PDA

View Full Version : Wild Camping Map & POI support

Pages : [1] 2

Canalsman
08-03-2011, 17:55
This is the place to post any questions about the Wild Camping Map & POI database.

Over the next day or so I will post extracts from existing threads to help point people in the right direction :)

Admin
09-03-2011, 14:20
Thanks Chris

Canalsman
09-03-2011, 17:40
Right - to kick things off I am starting a number of threads on commonly asked questions or problems encountered.

Please use these as a resource, and to post questions.

I am planning to keep the number of threads fairly small, so don't be surprised if a post is moved into a more suitable place if it's appropriate ...

stator
30-03-2011, 06:44
When clicking on poi download, fires up loading lights then no download !:confused:
Any idears

Canalsman
30-03-2011, 11:56
When clicking on poi download, fires up loading lights then no download !:confused:
Any idears

Hi Stator

I have just downloaded the file myself - just to check that the recent site upgrade hasn't affected anything ... It worked fine.

Try restarting your computer, and if that doesn't cure the problem, please will you provide a fuller description of what is happening.

Thanks

Chris

stator
30-03-2011, 12:26
Hi when clicking on poi open / run box appears for quick flash (no rain coat):D
then bottom bar says done!
Think i have problems my end
Thanks

Admin
30-03-2011, 23:16
Hi when clicking on poi open / run box appears for quick flash (no rain coat):D
then bottom bar says done!
Think i have problems my end
Thanks

Sounds like a problem with your web browser, try firefox or google chrome.

Phil

stator
31-03-2011, 14:53
Thank for tip poi now on tom tom
Needed a bit of chrome to sort it :D
Thanks again

Canalsman
31-03-2011, 17:57
Thank for tip poi now on tom tom
Needed a bit of chrome to sort it :D
Thanks again

I'm glad it's fixed ... enjoy :)

Regards

Chris

MollsPhot
25-04-2011, 08:02
Hello Wild Campers,

We're starting our second season with the camper. As newbies last year was very much a self-learning process. We have spent 30 nights in the van so far and happy to say not needed to stay at any campsites. Mostly we have been lucky to find some nice (and not so good) laybys, all found by chance. One important lesson was not to try and find somewhere to stop overnight if it's already dark!

I feel we're now ready for this POI download thing. Am I right in thinking it is a database of suitable places to overnight? In a nutshell how does it work? And finally, will it work with Mac OSX? Sorry if the answers are somewhere on here already.

Gary

Canalsman
25-04-2011, 14:52
I feel we're now ready for this POI download thing. Am I right in thinking it is a database of suitable places to overnight? In a nutshell how does it work? And finally, will it work with Mac OSX? Sorry if the answers are somewhere on here already.

Gary

Yes it is a database - currently just under 2,500 spots throughout England, Wales and Scotland. And the next release will have lots more :)

I have attached the readme file so you can learn more - and yes it is fine on a Mac ...

Regards

Chris

MollsPhot
25-04-2011, 19:08
Chris,

Many thanks for that. We'll sign up once we get our proper internet connection back!

Gary

Admin
12-05-2011, 10:26

The Blade
22-07-2011, 10:40
Hi,

I've got the Google maps on my PC and downloaded the fantastic set of POIs. Everything works fine until I click on the "tinyurl.com" bit of a POI and then Google encounters a problem and insists on shutting down. Any ideas?

Canalsman
22-07-2011, 20:44
Hi,

I've got the Google maps on my PC and downloaded the fantastic set of POIs. Everything works fine until I click on the "tinyurl.com" bit of a POI and then Google encounters a problem and insists on shutting down. Any ideas?

Check that you've got the latest version of Google Earth installed - go to Help, Check for Updates Online.

If you have the latest version, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

If that doesn't work, use Google to search for the specific error message that you get on screen.

Good Luck!

Regards

Chris

kimbowbill
23-07-2011, 09:43

I must have a different page to you, i can't find the site navigation bit,

DevonDreamers
02-05-2012, 22:01
This isn't a reply, more an 'adding to' ...I can't work out how to create a new post. I don't know what the symbols on the Google Earth map mean. 'PH' is obvious but 'CU' etc baffle me. Please can someone enlighten me ?

scampa
02-05-2012, 22:12
If you click on "POI Downloads" at the top right of this page, you'll find this....

CR - car park rural
CU - car park urban

LR - layby rural
LU - layby urban

OR - other rural location
OU - other urban location

PH - pub stopover

The prefixes are particularly useful on a satnav to help you choose a location that is suitable for you.

The prefix is followed by the place name.

All descriptions have the county name appended.

If it's a pub stopover, the description includes the pub name after the location name.

If a location is accessed from a dual carriageway, the description includes the direction of travel for access.

Comments have been added where useful. These are only accessible in Google Earth and AutoRoute.

For example, the comments contain information about:

- Places that charge
- Access restrictions
- Pub phone numbers
- Toilet facilities

CHII BUS
16-05-2012, 08:42
I am wanting to know if its possible to download the POI database to use with the ipad/iphone in-built maps app? I have got the POIs on google earth via the map-o-meter function but google earth on the ipad does not support street view, the in-built maps app does?

Canalsman
16-05-2012, 13:10
I am wanting to know if its possible to download the POI database to use with the ipad/iphone in-built maps app? I have got the POIs on google earth via the map-o-meter function but google earth on the ipad does not support street view, the in-built maps app does?

Please have a look at these threads:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/17007-poi-google-earth-iphone-ipad.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/15526-pois-iphone.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/14631-poi-help-ipad-2-a.html

Regards

Chris

Mikepratt
21-05-2012, 19:33
Hi
New to this site and also new to iPad. Have downloaded the file but cannot seem to open or run from either winzip or QuickTime. Any ideas?

Canalsman
21-05-2012, 23:58
Hi
New to this site and also new to iPad. Have downloaded the file but cannot seem to open or run from either winzip or QuickTime. Any ideas?

Hi Mike

Please take a look through these two threads:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/17007-poi-google-earth-iphone-ipad.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/14631-poi-help-ipad-2-a.html

Hopefully this will make things clearer ...

Phil (site admininstrator) is our resident expert in all things Mac - so if you're still stuck, I suggest you open a support ticket by clicking on the 'Contact Us' link that appears at the bottom of every page.

Regards

Chris :)

tommy
06-06-2012, 13:43
HI,
Hi,Re POI downloads seem to have got it right for Garmin nuvi ,but what Program do I use to open in
Photo gallery using vista..
Thanks Bye..Tommy..

Canalsman
06-06-2012, 14:32
HI,
Hi,Re POI downloads seem to have got it right for Garmin nuvi ,but what Program do I use to open in
Photo gallery using vista..
Thanks Bye..Tommy..

The POIs are only for use with satnavs, Autoroute and Google Earth ...

curley
10-06-2012, 06:51
please can someone help ,when i try to download poi onto my samsung tablet it just keeps saying download failed,i have google earth installed already the tablet is a samsung galaxy tab 10.1 3g iv,e only just got it so is it me being thick,downloaded it on to my laptop no problem.

caspar
10-06-2012, 07:07
Strange problem for me. Have downloaded every month till now. This month, the download automatically goes into Explorer (which I never use) and just flashes, but won't open. The only way to stop it is to restart my computer.

It isn't a virus as I've tried it on about six different computers now, all with the same result.

Any ideas?

Flamenca
10-06-2012, 20:15
My first niggle is that the POI's are for an earlier edition of Autoroute and consequently Autoroute 2011 takes a lot of time to convert the data.

My main difficulty is information related to the locations. I did not realise it had to be downloaded from a web site (not a lot of good when wild camping) and even when I am connected to the internet at home my pc crashes EVERY TIME I attempt to obtain the information. This only happens with this set of POI's for Autoroute.

In summary I am not able to use the POI's as I can not retrieve information related to the locations.

Why not supply the information which can be retained on hard drive or memory stick?

I hope these problems can be ironed out.

tommy
11-06-2012, 13:41
HI,
Thanks for 2 replies,at this moment the various folders are in my PC,I would like them in my Garmin Nuvi,
I've installed POI Loader,can I use small memory card in satnav Help what next ..
tHANKS,Bye,Tommy..

brian the man
26-06-2012, 20:45
This is the place to post any questions about the Wild Camping Map & POI database.

Over the next day or so I will post extracts from existing threads to help point people in the right direction :)

please help tried to download poi but when downloaded it says its free for 14 days then you have to buy it???is this correct??:help::help:

Canalsman
27-06-2012, 11:12
My first niggle is that the POI's are for an earlier edition of Autoroute and consequently Autoroute 2011 takes a lot of time to convert the data.

My main difficulty is information related to the locations. I did not realise it had to be downloaded from a web site (not a lot of good when wild camping) and even when I am connected to the internet at home my pc crashes EVERY TIME I attempt to obtain the information. This only happens with this set of POI's for Autoroute.

In summary I am not able to use the POI's as I can not retrieve information related to the locations.

Why not supply the information which can be retained on hard drive or memory stick?

I hope these problems can be ironed out.

The data suppled for Autoroute is for the 2010 version because that's what I have on my computer. Unfortunately Microsoft like to change formats from version to version, and I don't wish to acquire multiple versions of the software to get round this.

Detailed instructions are provided to use the data with other Autoroute versions, and it takes around 10 minutes to import the data. This I regard as acceptable.

The internet links provided are for Streetview and can be accessed when on the road by using a laptop with wifi or dongle internet access, iPhone, iPad or Android phone/tablet. Instructions for using the phones and tablets in this way can be found in the POI support forum.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Chris

Canalsman
27-06-2012, 11:15
HI,
Thanks for 2 replies,at this moment the various folders are in my PC,I would like them in my Garmin Nuvi,
I've installed POI Loader,can I use small memory card in satnav Help what next ..
tHANKS,Bye,Tommy..

Hi Tommy

Please take a look at this thread and see if it helps:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12541-garmin-nuvi-poi-installation.html

Regards

Chris

Canalsman
27-06-2012, 11:21
please help tried to download poi but when downloaded it says its free for 14 days then you have to buy it???is this correct??:help::help:

The message you are getting is nothing to do with the POI Download.

I think you have downloaded a trial version of WinZip (or similar).

You don't need to use this to unzip the download. I suggest you uninstall it, and if you're using Windows follow the instructions found in this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

Regards

Chris

DorisBoris
02-07-2012, 15:32
I am using the Wild camping POI files in Google Earth with KMLZ in an HTC Sensation phone, and it works well. However, is it possible to identify the grid reference for the wild camping locations' red pins? Tapping the tinyURL brings up a location photo but no grid reference.

Canalsman
02-07-2012, 16:44
I've just had a poke around to see if I can find the answer ...

No joy I'm afraid - it doesn't seem possible to get the current location.

Sorry.

Chris

Aunty P
04-08-2012, 13:43

3 mobile have an offer on TV for a Galaxy Ace at £13 month.
Is this phone good for accessing PoI's?
One review says the phone is good but not powerful enough to play Flash video, is this an issue?

Canalsman
04-08-2012, 19:25
Flash video is irrelevant to the use of POIs ...

It's an Android smartphone so you can use satnav software such as CoPilot, or view spots from the Google Earth data (see this thread http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/16923-pois-google-maps.html?highlight=kmlz)

Regards

Chris

Aunty P
08-08-2012, 17:54
Many thanks for the information.
I've ordered a phone but not from '3'.
I found a better deal on line with Mobiles.co.uk working out at £6.25 a month after claiming paybacks.
So long as everything goes to plan then I think I've done good.

Thanks again, Aunty P.

Le Foot
09-08-2012, 21:27
Hi All,
I have downloaded the POI file to my laptop, but would like to get it on to my sat nav. It is a 'Snooper' Can anyone tell me how to do this please. 'Fraid to say I'm not very 'techie'
Thanks,
Jackie

Canalsman
09-08-2012, 22:17
You're not the first to ask about the Snooper ...

Sadly, this satnav is locked down and it is not possible to add third party POIs :(

I would recommend that you consider purchasing either a Garmin or TomTom device. Some more recent TomTom models are also restricted, so before buying one of these check its specification, or enquire on this site.

Regards

Chris

Le Foot
10-08-2012, 17:55
Thanks Chris but OUCH!! I paid too much money for this sat nav to buy another..although I have still got my old garmin..wonder if I could download onto that? As this Snooper has a 'file' called 'User POI's' I would have thought that meant I could add whatever to it.
In it's defence, I have to say that we are very pleased with all its features, being able to input our length, height, weight etc., has kept us out of 'sticky' situations that we have previously found ourselves in. LOL :(
Regards,
Jackie

Canalsman
10-08-2012, 19:02
Thanks Chris but OUCH!! I paid too much money for this sat nav to buy another..although I have still got my old garmin..wonder if I could download onto that? As this Snooper has a 'file' called 'User POI's' I would have thought that meant I could add whatever to it.
In it's defence, I have to say that we are very pleased with all its features, being able to input our length, height, weight etc., has kept us out of 'sticky' situations that we have previously found ourselves in. LOL :(
Regards,
Jackie

If you do a search you'll find other threads on the site about the Snooper and its restrictions ...

Which model Garmin?

Le Foot
11-08-2012, 18:34
Can't remember which model, it is on loan to grandson at the minute, I will get it back pronto as we are off to Scotland for 2 weeks on 31st Aug. Nuvi comes to mind, does that sound familiar?

Canalsman
11-08-2012, 19:47
Can't remember which model, it is on loan to grandson at the minute, I will get it back pronto as we are off to Scotland for 2 weeks on 31st Aug. Nuvi comes to mind, does that sound familiar?

Nuvi should be fine - full instructions can be found in the POI file Help and Support forum :)

silverstreak
13-08-2012, 21:52
Not sure if this is the right place or whether this has been posted before but the kml files can be used in Google Maps.

First off login to google (from google search page, sign up if needs be) then click on maps at the top of the page.

Once onto the map page, click on My Places as highlighted in the image below

On this page you need to click on Create Map as highlighted

This will bring up a page where you can enter the name of the map with a short description, at this point you need to make the map 'Unlisted' this keeps it private. Once this is done you need to click on 'Import' as highlighted no.4 in the image below.

You are then able to choose the Google Earth KML file downloaded from here. Once you have chosen the correct file (be it Pubs or Wild Camping) you then click on Upload.

You will get an acknowledgement that the file is being uploaded, be patient it can take a short time.

You'll know if the upload has been successful as the map of the UK in the right pane will be populated with pins.

Once you're happy, just click on Done and it's sorted.

I have tried this on an Android device but don't think it will work on an iPhone due to the map being an Apple controlled app and rather limited.

The method to getting this to display on Google Maps is to add extra layers when in the layers menu, it will then hook up with Google 'My Maps' obviously for this to work a decent Wi-Fi or 3G connection is required.

Canalsman
13-08-2012, 23:27
Hi Silverstreak

This has been tried before, but it's not a very good way to access the data either on a PC or an Android phone.

There's a limit on the number of points you can access on an Android phone, as you've found ...

It's much better to use an app on an Android phone called KMLZtoEarth, which is free, and load the KML data onto the phone for access by this app.

More seriously, we have instances where members have uploaded the data and made it public (inadvertently?) , which is in breach of copyright.

We would prefer that this technique is not used, and that all the data is held locally by members on their PC, laptop, tablet or phone.

Thanks.

Chris

silverstreak
14-08-2012, 10:30
Hi Silverstreak

This has been tried before, but it's not a very good way to access the data either on a PC or an Android phone.

There's a limit on the number of points you can access on an Android phone, as you've found ...

It's much better to use an app on an Android phone called KMLZtoEarth, which is free, and load the KML data onto the phone for access by this app.

More seriously, we have instances where members have uploaded the data and made it public (inadvertently?) , which is in breach of copyright.

We would prefer that this technique is not used, and that all the data is held locally by members on their PC, laptop, tablet or phone.

Thanks.

Chris

A good point, would you like me to edit the post?

Canalsman
14-08-2012, 13:19
No it's fine - the warning after your post should be sufficient.

Chris

Punkawallah
14-08-2012, 21:53
Hi
have just downloaded POI and perplexed on how to use it. Main files seem to be in Excel , a 4000+ alphabetical list of places . How do I find somewhere where ever I happen to be ?

Also a list of 300+ pubs - again the same question.

Have managed to copy and paste URLs to get google map views of places.

Is there a quick way of finding places near where you are ?

For example, how do i find the various places in the database around Malvern for the show this weekend??
Not keen on paying the Show charges of £45 or so per night !!

Cheers

Chris

Canalsman
14-08-2012, 23:28
Have you read the User Guide? (I rather suspect not ...)

This outlines what you have to do in quite some detail :)

For further information, please have a look in this forum (Wild Camping & POI Support).

This thread provides a further explanation:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

Regards

Chris

Punkawallah
16-08-2012, 08:06
Thanks Canalman
I have now read the guidance and loaded files onto Google Earth on my laptop.
Cheers
Chris

frontslide
18-09-2012, 13:56
I have just been browsing the poi's ive dowloaded and noticed this one -0.69030, 54.33183, "CR Horcum (A169) (N Yorkshire)" When i drove passed the layby at the weekend the little W symbol didn't show on my Garmin but the Blue bank ones did as did the one near the Black Bull at Pickering any ideas?

amcjam
19-09-2012, 15:16
Hi
I'm trying to download latest poi database, but when I click the link, I get the following. The page you are looking for could not be found.

Any ideas

amc

Canalsman
19-09-2012, 15:40
Try this link and see if it works:

Wild Camping for Motorhomes - POI Downloads (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php)

amcjam
19-09-2012, 17:29
hi canalsman

same message

amc

Canalsman
19-09-2012, 17:38
Try a different browser if you have another one installed.

Try logging out from the site and clearing the cookies, then logging back in.

Failing that, please use the Contact Us option that appears at the bottom of every page - that will generate a Support Ticket for Phil (Site Admin) to investigate if there's a problem with your account.

Regards

Chris

LooDenney
19-09-2012, 20:27
When I click on the download button, I get the error 404, file not found on server message. Is it down or is it something I haven't done?

Admin
19-09-2012, 21:24
please try again

Gypsyrose
22-09-2012, 07:15
My computer skills are somewhat limited and I would like to download or even just view the POI download but although I am a full member, it keeps telling me to log in and I am, already?!! :juggle::juggle:
Running FF and I have read that can help?
All I want is to view a few places for trip next month to Yorkshire??
Guess I am beyond help?! :raofl:
Oops, it shows that I am a free member??? I am sure I am NOT? I paid my subs? Can anyone check please? Thx!

Canalsman
22-09-2012, 15:03
Please use the Contact Us option at the bottom of every page to raise a support ticket querying your membership status :)

Regards

Chris

Gypsyrose
22-09-2012, 18:59
Thanks, will try that!!

jeffleyshon
15-10-2012, 12:25
Hi

The last two POI updates will not expand from zip on a Mac. I have tried the default Archive Utility, The Unarchiver, Stuffit Expander. All are the latest versions. I'm using the latest update of Mountain Lion Mac OS 10.8.2.

Never had a problem before.

Can anyone help as this is the main reason for being a Member.

Thanks

Canalsman
15-10-2012, 17:55
I am not a Mac user so it's hard for me to advise.

Did the problem start after you updated your OS?

Phil, site admin, is a Mac user. He may be able to assist. He is best contacted using the 'Contact Us' option found at the bottom of every page on the site.

Regards

Chris

philstoke
30-07-2013, 07:54
I have read that an announcement is made when an updated POI is ready for download, is this announcement put in a new post or added to the end of an existing one, I have tried to look through most of the postings but could not find one of these messages, but concentration wavers after a few pages, lol
I would have thought the easiest way would be to put the date on the download page itself.

Also how do I add suggestions of locations for the POI, there seem to be suggestions from members for places scattered in different parts of the forum, is there somewhere central to post new wild camping locations.
Thanks Phil

shoey
30-07-2013, 09:53
Hi,
I'm having trouble with the POI download - I can see the locations in France but not UK - I don't know how to switch to the UK file - can you help ?
Cheers
Steve

POI Admin
30-07-2013, 20:17
I have read that an announcement is made when an updated POI is ready for download, is this announcement put in a new post or added to the end of an existing one, I have tried to look through most of the postings but could not find one of these messages, but concentration wavers after a few pages, lol
I would have thought the easiest way would be to put the date on the download page itself.

Also how do I add suggestions of locations for the POI, there seem to be suggestions from members for places scattered in different parts of the forum, is there somewhere central to post new wild camping locations.
Thanks Phil

A new thread is posted in the Community News forum when an update is released. The heading says which month it is ...

On the Site Navigation section of the site's home page you will see links to submit or update a POI location.

POI Admin
30-07-2013, 20:18
Hi,
I'm having trouble with the POI download - I can see the locations in France but not UK - I don't know how to switch to the UK file - can you help ?
Cheers
Steve

Is this with Google Earth? If so, choose the appropriate KML file to open: Wild Camp, Pub Stop, Tap or France ...

philstoke
30-07-2013, 20:44
A new thread is posted in the Community News forum when an update is released. The heading says which month it is ...

On the Site Navigation section of the site's home page you will see links to submit or update a POI location.

Thanks

johnmac185
30-07-2013, 21:10

Where do i find "Community News forum" please,,,

disregard have just found it,,,sorry,,,

MrSoapsud
05-11-2013, 11:24
Hi,
I've just joined - will post something in the new members bit at some stage.

We use Sygic on Android devices. Any chance of or interest in producing a version of the POIs for this platform? The Autoroute files aren't far off as Sygic can also make use of the extended info - get the street view URL in the right place and it opens up from Sygic.

According to the Sygic site, the format they want is:

longitude | latitude | name | address | phone | fax | web | email | short description | long description
The first 3 parameters are required (longitude, latitude, name)

If you start the file with
delimiter=|
and then use | as the delimiter, there's no need to put quotes around the fields (and it's better if you don't). Using | means the ,'s in some of the descriptions aren't an issue.
I put the street view address in the web field and it all just worked. You can leave out the other fields and just repeat the delimiter.

The extension on the file should be .txt

I can probably hack the data myself if needs be but it would be easier to start from the original stuff... ;-)

Thanks
Martin

Tezza33
05-11-2013, 11:47
Hi,

We use Sygic on Android devices. Any chance of or interest in producing a version of the POIs for this platform? The Autoroute files aren't far off as Sygic can also make use of the extended info - get the street view URL in the right place and it opens up from Sygic.

I can probably hack the data myself if needs be but it would be easier to start from the original stuff... ;-)

Thanks
Martin

Have you tried converting the files yourself using ITN Converter, it is free from here (http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en)
It converts many different formats including Sygic

MrSoapsud
05-11-2013, 12:49
Have you tried converting the files yourself using ITN Converter, it is free from here (http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en)
It converts many different formats including Sygic

Looks like it's more for "itineraries" than POIs?

POI Admin
05-11-2013, 13:03
Hi,

According to the Sygic site, the format they want is:

longitude | latitude | name | address | phone | fax | web | email | short description | long description
The first 3 parameters are required (longitude, latitude, name)

If you start the file with
delimiter=|
and then use | as the delimiter, there's no need to put quotes around the fields (and it's better if you don't). Using | means the ,'s in some of the descriptions aren't an issue.
I put the street view address in the web field and it all just worked. You can leave out the other fields and just repeat the delimiter.

The extension on the file should be .txt

Thanks
Martin

I think you're the first person to enquire about Sygic.

Had a quick Google, but there don't seem to be any tools that automate the conversion from any of the standard POI formats ...

If you find a way to automate this, please post your findings.

MrSoapsud
05-11-2013, 13:16
I think you're the first person to enquire about Sygic.

Had a quick Google, but there don't seem to be any tools that automate the conversion from any of the standard POI formats ...

If you find a way to automate this, please post your findings.

There's a tool to convert from the right delimited text to the import format you need for Sygic.

Just playing with it and having the comments in with the URL in the wild camp file is spoiling things slightly...

Am I right in thinking the autoroute files have the most detail of the csv-style formats?

Just thought if the person with the data who obviously generates a set of different csv files could add another but if I'm the only one asking I can see that's asking too much.

If I come up with something nice I'll contribute it...

Martin

POI Admin
05-11-2013, 17:03
There's a tool to convert from the right delimited text to the import format you need for Sygic.

Just playing with it and having the comments in with the URL in the wild camp file is spoiling things slightly...

Am I right in thinking the autoroute files have the most detail of the csv-style formats?

Just thought if the person with the data who obviously generates a set of different csv files could add another but if I'm the only one asking I can see that's asking too much.

If I come up with something nice I'll contribute it...

Martin

Yes - it's me that maintains the POI data and produces the download files.

It's worth reiterating how it's done:

The POIs are mapped using Memory-Map for the UK, and Carto Exploreur for France
GPX files are created from the data stored in these applications
All the other formats are created from the GPX data
The extended information, TinyURL links and comments, is contained in the GPX files, the Google Earth KML files, and the Autoroute CSV and AXE files (the other files just have the location name and latitude/longitude within them)

I am hesitant to add another format unless the conversion can be done in an automated fashion (which is how the current files are produced). If you can work out how to do that for Sygic devices, please let me know.

MrSoapsud
06-11-2013, 07:37
I am hesitant to add another format unless the conversion can be done in an automated fashion (which is how the current files are produced). If you can work out how to do that for Sygic devices, please let me know.

Can you share with me (perhaps via PM rather than in public?) the automated method you use to generate the autoroute CSV from the GPX file? I've been working in IT nigh on 30 years and one of my strengths is taking stuff other people have done and tweaking it for my purposes.

Thanks

POI Admin
06-11-2013, 16:06
Can you share with me (perhaps via PM rather than in public?) the automated method you use to generate the autoroute CSV from the GPX file? I've been working in IT nigh on 30 years and one of my strengths is taking stuff other people have done and tweaking it for my purposes.

Thanks

The Memory-Map MMO files are converted to GPX using GPS Utility.

Carto Exploreur can output direct to GPX.

I then use POI Edit, POI Converter and GPS Utility to create the different formats from the GPX base.

POI Converter is used to create the Autoroute CSV version.

Hope that helps ...

memoryman
10-02-2014, 17:47
Any idears

Hi Stator, I had the same prob when I was a full member, tried 'n' tried to download, got no help or advice, prob trouble my end, but download other stuff without a problem, its only this one I had trouble with,,, bit of a waist of money I thought, I have a mile of places to stay that I have found, but thought I could add to them, and add to the data base, I now have windows 8 but cant find the free trial for them, no point in joining again if I cant access the poi's, I'm sure it could be made easier, hope you get it to work .....S

Wooie1958
10-02-2014, 18:24
Hi Stator, I had the same prob when I was a full member, tried 'n' tried to download, got no help or advice, prob trouble my end, but download other stuff without a problem, its only this one I had trouble with,,, bit of a waist of money I thought, I have a mile of places to stay that I have found, but thought I could add to them, and add to the data base, I now have windows 8 but cant find the free trial for them, no point in joining again if I cant access the poi's, I'm sure it could be made easier, hope you get it to work .....S

Why are you looking for the Free Trial ?

It`s showing you are a Full Member so just try downloading the POI`s again.

If that doesn`t work use the " Contact Us " at the bottom right of the Home Page.

Firebird123
13-06-2014, 15:50
Have become a member , run through all instructions for downloading POIs unzip ok, will not open in Adobe..... made sure Google Earth loaded, cant get POI to open in Google Earth or open anywhere, (on my PC) HELP !

Admin
13-06-2014, 16:00
If you go into the folder called widcamping, then open the folder called Google Earth. There should be four files with an icon that looks like a blue marble. Click on wild camp and it should open Google Earth.

Pinhaw
11-07-2014, 22:49
Does anyone know how to stop the multiple entries for the same poi?

POI Admin
11-07-2014, 23:07
If Google Earth functions the same way on Apple devices as it does on a PC, repeatedly opening the same KML file may repeatedly add the POIs into My Places.

That's my best guess ...

Sky
11-07-2014, 23:15
That's just what it does. I had the same problem a few years ago. Once you've opened the .kml file for the first time, open it any subsequent time from within the program and not by clicking on the .kml file.

Parttimenick
12-09-2014, 10:00
I am a new member and have just downloaded the POI files and "instructions" - which aren't much use to me! Let's presume that I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to computers!

How do I get to see any of these POIs on a map? I have a Garmin Camper GPS - can I put the POIs on that? When I look the Garmin sub-directory, all I could see was an XL spreadsheet with GPS coordinates and names of sites but in that format I can't search to find places in an area.

I want to be able to search the POIs to find a area - how do I do this? Some clear and idiot-proof instructions would be helpful. As internet is intermittent, I don't have time to troll through an endless list of blogs entries and hope that a blot title will make sense, so I would appreciate some assistance.

I am using a PC with Windows 7 on it and also have a Garmin GPS & an iPad 4.

Part-Time Nick

POI Admin
12-09-2014, 13:12
Welcome :D

Hopefully these three threads will help:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12541-garmin-nuvi-poi-installation.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/38141-step-step-guide-install-poi-files-ipad-iphone-updated-july-2014-a.html

sdlad1
16-10-2014, 01:00
Hi does anyone know where i can get points of interest for my autotrail 13ELE2000

I;m a newbie

thanks

Martin

Todtod
06-05-2015, 15:40
I have the wild camp App on my Android phone (samsung S111) but every time I open it I have to download the POI's again! Is there a way of keeping them on the app and just update them as necessary? Thanks

MikeH
06-05-2015, 16:46
I have the wild camp App on my Android phone (samsung S111) but every time I open it I have to download the POI's again! Is there a way of keeping them on the app and just update them as necessary? Thanks

You don`t have to download them again. Once you have them in your device, you can choose which to display using the next menu along.

Then as new updates become available, you can tap the W and "Check for updates" to download them.

oppy
06-05-2015, 21:31
My dear Mr Admin, Why don't we have a 'Numpty ' section ? I'm sure that I won't be the only contributor. It was great to finally meet up with you at Hereford, but it would have been useful to know that you were also assisting those in the know to sort out the POI files. I'm still confused, and I suppose that at the end of the year I will have to send my sat nav off to be updated. Moan over, though. My current settings appear to be great, but I will find out after Sunday when the 'Oppy's set off to invade La Belle France for six weeks.
Thanx for a terrific 'e' site.
'Oppy
aka
Peter (& Sue of course)

Silver Tourist
07-05-2015, 06:53
I have just downloaded poi,s and cannot work out how to use it. The icons across the top of the page show the wild camping 'W' a little man holding a flag a world map icon a share and a ?.
It shows my location on the large map . I cannot find a search facility for a stopover. Can anyone help please?
Also does anyone know if I can download the poi,s onto a Snooper s5000 venture, this sat nav device is specifically designed for motor homes and caravans and is promoted by the caravan club so I would be surprised if it is not supported but I cannot find it listed.
Thank you,
David

Silver Tourist
07-05-2015, 07:52
I have managed to download the file onto my PC by choosing the download to PC/Sat nav option, My problem now is how to transfer the file to my Snooper S5000 Sat nav device.
Can anyone help please?
I can inspect, repair and certify an aeroplane to fly with 350 passengers on board , I can strip inspect and rebuild a car or motorbike ,including the engine I can even build a PC. But can I work out how to drop a simple programme on a PC or how modern day vehicle electrics work in conjunction with the ECU ? Nooooo :confused:

Admin
07-05-2015, 11:13
I have managed to download the file onto my PC by choosing the download to PC/Sat nav option, My problem now is how to transfer the file to my Snooper S5000 Sat nav device.
Can anyone help please?
I can inspect, repair and certify an aeroplane to fly with 350 passengers on board , I can strip inspect and rebuild a car or motorbike ,including the engine I can even build a PC. But can I work out how to drop a simple programme on a PC or how modern day vehicle electrics work in conjunction with the ECU ? Nooooo :confused:

You cannot use the POI files on a Snooper device, Snooper have refused to allow us to use their format and will not give us a licence to use it either.

Silver Tourist
07-05-2015, 17:21
Right, thank you for that. I will have to use my apple device then

DJD
09-05-2015, 07:58
I activated my PC and downloaded the POI's in April.
I want to update the POI's but my PC apparently is not listed as activated although the files were downloaded. It doesnt allow me now to do anything. When I try to deactivate the PC and start over it allows me to select the decativate button and tells me its deactivated however I cant reacivate it as it tells me again that the files were downloaded in April and its still active!!! When I try and update the POI's it returns the error message that there is no ID recognised so nothing can be done.

So all in all I am totally stuck in a loop.

I have deleated all the WC cookies to try and restore my PC to its original state but this doesnt overcome the problem and deleted tha POI folder and contents but to no effect - how can I completely unistall all traces of WC so I can start again from scratch?
All in all I cant help feeling that this new download process is more trouble than its worth and to be honest is far less manageable than the old system.

Cheers
John

Admin
09-05-2015, 10:01
I activated my PC and downloaded the POI's in April.
I want to update the POI's but my PC apparently is not listed as activated although the files were downloaded. It doesnt allow me now to do anything. When I try to deactivate the PC and start over it allows me to select the decativate button and tells me its deactivated however I cant reacivate it as it tells me again that the files were downloaded in April and its still active!!! When I try and update the POI's it returns the error message that there is no ID recognised so nothing can be done.

So all in all I am totally stuck in a loop.

I have deleated all the WC cookies to try and restore my PC to its original state but this doesnt overcome the problem and deleted tha POI folder and contents but to no effect - how can I completely unistall all traces of WC so I can start again from scratch?
All in all I cant help feeling that this new download process is more trouble than its worth and to be honest is far less manageable than the old system.

Cheers
John

Please try and activate the PC again, remember to get a new activation code from the POI downloads page.

fernando
11-05-2015, 15:34
I spent several hours yesterday downloading the app and trying to find the page/link or whatever to find overnight stops without success, finally found POI but still no map of stops or inf. Very frustrating. Found another web page this morning and within minutes I have a print out of sites in the UK!! disappointed. I will still use Wildcamping for other info but not for stops.:mad2:

Woodwose
20-05-2015, 20:21
......be cause a message flashes up, "can't download POI's". I have an android tablet. I geta lovely map, just like the one in my AA road atlas, but no llocations, so not a lot of good then.

Advice please.

Admin
20-05-2015, 21:44
......be cause a message flashes up, "can't download POI's". I have an android tablet. I geta lovely map, just like the one in my AA road atlas, but no llocations, so not a lot of good then.

Advice please.

Can you tell me which device you are using, and how much free memory you have?

I can see that the POI files were sent you your device at 21:04 this evening, so there must be a problem.

Admin
20-05-2015, 21:49
I spent several hours yesterday downloading the app and trying to find the page/link or whatever to find overnight stops without success, finally found POI but still no map of stops or inf. Very frustrating. Found another web page this morning and within minutes I have a print out of sites in the UK!! disappointed. I will still use Wildcamping for other info but not for stops.:mad2:

I can see that you successfully download, installed and activated the Android APP on your Galaxy Ace 4. I can also see that you downloaded the POI files to it.
Did you move the map to your location, then turn on the POI sets by clicking on the icon of a man holding a flag?

Woodwose
23-05-2015, 13:32
Can you tell me which device you are using, and how much free memory you have?

I can see that the POI files were sent you your device at 21:04 this evening, so there must be a problem.

I have 5.5 GB total space on an Acer Icons B1 tablet. About 20 sites with the W icon have been downloaded, I assume these are samples I've seen referred to elsewhere. Total download onto the wild camping site is 14.9 Mb.

POI Admin
23-05-2015, 13:43
That's correct ...

Free Members can download a sample set as a 'try before you buy' option.

To access the full set of POI data, and to entitle you to other benefits such as supplier discounts, insurance discounts etc, you need to become a Full Member.

Full details are here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/payments.php

Woodwose
26-05-2015, 20:05
But I am a paid up member, paid you a couple of weeks ago. Please check your records.

POI Admin
26-05-2015, 21:32
But I am a paid up member, paid you a couple of weeks ago. Please check your records.

Please use the Contact Us link to send a message to Admin ... under your user name it is showing Free Member.

Woodwose
29-05-2015, 19:38
Sorry lads, I've checked my own records and the transaction didn't go through. Although my desktop PC at home handles your site fine, my android tablet I use when travelling gives no end of trouble, and as you can imagine it's when I'm travelling that I need the POI's.

Off to A&E now to get my foot removed from my mouth.

Tezza33
29-05-2015, 21:00
Sorry lads, I've checked my own records and the transaction didn't go through. Although my desktop PC at home handles your site fine, my android tablet I use when travelling gives no end of trouble, and as you can imagine it's when I'm travelling that I need the POI's.

Off to A&E now to get my foot removed from my mouth.You are not the first and your apologetic post says a lot about you, I hope A&E are gentle 30639

RichardA
01-06-2015, 06:56
Dear Someone,

Just posted this message elsewhere - but it was probably the wrong place - so here goes again! As you can guess, I haven't downloaded a new file for a while. Just attempted to install the downloader but not getting anywhere. Can you please offer some advice.

- Running Windows 8.1
- Installed Java
- Downloaded the 'downloader'
- Activated device (succesfully)

...but it goes no further. I get no messages about available updates and there seems no way to 'force' an download/update. If I select 'Open POI folder' the app just closes.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Abrahams

MikeH
01-06-2015, 09:22
After activating, the menu should change so that you get an option to "Check for POI updates". Click that and they should download.

I just checked it on my Win7 PC and Win8.1 laptop and its working here.

Let me know how you get on please.

Dear Someone,

Just posted this message elsewhere - but it was probably the wrong place - so here goes again! As you can guess, I haven't downloaded a new file for a while. Just attempted to install the downloader but not getting anywhere. Can you please offer some advice.

- Running Windows 8.1
- Installed Java
- Downloaded the 'downloader'
- Activated device (succesfully)

...but it goes no further. I get no messages about available updates and there seems no way to 'force' an download/update. If I select 'Open POI folder' the app just closes.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Abrahams

RichardA
01-06-2015, 11:57
After activating, the menu should change so that you get an option to "Check for POI updates". Click that and they should download.

I just checked it on my Win7 PC and Win8.1 laptop and its working here.

Let me know how you get on please.

Mike,

I'm afraid that although the web site shows that the 'Downloader' is activated on my PC, the menu options haven't changed - so I don't get to see "Check for POI updates".

However, I posted this issue on another thread("Windows POI Downloader APP") and I was advised that I can still download the zip file directly from the web site. Which I've done. And all is well.

Many thanks.

Richard Abrahams

MikeH
01-06-2015, 12:34
Mike,

I'm afraid that although the web site shows that the 'Downloader' is activated on my PC, the menu options haven't changed - so I don't get to see "Check for POI updates".

However, I posted this issue on another thread("Windows POI Downloader APP") and I was advised that I can still download the zip file directly from the web site. Which I've done. And all is well.

Many thanks.

Richard Abrahams

Ok, thats got you going for now but we`re still trying to work out whats happening here. For some reason, your PC isnt registering that its activated.

RamblingLad
01-06-2015, 16:42
[QUOTE=Canalsman;124474]This is the place to post any questions about the Wild Camping Map & POI database

We have just returned from a trip and wish to offer/amend some database entries
How best to offer them?

Mul
01-06-2015, 17:04

POI Admin
01-06-2015, 18:17
We have just returned from a trip and wish to offer/amend some database entries
How best to offer them?

Please follow this link:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-location-additions-updates/

... and give as much info as possible, but in particular the latitude and longitude.

PhillyH
09-06-2015, 09:20

I know in the past I managed to download and print off a hard copy. Now I can't seem to be able to do so. I don't have any of the apps/tools listed. And really do prefer hard copy.

Paulcaz
17-08-2015, 08:34
Hi all
I am looking for the POI download but cant seem to find anything, is it because I'm a Newbie at the moment or am I just looking in the wrong place?
Thanks in advance
Paul

Wooie1958
17-08-2015, 09:08
You only have access to the complete POI Downloads once you become a Full Member see here http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/payments.php

I believe there are selection of Sample POI`s available to Free Members which i think are in the POI Download section.

Paulcaz
17-08-2015, 09:27
Thanks for your help I will check out the full membership :camper:

Admin
17-08-2015, 09:39
Hi all
I am looking for the POI download but cant seem to find anything, is it because I'm a Newbie at the moment or am I just looking in the wrong place?
Thanks in advance
Paul

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php

tidewatcher
22-10-2015, 07:33
Downloaded the September updates onto the iPad, no problem. On the iPhone it just tries to download then the "Failed to download" message comes up. Despite using the "try again" option they will not download. I had a similar problem the first time I joined but after clearing some memory the files did download. This time I have cleared over 4gb of free storage and it still refuses to work.

Now despite selecting the wild camping spots there is nothing on the map, however the "previous" set of POI's are still on Maps with Me.

Also while I was away in France both the iPhone and the iPad had to be re-activated, not always the easiest action to take when not on wifi. Is this normal?

Hey Ho.....

Admin
22-10-2015, 09:34
Downloaded the September updates onto the iPad, no problem. On the iPhone it just tries to download then the "Failed to download" message comes up. Despite using the "try again" option they will not download. I had a similar problem the first time I joined but after clearing some memory the files did download. This time I have cleared over 4gb of free storage and it still refuses to work.

Now despite selecting the wild camping spots there is nothing on the map, however the "previous" set of POI's are still on Maps with Me.

Also while I was away in France both the iPhone and the iPad had to be re-activated, not always the easiest action to take when not on wifi. Is this normal?

Hey Ho.....

Hello,

The reactivation requirement was unfortunately due to the IOS9 update from Apple.

With limited space on your device the system cannot decompress the download and fails, this leaves a corrupt version of the POI files. Please delete the APP from your iPad and try again. If you get the message that the download failed please try again until it works.

Admin

jeanette
22-10-2015, 13:14
Do I have to do the updates on I-pad or will it be automatic don't think that the IOS9 update has been done :rolleyes2:

Admin
22-10-2015, 17:18
Do I have to do the updates on I-pad or will it be automatic don't think that the IOS9 update has been done :rolleyes2:

Hi,

To update the POI files stored on the device you need to do the following:

1) Open the APP.
2) Click on the W in the top left corner.
3) Click "Check for updates"
4) The device will now tell you if there are updates, if there are then click yes to download them.

Thanks

tidewatcher
23-10-2015, 09:42
Hello,

The reactivation requirement was unfortunately due to the IOS9 update from Apple.

With limited space on your device the system cannot decompress the download and fails, this leaves a corrupt version of the POI files. Please delete the APP from your iPad and try again. If you get the message that the download failed please try again until it works.

Admin

iPad was fine, I then removed the app from the iPhone and re-installed it, switching off the phone in between. tried again and it still failed to download but after four or five "retry's" it loaded. A bit odd but OK now. Thanks for your help, ever thought of giving TalkTalk a hand.....

bamo123
29-10-2015, 12:51
Hi

I am trying to register a new device to download the POI files but I get a message "maximum devices already registered.
Can I remove devices I no longer use and register a new one.
Thanks

Fletton
29-10-2015, 13:30
Hi

I am trying to register a new device to download the POI files but I get a message "maximum devices already registered.
Can I remove devices I no longer use and register a new one.
Thanks

Yes.. Click on POI Option at top of page... Scroll down to your active devices... Click "deactivate" on required device..

Mick Browne
22-04-2016, 22:10
I have downloaded the POI file. I have the activation code. When I try to open the the file to put the activation code in the file doesn't open. I have the file(s) in the download folder and have a shortcut on the desktop as well as the app page. I am on windows 8.1. I have closed down and restarted the computer. I have been on this over 2 hrs and about to use the computer as a frizby. I don't think it will do the computer much good though.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mick

Admin
22-04-2016, 22:26
I have downloaded the POI file. I have the activation code. When I try to open the the file to put the activation code in the file doesn't open. I have the file(s) in the download folder and have a shortcut on the desktop as well as the app page. I am on windows 8.1. I have closed down and restarted the computer. I have been on this over 2 hrs and about to use the computer as a frizby. I don't think it will do the computer much good though.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mick

Hello,

You can browse the POI locations on the online map: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POIMap.php

Are you trying to activate the PC poi downloader?

Mick Browne
22-04-2016, 22:40
Hello,

You can browse the POI locations on the online map: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POIMap.php

Are you trying to activate the PC poi downloader?

Admin.
Yes I am.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have just moved forward a bit but not sure what's wrong now.

I must have activated it at some point after joining as I have just de activated the computer. But I never had the app loaded.
Yes I can open the POI maps on the web site.
I didn't have an up to date Java loaded. Now done this.
The web site tells me now I do not have a computer registered.
The app tells me the PC is activated. I cannot de activate it from the app.
Try to download the POI's from the app and error message "sorry, there was an error, Device ID not found"
How can I input the new activation code?
Thanks.
Mick

Admin
22-04-2016, 22:47
Admin.
Yes I am.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have just moved forward a bit but not sure what's wrong now.

I must have activated it at some point after joining as I have just de activated the computer. But I never had the app loaded.
Yes I can open the POI maps on the web site.
I didn't have an up to date Java loaded. Now done this.
The web site tells me now I do not have a computer registered.
The app tells me the PC is activated. I cannot de activate it from the app.
Try to download the POI's from the app and error message "sorry, there was an error, Device ID not found"
How can I input the new activation code?
Thanks.
Mick

It will be easier for you to download the zip, it contains the same files. You can download it under the "Wild Camping and Toilet POI ZIP file downloads"

Mick Browne
22-04-2016, 22:54
It will be easier for you to download the zip, it contains the same files. You can download it under the "Wild Camping and Toilet POI ZIP file downloads"

Thanks Admin. Managed that.
I will have a mess around here.
Regards.
Mick

Arcadia
02-05-2016, 12:21
Not sure what I've done but when searching for holiday - start this Thursday - I've lost all the CU, CR etc details from the map.
Any help greatly appreciated.
A

POI Admin
02-05-2016, 18:55
Not sure what I've done but when searching for holiday - start this Thursday - I've lost all the CU, CR etc details from the map.
A

Which map?

The online map, or the app map?

Pete M
09-06-2016, 04:48
On my Iphone I can only see approx a 50 mile radius from where I am of POI's , is this how the app works?
I has hoping it would cover the whole country?

Obanboy666
09-06-2016, 04:55
On my Iphone I can only see approx a 50 mile radius from where I am of POI's , is this how the app works?
I has hoping it would cover the whole country?

Top left of screen click on symbol of man holding flag, choose poi set......
At bottom alter range to what you wish, the default is 50 miles.

Wooie1958
09-06-2016, 05:02
Mine`s on Android but it should be similar.

Touch little man with flag and choose a POI set then use slider at the bottom to set the distance anywhere between 50 sq miles and 300 sq miles, then click Ok.

Admin
09-06-2016, 07:36
A

If you are referring to the online map, there are small buttons at the bottom of the map that allow you to turn each poi type on an off.

Pete M
09-06-2016, 09:20
Top left of screen click on symbol of man holding flag, choose poi set......
At bottom alter range to what you wish, the default is 50 miles.

Many thanks, when I tried last night I moved the slider to the far right (300) and the app seemed to crash, it didn't show any POI's and closed the app itself.
I've just tried again and the same happens but if you reduce the area it works OK!

Admin
09-06-2016, 13:08
Many thanks, when I tried last night I moved the slider to the far right (300) and the app seemed to crash, it didn't show any POI's and closed the app itself.
I've just tried again and the same happens but if you reduce the area it works OK!

This maybe an issue with the power of your phone.

Crabstix
15-07-2016, 20:05
Do you have to be a paid member to download the poi map???
Thanks

POI Admin
15-07-2016, 20:31
Yes, otherwise you only have access to sample locations.

But I see you are a full member, so why do you ask?

Jim Crow
16-07-2016, 13:22
I have just updated the app and now I cannot activate it. The message says that I have too many devices and so I can't use it. Help!

Admin
16-07-2016, 13:39
I have just updated the app and now I cannot activate it. The message says that I have too many devices and so I can't use it. Help!

Hello,

You can manage your devices at the bottom of the POI Downloads page:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php

Crabstix
16-07-2016, 13:49
It says on the app that my iPhone's deactivated and can't get on to the map showing all the locations

Seamoor
29-07-2016, 09:59
Hi if I get a map on screen of an area I want to visit, with pois on it. Can I print that section of the map if so how would I do this. We have used pois from Shetland to lands end and highly recommend it. But some areas I cannot get signals to bring up on iPad, so if I could print a small map it would help

Admin
29-07-2016, 10:03
Hi if I get a map on screen of an area I want to visit, with pois on it. Can I print that section of the map if so how would I do this. We have used pois from Shetland to lands end and highly recommend it. But some areas I cannot get signals to bring up on iPad, so if I could print a small map it would help

You could do this using the online map and take print screens from it.

Seamoor
29-07-2016, 10:10
Thank you for the info, but how do I do this.

Purplenigella
03-08-2016, 16:15
Hi, I'm having trouble working out how to download the POI on a Windows phone (Nokia Lumia) as all the downloads seem to be either Apple or Android.

I must be missing something somewhere, can you help (usually very IT literate).

Thanks
Liz

POI Admin
04-08-2016, 20:08
Hi, I'm having trouble working out how to download the POI on a Windows phone (Nokia Lumia) as all the downloads seem to be either Apple or Android.

I must be missing something somewhere, can you help (usually very IT literate).

Thanks
Liz

There isn't an app for Windows Phone.

Your options are to use a satnav app and load the POIs manually, or if you have access to the internet make use of the online POI Map.

Dowel
22-08-2016, 22:14
Having finally decided to become a full member I would be grateful for some help in understanding what hardware I need to download and run the wild camping app.

As we don't have any devices with mobile data capability I guess we need to download and save some maps and mapping or navigation apps to run them.

We do have an iPad 4 with GPS (MD510B/A - 16GB Apple iPad Black Wi-Fi 9.7" Retina IPS 2048x1536 Multi-touch, GPS, iOS 7, 4th Generation).

Is iOS 7.1.1 ok or do we need a later iOS to run the WildCamping app?

I believe that the free version of copilot (Version: 9.6.4.100, Updated: 21 December 2015)
will run on this iPad and iOS 6 or later. Can the POIs be used with this combination?

Have I got this somewhere near right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I have spent some time reading through the threads on this subject but didn't find anything that addresses this question, I guess everyone else knows this basic stuff :rolleyes2:

I have been trialing an Asus 7" Android tablet with Copilot, Navfree and Navmii but sadly the tablet stopped working recently and I have not yet managed to get it back for warranty repair. I didn't try to import the sample POIs into the tablet.

We do have an old iPhone but it runs iOS 5 so too old to be of much use as best I can tell. Our satnav is also old, has a small screen and does not have the facility to upload POIs or even a memory card slot. Still works well though in most other respects. I am writing this on a windows 7 laptop but it has no GPS receiver or software!

Any advice gratefully received :wave:

POI Admin
23-08-2016, 00:16

This thread should tell you all you need to know about the Wild Camping app:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-wild-camping-app-version-2-a.html

However it does require a data connection so you would only be able to use it when using a wi-fi connection.

Many people use maps.me which is free, and has offline maps, and then load the POIs onto the device. This thread gives full details about how to load our POIs:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/53395-using-poi-kml-files-maps-me-maps-me.html

CoPilot can also be used with our POIs, though iOS devices may be problematic. This thread may help:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/12548-copilot-8-poi-installation.html

Dowel
08-09-2016, 16:07
Hi admin and thanks for your advice above.

As our starting point was no mobile data I went to the second link but it soon became apparent that the iPad4 I mentioned in my enquiry above had no GPS either. A lesson that I should not rely upon specifications posted on the web!
We successfully saved the POIs to two iPads the one which we discovered lacked GPS then another with GPS and data via a SIM card.
The installations went well although we initially thought the page where we could select to use with maps.me would appear at the point when the app downloaded from the App Store.

We now had one iPad with POIs on a zoomable map via maps.me but no GPS location or data link, but still useful for searching the maps for POIs and route planning. This is one of the tasks where our old satnav fails as, due to the lack of a real map context and the small screen size, one can not zoom in to locate oneself by reference to what can be seen outside. On the other hand it will always get you to a destination although sometimes by a route different to the one you would have chosen. We do have a fallback to “The Phillips Great Road Atlas” 315 pages which claims to show even the smallest country lane…. But it is big, unwieldy and slightly daunting to those not keen on map reading!

The other, an iPad mini with GPS and data also has the maps.me navigation app. I think the maps look very similar to those used by Navmii. Although we took both iPads with us for a short break we haven’t tried maps.me plus POIs on the iPad mini as a satnav yet. We preferred, this time, to use our old Mio satnav whilst driving because of its simplicity and clear spoken directions. We need to practise a bit with maps.me to get to know how best to use it first.

On our return I sought and found the thread about use with a Laptop PC so now have that working too with Google earth maps. Hoping that my Asus Android will be fixed soon so I can experiment more.
Some questions arose as we went through this learning process but they were resolved by trial and error and pressing buttons to see what happened!

Thanks for getting us started with the direction to Maps.me and the POI downloader for .kml files

P.S. The Bridge PH at Napton, E of Southam Warks, has been closed for some time, we think last year maybe longer. Dialled their number to check and no longer recognised.

POI Admin
08-09-2016, 16:29
I'm glad you've had some success.

maps.me uses OpenStreetMaps and I expect Navmii does too - that's why they look similar.

Thanks for the update on The Bridge - I've removed it from the POIs.

k3nnyj
25-10-2016, 09:56
Hi
I am looking at poi but when i click on icons i dont get anything, ie info on the poi. I am using my mobile i dont have lsptop or pc
Ta
Kenny

Admin
25-10-2016, 09:58
Hi
I am looking at poi but when i click on icons i dont get anything, ie info on the poi. I am using my mobile i dont have lsptop or pc
Ta
Kenny

Hi,

If you are using the online POI map then the info appears on the righthand side.

Admin

Soob
30-12-2016, 16:34
hi sorry for the ignorance but I can't find many Cornwall spots eg I search for cr polruan 1 and nothings found?

POI Admin
30-12-2016, 18:53

Free members only have access to a very small sample of the POIs. You need to subscribe to access them all.

Steve H
04-01-2017, 12:14
When I choose POI map the system does not respond. Other areas appear ok (this page for example).
I was trying to see if I could download the poi on to aguri sat nav, but having read wild map and POI guide do not seem to be able to see how I would do it ( I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to these things) but did see the comment to read the instructions first.
Am I just thick or can it not be done
Thanks
Steve

POI Admin
04-01-2017, 13:58
The online POI Map can take a little while to load if you have a slow Internet connection.

Try restarting the device and check your connection.

tan-all-over
06-01-2017, 14:56
Hi, I get as far as the map and have got my code but do not see any request for it to be entered, I always come back to the same place, it must be me. Also I get a notice saying "consider using another browser" would this stop the request for code ? I would not have thought so. Please help. Chris

Admin
06-01-2017, 15:15
Hi, I get as far as the map and have got my code but do not see any request for it to be entered, I always come back to the same place, it must be me. Also I get a notice saying "consider using another browser" would this stop the request for code ? I would not have thought so. Please help. Chris

Are you using the app on an Apple Device or Android?
Have you downloaded the app from the app store?
Have you clicked on the green w in the top left corner and then selected "activate this device"?

Steve000
09-01-2017, 10:47
Hi
I am trying to download the POI's onto Maps Me, using an Android tablet.
I have followed the POI download but on selecting Map Me and the WC files, they are put straight onto Google earth without getting an "Open in" choice.
Can anyone help?
Regards Steve

Admin
09-01-2017, 11:47
Does it offer you the option to open in maps.me

Steve000
09-01-2017, 15:30
No it goes straight to downloading to Google maps.
If I hold down the WC (for example) it gives me a choice of 5 options starting with "open in a new tab", but no obvious way of opening in Maps Me.
I'm stumped!

Admin
09-01-2017, 16:25
No it goes straight to downloading to Google maps.
If I hold down the WC (for example) it gives me a choice of 5 options starting with "open in a new tab", but no obvious way of opening in Maps Me.
I'm stumped!

Try uninstalling maps.me and reinstalling on your mobile device.

Steve000
09-01-2017, 17:17
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work but I have now uninstalled Google maps and I have had some success.
I have now managed to get WC sites and Pub sites installed but they are all shown with the same symbol, a star.
I can live with this if I have to but if anyone has any idea how to put a correct symbol on that would be much better?

ronecc
08-02-2017, 14:53
Hi. Sorry about this. I am not tech savvy. I am working on my pc and have the activation code for the POI's. I want to put them onto an iPad. I have downloaded the app to the iPad okay, but there are no POI's showing. I have just found a zip file with POI's on and have downloaded it, on my pc. Sorry about all this, but your instructions do not seem to be compatible with what is coming out of my iPad. If I now email the zip file to my iPad, can I then open them in the app? Also I wanted the POI's for Iberia, but the app is only showing Britain and France.

POI Admin
08-02-2017, 19:56
To access the Iberia POIs in the app you need to select the Custom POI set. This is because this version of the app was developed prior to the introduction of the Iberia POIs.

The app requires an Internet connection to work because the base map is Google Maps.

For offline use consider using maps.me which is a free app. Full instructions for downloading the POIs for use with this app can be found here:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/53395-using-poi-kml-files-maps-me-maps-me.html

sambader
15-02-2017, 20:11
Downloaded both versions of the app.

Signed in, activated.

Paid for membership.

Downloaded new poi several times.

Still none.

POI Admin
15-02-2017, 20:25
Please have a read through the instructions for the app here:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-wild-camping-app-version-2-a.html

Hopefully that will help resolve your problem.

Mul
15-02-2017, 20:38

Signed in, activated.

Paid for membership.

Still none.

Hello. :wave:

Welcome !

Bit.

More.

Info.

Required.

Device ?

What.

Done.

Etc.

Admin.

Usually.

Very.

Good.

!

!

Chrz.

Mul.

P.s.

Think.

Yur.

Dictionary.

Kaput.

Too.

Admin
15-02-2017, 20:51

Signed in, activated.

Paid for membership.

Still none.

Hello,

Have you clicked on the crosshairs to center the map on your location?
Have you clicked on the icon of the man with the flag and activated the POI locations?

Admin

sambader
16-02-2017, 12:52
Hello,

Have you clicked on the crosshairs to center the map on your location?
Have you clicked on the icon of the man with the flag and activated the POI locations?

Admin

Hi - tried again this morning and all is working - thanks

sambader
16-02-2017, 12:55
Hello. :wave:

Welcome !

Bit.

More.

Info.

Required.

Device ?

What.

Done.

Etc.

Admin.

Usually.

Very.

Good.

!

!

Chrz.

Mul.

P.s.

Think.

Yur.

Dictionary.

Kaput.

Too.

Why is that camper related forums attract a disproportionate number of sneery, smart-ass commentators?

I was being succinct. I could do similar now. But I'll resist :)

Mul
16-02-2017, 16:29
Probs 4 same reason camper related forums attract a disproportionate number of folks who can't be polite enuf to say please or thanks.

& Don't 4get in that lot I was prepared to help with a bit more info reqd :wave:

Glad ya got sorted, POI's are great and a lot of hard time and effort goes into them.

Onwards.

Chrz Mul.

sambader
16-02-2017, 22:23
Probs 4 same reason camper related forums attract a disproportionate number of folks who can't be polite enuf to say please or thanks.

& Don't 4get in that lot I was prepared to help with a bit more info reqd :wave:

Glad ya got sorted, POI's are great and a lot of hard time and effort goes into them.

Onwards.

Chrz Mul.

They're excellent - looking forward to trying them out.

Surprised to see so few in the south west though. Is that because there are more restrictions down there or just because less people have explored/reported?

POI Admin
16-02-2017, 22:43
Some counties in England are not motorhome friendly - for example Northumberland, Devon and Cornwall.

As a result there are fewer POIs. It tends to discourage our members from going there which in turn reduces the number of locations submitted.

sambader
16-02-2017, 22:48
Some counties in England are not motorhome friendly - for example Northumberland, Devon and Cornwall.

As a result there are fewer POIs. It tends to discourage our members from going there which in turn reduces the number of locations submitted.

Thought that might be so. Dartmoor had been top of our list until we learned about the no overnight sleeping rule.

At least we can now see which other places to head to :)

Teejay
13-03-2017, 10:21
Hi
Admittedly I've not searched the forum for answers to these questions.

Each time I download the POI if fills my downloads folder (Android phone). Is there a way that I can stop 200+ files and *.png images cluttering this folder? An ini file that I can amend or similar?

Edit:
Searched and found answered this question, doh.

thanks
Teejay

jeanette
24-03-2017, 22:44
Hi I've been trying to install the new POI's on an iPad but it'll not let me I usually have no problem any help will be grateful and as easy as possible please thanks

QueenDean
29-03-2017, 18:30
Is there anywhere to find out what the symbols mean on the POI? for example I understand PH is a public house and LB is a layby but there are others I just dont know what they mean. Any insight would be great.

Johnnygm7lsi
29-03-2017, 18:39
Is there anywhere to find out what the symbols mean on the POI? for example I understand PH is a public house and LB is a layby but there are others I just dont know what they mean. Any insight would be great.

If you click on the POI Map at the top of this page, they are all listed on the RHS of the page.

Admin
29-03-2017, 20:39

You could read the user guides on the POI downloads page.

jacksatlast
30-03-2017, 12:22
Sorry if this a repet question. I struggle on forums.

Downloaded the latest POI files onto my desk top on my Apple Mac laptop. Opened via Google earth itself. but, only France stops show. No GB ones for wild Campling just WC's

Please can you help

I am using an Apple Mac Laptop running 10.7.5

Never had issues before.

Thanks
Jackie

mygrassisblue
03-04-2017, 11:37
I can't get the POI map to open in Edge.
Anybody else having a problem with it?

mygrassisblue
03-04-2017, 11:45
Just tried it in Avast browser (Google based) and it is working ok so must be a problem with Microsoft Edge or my laptop.

Admin
03-04-2017, 11:54
Just tried it in Avast browser (Google based) and it is working ok so must be a problem with Microsoft Edge or my laptop.

Hello, Microsoft keep moving the goal posts. We do try and keep up :)

Admin
03-04-2017, 11:54
Sorry if this a repet question. I struggle on forums.

Downloaded the latest POI files onto my desk top on my Apple Mac laptop. Opened via Google earth itself. but, only France stops show. No GB ones for wild Campling just WC's

Please can you help

I am using an Apple Mac Laptop running 10.7.5

Never had issues before.

Thanks
Jackie

Are you only opening the france.kml?

installer
10-04-2017, 16:03
The POI map has never worked for me using Firefox browser (just get a blank map with no locations) !

I have to use IE for it to work.

Anyone else having problems with Firefox?

StevenJ
10-04-2017, 16:54
It's working for me with firefox albeit very slowly

Colin Smith
29-05-2017, 20:18
Anyone around who can help please? I have done this before with the old App and know it works. Trying now with the new App on a newphone and can't seem to download a file (or find the correct file to download).

App V2.1 is loaded
Device is activated
Touching the man with the flag icon I can get the menu with Gt Britain/France/Toilets/Custom
If I choose Gt Britain and change slider at bottom to 300Sqr m it only shows 56 POIs. I know there are hundreds more so what am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated...

POI Admin
29-05-2017, 21:02
You are shown as a Free Member, consequently you only have access to a small sample of the POIs.

To access all of them you will need to subscribe as a Full Member.

Falklandbob
02-07-2017, 09:56

Although I have been a member for sometime now I have never made use of the POI database,
If there is a kind person out there who would be prepared to help me to understand how it works I would be most grateful.
I use a GARMIN sat nav , do I download onto it or do I have to download and print out the lists??
Would be grateful for any help on this.
Best regards

FalklandBob

Wooie1958
02-07-2017, 10:06
First you need Garmin Express on your computer Garmin Express (https://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html)

Then you need Garmin POI Loader Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads (http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927)

Then download our ( Wild Camping ) POI`s onto your pc.

Then follow the instructions here https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/12541-garmin-poi-installation.html

It really is very easy :dance:

jo662
02-07-2017, 10:19
Could some one please give me the instructions to download the the POI
to a TomTom satnav as I have never tried before.

Wooie1958
02-07-2017, 10:22
All the instructions are on the POI Download page, at the top or on the right hand side of the Home page.

Wooie1958
02-07-2017, 10:26
Download our ( Wild Camping ) POI`s onto your pc.

Follow instructions here https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/48768-tomtom-poi-installation.html#post579611

Squeegee
18-09-2017, 20:34
Am I right in finally realising tat I cannot get the poi on my windows phone as it will not work google play? Please tell me I'm missing an obvious solution.

Admin
18-09-2017, 21:37
Am I right in finally realising tat I cannot get the poi on my windows phone as it will not work google play? Please tell me I'm missing an obvious solution.

Hello,

You can use our online map: https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POIMap.php
And you can use the POI database with your sat nav or on Google Earth on your PC.

Admin

Robina
18-11-2017, 17:20
The new Iberia set of POIs is not appearing in the "Choose a POI set" list even though when I check for updates I get the message that my POIs are up to date. I updated them just before. I am using an iPad.
Thanks for any help! Best, Robina

Admin
18-11-2017, 18:22
The new Iberia set of POIs is not appearing in the "Choose a POI set" list even though when I check for updates I get the message that my POIs are up to date. I updated them just before. I am using an iPad.
Thanks for any help! Best, Robina
Hello,

They are in the custom poi set.

Yorkcov
04-01-2018, 19:22
Hello,

They are in the custom poi set.

Where is the custom POI set please?
Alan

POI Admin
04-01-2018, 19:48
This refers to version 2 of the app ...

Yorkcov
04-01-2018, 20:28
This refers to version 2 of the app ...

Thanks Chris - but I still can't find the downloads for France and Spain.

Alan

POI Admin
04-01-2018, 22:38
You are enquiring about the app aren't you?

If so, if you haven't read the instructions, these can be found here:

Wild Camping APP (version 2) (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-wild-camping-app-version-2-a.html)

Yorkcov
05-01-2018, 03:17
You are enquiring about the app aren't you?

If so, if you haven't read the instructions, these can be found here:

Wild Camping APP (version 2) (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-wild-camping-app-version-2-a.html)

Hi Chris
I don't think I am inquiring about the app which seems to be for apple or android. I'm trying to download the France and Iberia aires on to my Windows laptop so that I can install them on my Garmin satnav. I've managed to do the UK ones but can't find the France ones.
Thanks

Alan

Admin
05-01-2018, 09:54
Hi Chris
I don't think I am inquiring about the app which seems to be for apple or android. I'm trying to download the France and Iberia aires on to my Windows laptop so that I can install them on my Garmin satnav. I've managed to do the UK ones but can't find the France ones.
Thanks

Alan

When you download and unzip the POI file you will find a folder called Garmin. Inside the folder are each of the csv files that you need to upload.

Todtod
31-01-2018, 13:06
Hi - Looking at an Aguri Sat Nav. The makers tell me the file format is .csv, but you don't list Aguri under the supported Sat Navs. Your guidance would be appreciated please?

MollsPhot
31-01-2018, 13:43
Hi - Looking at an Aguri Sat Nav. The makers tell me the file format is .csv, but you don't list Aguri under the supported Sat Navs. Your guidance would be appreciated please?

We had an Aguri and used the Garmin files to use the wild camping downloads. We no longer have it. The main problem with it was the lack of memory to store downloads. And that it was simply rubbish as a satnav.

Todtod
31-01-2018, 15:01
Hi - Thinking of getting an Aguri GPS but cannot see this model listed for updating the POI's. The maker tells me that the file format is .csv , but not sure how to add them as there is no guidance. Don't want to buy one if I cannot install Wildcamping POI's.

POI Admin
31-01-2018, 19:37
This page tells you how to load POIs onto an Aguri device:

Blog - How to add your own POIs (Points of interest) to your AGR700 series satellite navigation system (https://aguriworld.co.uk/index.php/blog/how-to-add-your-own-pois/)

Garmin format should work.

Be aware that the Aguri devices are basically just customised Android devices.

Perhaps you should consider buying an Android tablet and installing a satnav app ...

Guinevere
22-02-2018, 20:15
Since downloading the latest POI update I have had terrible trouble with Google Earth not responding. If I start it up using the Pub stopovers it works fine but not if I start it using Wild Camping. Has anyone else had similar difficulties?

anna1976
09-03-2018, 14:18
We have downloaded and used the POI databases on our old Sat Nav for several years. Now we have an aguri GR700; will someone please explain to two septuagenarians, in very simple terms, how we can download the databases. Many thanks to everyone for enabling us to find hundreds of superb places throughout Britain and France.

Tezza33
09-03-2018, 14:59
Blog - How to add your own POIs (Points of interest) to your AGR700 series satellite navigation system (https://aguriworld.co.uk/index.php/blog/how-to-add-your-own-pois/)

anna1976
10-03-2018, 14:54
Is there a database of wildcamping POI in Ireland, if not why? Thanks again, anna1976

POI Admin
10-03-2018, 20:03
Not at present, no.

I suggest you take a look at this website:

Motorhome Craic (http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/)

anna1976
11-03-2018, 16:14
Once again, Chris, a very big 'thank you'. You are a star! Anna

gisjbert
27-03-2018, 13:16

Could you please tell me how to activate my Mac and iPad

POI Admin
27-03-2018, 14:28
There is no need to activate your Mac. The POI zip file can be downloaded, extracted and used as required.

If you are going to use our app on the iPad please read the instructions which you'll find here:

PaulBrash
15-04-2018, 13:17
Thanks Chris

Hi, paid the subscription- how do I get an activation code?

Thanks

PaulBrash
15-04-2018, 13:42
Hi, paid the subscription- how do I get an activation code?

Thanks

Found it thanks

Donk
29-04-2018, 15:23
Have downloaded Poi's App to Android phone but also want have it on Laptop !

What version of the Link should we download, Please ?

Donk
29-04-2018, 15:25
Just see that somebody downloaded the POI's to a sat Nav.

We have a Tom Tom. Can that be used for this ?

POI Admin
29-04-2018, 20:12
The app is only available for Android and iOS devices.

If you're using a laptop I suggest that you use the online POI Map accessible through a web browser.

POI Admin
29-04-2018, 20:15
Just see that somebody downloaded the POI's to a sat Nav.

We have a Tom Tom. Can that be used for this ?

Yes you can.

Have a look at this thread to get you started:

TOMTOM POI Installation. (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/48768-tomtom-poi-installation.html)

Dorcas
08-05-2018, 10:27

Longitude 1.50237
Latitude 52.179504
Name CR Snape (B1069) (Suffolk)
Route Church Road
District Suffolk Coastal District
Locality Snape
Post Town Saxmundham
County Suffolk
Country England
Postcode IP17 1QL
Postcode Prefix IP17
Views 2

Big signs no overnight parking and same with Aldeburgh beach

POI Admin
08-05-2018, 21:12
Thanks for the information.

Aldeburgh was removed from the POIs a long time ago.

Google Streetview shows a sign at Snape, white lettering on blue background, I assume this is what you are reporting.

This is an advisory notice as it stands, and given the rural location can probably be ignored ...

moonshadow
13-05-2018, 17:58
I have downloaded the POIs before onto my iPad using maps.me. I deleted them all a while ago. I would now like them back. When I go into the download POIs bit it says I have no activated devices. I then tried to download the POI in the me.maps option and it said the bookmark were corrupted and then page not found. I'm confused it used to be so easy. I prefer to use me.maps as it can be used offline. Help!!

POI Admin
13-05-2018, 18:18
Have a look here for full instructions:

Using POI kml files with Maps.me - Maps with me. (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/53395-using-poi-kml-files-maps-me-maps-me.html)

moonshadow
13-05-2018, 20:37
Have a look here for full instructions:

Using POI kml files with Maps.me - Maps with me. (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/53395-using-poi-kml-files-maps-me-maps-me.html)

That’s what I did and I get a box titled ‘loading bookmarks’ and underneath it says ‘ Bookmarks upload failed. The file may be corrupted or defective’

Nabsim
13-05-2018, 20:53
I added the poi’s to my iPad and used the instruction linked a couple weeks ago without any bother, is it downloading them okay?

moonshadow
13-05-2018, 21:54
No, it’s not, it gives the message quoted above. I have downloaded them before with no bother but can’t now! I want them on maps.me so I can use offline.

POI Admin
13-05-2018, 23:43
A couple of ideas ...

Firstly check to see if there's an update available for maps.me. If so, allow the app to update, restart the device and try again.

If no update is available make sure you've got a good wi-fi connection, then uninstall the app, restart the device, and then reinstall the app. You'll need the wi-fi connection in case you have to download the maps again. (If you have unlimited mobile data then you could use that connection of course.)

If the problem persists I suggest you open a support ticket for Phil to take a look at the problem. Use the Contact Us option to raise a ticket.

Admin
14-05-2018, 08:31
No, it’s not, it gives the message quoted above. I have downloaded them before with no bother but can’t now! I want them on maps.me so I can use offline.

Hi,

In the error message, you say it mentions "bookmark", it is not possible to bookmark the download links and you should follow the directs below.

Can I just check that you are doing the following:

1) Open the POI Downloads page.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php

2) Scroll down to where it says " + Maps.me Maps Me", then click on the +.

3) Click on the first download link "Wild Camp".

If you now get an error it will likely be due to privacy settings on your device. If you have them set high then the device will not pass enough information to the web server to securely identify you.

Admin

moonshadow
14-05-2018, 09:26
I did what Chris suggested, deleted app restarted device and Bob's your uncle I now have POIs again! Thanks all. Now to start looking for somewhere en route to Applewood.

WellWornTraveller
17-05-2018, 14:26
Hi Gang,

I have only one Android device registered but after downloading the Wildcamping App from Playstore and inputing the activation code it just keeps telling me that I have filled my allowance of devices. Can anybody help. My new phone is a Motoroller 4.

Thanks in advance,

Bernie

dawolf
17-05-2018, 14:50
Yes it is a database - currently just under 2,500 spots throughout England, Wales and Scotland. And the next release will have lots more :)

I have attached the readme file so you can learn more - and yes it is fine on a Mac ...

Regards

ChrisI would like to say,that to become a full member,and get any Benifit,on this site.is to understand.all the jargon to be able to put the stopovers. onto sat nav and pc,now for the average,person i do not think it an easy task,so my question to you is this,would it not be possible,to have a map with all locations on it,with names of places to stop.making it easier for none tec people.

Admin
17-05-2018, 14:57
Hi Gang,

I have only one Android device registered but after downloading the Wildcamping App from Playstore and inputing the activation code it just keeps telling me that I have filled my allowance of devices. Can anybody help. My new phone is a Motoroller 4.

Thanks in advance,

Bernie

That will be fixed now.

Admin
17-05-2018, 14:59
I would like to say,that to become a full member,and get any Benifit,on this site.is to understand.all the jargon to be able to put the stopovers. onto sat nav and pc,now for the average,person i do not think it an easy task,so my question to you is this,would it not be possible,to have a map with all locations on it,with names of places to stop.making it easier for none tec people.

We could not have a paper map as the data changes every month. But we do have one on this website, just click on "POI Map" on the navigation bar near the top of the page:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POIMap.php

WellWornTraveller
18-05-2018, 14:54
That will be fixed now.

Thanks very much all sorted ready for six weeks in Scotland.

Bernie

Fifer
14-06-2018, 13:32
Hello Phil
I was sure I had previously activated my android tablet but it now says no devices activated.
Can you help?
Thanks
Thea

POI Admin
14-06-2018, 19:26
Devices are activated within the app.

Please refer to the instructions here:

Nabsim
14-06-2018, 21:54
I would like to say,that to become a full member,and get any Benifit,on this site.is to understand.all the jargon to be able to put the stopovers. onto sat nav and pc,now for the average,person i do not think it an easy task,so my question to you is this,would it not be possible,to have a map with all locations on it,with names of places to stop.making it easier for none tec people.

The app is very easy to use, the instructions for it on here are clear when you can look at app at the same time, you don’t need any techy skills for that.

A bit harder putting poi’s on your sat-nav if you have never done it and are a technophobe but there are dedicated threads for different devices so that’s fairly easy if you follow instructions I expect. I say expect as I have not bothered adding them on mine yet, I find what I want with the app or if offline maps.me the put nearest place into sat-nav or navigate with app.

Loads of ways to do it but app is real easy

jonscase
26-10-2018, 11:41
I used to have a program on my PC that linked to the database and told me if there were any updates to download and then would do it. It was a very helpful little thing. It seems to have disappeared and I cant see reference to it on the site. Is it now defunct? If still available can someone direct me to a download?

Cheers, Jon

POI Admin
26-10-2018, 15:16
This function was removed a long time ago.

Downloading the POIs is now a manual process. Please follow the link under Site Navigation.

New releases of the POI files are notified in the Community News forum.

ladyhamilton
10-11-2018, 17:17
Hi

I am trying to update the wildcamping sites on my Garmin satnav. The POI file downloads but when unzipped it comes up with
Cannot open file
ladyhamilton-213-205-198-137-POI-3zip it does not appear to be a valid archive.

I have tried downloading it again but to no avail. The toilet file worked perfectly so the theory works.

Hope you can help because it's a brilliant service which I use all the time.

Thanks

POI Admin
10-11-2018, 19:38
If the problem persists please open a Support Ticket by clicking on Contact Us ...

Phodetheus
10-01-2019, 20:46
Hi

I am looking at becoming a full member so I can have access to the POI Data in the POI Map.

Can anyone tell, or better show, what data is displayed for the POIs please.

TIA

Gary

campervanannie
11-01-2019, 03:52
I thought there was a sample that you can look at as a free member in the pois before deciding to be a full member.

Admin
11-01-2019, 09:42
Hi

I am looking at becoming a full member so I can have access to the POI Data in the POI Map.

Can anyone tell, or better show, what data is displayed for the POIs please.

TIA

Gary

Here you go:

EarthDemon
22-02-2019, 23:23
Hello

I am using the POI's via iPhone App and Mac laptop.

I am unable to find Autogas for UK via the app, is the info there?

Likewise I cannot find data on blackwater disposal points.

Help appreciated.

Many thanks

POI Admin
23-02-2019, 14:39
Autogas locations used to be provided but were found to be inaccurate so they were removed.

In the UK I have found FillLPG to be the most reliable source either via their website or their app (Android only I believe).

Black waste disposal has never been listed. The Toilet POIs may prove useful ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS