PDA

View Full Version : Insurrance Dilema

freelander
28-11-2010, 16:56
Got a LWB VW Transporter that my son has been converting i.e. side windows, rock n roll bed. full kitchen nd wardrobe. Insurrance is due tomorrow but I don't think Tesco will insure campers! Don't want to tell them that these modifications have been made because I'm having difficulty getting another company to insure it. Sure term wouldn't even give me a quote until I have gas certificate and told me that a rock n roll bed wasn't classed as fixed! Does the van have to be registered with DVLA as a camper before one can get camper insurrance? Any ideas of how to approach this would be great.

mandrake
28-11-2010, 17:22
have a word with adrian flux there the ones and there pretty cheap .

westbay
28-11-2010, 17:22
Phone Frank Pickles.

John Thompson
28-11-2010, 19:09
Comfort Insurance.

freelander
29-11-2010, 20:19
Hi, Thanks for your replies managed to insure it with Adrian Flux they were really helpful.
295.00 fully comp and 380 with uk and european breakdown. Far cheaper than Tesco's renewal for a bog standard van without windscreen cover!

Firefox
01-12-2010, 13:26
Yes I'm with Flux. They don't ask too many questions, and are cheapish

Jetset Willy
08-12-2010, 09:31
Hi, Thanks for your replies managed to insure it with Adrian Flux they were really helpful.
295.00 fully comp and 380 with uk and european breakdown. Far cheaper than Tesco's renewal for a bog standard van without windscreen cover!

I drive a ''P' reg, self converted, T4 Transporter, fully converted by myself, and my Insurance renewal with Flux is 188, fully comp. I didnt take the EU breakdown as most of them only cover vehicles under 10 years old and the cover also states the van must have been regularly serviced by an approved garage.

You need to register your van with the DVLA for many reasons. One of which is, if you dont you are limited to 60 MPH whereas as a PLG you can do 70 on Motorways and dual carriageways

AndyC
08-12-2010, 12:51
I drive a ''P' reg, self converted, T4 Transporter, fully converted by myself, and my Insurance renewal with Flux is 188, fully comp. I didnt take the EU breakdown as most of them only cover vehicles under 10 years old and the cover also states the van must have been regularly serviced by an approved garage.

You need to register your van with the DVLA for many reasons. One of which is, if you dont you are limited to 60 MPH whereas as a PLG you can do 70 on Motorways and dual carriageways
Most vans of up to 7500kg GVW are limited to 50mph on single carriageways, 60mph on dual carriageways, and 70mph on motorways. The exceptions are car derived vans which are under 2000kg GVW, these are subject to the normal car limits.

As JW says, re-registering a converted van as a 'motor caravan' changes the applicable speed limits. Motor caravans with an unladen weight of up to 3050kg are subject to normal car limits, over 3050kg they are subject to the van limits.

AndyC

Firefox
17-12-2010, 22:38
To be honest, the stuff about faster speed limits is technically and legally correct, but in practice the 3300 and 3500 "White Van" is one of the fastest vehicles on the road.

I've seen Sprinters and Masters regularly pass marked police cars at 70 mph on dual carriageways (not motorways) and not get pulled. I don't think this particular speed limit is enforced. And when the marked police cars are not around the vans are doing 80-90mph!

The other thing about faster speed limits for motorhomes is that it is illogical. For example a motorhome will usually be at or close it's max weight with the conversion weight and the payload on board.

Whereas Mr White Van will much of the time be empty or half empty when he has shifted a few deliveries. His stopping distance is of course less with a partial load

So in safety terms, the Motorhomes should really be made to go slower!

mandrake
17-12-2010, 23:00
who needs speed in a motor home ,after all arnt they for leasure and to do something at your leasure means take your time .i have seen large motor homes on the motor way hoofing it at well on and above the legal limit but then again if it read 120 mph on the speedo some think its mandatory to achive it. get a beddy 50 max comfortable:D they can do 70 but you only do that once :eek::eek::eek:

Firefox
18-12-2010, 00:25
Too true! My outfit will do well over 90 but pretty much all the time I'm at 60 in 6th gear on the motorway (only just over 2000 RPM).

What with diesel at 125p+ a gallon now it makes sense!

Beemer
19-12-2010, 16:05
Well, I have only just realised that my outfit has a speed limit of 50mph on single lane carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways!!!
Would have been embarrassing if I had been stopped by the police.
I have had the 'van up to 90mph on the autobahn ...with the doors wanting to burst open, it was not nice so the speed was reduced to a more sedate 60mph using the cruise control.
I believe the van could go faster, as there was still some 'pedal' to go!
Hate to think what the mpg was at that moment though!
I will be a lot slower now, but just needed to verify what I had under the bonnet (2.8tdi).

mandrake
19-12-2010, 16:41
we all have to see what our motors WILL DO, but when they put a caravan body with a overhed bed space hanging a foot or so over the front then its no wonder the van drives like a drunken frog swimming in custard , and refuses to give anything near a half decent mpg . i had a petrol renault safrane 2.5 turbo and when driving at 60 mph on the motorway with cruse control it returned over 40mpg on the computer readout so i tried full tilt 130mph and some still left not even 10mpg in fact it fell to 0 at times,and handled not perfect .

shawbags
26-08-2011, 11:05
Th whole idea of re-registering your van to me is to make shure that your vehicle is legally and correctly insured for its purpose,i sit at 50-55 on the motorway giving 35-38 MPG ( Citroen relay 1.9 diesel).
When i go away i like to take things nice and easy,driving as fast as you can and eating more fuel does not make sense to me,chill out on thr right foot guys,life seems better at a slower pace :D,Shawbags.

channa
26-08-2011, 12:36
Speed issues aside, the important thing is you have declared to your insurer all modifications. I mentioned elsewhere insurance is a contract of utmost good faith, in other words anything that can effect premium or indeed acceptance of risk needs to be declared.

The reason I say this is for hopefully the right reasons i.e if you have a claim and you havent declared the modifications, expect a very lengthy and tedious time in arriving at a settlement

Channa

Squibby
26-08-2011, 16:50
You should be wary of using cruse control to much, it may well be very convenient on a long haul, In my time fleeing up and down this great land of ours, most weekends from Portsmouth to Edinburgh (when not working away).

I have found that most of them return a lower MPG figure than when I was fully in control of the throtle, now I don't use cruse control, some of them are so bad that they are comstantly on and off the gogo juice just trying to remain in the pre-programmed limits set by the manufacture either side of the speed you set the cruse control to.

try using the right foot drive only on a run you have done regularly with the cruse control on, you may like the savings, but if you have a real pucka system on you vehicle you may not notice much differance, as the newer systems have got more sensors and finer control peramiters as the systems have advanced.

Squibby.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS