PDA

View Full Version : cheap or free camping needed west coast of france?

liggo
02-02-2011, 20:26
we are takin our vw splitscreen down the west coast of france so any sites would be apreciated. thanks! wouldnt mind near some surf spots!:o

John H
03-02-2011, 12:39
CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) will supply all the information you need - although it is in French! (use google translator)

Bheinn
03-02-2011, 19:01
Two great free camping car sites next to surf beach near Carnac at Ty Hoche.

liggo
03-02-2011, 21:25
thanks, keep them comin!;)

gemnrich
05-02-2011, 22:37
Noirmoutier have designated aires all over the island for about 8 euros a night. but if ur under 2m you can be cheeky and get away with parking in the free car parks next to them (it wasn't just us!!!)The tourist office on the island has a map detailing all of these.
The same with ile d'oleron, except i think the aires here were free but there were loads of ppl wild camping near all the beaches.
The best advice is to get the all the aires book, its sooo handy and there are so many dotted about france that you never worry about finding a place to sleep, the vast majority are also free, prices etc detailed in book. You'll find plenty of aires all down the west coast.
We never had any problems with police etc etc in our three months last year when we wild camped but just be respectful.
Probs just repeating stuff that has been said time and time again but keep the area clean from rubbish, keep quite and all will be totally fine :o)

John H
06-02-2011, 10:25
If you don't have access to the internet, a good source of information is the French publication "Guide Officiel Aires de Services Camping Car" which is available in garages and supermarkets throughout France (I think its published in the spring and sells out fast). I use it all the time in France and have found it more accurate than any other publication. Happy travels.

vipper
06-02-2011, 18:31
Lots of great free sites south of Noirmoutier on the coast. Spent time there last summer. No problems with police and lots of French plates overnighting too.

Topskin
06-02-2011, 20:20
If you don't have access to the internet, a good source of information is the French publication "Guide Officiel Aires de Services Camping Car" which is available in garages and supermarkets throughout France (I think its published in the spring and sells out fast). I use it all the time in France and have found it more accurate than any other publication. Happy travels.

For what its worth you can pre-order this on Amazon.fr - I have it preordered due out in the next fortnight

John H
07-02-2011, 08:03
For what its worth you can pre-order this on Amazon.fr - I have it preordered due out in the next fortnight

Thanks a lot for that - I will do it that way in future but this year we will be driving north through France next month so I think I'll pick it up on the way. Cheers.

ian81
07-02-2011, 12:45
france is so easy -just plan the route you want to go and log where you can get fresh water / dump from the aires sites and then just park where you fancy -unless there is a specific prohibition.
Beware of July / August -there are lots of MH's and so parking becomes more of a problem.

smoggie
20-03-2011, 19:46
HI can anyone help me im working this season in messange or biarritz and my boyfriend has a tent and we were wondering if there are any free camping for tents only, i know this is for motor homes but were unsure where to look, any information would be very grateful, 'thanks:cool:

Tony Lee
21-03-2011, 06:35
HI can anyone help me im working this season in messange or biarritz and my boyfriend has a tent and we were wondering if there are any free camping for tents only, i know this is for motor homes but were unsure where to look, any information would be very grateful, 'thanks:cool:

Having no water or sanitation facilities (in comparison to a motorhome) certainly cuts down on your choices, especially if you intend staying in one place for a long time. Even caravans are (supposedly) banned from most aires. Maybe you could contact van parks and see if you can get free camping in exchange for work.

GeoNomad
22-03-2011, 04:20
I'm new here, but thought this thread could use the mention of France Passion. Free overnight for members at farms and wineries in France. You also get the opportunity to taste some wine along the way and the hosts have been very friendly in my experience.

FRANCE PASSION la France en camping-car (http://www.france-passion.com/gb_formule.php)

Membership is 29 and you get a guide book with descriptions and maps to work from.

Peter
Peter's Paragliding Nomadness (http://nomadness.benlo.com)

Fleming
22-03-2011, 18:39
Wild camping in tents is not allowed in France and certainly not in the Biaritz area. Have a look for a 'camping municipal' they are generally cheap.
Leo

flower3bird
25-03-2011, 22:12
France is easy peasey :o They are perfectly cool about you stopping just about anywhere, especially out of season. If you are going into Cherbourg there is a great surfing place Souisville (spelling?) with a free Aire there too. So you can start your holiday with 45 mins of getting off the ferry.

All down the west coast is great. Notre Dame de Monts has an Aire, minimal payment in season. But you can sail off their beach close to Aire OR go a little up the road to the point where you go across to Normoutier and just before you go over they sail from that beach too. We have even wild camped there out of season.

But just look for other campers. You might not find many Brits but they'll be plenty of Frenchies out and about and where it is OK for them to stop will be OK for you too.

Zepp
26-03-2011, 05:30
Great place for surfing the aire was free when we were there but in peak season you have to pay.

You can check it out on our blog as not sure of all the details now

Europe 2011 (http://paulandlynne2011.blogspot.com/2011/02/day-8-weds-16.html)

Paul

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS