PDA

View Full Version : Wells next the Sea and Hunstanton.

Stuart Tracy and Bob
30-01-2011, 09:59
We had a trip over to the north coast of Norfolk in October and had a night at both Wells and Hunstanton. In Wells we stayed by the Village Green overnight and were undisturbed. If you venture over that way and enjoy a pint, then walk down to the harbour in Wells and use the Fleece Pub. Just over the way is a sailing ship that is a restaurant. It looks like fun. We had earlier had a Pub Tea near the Green. In Hunstanton we slept along the coast road with a few other vans just a ten minute walk from town. Great views over the sea, but the road is quite high and catches the wind, so prepare to be rocked to sleep.

Campervanman
31-01-2011, 20:34
Lovely places Sunny Hunny & Wells and not too far for us either. Bet you found the coast road narrow in places. :eek:

Stuart Tracy and Bob
01-02-2011, 18:01
Lovely places Sunny Hunny & Wells and not too far for us either. Bet you found the coast road narrow in places. :eek:

The answer to that one is YES !. Not only narrow but rutted and uneaven too, just the thing you want when one of the three of us (Bob that is), is a sometimes travelsick Collie. On this occasion he lived up to the billing i'm afraid, the poor hound. He soon forgot about it though when we stopped and played on the many beaches along that coast. But we did like Wells and would recomend it to anyone for a night or two.

Regards, Stuart

Nosha
02-02-2011, 19:14
Lovely area, we have stopped at Pinewoods in Wells, but they have a 2nt min' charge, so your recommendation sounds good. Which bit of coast road did you stop at in Hunny? As the road up by the lighthouse is no parking from 10pm to 8am (or similar) to prevent camping outside the flats. Lat time we went along to Thornham and stopped in the Lifeboat pub carpark - great food but quite expensive. Have also stopped in the carpark/picnic area on the main road from Sherringham to Hunny (the one with the toilet block and snack trailer).

Stuart Tracy and Bob
03-02-2011, 12:33
Lovely area, we have stopped at Pinewoods in Wells, but they have a 2nt min' charge, so your recommendation sounds good. Which bit of coast road did you stop at in Hunny? As the road up by the lighthouse is no parking from 10pm to 8am (or similar) to prevent camping outside the flats. Lat time we went along to Thornham and stopped in the Lifeboat pub carpark - great food but quite expensive. Have also stopped in the carpark/picnic area on the main road from Sherringham to Hunny (the one with the toilet block and snack trailer).

Hi,

We slept just on the road by the flats you've mentioned, but there were no signs barring parking at all. We could see the amusement arcades etc just down the hill and walked down later that evening for a pint. We parked in between two other vans, one Brit and one Dutch van who we spoke to earlier and they said they'd slept there before. If there had been a sign up about No Overnight Parking etc we would have left and found somewhere else. so maybe we were just lucky.

Regards, Stuart.

Campervanman
04-02-2011, 19:13
Next time try overnighting in the forests just off the Lynn road, (A149) turning off towards the Village of Wolferton once you have passed Snettisham. There are some nice parking spots around there for forest walks, might be a bit spooky once the sun goes down though. ;)

Canalsman
04-02-2011, 21:38
Next time try overnighting in the forests just off the Lynn road, (A149) turning off towards the Village of Wolferton once you have passed Snettisham. There are some nice parking spots around there for forest walks, might be a bit spooky once the sun goes down though. ;)

Thanks for this suggestion - I used to live in the area and I'd forgotten about these spots.

Now added to database.

PS Whilst there, a 'must see' is the disused Wolferton Station.

transitphil
07-02-2011, 19:02
Lat time we went along to Thornham and stopped in the Lifeboat pub carpark - great food but quite expensive.

I agree that the lifeboat is a great pub, good tho' expensive food, but be careful if staying along the road from there - when the sign says beware of flooding, it actually means it! After a lovely evening supping, I once woke up at dawn to find myself upto the wheel arches in the sea, 100m+ to to land. Amazed and grateful that the vw started whilst waves washed up the rear and managed to get her up onto the only patch of dry land, next to a boatshed. took best part of the day before i could leave. it was very restful, mind.:D

Nosha
10-02-2011, 17:56
You're lucky Transit Phil, we've never been able to stop there, someone or two always on the little higher ground carpark; and I never remember my tide tables so don't want to risk being swamped on the lower ground!

Campervanman
15-02-2011, 18:07
Yes that harbour at Thornham is quite nice, very exposed place though and the wind can be quite strong on that upper car park.

maingate
15-02-2011, 18:33
Yes that harbour at Thornham is quite nice, very exposed place though and the wind can be quite strong on that upper car park.

Thats OK, I carry a wind turbine. With my luck though, we will be becalmed. :D

BrianG
15-02-2011, 18:42
Hi,
Just wondering about wind turbines, how do you find yours? I've been told they can be a bit noisy and less effective than solar panels. Don't see a lot of them on motorhomes unlike yachts.
By the way where on this site does one find the new thread button?

GregM
15-02-2011, 21:23

Go to the forum you wish to post a new thread on and you should see the button at the top of the list. ie if you wanted to post in the Norfolk forum you can go to Norfolk (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/norfolk/)

If you are accessing threads from the home page then click on the 'forums' link on the left and then the 'view forums' from that page. Long winded I know but thats the only links I have found to see a list of all forums.

maingate
15-02-2011, 22:06
Hi,
Just wondering about wind turbines, how do you find yours? I've been told they can be a bit noisy and less effective than solar panels. Don't see a lot of them on motorhomes unlike yachts.

My wind turbine is not noisy at all. I believe the older types could be. Mine is a Rutland 504, rated at 80 watts output. I would hate to be in a hurricane but I think it will need one to generate 80 watts. :D

They take up a bit of storage space but that is not a problem with my van. I have a 5 metre sectional mast and guy ropes to anchor it. When there is a good strong wind, it does put a trickle back into the batteries and will do that 24 hours a day (if the wind blows). You need 'clean air' as turbulence affects the output, hence the tall mast.

I also carry a 90 watt solar panel (belt and braces) so I would beunlucky to get a flat battery. I can always move on anyway and let the engine charge them up. :D

BrianG
16-02-2011, 13:40
Hi, Thanks for answers to both queries, Brian

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS