PDA

View Full Version : Pub Stopovers in the Lakes

barryd
23-10-2010, 13:26
Hi All

Im organising a boys trip for 4 days next weekend. At the moment it looks like Tan Hill Inn, Pooley Bridge Ullswater and Maybe Honister or Newlands Pass. I know the usual wild spots quite well but wondered if anyone had any other recommendations for pub stops that will easily fit a VW camper and a 7m Kontiki. Hopefully a lively traditional pub.

Cheers
Barry

rolandrat
23-10-2010, 18:08
Barry,
I can recommend Miller Field Motorhome Camping, Rothay Road, Ambleside. LA22 0EE Phone Number 07708 310986. It is an Aire type location literally 2 minutes from Ambleside centre, you will need to ring to book a pitch after 1830 hrs. All there is on the site is a water and elsan emtying point but the scenery and location couldn't be better. If you are a member of the Motorcaravaners Club it only costs 7 per night or 10 if your not. When you book you will be given the code for the lock on the gate to let yourself in and the owner will call for the fee later.

barryd
23-10-2010, 19:02
Barry,
I can recommend Miller Field Motorhome Camping, Rothay Road, Ambleside. LA22 0EE Phone Number 07708 310986. It is an Aire type location literally 2 minutes from Ambleside centre, you will need to ring to book a pitch after 1830 hrs. All there is on the site is a water and elsan emtying point but the scenery and location couldn't be better. If you are a member of the Motorcaravaners Club it only costs 7 per night or 10 if your not. When you book you will be given the code for the lock on the gate to let yourself in and the owner will call for the fee later.

many thanks, I have heard about the Aire. 10 is too much for an Aire but I suppose its within walking distance of Ambleside.

4x4busdriver
24-10-2010, 16:03
Hi,
Last year I was talking to the landlord of the Pooley Bridge Inn and he said that he would be happy to have motorhomers stopping in his large carpark subject to them using his pub.
The Pooley Bridge Inn 017684 86215
Have a good weekend

Hi All

Im organising a boys trip for 4 days next weekend. At the moment it looks like Tan Hill Inn, Pooley Bridge Ullswater and Maybe Honister or Newlands Pass. I know the usual wild spots quite well but wondered if anyone had any other recommendations for pub stops that will easily fit a VW camper and a 7m Kontiki. Hopefully a lively traditional pub.

Cheers
Barry

barryd
24-10-2010, 16:25
Thanks, I should have mentioned but I am aware of the Pooley Bridge Inn and have stopped there. Its a brilliant stopover as there are 3 pubs in crawling distance of each other. Might go there but fancy a change. The Horse and Farrier at Threkeld near Keswick has said its ok. Might give it a go. Does anyone know if the dead end road outside of Keswick near Portinscale thats on the wild POI map is in use as last time I passed the road was closed?

Cheers
BD

Canalsman
24-10-2010, 17:34
Does anyone know if the dead end road outside of Keswick near Portinscale thats on the wild POI map is in use as last time I passed the road was closed?

I'm sure it's been mentioned recently as being back in use ...

barryd
24-10-2010, 18:04
Thats useful to know thanks. It would be a cheap taxi ride into Keswick from there where there are so many pubs your spoilt for choice.

I did wonder if any of the car parks actually in Keswick allowed overnighting but I suspect not. We once just parked up on the roadside in a little VW but I wouldnt chance it in the Kontiki.

Canalsman
24-10-2010, 19:21
I did wonder if any of the car parks actually in Keswick allowed overnighting but I suspect not. We once just parked up on the roadside in a little VW but I wouldnt chance it in the Kontiki.

You can try the Keswick Rugby Club here CA12 5EG - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/2b435p7) - there may be a fee.

And it's recently been reported that this car park in Keswick is fine - found here 54.59576, -3.13895 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/36vjssl)

Regards

Chris

barryd
24-10-2010, 20:30
You are a wild camping Legend!!!

Thanks

Have emailed the Rugby club as its very near the centre but will also check out the car park.

Regards
BD

Henrym
17-01-2011, 22:44
When our motorhome was non-operational and we stayed at The Greyhound Inn, Grizebeck, Kirkby-In-Furness, Cumbria LA17 7XJ, they were ameniable to us returning and staying in their car park, if we used the bar/restaurant.

Also stayed at Rugby Club, Millom (Haverigg), small site (large grounds) with access to bar and dunes/beach.

Canalsman
17-01-2011, 23:45
When our motorhome was non-operational and we stayed at The Greyhound Inn, Grizebeck, Kirkby-In-Furness, Cumbria LA17 7XJ, they were ameniable to us returning and staying in their car park, if we used the bar/restaurant.

Also stayed at Rugby Club, Millom (Haverigg), small site (large grounds) with access to bar and dunes/beach.

Thanks for the tip about the Greyhound. I've added it to the POI database.

I've just checked the Rugby Club website - their facility is a C&CC Certified Site. So you'll need to be a member.

barryd
18-01-2011, 17:34
Im not sure you do need to be a member for the CC&C CS sites. They are supposed to give you a form so you can join if you wish. Ive stayed in a few and Im not a member. I think the CC are a bit more strict though.

Daveandjacqui
19-01-2011, 19:15
Barry

Station Inn Ribblehead is an option if travelling South

D&J

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS