PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough

kimbowbill
24-02-2011, 00:46
Hi all

does anyone know what the parking situation is in Scarborough? I know there were some plans to restrict certain arears, has this happened?

fanks

Jenny

wilthebeast
24-02-2011, 07:24
Hi Jenny
I think the plans have been put on hold and it is still fine to park ,we will be there tonight and staying for a long weekend so if your there give us a knock
Regards Keith&wendy

kimbowbill
24-02-2011, 09:06
Hi Jenny
I think the plans have been put on hold and it is still fine to park ,we will be there tonight and staying for a long weekend so if your there give us a knock
Regards Keith&wendy

thank you for your reply, its good to know before going, I wont be going until March when van is taxed and roadworthy, enjoy you lucky peeps xx

Old_Arthur
24-02-2011, 09:10
Hi Jenny
Regards Keith&wendy
be safer and cheaper than parkin in hull:rolleyes:we will be there next weekend ,grounded this weekend for a family do on her side :( things we do to keep the peace:cool:

maingate
24-02-2011, 12:27
A few weeks ago, we overnighted at the Sea Life centre (cannot get TV at Marine Drive). There was some heavy plant working in the car park but they had covered up the ticket machines. Had a quiet night.

Neckender
24-02-2011, 15:47
We stopped for 3 days last week end behind the lifeboat station, we were talking with the traffic warden and she said "there was no problem with our 2 motorhomes stopping there as long as we had the parking ticket displayed". 6 for 24 hours.

John.

anfi1
25-02-2011, 06:31
Hi all,i think they will remove the covers from the machines on Marine Drive on the 1st of March,this is only a date i have in my head but i will have a gander next week and post the outcome:o

kimbowbill
26-02-2011, 09:41
Thanks you lot, reassuring to know

wilthebeast
27-02-2011, 17:31
A few weeks ago, we overnighted at the Sea Life centre (cannot get TV at Marine Drive). There was some heavy plant working in the car park but they had covered up the ticket machines. Had a quiet night.

Hi my friend
If you park at the water pumping station on marine drive with your arse sticking out you should get a picture :rolleyes:
sorry mate what i really mean is to get your arial as far away from the cliffs as pos 15feet can make a big differance

wilthebeast
27-02-2011, 17:39
be safer and cheaper than parkin in hull:rolleyes:we will be there next weekend ,grounded this weekend for a family do on her side :( things we do to keep the peace:cool:

Hi arthur
Your maybe right there, although we had a good long w/end, left today for the trip home and the front exhaust down pipe parted from the silencer ,so theres another job i wont get paid for.

robert b
27-02-2011, 18:23
we often park on the pier behind lifeboat station and never had any problems sometimes a bit noisy when fish quay opens at six. but other than that its a great place and six quid for 24 hrs isnt a price to pay for a seafront parking its cheaper than campsites.

Old_Arthur
27-02-2011, 19:22
Hi arthur
Your maybe right there, although we had a good long w/end, left today for the trip home and the front exhaust down pipe parted from the silencer ,so theres another job i wont get paid for.
it's the price us spanner jockeys have to pay keigh but think what it would cost to have it done, had mine up on ramp this weekend and gave it a dose of diesel and old engine oil

wilthebeast
27-02-2011, 20:12
I may bring the van around to yours to put it on your ramp to give it a good dosing ! i can bring my own old engine oil :D
Cant get there next week as its my birthday and we have the family coming round , wendy said what do you want for your birthday ! i said i want to go away in the van;)
Noooo we cant do that as your son,s have insigated a doo for you , and so i have to stay in (poo)

georgese5
04-03-2011, 11:01
Just to let you know the covers came off the parking machines in Scarborough on the 1st March and I spoted a warden putting a ticket on at 9.10am on the first day!! they are very keen!!

CasaMia
09-03-2011, 20:50
Hi I just joined wcfmh and thought I'd check out Scarborough I actually live there. You are right the council cover up the ticket machines on Marine Drive in Winter and take them off March
Charges apply on High Season from 1st March to 31st October. Hope this helps:D

kimbowbill
09-03-2011, 22:54
Hi I just joined wcfmh and thought I'd check out Scarborough I actually live there. You are right the council cover up the ticket machines on Marine Drive in Winter and take them off March
Charges apply on High Season from 1st March to 31st October. Hope this helps:D

Thanks for that, and welcome WC enjoy the fun xx

CasaMia
09-03-2011, 23:55
Huh don't know why they start charging from 1st March it's hardly sunbathing weather (peak season????)... bloomin freezing here today. If u do get to Scarbados drop me a note, I have a lot to learn as I'm completely new to all this. Just put our house on the market, first step towards becoming a full timer we hope. I think u can still get away with overnighting on marine drive and at sealife center, the police tend to like to be back at the station for a cuppa on a night:)

kimbowbill
10-03-2011, 00:03
Huh don't know why they start charging from 1st March it's hardly sunbathing weather (peak season????)... bloomin freezing here today. If u do get to Scarbados drop me a note, I have a lot to learn as I'm completely new to all this. Just put our house on the market, first step towards becoming a full timer we hope. I think u can still get away with overnighting on marine drive and at sealife center, the police tend to like to be back at the station for a cuppa on a night:)

Scarbados? like it, like it, lol, yeah but a great place to freeze, yeah i usually go in sea life its lovely down there, so your going full time? good for you, wish i could do it, you'll find plenty of posts on here to help you, I will drop you a line when i finally get my van roadworthy, Scarbados will be the first on my list

Jenny

wallyblackneck
10-03-2011, 07:30
hi, posting in scarbrough as we speak, we havent been here for a while, we used to get up early and drive in to free park on the sea front just down from the little big wheel amusement area at the end of the sea front, go round the roundabout head back down to the sea front and there was a small stretch of free parking about 100 yds long its now been re designated as 1 to 3 hour parking or disabled parking fine if your on a blue badge. we have a b654 hymer at 3.1 tons and many of the long stay parks say cars and light vehicles up to 1.5 tons. so as not to make an officious wardens day,(never tempt fate), we drove around and tried just about every long stay park we could find, I then thought there must be a coach park some where here so we followed coaches and sure enough in williamson street theres a large car and coach park also hgv are allowed at night, and there are some long bays to. a problem we have at 22ft long.its 5.00 all day and you walk out of the car park turn left go 200yds turn right 50 yds turn left and in 100yds your by the brunswick shoping centre at the top of the town, with no hills to struggle up. I like wild camping as the next man does but in towns now your stuffed pay up and join the queue. were of to germany this year to sample the stellplatz we hear there better than the aires in france any hints or tips gratefully received keep those wheels turning y'all.

wallyblackneck
05-05-2011, 15:30
hi been back to scarbrough again, by accident found overnight parking on the north shore side is allowed, albeit at 6.50 for 24 hrs. bank holiday, over 50 units parked up. short walk to peasholme park. shame they have ruined the lido , its been filled in and is now an "amusement" young kids shooting range with small driveable tanks etc not cheap, many parents will get nagged to death, can we , can we!!, my kids are over 25yrs old still kids though!and passed can we stage!!! just. shame about the lido. its called capitalism and progress?

wallyblackneck
05-05-2011, 15:37
we often park on the pier behind lifeboat station and never had any problems sometimes a bit noisy when fish quay opens at six. but other than that its a great place and six quid for 24 hrs isnt a price to pay for a seafront parking its cheaper than campsites.

yes i have parked there with an older camper a hymer b534 it was 1.3 ton, if you read the parking meter sign it says all vans and commercial vehicles over 1.5 ton, my hymer b654 is 3.1 ton gross, no it doesnt say motorhomes but they will include them with vans i guess. i never tempt fate it lurks just round the corner just next to the clever dick traffic warden. all south shore parking meters read the same sign. i havent ventured down by the spa ballroom area as i wouldnt get turned round if it was busy ?

Mark D
05-05-2011, 20:05
I was at Scarborough last weekend racing at Olivers Mount and found that at the end of the Mere there is a small car park with flat standing and no signs up. The mere is on the right hand side as you come into Scarborough from the A64, just behind Halfords, Currys etc.

kimbowbill
06-05-2011, 07:31
I was at Scarborough last weekend racing at Olivers Mount and found that at the end of the Mere there is a small car park with flat standing and no signs up. The mere is on the right hand side as you come into Scarborough from the A64, just behind Halfords, Currys etc.

Thanks Mark, i know this place, I go regular, its lovely, but my question to you is, where is olivers mount?, i tried to find it last time i was up there, can you park there?
thanks
Jenny

Mark D
06-05-2011, 09:08
If you stand in the carpark with the mere on your right the hill in front of you is olivers mount. Instead of turning into the car park continue up the lane past some houses and up the hill. You then come to a T junction, this is now part of the race circuit called mere hairpin and is the part on my video where the tyres are squeling.

Olivers mount is public but closes on a race day, we use the paddock area on the left of the T junction but i assume its generally locked so i would say no. There is a camping field at the top of the hill where the football pitches are but again not sure if this is just on a race day.

This is me in my old mini going up the mount, you might spot something familiar. We only use a small amount of the circuit, the full bike circuit goes past the cafe and the war memorial, as does the rallying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7aUSbesRo&feature=player_detailpage

kimbowbill
06-05-2011, 20:40
love the vid Mark, bet thats feels good, I used to race with a little hillman imp, many years ago, at dinnigton race track, I always won, the boys used to get really peed of wi me :wacko:

thanks for sharing, and yes i do know where it is now, thanks

jenny

Mark D
06-05-2011, 22:42
Jesus the Hillman Imp, i remember those from my early days, only car i drove that could turn on the spot, i bet you could get one of those to any angle and still recover.

This is the new car, it's a hell of a lot quicker then the old one and had to be built following a bad accident in the old one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMtwlXWqxg&feature=player_detailpage

Not wanting to Hijack the thread i'll revert back to scarborough. The camping field at the top of the mount is open on race weekends, as are the toilet blocks etc. Some good camping could be got here on race weekends. To find out when these are just have a look on auto66 website for the race dates, if i'm in the paddock come and say Hi.

kimbowbill
07-05-2011, 11:44
I will look out for them, would love to come when they are on, and I will hunt you down, i wanna go in that mini:wacko:

Jennhy

refurbisher
21-06-2011, 19:57
Just had our second recent trip to the Pier behind the Lifeboat which is handy for a stopover. Second night a fellow motorhomer (is that a word) told us some young wannabe traffic warden had been taking his boss around the carpark and had been telling people they could park their vans overnight but couldn't sleep in them. There were no new signs to say this and a number of us just carried on as normal but it does sound like local fisherman are complaining about overnighters and that there are rumblings about stopping it. Can't have anything, we never turn up while after 6 so not to take up room from the day trippers and always pay for a 24hr ticket even though you don't need to pay after 6 and before 9 next morning by which time we are out and about.

kimbowbill
21-06-2011, 20:16
Just had our second recent trip to the Pier behind the Lifeboat which is handy for a stopover. Second night a fellow motorhomer (is that a word) told us some young wannabe traffic warden had been taking his boss around the carpark and had been telling people they could park their vans overnight but couldn't sleep in them. There were no new signs to say this and a number of us just carried on as normal but it does sound like local fisherman are complaining about overnighters and that there are rumblings about stopping it. Can't have anything, we never turn up while after 6 so not to take up room from the day trippers and always pay for a 24hr ticket even though you don't need to pay after 6 and before 9 next morning by which time we are out and about.

jobsworth then, mmm, oh well jsut sleep in the van and if they come a knocking, dont answer, how do they know your not in

jen

Mark D
21-06-2011, 22:45
how do they know your not in

jen

quite easily with my snorring!!!

kimbowbill
22-06-2011, 06:50
quite easily with my snorring!!!

i know, take a tape recording of your snoring, and if you get a ticket, at your appeal, put the tape at the back of your fridge and say its your faulty fridge :lol-053:

Jen xx

refurbisher
22-06-2011, 20:43
No flies on u Jen ;)

Anne Daynes
31-12-2011, 17:16
Blame the snoring on the dog and tell them you were not sleeping could they sleep with that row going on

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS