PDA

View Full Version : All the Aires France 2nd edition

UFO
03-11-2010, 16:17
Just back from 3 weeks in Portugal, Spain and France, used 'All the Aires France' 2nd edition. 4 out of the 6 aires we visited were not as described - but the 3rd edition is due out soon.‏

Normandy - Oissel - 84 - 76350
Only 2 not 5 6m spaces. Parking is possible in car parking bays but it is tight and sloping

Atlantic - Cavignac - 93 - 33620
Close with height barriers at both entrances to car park. New aire in village N45 deg 06.998 W000 deg 23.528 has NO facilities. Large reasonably flat parking area bounded by childrens centre, graveyard and vineyard.

Centre - Montoire Seu Le Loir - 37 - 41800
No grey water disposal

Centre - Vendrome - 65 - 41100
No water supply. Confirmed by other motorhome on site.

AndyC
03-11-2010, 17:02
Send the updates in to Vicarious Books (http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/), they are in the process of compiling the new edition now.

AndyC

UFO
04-11-2010, 16:38
thanks - I emailed Vicarious already

I wonder whether my experience of changing aires is common

baloothebear
05-11-2010, 06:47
I have followed the directions given in Vicarious Books before now only to find that the Aires has been closed for some time.
The Aires books sold in the French Hypermarkets seem to give a better and more up to date idea of what is current.
Also, don't forget some of the excellent websites like CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm) and others. The only problem is that they are in French...

John H
05-11-2010, 07:20
I second both of those points. We only use the CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) website and the Frech book "Guide Officiel Aires de Services Camping-car" which you can buy in French garages and supermarkets. We have found that other sources have too many errors in them. Happy travels.

mostin
05-11-2010, 07:34
Hello all.

I use this site i Camping car - Aires de services, tapes, accueil et autres informations pour utilisateurs de camping cars (http://www.i-campingcar.fr/) You can add your name & email address to the site & they will send you via email an updated database for your sat nav every 6 months which isnt bad for free.

I've used it in france a couple of times & its pritty good. But don't forget nothing is 100%

Hope it helps.
Mostin.

kelly 58
07-11-2010, 08:01
Vicarious Books are bringing out All the Aires vol 3 early next year.

Wortle
16-04-2012, 08:09
What do you think? I'm annoyed and disgusted.

I have the THIRD edition and its hopeless. I bought it to help me avoid mistakes that are costly in fuel. I expected some minor things to be wrong. Not to this extent though, on such a costly item.

I programmed (P 444) Quend les Pins, 49 53.907,2 17.606 on my Sat Nav, and instead of ending up at Quend Plage, found myself on the outskirts of Amiens with my intended destination 80km plus away. :scared: To add insult to injury the aire in Amiens like everything else seems to be closed, 4 closed out of 8 on that particular page. (closed information could be useful if you hadnt just been directed there instead of your intended destination). This is incompetence on their part. Add this to the list of mistakes on their own website, which you really need to check and pencil in yourself, All The Aires France updates (http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_all_the_aires_france.shtml), and you wonder why you are buying it. As the previous poster said, info is available for download free.

I emailed Vicarious books as it was only purchased a few weeks ago. I asked for a full refund and return label to post it back at their expense. They replied to say yes they would refund, but they want me to return in the original jiffy bag under the returns system. I presume this is to ensure the Royal Mail to absorb Vicarious mistakes into Royal Mail business costs! If you send out an item that isnt fit for purpose and has to be returned, after use who pays?

I quote their instructions:
Strike 2 diagonal lines through your address and write “Return to sender” on the jiffy. Also circle our address beside the postage mark. Post the package in a post box. Do not take it to a post office because they may charge you.

I just find that appalling. I am not sending it back in that manner, nor do I think I should have the expense of paying to send it back. I cant trust any of the materiel, so dont really want the book. I already had large fuel costs, to say nothing of the waste of precious holiday time.

What do you think?

John H
16-04-2012, 12:26

I have the THIRD edition and its hopeless. I bought it to help me avoid mistakes that are costly in fuel. I expected some minor things to be wrong. Not to this extent though, on such a costly item.

I programmed (P 444) Quend les Pins, 49 53.907,2 17.606 on my Sat Nav, and instead of ending up at Quend Plage, found myself on the outskirts of Amiens with my intended destination 80km plus away. :scared: To add insult to injury the aire in Amiens like everything else seems to be closed, 4 closed out of 8 on that particular page. (closed information could be useful if you hadnt just been directed there instead of your intended destination). This is incompetence on their part. Add this to the list of mistakes on their own website, which you really need to check and pencil in yourself, All The Aires France updates (http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_all_the_aires_france.shtml), and you wonder why you are buying it. As the previous poster said, info is available for download free.

I emailed Vicarious books as it was only purchased a few weeks ago. I asked for a full refund and return label to post it back at their expense. They replied to say yes they would refund, but they want me to return in the original jiffy bag under the returns system. I presume this is to ensure the Royal Mail to absorb Vicarious mistakes into Royal Mail business costs! If you send out an item that isnt fit for purpose and has to be returned, after use who pays?

Strike 2 diagonal lines through your address and write “Return to sender” on the jiffy. Also circle our address beside the postage mark. Post the package in a post box. Do not take it to a post office because they may charge you.

I just find that appalling. I am not sending it back in that manner, nor do I think I should have the expense of paying to send it back. I cant trust any of the materiel, so dont really want the book. I already had large fuel costs, to say nothing of the waste of precious holiday time.

What do you think?

I think that, if Vicarious insist on this condition and you are not in a position to meet it, it may take an awful lot of time and trouble to get your refund. Ultimately, you may prove that the book is not fit for purpose but it would have cost you a lot more than the book is worth to prove it. I'd be inclined to cut my losses and never buy the book again. As I said previously, I have found the information in "All the Aires" to be not particularly accurate generally - you are better off getting the much more reliable French "Guide Officiel" and consulting the excellent and regularly updated CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) (which is free!).

Neckender
16-04-2012, 16:00
I've used all th aires for the last 2 years for our annual holidays and found it very good, I don't plan anywhere and look for an aire that I fancy and just set sat nav no motorways and no tolls and just tootle along. Have a brilliant time.

John.

grath
16-04-2012, 16:33
It's not very often that we plan our journey and even if we did plan, we would not stick to it. We would end up with plan Z.
We just go and enjoy whatever comes along, often we have a rough idea where we are going, but just as often we come off the ferry not knowing if we are going to turn right or left.
We do have the Vicarious guides and we have found them quite useful, similarly the French Aire guide. Both have good and not so good points.
We have excellent maps and we use them and just use a Sat Nav for the last couple of miles into an aire. Sorry I should have said clicks (kilometres)

jann
16-04-2012, 19:52
We used it last year, I was realy pleased with it We've always used the French books before, but I found All the aires better because of GPS and picture of aire.

We never asume anything about an aire, always arrive early enough to move on to the next place if needed.

You must have been unlucky , we found most of the ones that we were looking for.

colpot
17-04-2012, 07:32
We have the 2nd Edition (I think - its on the Motorhome and p*ssing down at the mo so I am staying indoors) and the only time we went wrong was when I put the coordinates in wrong and ended up about 50km away in the middle of nowhere.
Sure - some have been closed/moved (probably 2/3 in 5 trips) but we normally have a plan B (France Passion).
Last year I downloaded the POI for the Garmin from Camping Cars Info and found that really useful to find the nearest Aire when on the road.

colpot
17-04-2012, 07:50
We have the 2nd Edition (I think - its on the Motorhome and p*ssing down at the mo so I am staying indoors) and the only time we went wrong was when I put the coordinates in wrong and ended up about 50km away in the middle of nowhere.
Sure - some have been closed/moved (probably 2/3 in 5 trips) but we normally have a plan B (France Passion).
Last year I downloaded the POI for the Garmin from Camping Cars Info and found that really useful to find the nearest Aire when on the road.

fairytooth
17-04-2012, 08:00
I have found 'All the French Aires' from Vicious Books to be ok but far from perfect so we just use them as part of the plan. Part of the problem seems to be that many Aires are no longer free.

I very much agree with the comments about the Camping-Cars Infos website where the POI's are now split into numerous categories and seem to be very accurate.

As I have said before, for tomtom users I am happy to add Wildcamping POI's to fully paid members FREE OF CHARGE (just £7 for return delivery) and I will add the French Camping Car Infos at the same time if you ask.

PM me for address details.

Dezi
17-04-2012, 09:22
Hi, Because we roam over most of Europe I buy a "camperstop" every other year which I find excellent.
You can also download the camperstop POIs for individual Countries from vicarius books.

I then check the individual sites on Google maps just before I go to make sure everything is still OK.

We are away next week for six weeks & apart from my normal Euro waypoints I have around 100 sites on the Garmin covering the particular areas that we are going through.

As Grath say's any that you happen to chance upon is a bonus.

Dezi :pc:

shortcircuit
17-04-2012, 09:52
I have the 2nd and 3rd editions. What I have at last understood is that the contributers to the book are amateurs and I assume do the inspections on a voluntary basis. As an indication I give two examples.

1 Cite Europe "Not recommended overnight" The aires has two sides towards eurotunnel with high fences and CCTV. The third side has a police station and the fourth side is towards the centre car park with CCTV security etc. How on earth this recommendation got printed I have no idea.

2 Brezolles - The report suggests an idilic village all nice and rosy. What it fails to mention is the aires is directly adjacent to the main road passing through the village and has traffic 24hrs. The road is at the bottom of a hill with heavy lorries braking adjacent to the aires and going over a bump causes noise all night.

I now take the information provided with a large pinch of salt and always have a backup plan. Still the aires are a boon

barryd
17-04-2012, 11:44
I also have both 2nd and 3rd editions and find them invaluable but as Short Circuit says you need to take with a pinch of salt some of the comments. By far the best resource is CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) as it also has many user comments but the book is still very useful.

Ive visited hundreds of Aires and I think there has only been maybe one that the book had wrong in its co-ordinates. The descriptions however and what the inspectors consider a "Really Nice Aire" beggars belief at times. So again you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

vindiboy
23-04-2012, 14:12

What do you think?
I think you should have double checked the location of the Aire on a map before you drove to it, you must have thought , that's a long way to go I did not think it would be that far before you set off.I think that the Vic books are great, I don't have the latest one for France, just the previous edition, and I can't fault that.

barryd
23-04-2012, 14:26
Im a bit confused that you think the book is rubbish but your trying to flog it for £30!!

All the Aires France. Latest 3rd Edition (9780956678102) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Aires-France-Latest-3rd-Edition-/170825330688?pt=UK_Books_maps_GL&hash=item27c5fbb000)

grath
23-04-2012, 16:52
Im a bit confused that you think the book is rubbish but your trying to flog it for £30!!

All the Aires France. Latest 3rd Edition (9780956678102) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Aires-France-Latest-3rd-Edition-/170825330688?pt=UK_Books_maps_GL&hash=item27c5fbb000)

£17.50 from Vicarious

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Aires-and-Stopovers/

John H
23-04-2012, 22:20
£17.50 from Vicarious

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Aires-and-Stopovers/

The French Guide Officiel is less than £10, contains info on many more aires and, in my experience, is more accurate - no contest.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS