PDA

View Full Version : Legal Cover - Is it worth it?

Kontiki
09-11-2010, 20:21
While looking at the documents for my current insurance (not something I usually read to much) I notice that the optional legal cover only covers me for the UK, looking at previous policy documents this seems to be standard with many of the insurance companies. As most of our mileage is probably in the EU is it worth having?

Firefox
09-11-2010, 20:36
It's just more insurance.

And no insurance is actually worth it. Because all insurance is a gamble with the odds weighted in favour of the insurer. Even moreso if you are only doing a limited number of miles when you will be covered.

The basic rule should be if you can afford the loss, don't insure.

It always makes me laugh on antique's roadshow when the expert says they should insure their old pot for 1000. Because most people could afford to lose the 1000 if they got robbed and therefore in the long run they'll pay much more out in premiums. Hardly "expert" advice. If the pot was worth 30000 though it becomes a different argument.

I guess if you value the "peace of mind" of not having unexpected bills after an accident then it would be worth it.

Kontiki
09-11-2010, 20:46
But its not peace of mind if you have an accident in the EU, it's often something that isn't mentioned until you read some of the terms & conditions.

mandrake
10-11-2010, 00:59
cannot coment on the legal cover for in the e.u but i would never be without it over here as it covers all your uninsured losses like your exess that you have on your policy .so if you take out legal cover you can bring your premium down quite a bit by electing to have a high volantery exess because if you do have a claim your legal cover covers that exess also a bit more important than that is ,if an uninsured driver should hit you heaven forbid ,then your legal cover will persue the uninsured party in court for damages ,if no moneis can be recovered from said driver then there is a body that will pay out for all your losses you incure, and will pay out for your veihcle if it is a total loss .your legal cover enables you to do this also you will not lose any no clames bonus you have . the only thing you must have is an address of the uninsured party. i had to use this many years ago when i had an accident with a person that was not insured i will never be without the cover it affords you

mandrake
10-11-2010, 01:46
It's just more insurance.

And no insurance is actually worth it. Because all insurance is a gamble with the odds weighted in favour of the insurer. Even moreso if you are only doing a limited number of miles when you will be covered.

The basic rule should be if you can afford the loss, don't insure.

It always makes me laugh on antique's roadshow when the expert says they should insure their old pot for 1000. Because most people could afford to lose the 1000 if they got robbed and therefore in the long run they'll pay much more out in premiums. Hardly "expert" advice. If the pot was worth 30000 though it becomes a different argument.

I guess if you value the "peace of mind" of not having unexpected bills after an accident then it would be worth it.

we all complain about insurace preimiums ,me included .especialy as apart from the unisured trail bike rider 15 year old that i mentiond earlier it was not at fault may i add,,,, realy nasty one it was .i have never had a claim in all my years of driving but when you come to look at it ,in the unfortunate chance we do have a claim that claim may run into the hundreds of thousands of pound ,somtimes a million plus depending on the severity so when you come to look at it a few hundred quid for that type of cover it dont seem so bad . its just a pity that after so many years claim free and the amount of money we have forked out we cannot have a few years of free insurance when we have received full no claims bonus a bit too much to ask i suppose

Old_Arthur
10-11-2010, 07:35
any insurance is only any good the day you need it and then be hopes you are 150% in order because they will check every thing for a reason not to pay out.

(never ask to see you licence till after you claim :confused: surly that should be the first thing they ask to see before you get insurance ? )

John H
10-11-2010, 08:06
While looking at the documents for my current insurance (not something I usually read to much) I notice that the optional legal cover only covers me for the UK, looking at previous policy documents this seems to be standard with many of the insurance companies. As most of our mileage is probably in the EU is it worth having?

Just a thought - it might be worth asking the insurance company whether the clause means that you are only covered for incidents that happen in the UK or for causes of action that are taken in the UK. In other words, it might be that you have an accident in Spain that leads to legal action in the UK and you may be covered for this. If so, then make sure all legal action takes place in a UK court!

Kontiki
10-11-2010, 21:16
I did ask & they said it is common for most cover of this type that you are only covered for accidents in the UK. I think Comfort covers you for the EU.

Don't assume it will even cover you for everything in the UK, I had a van damage by a garage. They said they would pay for the repairs but I couldn't get them to give me it in writing so I had to claim through the insurance. When I tried to get them to get back my uninsured loss they said that as no other vehicle was involved & it didn't happen on the road the policy didn't apply. After much arguing & getting to talk to somebody more senior I got them to pursue it, but was told that if the other party didn't pay they would drop it. As it was they did pay up, the guy who did the repair also had dealings in the past with the same garage not paying so he upped the bill a bit to cover my excess in case I didn't get it.

lebesset
10-11-2010, 21:30
a few years back the EU forced british insurers to sell insurance which covered your legal liability in all EU countries [ and , if I remember correctly , a few others eg switzerland ] and , screaming and kicking , they did so

most , however , still try to extract an extra premium to insure your vehicle when out of the uk which they are permitted to do ; so whether you buy this is up to you

John H
10-11-2010, 21:41
Sorry but I'm confused. I thought the original point was about optional legal cover - ie to cover legal expenses in the event of a court case. The last two posts seem to be about other things.

Kontiki
10-11-2010, 22:25
The legal cover is also to cover your un-insured losses, the amount of compulsory or voluntary excess you pay.

mandrake
11-11-2010, 09:39
Sorry but I'm confused. I thought the original point was about optional legal cover - ie to cover legal expenses in the event of a court case. The last two posts seem to be about other things.

yes and about legal cover for traveling in the e.u not in the uk .but during a post we all seem to go a little off the original point of the first post ,thats how it always seems to be .but in the end it all seems relevent realy to the original question set , thats the beauty of this site .

John H
11-11-2010, 17:38
yes and about legal cover for traveling in the e.u not in the uk .but during a post we all seem to go a little off the original point of the first post ,thats how it always seems to be .but in the end it all seems relevent realy to the original question set , thats the beauty of this site .

I'm all for wandering off/around the point, it just seemed to me that some people had misunderstood the question - which is different from taking the thread off in another direction.

Mick H
16-11-2010, 17:46
Legal cover isn't necessary. I cancelled ours when I renewed the motorhome insurance at the beginning of Nov, and saved 25.

How do I know it isn't necessary? Two years ago a truck came out of a side road and stuck our car causing a fair bit of damage to the rear nearside.
We hadn't any legal cover so I looked on the web and found several companies that would act for us at nil cost.
One of these did us proud and sorted everything out, presumably recovering their costs from the other party.

Incidentally, when I recently cancelled our M/H legal cover, the insurers asked if I would be interested at 15, instead of the quoted 25.

John H
16-11-2010, 17:57
Legal cover isn't necessary. I cancelled ours when I renewed the motorhome insurance at the beginning of Nov, and saved 25.

How do I know it isn't necessary? Two years ago a truck came out of a side road and stuck our car causing a fair bit of damage to the rear nearside.
We hadn't any legal cover so I looked on the web and found several companies that would act for us at nil cost.
One of these did us proud and sorted everything out, presumably recovering their costs from the other party.

Incidentally, when I recently cancelled our M/H legal cover, the insurers asked if I would be interested at 15, instead of the quoted 25.

Can't argue with that - either use a "no win, no fee" solicitor - or marry one as I did!

mandrake
16-11-2010, 18:55

Incidentally, when I recently cancelled our M/H legal cover, the insurers asked if I would be interested at 15, instead of the quoted 25. thats fine if the other party have insurance ,and enough assets to pay. but consider this the other party has no insurance, no assets, no means whatsoever then are these so called free solicitors no win no fee boyos are they going to take the case on ,also who is going to pay your damages injury any losses and the solicitors fees which are considerable they dont work for nowt its everybodies decicion ,but having experiance of an uninsured driver accident that lived in a house with hardly an intact window in his home if i hadent have had my legal cover i would have lost everything as my car was a total loss . as i say i know that i am fully covered for an extra 25 quid a year and save that by upping my exess

John H
16-11-2010, 19:05
The problem is, Mandrake, that if the other party has no insurance and no assets then the lawyer provided by your 25 legal cover will be no more successful in getting anything out of him that a no win no fee lawyer.

mandrake
16-11-2010, 19:26
i know it worked for me and that is all i am realy bothered about, with my cover i know i am fully covered and may i say having had experiance of the matter i no which road i would rather go down

John H
17-11-2010, 07:23
Good luck to you mate - who are you insured with?

mandrake
17-11-2010, 10:08
i am with caravan guard .185 a year full comp but i pay my legal cover seperate so i suppose my premium is 210 not bad realy .was selling the van and getting something smaller bongo size but found out the only thing i could realy get was an import ,but could not get a decent insurance quote and a lot of insures wont touch them .so sticking with the bedford .

John H
17-11-2010, 11:03
i am with caravan guard .185 a year full comp but i pay my legal cover seperate so i suppose my premium is 210 not bad realy .was selling the van and getting something smaller bongo size but found out the only thing i could realy get was an import ,but could not get a decent insurance quote and a lot of insures wont touch them .so sticking with the bedford .

Sounds good - I'll have to look them up. Thanks.

coolasluck
17-11-2010, 12:38
I am insured by chaucer 191 quid a year with free legal protection.
Its wrong really but i couldnt be arsed to shop around this year,and i did not think i would find much better anyhow.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS