PDA

View Full Version : Bavaria

Teene
02-02-2011, 15:23
We're touring Bavaria this August for three weeks and would be really interested in peoples experiences of stopovers and places to either not miss or avoid at all costs from the UK to Bavaria.
Before then we're off to the Peak District and Exmoor in the UK, just can't wait, talk about wishing our lives away.
Thanks in advance Teene

Jo001
02-02-2011, 20:07
we visited Bavaria in the pre-motorhome days and had the warmest welcome in Garmish Partenkirchen. But went to other parts of Germany last year and the German tourist information website is excellent - Germany Travel - German Tourist Office - Visit Germany - Information on Germany - Germany Tourism (http://www.germany-tourism.co.uk/)

You might also want to check out this site for stellplatz - the German equivalent to aires. We typically paid about 8 euros a night, with electricity on top; it was usually metered and cost a couple of euros for what we needed - http://touring24.info/index.asp

They aren't so easy to find as the French ones, so you really need to know where you are going beforehand. I created a word document with downloaded images showing me where the stellplatz were that I was planning to stay on. If you pm me, I'll send you a copy - it's not for the area that you are going to but you'll get the idea, and it worked for me. We always found the places we were looking for. Google maps and streetview were really helpful!

Mastodon
02-02-2011, 22:09
Bordatlas from Vicarious books. Then go to Garmisch P, Bad Tolz, back through Dresden and/or Berlin (sticker needed) Rotenburg ob der Tauber, Nurnberg. Stellplatz in all of them often for the heinous price of drinking beer in the Gasthaus.

jonegood
03-02-2011, 06:33
Hi

Bavaria is brilliant, scenery, walking, cycling Beer!!

Garmisch Partenkirschen has an excellent stellpatz next to the (see if you can resist laughing) Wankbahn, the 'Wank' is the mountain! the Wankbahn is the cablecar going up it, its on the road in from Munich cost about 10 euros /night, I think it includes electric, it also includes free travel on the local buses (abt every half hour)thereb is also a cheapish wifi. There are walks straight from the stellplatz and a really pretty town.

We went to Fussen, there are 3 stellpplatz all on the same road as you go in - again about 10 euros inc elec and wifi. the draw down there is Neusschwanstein, beware of mega queues and carparking charges best to go on the scooter if you have one.

Dont miss Munich, wonderful city, particulalrly the weekend beerfest in Marktplatz and all the towers. The official place is the Allianz arena - drive around their 'M25' towards Salzburg and you will see it. We preferred the Olympic Staduim, no facilities at all but closer to the attractions and in a nicer area, its right by BMW world and is well signposted on the inner ring.

Hope this helps, hope you have a great time
Jon

activecampers
03-02-2011, 09:54
We love the area - and have been given a "Drive by" guide for xmas which seems to take you on some lovely routes through some places we've missed.

Our website has our routes and blogs through the area on a couple of german trips, as well as GPS points for the area where we found to wildcamp.

You should consider getting my BIG set of POIs and also consider buying Bordatlas that is the German bible of free/cheap motorhome parking/services.

Enjoy!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS