PDA

View Full Version : A9 layby 81

dogmanlpool
27-10-2010, 16:24
hello everyone ?
i went up to scotland last xmas and stopped on the way up there in a layby number 81 ?? av had a look through some posts and a lot of people saying that you cant stop in them over night ? i had no problems just wondering if anyone else has had any problems staying in them ? because i am heading up there at xmas this year
thanks keith

David & Ann
27-10-2010, 17:36
I go to Inverness atleast twice a year to vist our son who is in the RAF via the A9. I don't know if the number 81 is the same place I stop for the night but I have never had a problem at this place.

sagart
30-10-2010, 09:48
As I understand it, the "No Overnighting" sign is "advisory" not "enforceable"...that's certainly the position here on Skye.
Personally I don't use lay-bys on the A9 as I find them too noisy and impracticable for dog walking.
Favourites heading north are the Upper Hermitage carpark near Pitlochry and Daviot Woods just south of Inverness.

Canalsman
30-10-2010, 17:42
Favourites heading north are the Upper Hermitage carpark near Pitlochry and Daviot Woods just south of Inverness.

Thanks ... added to database :)

Regards

Chris

dogmanlpool
30-10-2010, 19:59
hello and thanks for taken the time to reply ?? as i can remember the layby 81 was set back off the road ? great for the dog as we took ours ? it was absolutely pitch black when we arrived as i had been driven for about 7 hours from liverpool and i was in a non turbo hymer i felt like steering it into the nearest tree on the A9 :mad: ? anyway we setled down for the night and it was very quiet odd van going past but when we got up in the morning there were mountains on both sides covered in snow ? it was amazing well worth the drive ? thanks dogmanlpool

maingate
30-10-2010, 20:36
Fort George is a good stopover if you are passing Inverness. Good for dogs as well.

Henrym
12-02-2011, 01:10
The A9 has many lay-bys, but most are narrow, unsuitable for overnight stops.
Possible overnight stopovers on the A9 from Pitlochry to Inverness include
Blair Athol, Old Bridge of Tilt CP, but there is a low arched bridge (our 2.8 m van was OK). Grid ref NN 874662
Just off A9 on minor road parallel to it, at start of dual carriageway (northbound) just before Dalnamein Lodge. The road bridge on the minor road is for cycles only, so there is a good stretch of road 250 m from the A9 suitable for parking up. Turn in at Grid ref NN 758694
North of Dromochter summit, there are wide laybys on each side of the A9. NN630764 southbound, NN628791 at Balsporran Cotts northbound (plus others)
From Kingussie, take B9152 towards Kincraig; there is a widening (albeit adjacent to the railway) early on this road. Grid ref NH 772012 Turn into Kincraig, cross river (weight limit on bridge) and park near loch; you may see an osprey on nest. Grid ref NH 835055
Aviemore: take Coylumbridge road, and before crossing river turn left. Parking area on right. Grid ref NH 895118 Or follow Coylumbridge road to car park on right opposite visitor centre (at B970 junction) Grid ref NH 901109
Boat of Garten, near Loch Garten (Osprey) RSPB reserve. On B970, opposite turn to Boat of Garten, there is a car park. Grid ref NH 952189 On road towards Loch Garten, Abernethy Forest CP Grid ref NH 971185, or at widenings on road near loch before RSPB car park Grid ref NH 977184
Aviemore to Carrbridge (A95): just north of railway bridge, small car park near cemetry. Grid ref NH 910174
Just N of Tomatin, there is a wide lay-by behind a bus stop in the southbound direction (accessible northbound). Grid ref NH 794304, and 2 km further north (northbound) at Grid ref NH 787321

kenjones
12-02-2011, 10:14
We use an old (by-passed) stretch of the A9 just north of Calvine and south of Dalnacardoch. It's just far enough from the main road for a quiet overnight stop.
Sheep farm nearby so don't let your dogs run free.

Canalsman
12-02-2011, 18:55
The A9 has many lay-bys, but most are narrow, unsuitable for overnight stops.
Possible overnight stopovers on the A9 from Pitlochry to Inverness include
Blair Athol, Old Bridge of Tilt CP, but there is a low arched bridge (our 2.8 m van was OK). Grid ref NN 874662
Just off A9 on minor road parallel to it, at start of dual carriageway (northbound) just before Dalnamein Lodge. The road bridge on the minor road is for cycles only, so there is a good stretch of road 250 m from the A9 suitable for parking up. Turn in at Grid ref NN 758694
North of Dromochter summit, there are wide laybys on each side of the A9. NN630764 southbound, NN628791 at Balsporran Cotts northbound (plus others)
From Kingussie, take B9152 towards Kincraig; there is a widening (albeit adjacent to the railway) early on this road. Grid ref NH 772012 Turn into Kincraig, cross river (weight limit on bridge) and park near loch; you may see an osprey on nest. Grid ref NH 835055
Aviemore: take Coylumbridge road, and before crossing river turn left. Parking area on right. Grid ref NH 895118 Or follow Coylumbridge road to car park on right opposite visitor centre (at B970 junction) Grid ref NH 901109
Boat of Garten, near Loch Garten (Osprey) RSPB reserve. On B970, opposite turn to Boat of Garten, there is a car park. Grid ref NH 952189 On road towards Loch Garten, Abernethy Forest CP Grid ref NH 971185, or at widenings on road near loch before RSPB car park Grid ref NH 977184
Aviemore to Carrbridge (A95): just north of railway bridge, small car park near cemetry. Grid ref NH 910174
Just N of Tomatin, there is a wide lay-by behind a bus stop in the southbound direction (accessible northbound). Grid ref NH 794304, and 2 km further north (northbound) at Grid ref NH 787321

Thank you so much for all these - many of them were not in the POI database ... they are now :)

Regards

Chris

Canalsman
12-02-2011, 18:56
We use an old (by-passed) stretch of the A9 just north of Calvine and south of Dalnacardoch. It's just far enough from the main road for a quiet overnight stop.
Sheep farm nearby so don't let your dogs run free.

Thanks for the info, Ken. Added to POI database.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS