PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Markets In Germany

NicknClair
20-01-2011, 18:02
Sorry guys, but with the job I have to plan early!!!!
Anyone got any recommendations for the Xmas Markets in Germany?
Wife wants to go, so planning way way in advance and booking boat around 27 November.
Any downsides/places to avoid will also be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

David & Ann
20-01-2011, 18:34
There loads all over Germany. The best one I have been to is in Dresden. Open market place by the Frauen Kirche (Church). Park by the river ELBE. Free parking. Water from anywhere. Toilet, use the public toilet. Market is best in the evenings to early hours of the morning. During the day, visit The "Zwinger" and many fantastic architectures around the centre of the city. It is a beautiful place to visit. Worth the long trip.

NicknClair
20-01-2011, 19:55
Thanks very much for the info, how long did you stay there?? Have you had any experience with the Bonn Market? Was told that was another good one to take a look at.

David & Ann
20-01-2011, 22:45
I am German/British. Father Irish, Mother German. Born in Hamburg. Been living in England since 2005. Bonn and Berlin Xmas markets are also great. Parking will be a problem as they are very condensed cities. Hamburg has a great market too, especially every Sunday morning (outside of Xmas) it is called the fish market. It is the largest in Germany where traders from all over Europe sell their goods and wares and tares.
Back to Dresden, I have been there atleast 4 to 5 times in the last 30 years. I find it very vibrant and full of entertainment for young and old.You will never be bored, day or night. I take it, your main concern would be parking for your MH and over-nighting. If Dresden has an "Umwelt plakette" law for the city,( I don't know) then I am afraid you may not be permitted into the centre. I have seen posts in the past that can give you a list of cities that have this Law. I know for a fact Hamburg does not. You have a little time to iron out these problems by looking it up on the Internet.

NicknClair
21-01-2011, 15:54
Thanks

Nick

Fleming
21-01-2011, 19:15
Also a very, very, big X-mas market (on 6 locations) in Cologne (Köln). The MH-'Stellplatz" is outside the 'Umweltzone' but is usually crowded. 65pl, 8€/n, E 6.98325, N 50.96275.
There is also a famous market in Aachen. Stellplatz: Branderhoferweg, 46pl, 14€/n, 50˚45' 40" N / 06˚06' 11" E
A small but very pitoresk market is held in the cosy little town of Monschau (near the Belgian border) the Stellplatz is 5€/night with services.

NicknClair
22-01-2011, 07:55
Thanks very much, taken note and do some more research.

David & Ann
22-01-2011, 08:34
Hi Nickjvanbitz
Go to Google, type in "German Christmas Markets", hit Enter key. You have all you need to know. Hope this helps.

NicknClair
22-01-2011, 09:49
Those withexperience of this. Can someone tell me regarding the emission stickers?? I'm guessing it's a congestion charge of some kind? Is it essesial to what me and the wife are planning?

David & Ann
22-01-2011, 13:01
Hi Nickjvanbitz.
Go to google, type in "UMWELTPLAKETTE" hit enter key, there you have it. If in German, click on the British flag, you have it in English.
The cheapest way is to get your Umwelt/feinstaube plakatte from most Gas stations, MOT (TÜV) centers or Tyre repair shops (Like Pit Stop) It will cost you €5 or 6. This allows you to park up just outside the city center limits. I don't think they will issue you a city center disc as I preume your MH has not got German Reg: plates. Trensport system, Buses, Trains are run like clock work. Very easy. I hope this helps. If you need more info: just post.

alisonwo
09-08-2013, 17:14
You must try Nurnburg market its the oldest Xmas market and very good. We did the Xmas markets a few years back and enjoued the trip immensely, please make sure your van is adequately insulated though. Most Uk produced motorhomes are not as we found out to our cost, all the water in our MV froze, you also need winter tyres or chains in Germany, very important. Try also the Medieval one in Munich.

rottiontour
09-08-2013, 21:00
x-mas market in Monschau is not so large, but nice, see this
Weihnachtsmarkt Monschau *** (http://www.monschau-weihnachtsmarkt.de/en/home.html)

or this,
Monschau im Winter - Bild & Foto von Ulrich Strauch aus Eifel und Region Aachen - Fotografie (20315661) | fotocommunity (http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/2236/display/20315661)

but always depending on snow

be

rommel
27-10-2013, 17:55
The Stelplatze in Koln gets very busy in December ,there is a car park outside it that we have stayed on but our favourite place is the road that runs along side the river, as you leave Koln centre in the direction of the Stelplatze take the ramp down to the river ( the one after the river cruise embarkation point ) just before the Axa Insurance building, there are usually a few British tour coaches there but down stream there has always been plenty of room, a little bit of noise from the barges that pass by but not disturbing we have been for the last nine years! PS you can't access it from the North bound section of the dual carriageway .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS