N54'009'307
W003'04'620

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4727.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4725.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4721-1.jpg

grath
29-01-2011, 15:14
Whitehaven.
Drive along the harbour keeping the water to your right.
Past a couple of car parks on your left and up a little hill to the end of the road.
Costs about 3.30 overnight. 1800 hrs to I thing 0800 hrs

N54'32'943
W003'35'896

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4740.jpg

grath
29-01-2011, 15:16
St Bees ,just south of Whitehaven
Park on the car park overlooking the beach.
FOC overnight on carpark on the right.
N54'29'459
W003'36'327

grath
29-01-2011, 15:46
Also possible to overnight in Haverigg, either opposite the inshore lifeboat station (small area) but better still on the other side of the river on the right before the Hoseasons holiday village.
Do not park on the dunes as well signed No Camping.
Also Millom Rugby Club in Haverigg had a C/S with elec 10.
Good pub with good food in town

John Thompson
29-01-2011, 15:58
Also possible to overnight in Haverigg, either opposite the inshore lifeboat station (small area) but better still on the other side of the river on the right before the Hoseasons holiday village.
Do not park on the dunes as well signed No Camping.
Also Millom Rugby Club in Haverigg had a C/S with elec 10.
Good pub with good food in town

Hi Grath

At Haverigg over the river you can go to the gates of the big site and turn right, this takes you along the sea wall. It is possible to park along there either side of the lighthouse. Nice small beach at the other end. This is the old Iron works site and there are places to pull in and not be seen.

John

grath
29-01-2011, 16:05
Thanks John, I think I know where you mean, I think you are meaning the same place as me. On the right just before the gates. If you go through the gates there is a long gravel sort of pier before the water ski club?
To be honest we stayed at the Rugby club for a couple of nights as our leisure battery went belly up and could not really run the geny all night and it was a little frosty cold!

Is it possible that the Holseasons site has extended since you were there as it is pretty big. I think the iron works is part of or through the site now. I don't know what it was like as never been there before

grath
29-01-2011, 16:51
John, I have just google earth it and I see where you mean. I did not know that the track could be driven on or even go right around.
Thanks.

Canalsman
29-01-2011, 18:04
Thanks for all those places Grath :)

The first one at Bardsea is already in the database.

The St Bees car park can be seen here 5429.459'N, 336.327'W - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/63j6lm3)

There is another car park to the south of St Bees, also on the beach, that looks promising just here 5428.899'N, 335.504'W - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/6bva7ey)

The two places in Haverigg are here Haverigg, Millom, UK - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4lcwfws) and here Haverigg, Millom, UK - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4kl9ahv)

I've added all these places to the Wild Camping Map & POI database.

Regards

Chris

christine
29-01-2011, 22:10
It's Barrow-in-Furness and much of the coast along near Bardsea has no camping signs. It is also right next to the main coastal road.

The area around Haverigg by the lagoon is a nature reserve. Many years ago we used to free camp at the end of the rough road past the iron ore workings, by the lovely little beach. I think you can still drive all the way round the lagoon but be aware that it is a nature reserve and probably has a warden of some sort.

As well as the rugby club CL I think there are two more CL's in Millom.

barryd
30-01-2011, 00:08
He wasnt camping, he was parking!

No camping to me means not tents or tuggers.

grath
30-01-2011, 07:10
It's Barrow-in-Furness and much of the coast along near Bardsea has no camping signs. It is also right next to the main coastal road.

The area around Haverigg by the lagoon is a nature reserve. Many years ago we used to free camp at the end of the rough road past the iron ore workings, by the lovely little beach. I think you can still drive all the way round the lagoon but be aware that it is a nature reserve and probably has a warden of some sort.

As well as the rugby club CL I think there are two more CL's in Millom.

There were no signs where we were on the coast rd (I looked) and the only signs that we did see I posted about (in this thread) on the dunes at Haverigg. Although there was a Trani Camper camping there.
There was also another C/L and C/S in Haverigg, but the Rugby club is in the best position.

barryd
30-01-2011, 08:37
I think January is a superb time for wilding in England. Nobody about, loads of empty places to stay. After New Year we spent a couple of nights at Glenridding in the Lake District (Ulswater) on the car park right next to the steamers and lake. Its a pay and display, there were no signs saying no overnighting (that I could see) but I imagine in summer it would be impossible. Nobody bothered us.
Even the boy racers dont seem to be out in January!

grath
30-01-2011, 08:44
I think January is a superb time for wilding in England. Nobody about, loads of empty places to stay. After New Year we spent a couple of nights at Glenridding in the Lake District (Ulswater) on the car park right next to the steamers and lake. Its a pay and display, there were no signs saying no overnighting (that I could see) but I imagine in summer it would be impossible. Nobody bothered us.
Even the boy racers dont seem to be out in January!

We had a couple of boy racers, well not really racers but the boom boom variety at Whitehaven:mad:
We did intend to do a few more places, but as I might have said earlier, our leisure battery went belly up!

barryd
30-01-2011, 09:19
Is the boom boom dougnut thing a british thing do you think as I havent noticed it anywhere else in Europe? I suppose its exactly what we did when we were kids, they just seem more menacing these days or am I just turning into an old fart?

grath
30-01-2011, 10:18
Is the boom boom dougnut thing a british thing do you think as I havent noticed it anywhere else in Europe? I suppose its exactly what we did when we were kids, they just seem more menacing these days or am I just turning into an old fart?
Your a bl**dy old fart:p just like me:cool:

maingate
30-01-2011, 21:14
We have just returned from a very short trip to East Yorkshire. It was meant to be longer but the heating developed a fault and the windscreen wipers seized up. :(:(

No boy racers in Whitby or Scalby. Our last night was spent on a friends drive in Skipsea. Canalsman can not have that one. I cannot afford to lose the last few friends I have. :D

We called into Bridlington to visit Tesco. Keep away from the place, it is the pothole capital of the UK.

As Barry says, it is a great time of year to be out and about. Hopefully we will be out and about again very soon.

grath
30-01-2011, 21:40
I see that Cumbria has extended east;)
seems we both had a couple of small problems:( easily rectifiable at home:cool:

davecumbria
01-04-2011, 08:06
Hi
Please be aware of the overnight camping and parking restrictions along the coast between Barrow-in-Furness and Ulverston. Here is an example of one of the signs. These signs appear at regular intervals all along this coastline. :-(
Cheers2027
PS. As this is the first time I have posted on here, I hope I have attached the pic correctly.

maingate
01-04-2011, 11:16
Thanks for the info Dave and welcome to the site.

We are off over that way next week (all being well) and that is not what I wanted to hear. :D

Never mind, I am sure we will find somewhere.

grath
01-04-2011, 12:09
Hi
Please be aware of the overnight camping and parking restrictions along the coast between Barrow-in-Furness and Ulverston. Here is an example of one of the signs. These signs appear at regular intervals all along this coastline. :-(
Cheers2027
PS. As this is the first time I have posted on here, I hope I have attached the pic correctly.

Thanks davecumbria and again welcome to the wildside.
There were no signs in the immediate vicinity where we stayed, however I did see signs further along the road towards Barrow, where the road or the area between the road and the sea got narrower.
We stayed in a set back area and if coming from Ullverston it was when you first see the sea you go around a right hand 90 deg bend (there is also parking here) and in a few hundred yards there was a pub. I cant remember if the pull in that we used was before the pub or after, I think after, but it was well set back and very quiet.
I repeat there were no signs here, however maybe some one had previously removed them?
Thanks for the info.

Canalsman
01-04-2011, 17:33
Hi
Cheers2027

Thanks for the information ... I have removed 5 spots, from the database, along the coast between the grid references given :(

It's worth noting that there are other inland options very near on Birkrigg Common.

Regards

Chris

christine
03-04-2011, 14:53
There are bye-laws on Birkrigg Common regarding no overnighting, I am pretty sure.

blondieandi
07-04-2011, 23:03
The south of St Bees Seamill Lane has a tunnel which you need to go through before you get to the beach, no overnighting sign but the tunnel is narrow.

VeeDub
15-06-2011, 20:56
Hi
Cheers2027

Hi Dave ... and that has just puzzled me. One of the bye-laws forbids 'trading'. What about the Ice-Cream Van (complete with the wind-break surrounded seating area that is always there every weekend I wonder?

:beer:

dally
05-05-2013, 12:16
Just a quick update on the coast Road. We have now stayed on this site opposite the tea hut 3 times now without any problems. 1st time I was parked against the Bye Law sign but never saw it till the following day.:rolleyes2: now we tend to come back on ourselves a bit so we are behind the trees and away from the road.

Just stayed there last night along with 2 other vans and it's an idyllic place to stop.

Of course it's up to individuals to decide if they feel comfortable breaking the bye laws but as I live around here anyway I really don't think you'll be bothered by anyone. :wave:

Mul
05-05-2013, 16:10

POI Admin
05-05-2013, 17:15
This got me worried unless the poi comes with a health warning. The single track road Seamill Lane, leading under the LOW bridge has nowhere to turn if ya cant fit under. Having lived there from experience id say youd get nowt bigger than say a wv t4 equiv, mebbe not even that, under the LOW bridge.
Surely pois should be approriate and not just google map grabs ?

Forgot to mention it aint much more than car width wide, tight squeeze too, unsuitable for most sorry.

Thanks for the info - I've removed it from the POIs ... (It did have a warning about the low bridge - but it's apparent that it is very low and hence not suitable.)

seadogjon
20-11-2013, 16:30
regarding bye law signs at bardsea,i dont think anyone would bother you,,after all the ice cream van has a licence to trade.no trading is one of bye laws. if folks dont like parking there just head back in ulverston direction a couple hundred yards turn right signed to kingfisher factory,just past factory is hard standing carpark by the seawall ,peaceful spot, dont think theres any signs,but been a while..might be a poi. there are no other bye law signs for the rest of coast road to barrow or berkrigg that i can find..may be wrong, we live on the road and will keep a lookout..look out for boy racers, they regularly hurl their cars into the scenery.. jon

thairover
24-08-2014, 23:07
Was there Friday (Bardsea) no signs visible on any of the three parking section on that stretch of the coast road.
http://i58.tinypic.com/21dpels.jpg
Did not stay as we we had decided the 'Bay horse' at the canal foot was for us, did two nights there.
http://i59.tinypic.com/21jx5sl.jpg

thairover
24-08-2014, 23:14

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS