide or Mappy.com which will tell you the tolls for the route you select.

Poco Loco
19-10-2010, 22:26
If you or someone you know has a Tom Tom (with europe maps) you can pre plan a route and request it avoiding the toll roads. You can then view the route on the tom tom and plan it on your map.

David & Ann
19-10-2010, 23:24
Can anyone suggest a Toll free route from Calais to Benidorm with stopovers, we are travelling in a Bongo and intend taking 3 days for the journey Wife,Pooch and me in February.
Tommywelly

Calais to Boulogne take A16
Boulogne to Abbeville take N1 / D901
Abbeville to Rouen take A28 (Toll free highway)
Rouen to Alencon take N138 / D438
Alencon to Le Mans take N138 / D338
Le Mans to Tours take N138 / D938
Tours to Poitiers take N10 / D910
Poitiers to Angouleme take N10
Angouleme to Bordeaux take N10 then at Jct 39 take A10 to Bordeaux then at Jct 1 follow the ring road heading for the Airport then at Jct 26a branch off for the A63 then at Jct 22 take E05 / E70 which continues onto the A63.
(From Jct 39 to the last point of E05/E70/A63 is all Toll free highway)
End of Highway at Jct 20 to Bayonne take N10 / E05 / E70
Bayonne to Biarritz E05 / E70
Biarritz to Spainish Border take coastal road E05 / E70
Follow road signs for Don Sebastion (This is one stretch of road I don't have road numbers)
Don Sebastion to Vitoria Gasteiz take A1
Vitoria Gasteiz to Burgos take E05 / E80, the same road becomes the N1 further on
Burgos to Madrid take A1 / E05
Madrid to Albacete take A4 then branch off on the N301 which follows through as the A31 to Albacete
Albacete to Alicante take A31
Alicante to Benidorm take N332 coastal road

It is the best I can do from my private Log book. Hope this helps.

vwalan
20-10-2010, 11:39
i would follow the above but turn off at perigeaux and head to saralat la canada then head towards cahours .then toulouse ,pamiers ,andorra . then work away down to the med in spain and follow the coast to benidorm. i like the journey as well as the destination. there are so many variations all exciting and differant . i dont use tolls at all. try not to use motorways as well. have a good trip. cheers alan.
actually i dont like benidorm . can think of far nicer places . but its your choice .

rvfulltimer
20-10-2010, 12:34
Hello all i am going down this route on the second of december and back again in january ,do you think there will be snow at this time of year .

David & Ann
20-10-2010, 12:36
i would follow the above but turn off at perigeaux and head to saralat la canada then head towards cahours .then toulouse ,pamiers ,andorra . then work away down to the med in spain and follow the coast to benidorm. i like the journey as well as the destination. there are so many variations all exciting and differant . i dont use tolls at all. try not to use motorways as well. have a good trip. cheers alan.
actually i dont like benidorm . can think of far nicer places . but its your choice .

Hi Alan, I agree with you. There are many routes you can take to get to your destination. I don't think I have ever taken the same route twice, partially, yes, this way I get to cover and see a lot of places. I think my best route was across France into Germany entering Switzerland, over the Alps and back into France, entering Spain from the Perpignan end. Cross over the Spainish/French border and head for the Spainish coastal road for L'escala. From then on I drive the coastal road for as long as I can visiting practially every beach town/village. Great fun as long as you have the time.

vwalan
20-10-2010, 16:15
there could be snow on any of the routes . as i get off the ferry in nov. i see snow when i leave end of april i see snow. yes its high on the mountains but last year we saw snow at least once a week while traveling around spain and portugal. the main routes are usually open. but remember to be prepared .always carry a few candles . one candle alight in a car is enough to stop you dying of cold. ha ha .leave early go home late thats the answer. cheers alan.

David & Ann
20-10-2010, 16:28
Hello all i am going down this route on the second of december and back again in january ,do you think there will be snow at this time of year .

Last winter as everyone knows was a hard one. This year in June when I drove past Granada on the A44 to Motril, we had the most wonderfull views of the snow capped mountains of the Sierra Nevada's.

tommywelly
20-10-2010, 19:58
Calais to Boulogne take A16
Boulogne to Abbeville take N1 / D901
Abbeville to Rouen take A28 (Toll free highway)
Rouen to Alencon take N138 / D438
Alencon to Le Mans take N138 / D338
Le Mans to Tours take N138 / D938
Tours to Poitiers take N10 / D910
Poitiers to Angouleme take N10
Angouleme to Bordeaux take N10 then at Jct 39 take A10 to Bordeaux then at Jct 1 follow the ring road heading for the Airport then at Jct 26a branch off for the A63 then at Jct 22 take E05 / E70 which continues onto the A63.
(From Jct 39 to the last point of E05/E70/A63 is all Toll free highway)
End of Highway at Jct 20 to Bayonne take N10 / E05 / E70
Bayonne to Biarritz E05 / E70
Biarritz to Spainish Border take coastal road E05 / E70
Follow road signs for Don Sebastion (This is one stretch of road I don't have road numbers)
Don Sebastion to Vitoria Gasteiz take A1
Vitoria Gasteiz to Burgos take E05 / E80, the same road becomes the N1 further on
Burgos to Madrid take A1 / E05
Madrid to Albacete take A4 then branch off on the N301 which follows through as the A31 to Albacete
Albacete to Alicante take A31
Alicante to Benidorm take N332 coastal road

It is the best I can do from my private Log book. Hope this helps.

Than you for info I will check it out on Autoroute
Tommywelly

tommywelly
20-10-2010, 21:06

Thanks Alan
We won't be staying in Benidorm itself (it was the nearest town we could think of ) but a place called Altea, found what looks like a lovely site, would love to wild camp like we do here in the uk, but thought as its our first time abroad in the bongo & it being a very small campervan (as you know) we,d need our pop up tent.
Really looking foreward to some warmer weather come winter.
Regards Irene

robbo
21-10-2010, 10:44
san sebastian motorway irurzan pamplona,mostly free,junc 83 onto n121 tudela to n232 mallen right onto n122 soria,bypass magellan left onto a121 ricla,a220 la munia,carinina,n330 Daroca,n234/n23 terual,n234 sgunta,a7/e15bypass valencia n332 to benidorm walla.

rvfulltimer
21-10-2010, 10:57
there could be snow on any of the routes . as i get off the ferry in nov. i see snow when i leave end of april i see snow. yes its high on the mountains but last year we saw snow at least once a week while traveling around spain and portugal. the main routes are usually open. but remember to be prepared .always carry a few candles . one candle alight in a car is enough to stop you dying of cold. ha ha .leave early go home late thats the answer. cheers alan.

Thanks Allan we are going by car leaving the rv at parked on site ,normaly go down to spain about november and come back about march but this year got family problems so can only make it for a month or so ,good idea about the candles, thanks lol and jude.

vwalan
21-10-2010, 12:26
hi altea is very nice .we may see you there you never know. ther really is alot of places to park .but better if you keep moving. i use a bongo here in summer but as you say its a bit small for wintering away . i did use a vw t2 for years but now have the ideal outfit. wrks for me and can be a bit stealth as well. do carry small m,bikes but also can use the unit as a car if i need to. good for truck stops all the big trucks protect the little baby . when it grows up its gonna be a big 40fter and a huge bonnetted truck to pull it . ha ha . cheers alan.

lebesset
21-10-2010, 16:20
during the winter we prefer the ...quickest to the mediterranean ....route ...rouen/orleans /bourges/moulin/clermont-ferrand / A75 free motorway south

quick question though ...south of barcelona is a motorway which goes past the airport but through the tunels de garaf there is a toll charge ...does anyone know how much it is for a 3.5 tonne motorhome?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS