PDA

View Full Version : Denholme / Haworth area near Keighley

Croftland1
23-02-2011, 17:38
There is a little parking area at Oxenhope marked on the POI map, but does anyone have any suggestions of other good wild spots in the above area please?

Thanks, Jim

bigpieeater
23-02-2011, 18:07
I personally would not park within a radius of 10 miles of Keighley.

Croftland1
23-02-2011, 19:28
I personally would not park within a radius of 10 miles of Keighley.

The reason for choosing this area is that we are visiting friends in Denholme and are hoping to not have to travel too far out for an overnight stay. Why avoid Keighley and surrounding area? Is it really that bad?

bigpieeater
23-02-2011, 20:48
The reason for choosing this area is that we are visiting friends in Denholme and are hoping to not have to travel too far out for an overnight stay. Why avoid Keighley and surrounding area? Is it really that bad?
I have to be REALLY careful here, I got thrown off motorhomefacts for having an opinion...here goes, please understand this is my opinion, I used to live about 6 miles from Keighley.
Keighley is home to a large number of our friends from Asian countries.
The younger generation tend to 'Borrow' things from you for a long period of time, I am sure they forget to bring back the items to you when they have finished 'borrowing them!!
Yesterday, I drove from Haworth to Hebden Bridge via Oxenhope, beautiful open countryside but still only 10 minutes outside Keighleystan...ooppss sorry I slipped on the keyboard there.
Please understand my advice to you here, this is not a political rant on behalf of the BNP or any other far right movement.
Do yourself a favour and book into a site if you have to spend any more than 30 seconds parked up any where near Keighley.
And before any of you start hammering away on your keyboards...I am not a racist, I simply believe that there is good and bad in everyone, but I have more experience of Keighley and Bradford than most of you. Enough Said!

John H
23-02-2011, 20:53
I have to be REALLY careful here, I got thrown off motorhomefacts for having an opinion...here goes, please understand this is my opinion, I used to live about 6 miles from Keighley.
The younger generation tend to 'Borrow' things from you for a long period of time, I am sure they forget to bring back the items to you when they have finished 'borrowing them!!
Yesterday, I drove from Haworth to Hebden Bridge via Oxenhope, beautiful open countryside but still only 10 minutes outside Keighleystan...ooppss sorry I slipped on the keyboard there.
Please understand my advice to you here, this is not a political rant on behalf of the BNP or any other far right movement.
Do yourself a favour and book into a site if you have to spend any more than 30 seconds parked up any where near Keighley.
And before any of you start hammering away on your keyboards...I am not a racist, I simply believe that there is good and bad in everyone, but I have more experience of Keighley and Bradford than most of you. Enough Said!

Keithleystan? And you say you are not racist? Enough said!

singledecker
26-02-2011, 19:19
Jim,What a load of cobblers,I live in this area and dont recognise this NO GO area described here,there are several spots to Wild around here 1.Blackmoor Road coming from Denholme to Oxenhope turn right a couple of hundred yards below Dog and Gun up a few hundred yards on left is a big flat area witha fantastic view,have your brecky looking at the moors and Leeming res,on by Haworth cemetery are a couple of layby`s on this quiet road, Leeming Res from Denholme turn in at bottm through some big gate posts park on right hand side,have a pint or two in the Lamb inn, PM Me if you are stuck.G.

bigpieeater
27-02-2011, 09:00
Keithleystan? And you say you are not racist? Enough said!
I can only assume that you live in a highly populated Asian community do you?
Feel free to post your city on here for us all to make up our mind...let me guess....Surrey...Sussex....Herfordshire...please do tell all.
I am not entering into an argument with you but I feel I have more reason to advise our friend on parking near Keighley than YOU.
BTW, Keighleystan is not a racial comment. Bradistan appeared in the brilliant film East is East, was that a racial film?
It was played by Indians and Pakistanis, I even have friends from there, so before you start accusing anyone of being a racist JOHN H, get your head from up your ar*e.

Jim
I hope your stay in this area is a safe and pleasent one, Denholm, Oxenhope and surrounding areas are a really nice place to visit, my only advice to you was to be carefull where to park, after all, isn't that why you started this thread. No doubt JOHN H and singledecker will be at the end of the phone should you need their assistance.

Singledecker...I can only assume that you do not know about Keighley, maybe you would like me to show you around one day...or night!!

kenjones
27-02-2011, 20:06

I have had close links with West Yorkshire since the 1960s and have lived between Bradford and Keighley for over 30 years. I also have a long service award for working in this area.
I have never had any problems with the Asian community. Live and let live.
The surrounding area is beautiful and well worth visiting.
I wouldn't want to wild camp in built up areas here or anywhere else in the country.
With views like yours how can you claim to be "not racist"

bigpieeater
28-02-2011, 07:06
I have had close links with West Yorkshire since the 1960s and have lived between Bradford and Keighley for over 30 years. I also have a long service award for working in this area.
I wouldn't want to wild camp in built up areas here or anywhere else in the country.
Croftland1
It looks like I have been outvoted.
You have the support of many on here.
I suggest that you listen to their advice and camp in the area without any worries whatsoever.
I note that KENJONES does not tell us where he lives NOW?
Maybe all these people that have posted on here would do me a favour and let David Cameron know that there are no problems with the immigrants in the uk?
While your at it, please advise the Australian Government that the immigrants will have a positive effect on their country.

I think I will leave it at that, I sincerely hope that your experience is a good one in the area, I have had many a bad experience in both Bradford and Keighley as a lone person wondering the streets, maybe it was a one off and I have got it all wrong.
So has David Cameron.
Oh, and so have the Australian Government.
Oh, yes, and so have many of the political chat-shows that are a regular event on our TV's.
Before I go, maybe KENJONES can point out just which of my points is racist?
Having an opinion is not racist, our friend started a thread on here for advice, I gave my opinion. This is not a place for small minded people like KENJONES and others who point the finger at someone for displaying a view.
I can only assume that KENJONES lives near JOHN H, who has gone quiet since I asked him; where does he live?
To finish I would like to remind KENJONES of two dates. KENJONES quotes "live and let live"
He forgot all about 7/7 and 9/11...!!! Live and let live Ken...

Tbear
28-02-2011, 09:45
Croftland1
It looks like I have been outvoted.
You have the support of many on here.
I suggest that you listen to their advice and camp in the area without any worries whatsoever.
I note that KENJONES does not tell us where he lives NOW?
Maybe all these people that have posted on here would do me a favour and let David Cameron know that there are no problems with the immigrants in the uk?
While your at it, please advise the Australian Government that the immigrants will have a positive effect on their country.

I think I will leave it at that, I sincerely hope that your experience is a good one in the area, I have had many a bad experience in both Bradford and Keighley as a lone person wondering the streets, maybe it was a one off and I have got it all wrong.
So has David Cameron.
Oh, and so have the Australian Government.
Oh, yes, and so have many of the political chat-shows that are a regular event on our TV's.
Before I go, maybe KENJONES can point out just which of my points is racist?
Having an opinion is not racist, our friend started a thread on here for advice, I gave my opinion. This is not a place for small minded people like KENJONES and others who point the finger at someone for displaying a view.
I can only assume that KENJONES lives near JOHN H, who has gone quiet since I asked him; where does he live?
To finish I would like to remind KENJONES of two dates. KENJONES quotes "live and let live"
He forgot all about 7/7 and 9/11...!!! Live and let live Ken...

Bigpieeater,

How many generations do these people have to be here before you stop calling them imigrants?

How many White Engish lives are saved by the Doctors and Staff of Asian origin on a daily bases, at your local hospital. They don't ask if you are a Bigot first.

An Asain friend of mine has just come back from spending too years working in an Australian Hospital.

There are area in every city I have ever been to that I would not like to go at night on my own.

How do you define racist???

Richard

mandrake
28-02-2011, 12:29
i notice 7/7 and 9/11 have been brought up ,how many aisian chinese exetera were killed in these atrosities were a lot of those not muslim people .thats all i will say on that matter ,but we have parked up in the van overnight even in harlsden london the only place we have had any trouble was at ogmore by sea and that was from suposidly wel brought up white youths

bigpieeater
28-02-2011, 18:32
Bigpieeater,

How many generations do these people have to be here before you stop calling them imigrants?

How many White Engish lives are saved by the Doctors and Staff of Asian origin on a daily bases, at your local hospital. They don't ask if you are a Bigot first.

An Asain friend of mine has just come back from spending too years working in an Australian Hospital.

There are area in every city I have ever been to that I would not like to go at night on my own.

Richard
Dear Richard
PLEASE read my words again.
I think I remember saying "there is good and bad in everyone"
I too have friends from Asia.
How do I define racist....? I define a racist who joins the thousands of thug type idiots who 'generalise' that all foreigners are not welcome here.
I welcome the Doctors, business men (and women) and generally people who want to come to the UK and join in. Work. Pay their tax. Maybe even learn some English??
What I don't like, whether they be white, Black, Yellow or purple for that matter, are the people who expect to be housed, fed and kept by our tax and social care system.
Those that don't like it should exercise their right to leave, move to another country who welcome spongers.
I have done Business with a true gentleman from Pakistan, he welcomed me into his home and put on what can only be described as a banquet fit for a King. So don't tar me with the RACE BRUSH.
You still cannot qualify why you seem to think my comments are racist.
You have to have an education and at least some knowledge on a subject if you are going to start accusing people of something you know little about.
I am sure our friend that started the thread will feel very safe with all the help and assistance we all appear to be giving, I hope he enjoys Yorkshire, I am Yorkshire born and bred and very proud.
Unless you can give me a constructive conversation, don't bother.

bigpieeater
28-02-2011, 18:34
i notice 7/7 and 9/11 have been brought up ,how many aisian chinese exetera were killed in these atrosities were a lot of those not muslim people .thats all i will say on that matter ,but we have parked up in the van overnight even in harlsden london the only place we have had any trouble was at ogmore by sea and that was from suposidly wel brought up white youths I am not too sure what point you are trying to make, but I do believe their is good and bad in everyone, WHITE, Black, Yellow...whatever creed or colour.

Croftland1
01-03-2011, 21:02
Just popped back to view my thread and it seems I've sparked a bit of a hot debate here. Sorry about that :o

I actually stayed in Denholme on Saturday night, although I didn't take the van on this occasion. Along with a group of friends I completed the 24-mile Myrtle Meander hike from Bingley before retiring to a pub to watch England beat France in the Six Nations :D

After a shower and change in Denholme, we took a taxi, (Asian firm,) to Keighley for beers and curry, (Asian restaurant.) Thankfully the entire trip passed peacefully and I found all the locals that I came into contact with very friendly.

Thanks to all that have contributed to the thread in response to my original request and thanks to singledecker for adding some more wild spots to the list - hopefully Canalsman got those logged.

Happy and safe wilding!

Jim

bigpieeater
01-03-2011, 21:08
Just popped back to view my thread and it seems I've sparked a bit of a hot debate here. Sorry about that :o

I actually stayed in Denholme on Saturday night, although I didn't take the van on this occasion. Along with a group of friends I completed the 24-mile Myrtle Meander hike from Bingley before retiring to a pub to watch England beat France in the Six Nations :D

After a shower and change in Denholme, we took a taxi, (Asian firm,) to Keighley for beers and curry, (Asian restaurant.) Thankfully the entire trip passed peacefully and I found all the locals that I came into contact with very friendly.

Thanks to all that have contributed to the thread in response to my original request and thanks to singledecker for adding some more wild spots to the list - hopefully Canalsman got those logged.

Happy and safe wilding!

Jim
PHEW!!!
Glad you had a good time.
I, like you, use Asian Taxis, I eat at Asian Restaurants, albeit in Bradford, and have never had a problem with either. I sincerly believe a racist would not choose to do either!
So to all the dim-witted single brain cell contributers who call me a racist, where have you all gone? You appear to have ignored my questions...oh well 1-0 to the bigpieeater!!

Canalsman
01-03-2011, 21:29

Indeed I have - and some more besides :)

bigpieeater
04-03-2011, 11:17

Which "views"?????

bigpieeater
04-03-2011, 11:41
Bigpieeater,

Richard

Hi Richard
I totally agree, Doctors, Nurses, Taxi Drivers, Shop Owners, in fact any one who runs a business or cares for people are not usually the ones found on Crimewatch generally causing trouble. Does this make any sense?
I have no problem with creed or colour. I have friends from Asian Countries too.
I have no problem with people trying to run a business. I run 2!
I have no problem with Doctors or nurses or Taxi drivers or shop owners. I use them too!
I would think most of these people pay there tax and hope that, when they arrive home at night, no-one has 'nicked' their TV.
I take offence at being called a bigot when I have explained my feelings. I have said many times that there is good and bad in everyone, black or white.
A bigot would tell the Asian doctor about his racist views and that same doctor would still look after the bigot...seems so unfair doesn't it?
Funny isn't it that all the 'finger pointers' have all mentioned the 'GOOD' in people.
Doctors....Taxi Drivers....Shop Owners....Business People....
One comment mentioned "How long do people have to be in this country for them not to be called an Immigrant?"
I would say perhaps...there children who are born here are British, that seems fair.
What this idiot does not say is, thousands of "immigrants" have hit these shores THIS WEEK!
And your tax is paying for them!
They are taking houses whilst some ex-servicemen from Iraq sleep on the streets.
How fair is that??
I look forward to all of your 'finger pointers' replies.

Ashton
19-04-2011, 22:32
Has anyone here stopped at in the car park at Penistone Hill? Was there other week and thought it seemed a decent spot to park up for the night.

Ste
28-04-2011, 11:22
HI Ashton
Its local to me, a few years back the Penistone Hill CP got a rep for dogging!! And believe it was the reason the toilets started getting locked. (53.82141,-1.97339 gm)
However, its rep has improved since and the CP on the ridge may be a better option as its set back further from the road (53.823435,-1.969755)
As an alternative you could try here (53.831283,-2.004053) near Stanbury. Its the Original 'Ponden Mill' shop which went bust a couple of years ago. I don't know if the left hand CP is blocked off. but the right hand one isn't.
Personally I'd go over the moor to Thursden Valley & Widdop, Pack Horse Inn (53.781155,-2.07485), large CP and if you ask and use the facilities I believe you can stay. The Road is tight in places, but I used to delivery up there with a 20ft van with ease.
Half a mile up the road is a little cp (53.786975,-2.08181) and a bigger one further on still (53.791321,-2.096152).

Canalsman
28-04-2011, 20:12
As an alternative you could try here (53.831283,-2.004053) near Stanbury. Its the Original 'Ponden Mill' shop which went bust a couple of years ago. I don't know if the left hand CP is blocked off. but the right hand one isn't.
Personally I'd go over the moor to Thursden Valley & Widdop, Pack Horse Inn (53.781155,-2.07485), large CP and if you ask and use the facilities I believe you can stay. The Road is tight in places, but I used to delivery up there with a 20ft van with ease.
Half a mile up the road is a little cp (53.786975,-2.08181) and a bigger one further on still (53.791321,-2.096152).

Thanks for these - I've added them to the database :)

(The first couple are already in there ...)

Regards

Chris

Ashton
26-05-2011, 22:20
Thanks Ste, Was planning on going to the Rock and Rail fest but looks like my van isn't up for it:cry:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS