PDA

View Full Version : Changes to French highway code.

Nolly
21-11-2010, 13:54
Changes to the highway code in France mean that pedestrians now have right of way over cars when crossing the road.

The new laws are not restricted to pedestrian crossings and mean that you must give way when a pedestrian gives you a clear intention that they wish to cross the road. A clear intention is defined as the pedestrian taking a step forward at the kerbside or giving a hand gesture to imply that they wish to cross.

The new rule does not apply less than 50 metres away from a pedestrian crossing.

Failure to ignore the pedestrian could mean a fine of up to 135 or four points on your license.

Taken from The Complete Guide to France - Travel, Living in France & Expat - Lost-in-France.com (http://www.lost-in-france.com)

Regards Nolly.

Higgy
21-11-2010, 14:34
Has anyone told the French. rofl

Nolly
21-11-2010, 15:02
Has anyone told the French. rofl

My sentiments exactly Higgy, you wont see a native stepping even onto a crossing until they are sure vehicles are going to stop especially around lunchtime. Jan was cut up on a crossing only last week and a car coming from one direction had actually stopped to let her cross.:(
Regards Nolly.

lebesset
21-11-2010, 15:10
well , don't agree with that nolly !
in my experience people won't put a foot on the crossing unless you have actually stopped ...and they don't look too confident even then !

jann
21-11-2010, 15:21
I understood that the law changed quite a few years ago so that pedestrians had the right of way on crossings. It is more likely now that someone will stop for you, but not guaranteed!!! I certainly don't cross until I'm certain/ When driving , if i stop for someone, they look hesitant. I would't try to stop any driver away from a crossing, never mind a french one!!!

Mastodon
21-11-2010, 16:15
Does that apply to motorways too? :D

Nolly
21-11-2010, 17:01
I understood that the law changed quite a few years ago so that pedestrians had the right of way on crossings. It is more likely now that someone will stop for you, but not guaranteed!!! I certainly don't cross until I'm certain/ When driving , if i stop for someone, they look hesitant. I would't try to stop any driver away from a crossing, never mind a french one!!!
Hi Jann.
Yes the law did change a few years ago for pedestrian crossings & again it made very little difference towards courtesy to pedestrians. Thats why pedestrians treat crossings now as they did then.:(
Regards Nolly.

Nolly
21-11-2010, 17:07
Does that apply to motorways too? :D

Hi Mastodon.
Only those with 4 lanes in both directions;)
Regards Nolly

Mastodon
21-11-2010, 21:12
Hi Mastodon.
Only those with 4 lanes in both directions;)
Regards Nolly
Now there's a sport I could sell tickets for :D

ostersund
27-11-2010, 00:41
Well I find this information very reassuring for the French. You should try driving in Belgium where a lot of people have a Death Wish,they just walk out in front of vehicles
without warning & that applies to crossings & the normal roads. The ability to be Physic is a real advantage.

defitzi
11-12-2010, 19:23
Yes but the Belgian motyorists generally always do give way to pedestrians and to CYCLISTS!
Touch either and ....beware-consequences are very very.....
Real problem is speed 0f cyclists an d 49 cc scoots which are allowed use cysle lanes and some cyclists even go faster than they do.....
Othyer big big problem is turn ing in across a cycle lane and whizzz there is a cyclist really belting it up inside you- this is compounded when U are driving rhd....it really is scary -number of times I've almost and this on LHd as well as RHD......

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS