PDA

View Full Version : Wildcamping in Wales

eire
27-11-2010, 13:30
Hello,

I'm from Germany and new in this forum. I drive an old Hymer S 660 (Merc) and intend a trip around christmas to Wales with two of my children. We are invited on a farm near Tregaer/Raglan (Monmouthshire).

Can you recommend a map or something listed wild campsites? Or do you have any other advises for me? We start from Dover. On our way back from Wales we intend a stop-over in London.

Thank you very much. And apologize the bad english.

Greetings from Cologne

tranivanman
27-11-2010, 13:46
Hi and welcome
it depends on how long your trip is for! North Wales has the mountains, Mid Wales has got a bit of everything, hills, valleys, whereas South Wales has more industry and commerce.
From Raglan you could work your way up through to Mid Wales via possibly Herefordshire, a lovely county then onto the Pembrookshire coast down to the Gower then the M4 to London.
I'm sure others will make suggestions for you as well, enjoy your trip.

tranivanman

maingate
27-11-2010, 14:28
Hi and welcome eire,

I would check the weather forecast before you come over here. We have a lot of snow, which is very unusual this early in the Winter. It may have all gone by Christmas so good luck.

One thing to remember about London, they have an Emissions Zone. If your vehicle is quite old and over 3.5 tonne, there are big penalties for going into the centre of London. I do not know how it will affect a foreign registered vehicle and you might be OK. The safest thing would be to use a campsite on the outskirts of London and travel in by road or rail.

Good luck.

Nolly
27-11-2010, 16:08
Hello,

I'm from Germany and new in this forum. I drive an old Hymer S 660 (Merc) and intend a trip around christmas to Wales with two of my children. We are invited on a farm near Tregaer/Raglan (Monmouthshire).

Can you recommend a map or something listed wild campsites? Or do you have any other advises for me? We start from Dover. On our way back from Wales we intend a stop-over in London.

Greetings from Cologne

Hi Eire, & welcome.
We visited South Wales this summer and found no problems with wild camping. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Wouldn't know what to expect in winter but I'm sure somebody on here will point you in the right direction. Might be worth considering pub stopovers.
I am only guessing but with the strict emission control in Germany you shouldn't have a problem with London, but once again there will be somebody on here better placed then me to advise you on that one. Maingates suggestion seemed the most sensible to stay on the outskirts & hop on to public transport. What ever you do enjoy your trip.
Regards Nolly.

caspar
27-11-2010, 16:58
We live in South Wales and travel extensively through south, mid and north wales at all times of year. Why not join the site? You get access to all the places on here then - well worth 15.00. You'll save that in a couple of nights and there's loads in Wales. If you need specific ones beyond what's on there, pm me and I would think I'd be able to suggest somewhere for you.

Canalsman
27-11-2010, 18:07
Why not join the site? You get access to all the places on here then - well worth 15.00. You'll save that in a couple of nights and there's loads in Wales.

Good suggestion - almost 2,000 places throughout England, Wales and Scotland are in the Wildcamping Map & POI file download.

You can view spots using Google Earth and Streetview online, and download the POI (points of interest) data to most satnav devices ...

AndyC
27-11-2010, 18:33
Not wild camping but there are some motorhome stopovers listed on my site here: Overnight stopovers for motorhomes in the UK (http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/ukaires.shtml)

Might be useful.

AndyC

eire
28-11-2010, 16:58
...for the answers. I find a lot of good suggestions.

The Hymer has 3,5 tonne (original 3,85 tonne) and was built in 1994. So any Emmisions-Zones will be a problem.

In London I prefer the Christall Palace Campsite . We have been there 5 years ago. If you don't have another idea.

Besides that: Is Cardiff worth a day-trip or even spend new-years-eve there? It seems to be not that far away from our host-farm, and maybe there is a train or bus running to the city-centre. One of my daugter is 20 years old and would prefer the city and not only the countryside.

Good luck to you all.

Willi

John H
29-11-2010, 13:41
Crystal Palace campsite is within the Low Emissions zone. To check what is in and what is not, look up the Transport for London website. Happy travels

eire
29-11-2010, 18:17
Thank you, John.

freelander
29-11-2010, 21:03
Hello,

Greetings from Cologne

Hi Eire, Trains from Raglan to Cardiff aren't very frequent. There is a nice camp site in the centre of Cardiff it only has 43 spaces so gets full very quickly. For peak times like new year the charges are 22.00 with electricity but you will need to book it now. Look it up on the net " Cardiff Caravan Park" If you come 40miles further south, Swansea where I live is also a nice city, with good night life for your daughter.

freelander
29-11-2010, 21:24
Hi Eire, Trains/ buses from raglan to Cardiff aren't very frequent. There is a nice camp site in the centre of Cardiff it only has 43 spaces, so gets full very quickly. At peak times like New Year the charges are 22.00 including electricity but you will need to book it now. Look it up on the net "Cardiff Caravan Park". If you come 40miles further south, Swansea where I live is also a nice city with good night life for your daughter.

grath
30-11-2010, 17:50
Maybe of some use to you

Low Emission Zone | Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/)

https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces?referrer=lez

Lez zone - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=Lez+zone&btnG=Google+Search)

Fuels & Environment : London Low emissions zone (LEZ) - The AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/london-low-emissions-zone.html)

mandrake
30-11-2010, 23:37
Hi Eire, Trains/ buses from raglan to Cardiff aren't very frequent. There is a nice camp site in the centre of Cardiff it only has 43 spaces, so gets full very quickly. At peak times like New Year the charges are 22.00 including electricity but you will need to book it now. Look it up on the net "Cardiff Caravan Park". If you come 40miles further south, Swansea where I live is also a nice city with good night life for your daughter.

if you do go to swansea you can stay at mumbles on knab rock car park ,its not far from swansea city center about 4 miles, a short bus ride ,or get a taxi .in fact we have walked it, the car park is free after 7 pm untill 8 am

eire
04-12-2010, 19:32
Hello mandrake and freelander,

thank you very much. If you prefer Swansea, tell me some more about overnight-places to spend new-years-eve. It sounds great.

If it`s possible, we`ll meet you.

Greetings

Willi

caspar
04-12-2010, 21:13
...for the answers. I find a lot of good suggestions.

The Hymer has 3,5 tonne (original 3,85 tonne) and was built in 1994. So any Emmisions-Zones will be a problem.

In London I prefer the Christall Palace Campsite . We have been there 5 years ago. If you don't have another idea.

Besides that: Is Cardiff worth a day-trip or even spend new-years-eve there? It seems to be not that far away from our host-farm, and maybe there is a train or bus running to the city-centre. One of my daugter is 20 years old and would prefer the city and not only the countryside.

Good luck to you all.

Willi

Cardiff is a very lively city. We live about half an hour away. Don't be put off by the comment of South Wales being more commercial - while true it is also full of beautiful countryside and spots.

You'd be very welcome to come over for a cup of coffee with us and I'd show you some places on a map. We do all times of year in an old 1985 Merc 2.4D Autotrail - I'd live in it. Still think it would be 15 well spent to get the info on here. I know I've posted around 200 in the past year, 90% of which are in Wales and there's hundreds more.

mandrake
05-12-2010, 00:08
Cardiff is a very lively city. We live about half an hour away. Don't be put off by the comment of South Wales being more commercial - while true it is also full of beautiful countryside and spots.

You'd be very welcome to come over for a cup of coffee with us and I'd show you some places on a map. We do all times of year in an old 1985 Merc 2.4D Autotrail - I'd live in it. Still think it would be 15 well spent to get the info on here. I know I've posted around 200 in the past year, 90% of which are in Wales and there's hundreds more. got to agree about s/wales some fab scenery. as casper says 15 to join and lots of info good value .if you do go to mumbles you are on the gower coast you have got to see it fantastic we fulltimed down here and decided to stop down here ,and there are so many places to wild camp down here .its one big wild camping spot

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS