PDA

View Full Version : SYRIA and Antioch ?

barnybg
30-10-2010, 18:17
Hi,Everyone,thinking of heading to Syria via the coast of Turkey,down to,or off the coast of Cypress first then further on,cross into Syria,visit the ancient Greek/Roman sea trading city of Antioch and if possible follow that coast ,to the next country (wherever,whoever that is )Israel ? I'm sure someone will know .
I wanted to go to Spain and maybe Moroc,but further investigation,would be tomany countries and miles to and back from Bulgaria,where i am based for now.
Any info about lower Turkey and SYRIA would be brill,i intend looking up on the internet,but it's always wise or better to hear from the 'horses mouth' ,hoping it will be the same sort of weather as Moroc,been as its a desert country,i'm looking at 15 c and mainly dry,warmer would be a plus....its not deffo yet but ,if i go,it will be middle November/December, and hopefully till March,i have a dog and a goldfish...

AndyC
30-10-2010, 20:03
You won't get from Syria into Israel, the only land border that is open for travel to Israel is from Jordan.

South from Syria on the coast is Lebanon and you cannot enter Lebanon with a diesel engined vehicle!

Don't forget that you have to pay a diesel tax when you leave Syria of $100 for each week you have been in the country.

You have to obtain a Syrian visa in advance, as far as I know you can't get one at the border.

AndyC

locksmith
30-10-2010, 20:04
Hi,Everyone,thinking of heading to Syria via the coast of Turkey,down to,or off the coast of Cypress first then further on,cross into Syria,visit the ancient Greek/Roman sea trading city of Antioch and if possible follow that coast ,to the next country (wherever,whoever that is )Israel ? I'm sure someone will know .
I wanted to go to Spain and maybe Moroc,but further investigation,would be tomany countries and miles to and back from Bulgaria,where i am based for now.
Any info about lower Turkey and SYRIA would be brill,i intend looking up on the internet,but it's always wise or better to hear from the 'horses mouth' ,hoping it will be the same sort of weather as Moroc,been as its a desert country,i'm looking at 15 c and mainly dry,warmer would be a plus....its not deffo yet but ,if i go,it will be middle November/December, and hopefully till March,i have a dog and a goldfish...

I believe Antioch is in southern Turkey but to cross over into Syria you are braver than me, the only way I would go there is driving a Centurion Tank with the lid down.

Good luck

vwalan
30-10-2010, 20:25
barny i shouldnt worry lots do it every year . the route is syria jordan then on to egypt. lots germans doing it .pm me i can give you a number for some english friends that have german friends that have done it a few times. we keep thinking of spending winter in the sinai. best miss lebanon israel and the gaza. but its still a bit cold in these countries in winter .you really need to get below cairo and down towards aswan to feel the warmth. but cindy can give you lots of info she was in cairo university . her friends do it very often . or email me at vwalan@live.com do some googling aswell i think you are still abit north really unless you get into egypt. get a good atlas look at weather charts . but i,m sure its a good adventure . have fun,i,m sure you will. cheers alan.

barnybg
30-10-2010, 20:26
Thanks for the comments guys,yes Antioch is more or less on the border of the two(Turkey),so have to have a look,is Syria that bad ?especially in these worried times ?
I wont need to pay diesel tax or worry about border crossings as my vehicle (Talbot Autoquest) is a 2ltr petrol/LPG.
The VISA thing ,is that a deffenate,i know its a 90 day visa for Turkey,so i thought if i was to go in November and say enter Syria beginning of January,then stay there a few weeks to a month,then back into Turkey for another 90 day VISA,that would be ok and feasable wouldn't it,then i can mosey back to Bulgaria without having to rush ?
I could probably drive direct from Istanbul all the way down on motorway or very same to Antioch/Syria,in about 20 hours or less,if i wanted to ?and then take my time back up,along the coast.
Turkey is expensive on petrol,but hoping to find LPG along the way,what about Syria (petrol prices)and LPG ?

Tony Lee
30-10-2010, 23:51
Another consideration depending on your plans, is that it is said that if you have been to Israel, Syria won't issue you a visa.

Roger
01-11-2010, 07:13
Try doing a weblookup on "The HUBB" which is a dedicated website for overland travel worldwide with a lot of good current info, has a large section on the Middle East, info on visas and Carnets. The RAC carnet section is one of the most up to date services around.

David & Ann
01-11-2010, 07:33
Many years ago, if you had visited an Arab country, either to work or go on vacation, you would not be able to get a Visa for Israel. When applying for an Israeli Visa, you had an entry stamp of an Arab country, your Visa was refused. I don't know if this is still the case.

barnybg
01-11-2010, 16:59
I have not been to Israel as yet,and i dont think i ever will,as for an Arab country,Egypt for a package holiday.
So bottom end of Turkey or Syria,IF i go,anyone know temperatures ? i can look up World weather,and they give me ideas and averages,i would like to know from someone who's been there,is it shorts or dress comfortably/warmly,but blue skies OR raining,snowing and the like...

Basil
01-11-2010, 18:03
Another consideration depending on your plans, is that it is said that if you have been to Israel, Syria won't issue you a visa.

Greece used to have the same attitude if you had been to Turkey....
Quite a few years ago....:(

John H
03-11-2010, 13:45
I have not been to Israel as yet,and i dont think i ever will,as for an Arab country,Egypt for a package holiday.
So bottom end of Turkey or Syria,IF i go,anyone know temperatures ? i can look up World weather,and they give me ideas and averages,i would like to know from someone who's been there,is it shorts or dress comfortably/warmly,but blue skies OR raining,snowing and the like...

We went to Syria in February - the temperatures in the extreme north and along the Mediterannean coast can be chilly (and it does regularly snow in the mountains) but further south and inland we were definitely wearing shorts all day (although it could get chilly at night). So the short answer is :if you are going in winter, pack for every eventuality but you will probably need more t-shirts than sweaters.

By the way, Syrians are among the friendliest, most welcoming and honest people you will ever meet anywhere - don't believe all the "axis of evil" crap.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS